CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I really do not understand all of the criticism here.

The team which everyone expected to go through went through.

The only 4 people with any reason to complain is team cryptic as they were playing at 2am whilst shotzy and co were at 11pm.

But we have ryanoob here defending the tournament organizers and just simply accepting defeat.

He has not gone full blown emo, like other professionals. He has accepted it and moved on.

Why are we complaining if the team who was worst affected is not?

I don't get your point?

If a stream had major issues but the pros were okay with it at the Venue does that make it okay? The simple answer is no.

I have nothing but respect for Ryan and his team (and was rooting for them yesterday) - that doesn't mean it's acceptable for viewers to have a tournament going on til 2-3am for the US.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't know what people expected from Ogre 2...he was asked to play after not practicing at a top level for a while. Also, the fact that this game has radar naturally means a lot of the emphasis on skill shifts away from intelligence and towards brute mechanical skill which obviously makes it even worse for someone who is rusty.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I fell asleep on the couch. Woke up at 2am. Too lazy to get up. Turn on twitch. The Halo event is still going.

Lmao wut

Why don't they start playing the games on Friday to avoid this?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Oh lawdy

And just for the record i have been battling depression and anxiety since 2003, it is not an excuse for him to act like he does.

Redacted 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know what people expected from Ogre 2...he was asked to play after not practicing at a top level for a while. Also, the fact that this game has radar naturally means a lot of the emphasis on skill shifts away from intelligence and towards brute mechanical skill which obviously makes it even worse for someone who is rusty.

Hence why he was a terrible pick up 

There were some amazing series last night. Unfortunately I wasn't able to stay up and watch the grand finals because of how late the tournament ran.

I was pretty bummed to see that Cryptik couldn't pull it off. It would have made for a great storyline to see Devon make it to Worlds after being dropped from EG, and I wanted to finally see Ryanoob see the success that I personally think he deserves.

At the same time, it's really cool that Splyce made it in. With the PNDA pro seed drama that happened, it's great that Bubu and Shooter were able to make it and hopefully meet up with Cratos and PNDA somewhere in the bracket.

Overall, I have very high hopes for Worlds in a couple weeks. Barring any technical issues, stupid amounts of Halo Wars 2 adverts, videos of REQ expansions from mid-2016, or long delays between series, I think it will be a great event for viewers at home.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I really do not understand all of the criticism here.

The team which everyone expected to go through went through.

The only 4 people with any reason to complain is team cryptic as they were playing at 2am whilst shotzy and co were at 11pm.

But we have ryanoob here defending the tournament organizers and just simply accepting defeat.

He has not gone full blown emo, like other professionals. He has accepted it and moved on.

Why are we complaining if the team who was worst affected is not?

I would like to add, that time zone diiferences are just a common problem across all e-sports, it is very hard to plan for and players must accept that. I.e in call of duty european teams play in the na 2 and 4ks. If they make it to the semi's and finals they are playing at anywhere between 3 - 4 am. They do not complain, they recognize that is something they may have to deal with from time to time.

The forum agenda is to complain about anything not MLG

The forum agenda is to complain about anything not MLG

That's because anything not MLG has been consistently nonsensical and a chore to watch.

• Downvote (-1) 2

That's not a good excuse. He was playing fine individually at Vegas.

• Upvote (+1) 2

worlds brings out the best in the overall competitive scene. When the AM's have something to play for, we see great Halo. 

On another note, I had a chat with one of my uni friends as I was half watching the matches and he said if it wasn't for me he wouldn't know that competitive halo was a thing. Which tells me, whatever they're doing to advertise the scene (if anything) it isn't reaching many new people. The only things I've seen are on twitter which isn't enough to get constant new viewers. My friend is a pc gamer and I get the same response from other pc gamers. It's clear to me that h6 needs to be on pc on steam not the windows store and they need to get people from this demographic (as it's the largest) to know about the scene.

So you have depression yourself but you are surprised when someone with depression acts depressed?

The things with Spartans tweets is that I find they are ... just.. you know

really easy not to read.

Or easy to mute

or unfollow

aka who cares?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Damn, Cryptik lost! I was rooting for them, but it was probably a hell of a series and they put up a fight. Can't wait to see splyce at worlds though!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Splyce played an awful lot of matches, they went the distance two times and still had stamina to beat TC in two bo7

• Upvote (+1) 1

What specifically would you do to fix the problem? Many times on these forums we bash people who we think are doing wrong things without figuring out how it could be run better. Instead of just incessantly flaming, we can work together to figure out a solution and then flame when they still don't do it right.

I think it's something that needs to be talked about with the players. It might be a hassle to organise but would people prefer to play for 1-2 series on nights during the week (totalling an hour or so) or just play all day Saturday/Sunday? I feel like its possible to get all the early matches out of the way early until we're left with the final 8 teams or so and then you could easily run a stream for that over 2 days without having any major issues.

Again this is something that the players would have to agree to and certain people may not be able to play their matches during the week due to other commitments but really the only way to resolve the problem is to give yourselves more time.

I've stolen this idea from Counterstrike events (groups/qualification for finals happens during the week and then the finals happen over the weekend)

The main issue was that every series was a bo7. No way in hell you finish a 16 team tournament with loser bracket and bo7 every round in one day.

• Upvote (+1) 6

The main issue was that every series was a bo7. No way in hell you finish a 16 team tournament with loser bracket and bo7 every round in one day.

I'd like to see open portion on Friday or maybe the previous weekend then make the Top 16 teams play WB / LB on Saturday and Sunday.

BO7 seem important to players, not sure they would want BO5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Cratos did kinda "suck" for a while. His game knowledge and decision making was covering for relatively poor mechanical skill.

He was absolutely shitting at vegas though. Firing on all cylinders. Stepped his game up.

Personally and morally - Fuck panda.  I'm still salty about the stolen seed and Naded claiming that nothing shady happened.  I will never get over that because i have you know... morals. I hope they finish dead last.

Gameplay wise though... Cratos' and company were shitting for all of vegas. Cratos' shot in particular was on fire like I have never seen for him.  The whole team played well and beat who they had to beat.  They had an easier champ bracket, but i can't put the blame on them for that honestly.  That's all 343 and their 16k point gift.  They should have had to fight through the Open bracket, but I don't see the extra practice hurting them lol.

TL;DR - I wish panda wasn't at worlds, but from their gameplay they deserve it so kudos to them. The only way i see them not getting top 6 is if they end up in the same pool as Fab, lose a couple times and get a shitty bracket. 

I would like to add, that time zone diiferences are just a common problem across all e-sports, it is very hard to plan for and players must accept that. I.e in call of duty european teams play in the na 2 and 4ks. If they make it to the semi's and finals they are playing at anywhere between 3 - 4 am. They do not complain, they recognize that is something they may have to deal with from time to time.

I agree which is why it is essential to know the schedule well in advance. And 2 streams would help.

If i'm Cryptik last night and I learn that there will be at least 2 hours before the next time im playing and its getting towards midnight im taking a nap.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd like to see open portion on Friday or maybe the previous weekend then make the Top 16 teams play WB / LB on Saturday and Sunday.

BO7 seem important to players, not sure they would want BO5.

Yesterday I was driving home from South Carolina, so I missed the majority of the matches.

I got an update from Kory at 4 PM (Central) that EG and CryptiK were going to be facing off in Winners Finals.

I got home at 8 PM, and Winners Finals was not yet over.  The series was only 3 games in.

I'm just wondering why it took them 4 hours to play 3 games of Winners Finals.  Were they streaming Winners Semis? (If so, this is the big thing to fix for future tournaments.  Don't stream unnecessary matches for an online tourney and put the whole tournament behind.)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yesterday I was driving home from South Carolina, so I missed the majority of the matches.

I got an update from Kory at 4 PM (Central) that EG and CryptiK were going to be facing off in Winners Finals.

I got home at 8 PM, and Winners Finals was not yet over. The series was only 3 games in.

I'm just wondering why it took them 4 hours to play 3 games of Winners Finals. Were they streaming Winners Semis? (If so, this is the big thing to fix for future tournaments. Don't stream unnecessary matches for an online tourney and put the whole tournament behind.)

ALG vs Splyce was pretty Hype.

So my thoughts on yesterday. Keep in mind I'm from the EU.

Awesome series and first of all congrats to Splyce, I would have been fine with either of the teams in the grand finals, both played so well the whole day.

The waiting times and especially the time when EG and Cryptik had to wait 2 hours for the Halo stream to start, eventhough they were ready were horrible. I know they wanted the LB to catch up but man that was bad and built a lot of momentum for Splyce and ALG.

I started watching Ryan's stream at 7pm on sunday here in Germany but only could stay awake after they beat EG at like 3AM, I woke up at 7am and the grandfinals still wasnot done. I was perplexed.

Like others said split the LCQ qualification and the LCS winnerbracket over 2 weekends, make the Bracketplay 2 days.. Bo7 are important for worlds, I get that, but that was unacceptably long, as a viewer and I imagine as a Player.

Last but not least, @Ryannoob @@Prototype and idk if Dastroyed and Devon are here, you guys played really well and did an amazing run, you also really deserved to be at worlds, but I think Ryan said it during his stream, if Splyce made it somehow to the grandfinals, they would be insanely good, he would prefer to play EG 2 times.

Amazing series'.

Oh yeah, and I can't help but laugh at ALG's squad, dropping Danoxide and then not even making worlds themselves but he is, is kinda ironic, though I don't feel sad for them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So we all agree that Orge 2 is the GOAT, but I'm sorry Tommy boy last night played like the poop mouth legend. He did have the most assists in almost every game, but he could barley break a .5 KD... it was kind of insane to see someone get shit on that consistently and the series still go to a BO7. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know we are quick to complain but nothing should run until 3am EST on a Monday unless you're seeing LOTR at a midnight show. I don't want to hear what WE should do to improve it, obviously it has to be planned out better. We aren't the ones getting paid to run these event, THEY ARE.

Congrats to Splyce for winning, wish I would have seen it live - and props again to @@TheSimms for pulling an all-nighter to cast for NA.

It's as simple as just starting it earlier. They started the stream a round too early as well. I know ALG vs Splyce is a big matchup, but we really should of only been watching the top 3.

7 game series may also be just a tad bit too much. I have zero issues for big matches being a Bo5.

Finally, the time in between matches is insane. There's no reason to have commercial breaks. Let the players play at their pace and follow along.

Would of cut stream time down from gameplay alone a few hours by just doing those 3 things and not to mention the stream starts sooner because the series prior are running faster.