CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Another cross post from HaloGAF, this time from Heytred:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226966586&postcount=7265

I made a post arguing that removing radar would decrease auto usage and this was his response:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226967208&postcount=7267

Basically it seems like 343 found that removing radar eventually increased auto usage. Maybe that's why the pro team decided the game would be better played competitively with radar.

I don't see why the game can't be played competitively without ARs. They're detrimental to radar and no radar gameplay. I have yet to see a good argument about what they add to the game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I don't see why the game can't be played competitively without ARs. They're detrimental to radar and no radar gameplay. I have yet to see a good argument about what they add to the game.

#UniversalSettings

No this is the Discussion part of the "HWC 2017 Teams Seeds and Discussion" thread.

Discussing removing radar in a thread for HWC 2017 when radar is already confirmed to be in for HWC 2017. Seems relevant.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

are you referring to the scrim or the settings? 

I was referring to the scrim. It seemed like throughout the games you were a bit discontent with settings/how things were playing out. 

#UniversalSettings

Thats true; I know how much everybody cares when they play empire strongholds in arena and see OS instead of rockets.

• Upvote (+1) 1

pls enlighten me because as a former jump lord i haven't seen anything from the entire year of competitive halo i just witnessed 

it's really skillful how you slide into a ramp and you grab onto a ledge  :kappa:

see above post

i think i'm gonna be sick

Moses, bub, I have a great respect for you and your loyalty to Halo, but you can make your point much better than this. Two tsks for you. Don't make me go to three.

I think that the argument for the Sprint, Slide, Thrust, Clamber, Ground Pound, Hover moveset (heretofore known as SSTCGPH, pronounced "suh-suh-tuh-kuh-guh-PFFF") brings a different skill set/gap. If anyone's watched Frosty make his way around the map, you can't deny that there's a major strength in being confident in the entire Halo 5 movement ensemble.

The point my esteemed colleague Dr. _FPS is attempting to make (I think, anyway, who really knows the mind of Moses?) is that map design had to change so much to accommodate the SSTCGPH set that it's virtually unrecognizable in terms of the flow of classic Halo maps. Maps built around SSTCGPH as the main selling point of the game has so many boxes to check that you lose what made maps great in the first three Halos. You have to have ledges to clamber to, ledges to be able to jump and thrust to, gaps that need to be sprint jumped across, longer hallways to accommodate for the sprint, slide, jump, thrust movement technique.

My biggest issue with Halo 5 maps is that I feel they're built around the movement mechanics and not what makes for a good match of Halo, making them feel a bit disconnected and disjointed. They're built around making the average player feel skillful (as 343i has stated before, making you feel like you're a powerhouse Spartan) rather than actually being skillful.

Again, I'm not trying to discredit the movement skill necessary in high-end H5, but I think @Moses_FPS is correct in his assumption that it might not be as skillful as it first appears.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Another cross post from HaloGAF, this time from Heytred:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226966586&postcount=7265

I made a post arguing that removing radar would decrease auto usage and this was his response:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226967208&postcount=7267

Basically it seems like 343 found that removing radar eventually increased auto usage. Maybe that's why the pro team decided the game would be better played competitively with radar.

I honestly think this is a case of 343 making poor design choices and building this game around mechanics they thought we'd like. Part of holding back on changes is that it will probably take a lot of work to pull apart the layers of settings we don't like to give us something fun and usable and part of it has to be pride. For me, I've given up on Halo 5 becoming the game we want. I don't think it will happen. The next game is the only way we can get it because we want a mechanical redesign. I hate giving these guys another chance after 3 bad games, but Halo

• Upvote (+1) 1

Coming here to comment on the "spartan ability only radar" 

Why can't they just buff the sound of clamber, thrust, and footsteps when people are sprinting and just take out the radar completely? or would that be too much awareness for 343 to handle considering they put grenade hitmarkers, weapon timers on screen, spartan call outs, player flag markers, and radar in competitive.

Why does Halo have to be the fps where sound means very little? We have ears and headsets for a reason. 

I apologize for how little effort this took. 343 take notes

qrQVnZM.png

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ive played in both HCS events and have about 50 days played just on this account and I can truly say im going to miss the fuel rod in competitive play. It was one of the few projectile weapons in a sandbox full of hitscan weapons. The pros such as Snakebite complained about on truth not on big wide maps. It takes more skill to use than rockets on colesuem actually. I invested a lot of time into getting good with that weapon. It works fine on a big map like eden. It is a very awarding feeling to one hit someone across map with it. Why cant we have it on a Eden Slayer or Stasis flag. Hope they bring back fuel rod on one map at least. We have 14 gametypes

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Discussing removing radar in a thread for HWC 2017 when radar is already confirmed to be in for HWC 2017. Seems relevant.

Of course, I'm sorry.

Out of all the players competing in the HWC 2017, who do you guys think would see the most improvement without radar or ARs after the HWC 2017?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I apologize for how little effort this took. 343 take notes

clangclangclang.jpg

Don't you apologize, it's going right up on the fridge next to my toddler's scribbles.

Of course, I'm sorry.

Out of all the players competing in the HWC 2017, who do you guys think would see the most improvement without radar or ARs?

Ola immediately gets a buff, as well as Ryanoob and RoyBox. Where Huke hasn't really played a whole lot of Halo without radar, I think we'd see him drop off just a wee bit.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Just out of curiosity, how many viewers did the last event have when it wasn't Optic vs Envy?

Ive played in both HCS events and have about 50 days played just on this account and I can truly say im going to miss the fuel rod in competitive play. It was one of the few projectile weapons in a sandbox full of hitscan weapons. The pros such as Snakebite complained about on truth not on big wide maps. It takes more skill to use than rockets on colesuem actually. I invested a lot of time into getting good with that weapon. It works fine on a big map like eden. It is a very awarding feeling to one hit someone across map with it. Why cant we have it on a Eden Slayer or Stasis flag. Hope they bring back fuel rod on one map at least. We have 14 gametypes

If they reduced the rate of fire and maybe decreased the ammo count i think the fuel rod could be great. It's current iteration is too spammy though.

~long post~

pretty much spot on

and sorry about stating my point weakly, i've been arguing on halo forums for 11 years now

i'm a little burnt out on trying to convince people of anything but i very much appreciate those who do put in the effort

Just out of curiosity, how many viewers did the last event have when it wasn't Optic vs Envy?

i didn't record it but from what i recall it was like 20-25k

summit hosted the channel pretty early on and that helped out viewership quite a bit

• Upvote (+1) 3

That's the argument I always see, and I just don't believe it's true. The chance to bring back older Halo fans was tarnished with MCC. All of those great memories that people had of Halo 3 were forever ruined by that shitty game. And while H3A would definitely be hype, pretty much all of those fans who would actually be hype for it are buying Halo 6 anyway. There's no added benefit that I can see.

Just my opinion.

I can only speak about the people I know personally and I have at least 30-35 people I know well from college that would instantly rebuy an xbone and H3A if it came out. They all got xbones for MCC and sold them a week later. I know even more people that still own xbones but have never and will never touch H5 or any halo that resembles it in terms of spartan abilities and what not, instead they've been playing games like destiny from time to time. The audience is absolutely there for a H3A and honestly now is the only time that it would still hold well. Most people that were really into halo 3 are still in their 20's and if they want to cash in on that chance they have to act soon.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

and sorry about stating my point weakly, i've been arguing on halo forums for 11 years now

i'm a little burnt out on trying to convince people of anything but i very much appreciate those who do put in the effort

I figured as much, dood. All good, I gotchu.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can only speak about the people I know personally and I have at least 30-35 people I know well from college that would instantly rebuy an xbone and H3A if it came out. They all got xbones for MCC and sold them a week later. I know even more people that still own xbones but have never and will never touch H5 or any halo that resembles it in terms of spartan abilities and what not, instead they've been playing games like destiny from time to time. The audience is absolutely there for a H3A and honestly now is the only time that it would still hold well. Most people that were really into halo 3 are still in their 20's and if they want to cash in on that chance they have to act soon.

Bad news is, for every one of those 30 there is hundreds that don't want nosprint noabilities game. I am just happy we got to the point where we have no loadouts and even starts. I dont think classic Halo will ever be a major thing again and even if H3A will be a thing (wich I doubt), it will be just campaign with bunch of reimagined maps for Halo 5. In my eyes, after succesfully bringing Halo to new generation (both hardware and players), it makes no sense to roll back. H5 is a good game after all even if it has som glaring issues. I say bring better Halo 6, don't roll back. Honest opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hello all!

Long time reader, first time poster (please be kind  :) )

I only have one question - 343 hired plenty of ex-pro halo players (some that read these forums). What is it exactly that they do? Seeing as 343 is just now starting a public discussion about radar, and if it should be included in competitive settings, then what were these "pros" doing for the past 2+ years? Fiddling with aim settings (which we all know suck)?

Or are they just hired to fly to events, smile and high-five current pros to make things seem ok?

I originally thought the pro team were brought on to provide information and feedback on classic 4v4 arena Halo to assist 343 on making Halo a Halo game again. But not sure specifically. Sucks things move so slow with the Halo franchise..

but now they all have different jobs it seems(I could be wrong)

If you look at the pro team twitters:

Dersky: Program Manager

Ghost: just says 343 industires but we know he is now helping with maps and such similar to Halo 4. 

Neighbor: He said on here he works with the Sandbox team now which is awesome. 

Strongside: "All things HCS and Halo" Almost sounds like a Che type job. 

I wish the pro team would make it to more events(besides StrongSide because we know he casts and works on other things during the events. Would be awesome to see old faces and maybe even have them analyze the game on the analyst booth(been saying ghost should be doing this for a long time now)

oh and welcome to Beyond(posting wise :fire: )!! :)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes, radar in my opinion is a problem, it provides way too much free information - Ok. But when people complain about clamber, sprint, thrust, spartan abilities it baffles me. A game's gotta evolve. It's been, what, 15 years since Halo CE.

lmao, if you honestly think that then you're part of the problem.

Yes, we're trying to make Halo 5 as good as it can be with all that shit, and I firmly believe we can make it play amazingly well if 343 wasn't so damn stubborn with settings. It's shoved firmly up our asses and is a core part of the game.

But Halo doesn't need to 'evolve'. It doesn't need to borrow a fuck-ton of generic FPS mechanics, or abolish the variety of the weapons sandbox, or throw out the gametypes that made multiplayer fun in the first place, or destroy any kind of genuine progression, or "make me feel like a spartan". Or any of the other bullshit I haven't mentioned.

There has never been a perfect Halo game created. There's a huge list of pro's and cons of every game in the franchise yet instead of focusing on perfecting the core and staying true to the formula, 343 want to add all their own trash ideas that pull away from it. I'm not sure if it's focus groups, money, bureaucracy, laziness, or just plain ego that is causing them to consistently mess up on almost every aspect of game design, but it hasn't stopped. Yes, it gets progressively better and worse but there's something inherently wrong with that studio.

So fuck Halo 'evolving', and fuck the devs who keep running away from what made Halo fun in the first place.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The worst thing about roster mania is the peple acting like they have inside sources.

:intel:  :intel:  :intel:  :intel:

• Upvote (+1) 2

You're adding so much to the conversation by complaining about. Let the mods determine if the thread is going too off topic or not. You guys seriously trigger the fuck out of me.
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Bad news is, for every one of those 30 there is hundreds that don't want nosprint noabilities game. I am just happy we got to the point where we have no loadouts and even starts. I dont think classic Halo will ever be a major thing again and even if H3A will be a thing (wich I doubt), it will be just campaign with bunch of reimagined maps for Halo 5. In my eyes, after succesfully bringing Halo to new generation (both hardware and players), it makes no sense to roll back. H5 is a good game after all even if it has som glaring issues. I say bring better Halo 6, don't roll back. Honest opinion.

Why are so many people even in the CoD community begging for boots on the ground gameplay then? And they didnt successfully bring halo to a new generation, halo 5 plays so little like classic halo games, I don't even consider it a halo, it's a decent game but it's not halo. I don't think there are really that many people clamoring for halo to have all sorts of movement options, its that 343 wanted to try to suck some of the playerbase away from CoD and so a lot of people have just gotten used to it being there.

• Upvote (+1) 5