CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I feel like I should throw it out there that Halo isn't like CoD or CS where 4v4/5v5 is the definitive competitive experience. Lots of players have been discovered through doubles or FFA. I don't think removing viewable ranking systems from those playlists would help the cause.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This is my main concern with the new radar they will be testing later this week. Are they going to insist on putting it everywhere, like when they make the HCS map variants the main variants across playlists, or will they keep it Team Arena only, or Ranked only?

I believe in universal settings in the sense that all "Competitive" play should use the same settings so we are comparing apples to apples, but not across-playlists.

Yeah,

When i say Universal Settings i mean the expectation that disparate groups (casual,core,pro/am) are playing the exact same game. That's what happened when H5 last April when 343 turned Team Arena into the HCS playlist without providing objective playlists for core and casual players.

Obviously any pro/am level event should be abiding by a single ruleset. Thats always been the case. But that ruleset shouldnt be influenced by a segment of the community who doesnt even care about competitive halo (as it is now).

I feel like I should throw it out there that Halo isn't like CoD or CS where 4v4/5v5 is the definitive competitive experience. Lots of players have been discovered through doubles or FFA. I don't think removing viewable ranking systems from those playlists would help the cause.

They should definately have viewable ranking systems. They just should be marketly different from CSR which should be a measure of "competitive skill" in the competitive playlist.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 may not being doing everything right, but I think we still need to greatly appreciate what they ARE doing. Very few games have the same level of developer support. Even CSGO is primarily 3rd party ran. Valve hadn't really been involved very much until the most recent ELEAGUE finals.

Unfortunately Halo isn't in a place where it can be self-sustainable as an Esport because sponsorship advertising is something around 75-80% of Esports revenue, and sponsors are decreasingly interested in console Esports. There are companies like ASTRO and Scuf who are heavily invested in the community, but they cannot support the ecosystem alone.

So while 343 isn't perfect, I think we are pretty fortunate to have the support we do have.

You are absolutely right, but when you do something, why not do it properly ? They are not inventing esports, they are doing something that has history, and just by looking back you should be able to set up some kind of standard. Its not the budget that is preventing many of those problems being eliminated and you know that.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

343 may not being doing everything right, but I think we still need to greatly appreciate what they ARE doing. Very few games have the same level of developer support. Even CSGO is primarily 3rd party ran. Valve hadn't really been involved very much until the most recent ELEAGUE finals.

Unfortunately Halo isn't in a place where it can be self-sustainable as an Esport because sponsorship advertising is something around 75-80% of Esports revenue, and sponsors are decreasingly interested in console Esports. There are companies like ASTRO and Scuf who are heavily invested in the community, but they cannot support the ecosystem alone.

So while 343 isn't perfect, I think we are pretty fortunate to have the support we do have.

In terms of ad revenue, id be pretty turned off as an advertiser if i saw this event and watched countless halo wars 2 ads and very few of the paid sponsor.

Digging a little deeper, it turns out there is a forge contest for ghost in the shell. Why not mention that at all? Or at the end of the day (if they can finish at a decent time) do the top 10/bottom 10 plays brought to you by ____. Or even cut to to <sponsor name> feature station. Or better yet, B stream brought to you by _____.

343 is missing out on multiple opportunities every where to include sponsors or player input.

I am grateful that they are still funding this scene and that we still have halo, but that doesnt mean i dont want to see it grow or cant point out the dumb things they do

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo is complex when it comes to applying ranking systems. Mhunter and I debated about it in this thread.

(TL;DR: Team Arena, Doubles, FFA should be the only ranked playlists)

Everyone should share their thoughts in that thread pls :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think the community undervalues the fact that our program and support exists, we just question the experience, competence, and decision-making of the people running it.

You are absolutely right, but when you do something, why not do it properly ? They are not inventing esports, they are doing something that has history, and just by looking back you should be able to set up some kind of standard. Its not the budget that is preventing many of those problems being eliminated and you know that.

Fine points. Completely agree.

They need to bring in someone that can properly run esports on a bigger scale, OR partner with mlg and call it a day. 

Watch the Optic podcast on both competitive cod and Halo. Both Pro scenes are equally as frustrated.

Havent listened yet but from what i understand, COD devs do respond to players concerns, but the base game is so bad that there's very little setttings changes can do to improve matters this go round.

Halo 5 update is out.

• Sniper nerfed out of scope
  • Plasma Caster nerfed
  • Icarus fixed
  • Forge frame rate issues resolved 
  • and more.

2.4GB update on console, not sure on PC.

wow this game takes up over 20% of the storage on a standard xb1

i am happy with this update. maybe with the framerate fix for forge we can see some player created maps next season for hcs

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo 5 update is out.

• Plasma Caster nerfed
  • Icarus fixed
  • and more.
Is the SA radar playlist out?

Is the SA radar playlist out?

9th apparently but it might get pushed forward to today because I think the update was originally coming on the 9th too.

• Upvote (+1) 2

i am happy with this update. maybe with the framerate fix for forge we can see some player created maps next season for hcs

Is there even a reason for no forge maps in rotation? It seems like a missed opportunity, there are sure to be many competitive maps made.

Swear they fixed this in the last update or something. It definitely made it better regardless, hopefully this fixes it completely.

I would actually love it if somebody could explain to me why H5 is such a big game. MCC is smaller and that has an enormous amount of content in it. Look at Halo Reach, its something like 11/12 GB. What's going on?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 5 update is out.

• Plasma Caster nerfed
  • Icarus fixed
  • and more.

2.28 GB on PC.  Downloading now to test the aiming... hopefully its fixed

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would actually love it if somebody could explain to me why H5 is such a big game. MCC is smaller and that has an enormous amount of content in it. Look at Halo Reach, its something like 11/12 GB. What's going on?

for whatever reason, all audio is uncompressed. this includes voice lines for different languages

• Upvote (+1) 2