CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Street fighter 5 just got 92 pages of patch notes, we get one paragraph lol

Jesus Christ are you really comparing a fighting game to a FPS...

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Truth is actually midship with Camo. Why did it not launch like this last year? It's the most fun I've had on Truth.

Still wish there was plasma nade start on slayer
  • Upvote (+1) 6

finally caught up with the thread.

dont know where to find memes or gifs relevant to this so i'll just go back to being bad on halo too :(

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes, LoL is huge. I'm not sure we even disagree?

I'm saying that from a first principles perspective, Halo is a better eSport in all the ways that should matter. The simplicity of the game is far more understandable for the average viewer, and great plays are viscerally obvious on the screen. The concept of being in a 3D space and trying to out-maneuver and out-shoot the opponent is intuitive and compelling compared to the abstract push-pull mechanics at work in LoL. Unique plays like an unusual jump, a flank, or some kind of trick flag throw (to name a few) rarely require in-depth explanation about the mechanics, and more commonly play upon principles in the game that a naive viewer could have guessed.

The pacing of the game can be breakneck and fast, like hockey, or deliberately slow and suspenseful, like baseball. It can involve carefully organized and planned pushes, like football, or organic flow like soccer. A game lasts the right amount of time, and has optimal excitement characteristics in terms of upset possibilities: the clock is a factor, but a strongholds game can stop at 99-0 and end 99-100 somewhat easily.

But above all of this, one player can take the game, put it on their back, and absolutely shit on people's life. A Halo player that suddenly catches fire can change a match so convincingly that it's just pure spectacle. Counterstrike and CoD don't give you that to the same level, because the kill-speed is so fast that a 10-kill spree is simultaneously less likely and less impressive. Each kill happens so fast that if you actually managed 10 unanswered kills, you probably just had some luck on your side in each encounter and caught the enemy off guard. If you don't catch them off guard, their capability to put damage on you is so high that you're just not going to win the twitch battle 10 times in a row. Whereas a Halo kill takes long enough that it's less twitch response and more like a miniature chess match in of itself. Meanwhile a player in LoL is simply too constrained by the mechanics of the game to run away with things like that. In LoL each kill takes agonizingly long, like a soccer game that goes scoreless. LoL is a war of attrition.

The one thing Halo sucks at is having a huge, huge number of people who play it competitively and are excited to watch it on twitch. And you can argue that the proof is in the pudding, and if it were a good competitive game it _would_ have viewers, and similarly that LoL is good because it does have viewers. Well, sorry, no, I don't think the crowd is correct, I think they're just the crowd. Millions and millions of people drink Bud Light every day, that doesn't make it good. It makes it cheap.

You are wrong, a perfect LoL player playing adc will destroy an entire team by himself, he will never miss a minion, will always sidestep all the skillshots like a robot, will kite like a god , will build the perfect item for the game, will have perfect back times and buys. Will have perfect shotcalling and will have perfect teamfighting. LoL has a higher skill ceiling and a higher skill gap than any console game ever.
  • Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

i'm 75% happy, and 25% suicidal. 

figuratively, of course. 

75% happy and 25% suicidal? I know some professors who would love to study that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You are wrong, a perfect LoL player playing adc will destroy an entire team by himself, he will never miss a minion, will always sidestep all the skillshots like a robot, will kite like a god , will build the perfect item for the game, will have perfect back times and buys. Will have perfect shotcalling and will have perfect teamfighting. LoL has a higher skill ceiling and a higher skill gap than any console game ever.

Guess I don't know enough about LoL to comment. Can anyone else weigh in on the assertion that a perfect LoL player could destroy an entire team themselves? I would have thought that to be impossible even with perfect mechanics, but maybe I'm not appreciating how possible it is to juke / damage other players disproportionately. 

Keep in mind I'm saying a player with perfect mechanics, not perfect strategy. Obviously if we prefigure that the player does everything literally perfectly, they win by definition. Imagine more like you had a good, top player driving around a character and calling all the shots, but having the devil's hands.

Can't say too much but Ace and APG will be running games with 2 other people tomorrow...  (Can't say who but its obvious)

Just say it or don't bother lmao

• Upvote (+1) 4

Can't say too much but Ace and APG will be running games with 2 other people tomorrow... (Can't say who but its obvious)

Totz and Gilkey (its obvious).

Just say it or don't bother lmao

Thought it would be interesting enough to hear that ACE and APG running as 2 lol.  Well i edited my post in order to save my rep.  ARE YOU HAPPY NOW.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Guess I don't know enough about LoL to comment. Can anyone else weigh in on the assertion that a perfect LoL player could destroy an entire team themselves? I would have thought that to be impossible even with perfect mechanics, but maybe I'm not appreciating how possible it is to juke / damage other players disproportionately.

Keep in mind I'm saying a player with perfect mechanics, not perfect strategy. Obviously if we prefigure that the player does everything literally perfectly, they win by definition. Imagine more like you had a good, top player driving around a character and calling all the shots, but having the devil's hands.

My friend and I used to be huge into watching pro Halo in the H3 days. Since then he has spent most of his time playing LoL. I never played or watched, but was at his house for the big tournament they had a couple months ago. As I was watching, I kept asking questions trying to get a grasp on the game. All the while, I kept checking twitch and youtube to see that the tournament had so many of the top channels on both.

After watching like 3 matches I felt like I had a decent understanding of the major happenings. Yet, I still knew there were all kinds of details that I was missing. It just seemed there was too much going on to digest most of it.

We switch over to the HCS Pro League and it has 8k viewers. Nowhere near LoL. I started to ask myself how a game so complicated could have such a massive following. It feels backwards, purely from the spectator experience. Even if you don't know Halo as a game, I feel like when a play happens it is much easier to make heads and tails of it. Even if you don't understand the meta, you can pretty easily tell when a team/player makes a good play. When we were watching LoL one of the teams had won a couple battles in a row, and I was under the assumption the winner of those battles was set up to win. However my friend explained that although the other team lost some major battles, based on the characters, they would likely win because they were built for a late game push.

How can you keep up with all of the characters, the large map, gold, armies, and all of the other elements of a League game? I think that the average LoL fan can't (not taking shots at them), but it just goes to show that the complexity of the game doesn't necessarily deter viewers.

I'll end this by coming back to Halo. After Halo 3 it was tough to keep watching tournaments. I watched some Reach, but didn't watch anything until I saw something X games on Espn. I thought wow that's cool for Halo, I'll check it out. But, what really got me back into halo was watching a video that Towey made. I can't remember which one, bit I was blown away. It made me feel attached to the game again. I became addicted to his stream and became a huge fan of EG. I really believe it was the content that brought me back. Once I felt personally attached, I couldn't get enough. Hopefully this potential TV show can do the same for others. Optic has nailed this with all of their conent, and I have to give Towey some props as well.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'll end this by coming back to Halo. After Halo 3 it was tough to keep watching tournaments. I watched some Reach, but didn't watch anything until I saw something X games on Espn. I thought wow that's cool for Halo, I'll check it out. But, what really got me back into halo was watching a video that Towey made. I can't remember which one, bit I was blown away. It made me feel attached to the game again. I became addicted to his stream and became a huge fan of EG. I really believe it was the content that brought me back. Once I felt personally attached, I couldn't get enough. Hopefully this potential TV show can do the same for others. Optic has nailed this with all of their conent, and I have to give Towey some props as well.

@@Towey does a fantastic job and I also enjoy everything he creates.

Content is one of the key elements to CoD being such a craze. I was even hooked for a little while and I don't enjoy that game at all. 

Jesus Christ are you really comparing a fighting game to a FPS...

Great point. We should talk about how much more extensive Battlefield 1's patch notes have been than H5's instead.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think the level of competition is insanely high in LoL, far far higher than Halo 5. I'm sure the strategy and meta for LoL are being pushed to absurd levels, and the amount of effort you'd have to put in to be at the top level is ungodly. 

But I also believe that a perfect Halo 5 player would stand above the competition far higher than the perfect LoL player. Somebody who perfectly used the information at their disposal to predict spawns, threw perfect grenades, never missed a shot, never missed a jump, always perfectly buffered their melees, shots, ground pound etc. given the situation? That player would be a god in a way that you just couldn't have in LoL. That player could win 1v4 against nV or Optic. The skill ceiling, even if it's not actually achievable, is crazy high.

Bruhhhhhhhhhhhh

First of all dude League of Legends is an entirely different game built for PCs/Laptops. And yes, the level of competition is extremely high because the game has around 60million + unique players per month across the globe. 

When you said, "the player would be a god in a way that you couldn't have in LoL" is simply untrue. I'm not sure if you're aware of the scene but there are ridiculously high level 'God-tier' players i.e. Faker, Pray, Uzi (when he was good), Bengi, Ambition etc.

The other thing is an FPS shooter, LoL is a MOBA / RTS...

Halo has far too many variants in the game for a 'God-tier' player to emerge i.e. power weapons, spawns, randomness (you run along and find a scattershot on the floor or rockets or a sniper with 3 bullets in it), glitches (very seldom).

I know LoL pretty well, and in fact placed Plat 3 last season, Plat 4 the season before and placed Diamond 5 on the Garena servers. I love Halo but I pretty much suck at it 

HERE HERE

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

How to make comp Halo 6 great:

No radar

No sprint

No clamber

No autos on map, lower range and power for AR

Wow, look at that. Took me a whole minute.

Also, if settings are integrated across arena, why do SWAT and Infection have different settings? Honestly, this whole universal settings thing hurts everyone. If no radar or an ability only radar (this would seriously accomplish nothing) was implemented into standard settings, which they probably will be, there's going to be even more animosity towards competitive players and this community.

So basically Halo 2...

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5