CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

@@Mhunterjr

But traditional sports teams can't jump ship after season or when things are tough, it damages fan bases. I'm all for investment but a revolving door of esports organisations isn't a good thing.

@@careh

I was more talking about rights belonging to 343i HCS rather than ESL. But i do understand the mess it causes.

Even with 343 at the helm such heavy dependence is never a good idea. Look at the current situation where for all intensive purposes we are utterly helpless dependent on 343 and all the issues and anxieties that brings.

A healthy scene produces it's own form of stability, see CSGO.

OT - tekken7 looks hype af

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There's no reason to take so much flexibility away from players. But you do need a governing body to create a rule system that provides stability.

I don't think have the league operator owning the teams would help esports be "taken seriously". in traditional sports, third party orgs run their squads. The difference is the governing body sets limits on player transactions, and decides which organizations can participate and unions protect players rights.

many traditional sports orgs are investing in/ buying esports orgs. So I'd say it's already being taken seriously.

One thing i found interesting working at a bank outside od dc was seeing pro sports players deposit their checks. For basketball players, their check comes from the players association vs the team itself.

Something like this could be good for halo. We need a players association that offers legal representation when negotiating with the league and orgs, ensuring that players are represented fairly and that they understand their contracts/responsibilities with orgs and the hcs and also ensure proper pay.

For the most part, these are kids signing contracts and maybe not understanding their rights/responsibilities within that contract. This is most likely why players can bitch their way out of a contract and why some orgs can pull shady shit and screw over players. A players association or union like you mentioned could bring a lot of stability on this front

• AGL for life.

Pro League kills community involvement and hype, heard the same from other games too.

@@Tashi continuing to ignore this site still shows they don't get it, always with the we need to do better

OpTic Top 1

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Panic bought the ALG skins like I did with the CLG skins.  I'm beginning to think that I have an obsession with skins/MT cosmetics that become unobtainable lmao.  I do the same thing in Overwatch.

@@Mhunterjr

But traditional sports teams can't jump ship after season or when things are tough, it damages fan bases. I'm all for investment but a revolving door of esports organisations isn't a good thing.

Actually they typically CAN leave (by selling their spot generally, since major sports teams tend to have legal obligations as well). They generally don't because of the size of the investment and the ROI they are getting even during bad seasons -thanks to the success of the leagues overall..

Thats was missing from halo esports. A chance at ROI even if your team doesnt perform exceptionally well. THAT'S why we see so much turnover prom players and orgs alike.

We need a structure where you dont have to make it into an 6 or 8 team pro league in order to get stream time or a shot air time or tournament placement. A system that makes it financially viable for teams to stay together even after a dissapointing finish.

Tashi on pro league favortism stunting growth (from NeoGaf):

Currently, HCS actually has strong momentum with growing viewership

First, I would love to see Tashi being here more often. I get that it can be rough here but there is also a passion and love about Halo that is incredible strong.

What numbers does he use when talking about strong momentum and growing viewership?

The HCS Pro League 2016 North American Summer Qualifier had pretty much the same average that the HCS Las Vegas 2017 Qualifiers. Of course you get more total views if you have a lot more events, but that doesn´t mean you gained unique viewers (and that is the growth Halo needs).

I would love to be wrong, but after studying SullyGnome I just don´t see any strong momentum at all. Please, someone, tell me that I am wrong.

I could see 343 ditching hcs at some point soon. If it doesnt kill itself first. A small team running a competitive league is a joke. 450 employees at 343i, and the hcs team is small. Just like the current halo 5 team.

• Downvote (-1) 2

[*]Pro League kills community involvement and hype, heard the same from other games too.

What would you have in place of pro league?

I love have weekly Halo to watch.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What would you have in place of pro league?

I love have weekly Halo to watch.

Events (which have been announced), but do away with Pro League. It doesn't build the community in anyway and I would bet most players dislike it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Remember before halo 5 when this thread was like 66 pages of straight dank memes??

ff22b39de24a13ea67d8bc78fff62caaeaa60e3d

• Upvote (+1) 3

Events (which have been announced), but do away with Pro League. It doesn't build the community in anyway and I would bet most players dislike it.

Why do away with pro league though? Even if it doesn't build the community it's great for people already interested.

Also it's a very cheap way of producing lots of content for us.

Pro league is good that it gives us something to watch each week that matters. Its just a shame its online and the servers are ass. Also more pro league spots for NA is a necessity at this point. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Been sick for a couple days and just getting caught up...

TIL: some people here have a really fucked up relationship with money.

I am much sadder about Alg leaving halo than is probably healthy.

We still dont know the pool structure for worlds.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why do away with pro league though? Even if it doesn't build the community it's great for people already interested.

Also it's a very cheap way of producing lots of content for us.

because it doesn't grow the scene, you handcuff x amount of teams and it turns the rest of the community and orgs from wanting to play. While some enjoy it, it doesn't help in the long term. I know people want to discount Gears even though it's the perfect example, but you are seeing them having tons of open events and fight nights which is helping grow their scene.

Pro league is good that it gives us something to watch each week that matters. Its just a shame its online and the servers are ass. Also more pro league spots for NA is a necessity at this point.

Pro league is automatically better now that all teams are included in finals

• Upvote (+1) 4

It will be interpreting to see if Worlds can beat last years numbers...because the growth have been pretty much zero imho.

Stats from SullyGnome (awesome, you should try it). Halo channel average viewers the last year.

yDZWBuL.png

Need some axis titles on this bad boy  :simms:

Out of interest I assume the last 2 peaks are Fall finals and Vegas.  These must represent what Tashi is talking about but considering what happened between (Online qualifiers and UGC)  these are really low numbers.  IMO these were very poorly advertised (maybe not so much UGC) which is likely the main cause but i have to agree, very little sign of growth unless you count a couple of well viewed events.  A big test will be how well worlds and the next pro league does. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Anyone know mlg viewership in 2009?

Don't believe we have numbers for those, @ would be the best bet for that.

Also probably doesn't help that players leave Orgs right when the team starts to become successful so they don't have to give them a fair share....

You have no idea what you are talking about if you're talking about us
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Lots of esports have league formats nowadays, I see no reason to get rid of Pro League. I think, if it needed to be changed (which it does), it should have more teams and be tied to Worlds in some way (see: Rocket League).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone know mlg viewership in 2009?

@ answered this in a previous thread.

#s from 2004-2010ish were obviously flawed as streaming was no where near what it is today, but I think we did 40,000-80,000ish on average, depending on who was playing.

However, in 2007 when we put Halo on TV every Saturday morning, we nearly quadrupled eleague's ratings:

http://tnl.media/esportsinfographics/mlgvseleagueratings

• Upvote (+1) 3