CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Also why doesn't the broadcast promote team skins? Every time optic, NV, ALG, eg are on screen, just say you can go and buy the skins at halo.gg. it's so simple yet they don't do it.

Yeah and tell me why are skins not available for purchase in game all the time. Hard to find reasoning for that.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Man reading that makes me sad. I only started watching halo with halo 5 and think they h5 is actually a pretty good game. I get it's not the most popular opinion here, but barring one or two things (automatics, I'm looking at you) I think h5 is pretty great.

I wouldn't have been involved in HCS if it wasn't for beyond.

Halo 5 had tons of potential but 343 never made big changes in settings and maps but I still think Halo 5 is a good game but could be better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Man reading that makes me sad. I only started watching halo with halo 5 and think they h5 is actually a pretty good game. I get it's not the most popular opinion here, but barring one or two things (automatics, I'm looking at you) I think h5 is pretty great.

I wouldn't have been involved in HCS if it wasn't for beyond.

I can see how some newcomers can be thrown off. Most of them would be Halo 5 fans who are full of optimism to check out the competitive scene for a game they enjoy, whereas people here have seen pro Halo at its peak, seen what has worked, and put a lot of effort into building the scene, only to continually see the same mistakes made. I would assume if you have no expectation for an event and enjoyed the gameplay, it would be a downer and a bit frustrating to see so many posts about production flaws.

Same goes for the settings discussions for those whose halo experience is sprint and radar, however unfortunate for them.

• Upvote (+1) 3

>be life long halo fan

>watch the matches Sunday and enjoy all the new teams having success even though NV lost

>so happy for Naded

>come to TB and read the same 8 power users complain about low veiwership, lack of advertisements and sponsors, terrible event arrangements, and how Halo is basically dead

>realize I've been trying my controller cord into a noose

>retreat to /r/halo and continue to live in positive ignorance

I have to admit, since I work weekends I end up having to avoid TB and social media to watch rebroadcasts. From what I saw I thought it was one of the best tournaments I've seen in awhile and I can't honestly pinpoint anything I found annoying about the production.

After I finished it I kind of didn't want to come here because I just assumed it'd put a damper on that impression tbh, so I see where you're coming from. It's kind of nice to stay out of the community/feedback and just enjoy watching the crazy games.

Just came here to read Lethul's posts since he posted something on twitter and couldn't help but go back a few pages.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Maybe Alg will take him over Trippey ?

I mean maybe but im more interested in seeing if EG makes a change cause if they dont, they are not even going to come close in the LCQ

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The only realistic upgrade I see for Devon is maybe Ryanoob's team. Wasn't Prototype talking about calling it quits/taking a break, but didn't want to bail on his team just before Vegas?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why they don't just have Team Arena as the HCS/HWC playlist where settings can be tailored specifically for the pros that anyone can jump in and play and then add an objective playlist with the standard ones I don't know.

I mean maybe but im more interested in seeing if EG makes a change cause if they dont, they are not even going to come close in the LCQ

I am not happy to say this, but I dont think anyone notable would like to take his lcq chances with eg. Its pretty obvious now where is "the problem" with Eg. No one will magically make them better.

Best chance for Eg is to stay as they are and try to go with clear mind and give it everything they have.

I am not happy to say this, but I dont think anyone notable would like to take his lcq chances with eg. Its pretty obvious now where is "the problem" with Eg. No one will magically make them better.

Best chance for Eg is to stay as they are and try to go with clear mind and give it everything they have.

Yeah i agree, but still ive seen crazy things happen i mean if nothing major changes it will probably be ALG vs Splyce for a spot at worlds unless cryptic upsets everyone but we will see. Its going to be stressful and heartbreaking to watch no matter what.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why they don't just have Team Arena as the HCS/HWC playlist where settings can be tailored specifically for the pros that anyone can jump in and play and then add an objective playlist with the standard ones I don't know.

You mean like how it was done (with great success) for every halo prior to H5?

Because Universal settings are better for transitioning people into competitive... or something like that....

I dunno I think Universal settings is a concept that has worked well for other games, so there's an attempt to shoehorn into into this franchise as well. I think Halo is truly unique in that it needs to have a distinction between competitive and standard settings in order to truly satisfy the disparate communities within the overall community. I hope they realize that going forward.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Team arena is the main ranked playlist. I doubt they want 2 main playlists since the population probably isn't enough to maintain both as well as the other playlists. The more playlists there are, the more spread out the population will be making it harder to find matches. Only reason I can think of.

The only realistic upgrade I see for Devon is maybe Ryanoob's team. Wasn't Prototype talking about calling it quits/taking a break, but didn't want to bail on his team just before Vegas?

I doubt proto leaves now.

If they did drop anyone, it would be babyj. I mean they did already drop him once.

Yeah i agree, but still ive seen crazy things happen i mean if nothing major changes it will probably be ALG vs Splyce for a spot at worlds unless cryptic upsets everyone but we will see. Its going to be stressful and heartbreaking to watch no matter what.

Yeah, talent pool in Na halo is huge, any of those teams could make it really.

And the talent in Na will continue to grow, there are two Dreamhack events coming later this year. Hopefully we go up from there.

Team arena is the main ranked playlist. I doubt they want 2 main playlists since the population probably isn't enough to maintain both as well as the other playlists. The more playlists there are, the more spread out the population will be making it harder to find matches. Only reason I can think of.

They need to have fewer playlist, but the playlists need to cover their bases.

Team Arena should clearly be presented as the main playlist (it currently isn't) and it's settings should be tailored to competitive. It should be the only playlist that provides a CSR.

The only other MMR-matched playlists should be Slayer,Team Objective, Doubles, FFA. These should use the standard settings. Should use a playlist XP progression system rather than showing CSR so that people understand that Arena is the definitive experience.

Everything else should be social.

You'd still have a setup that would encourage players to try the competive playlist without forcing the competive community to play on compromised settings.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I also don't think the developers know how to make competitive halo settings.

https://twitter.com/quinndelhoyo/status/835180420773793792

This tweet from a few weeks ago is super telling to me. Variety of playstyles? Is that what fuelrod, saw and splinters gave us why not just make the settings actually competitive instead of adding in all these awful options for more variety.

Hopefully as more of the devs shift focus to the next game we get the people left over actually making easy but valuable changes to the settings such as, removing stormrifles and smgs nd replacing them with ARs and having only pistol starts.

Simple changes like that could make the game way more competitive and now that we have social playlists just keep your variety over there please.

There are people at 343 who know exactly how to make competive settings. Quinn doesn't, yet he's in charge, and places value on superfluous qualities. Why value an arbitrarily high number of playstyles instead of skillful playstyles that arise out of the depth of the standard sandbox? (Nevermind that auto-camping isnt a 'playstyle' its a required tactic due to how the game is balanced.)

This is the same guy who thought his take on Gears would resonate with the competitive community- but it ran the franchise into the ground.

It seems like he's a nice guy, i dunno, seems like the kind of guy who would play "competetive warzone"

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There are people at 343 who know exactly how to make competive settings. Quinn doesn't, yet he's in charge, and places value on superfluous qualities. Why value an arbitrarily high number of playstyles instead of skillful playstyles that arise out of the depth of the standard sandbox?

Yeah there's definitely people who know how to make halo comeptitive. I doubt the pro team were perfectly fine with the settings that halo 5 has seen. I think things have gotten better lately because they've been more involved and quinn hasn't, I believe strongside and ghost made some of the changes leading up to worlds. This is why I said I hope these people come in and make the simple changes that they couldn't before, when the the devs (Quinn) shift most/all their focus on the next title.

They need to have fewer playlist, but the playlists need to cover their bases.

Team Arena should clearly be presented as the main playlist (it currently isn't) and it's settings should be tailored to competitive. It should be the only playlist that provides a CSR.

The only other MMR-matched playlists should be Slayer,Team Objective, Doubles, FFA. These should use the standard settings. Should use a playlist XP progression system rather than showing CSR so that people understand that Arena is the definitive experience.

Everything else should be social.

You'd still have a setup that would encourage players to try the competive playlist without forcing the competive community to play on compromised settings.

My thoughts exactly infact I posted something similar on waypoint and was completely shot down. Team arena is THE competitive playlist and should be treated as such.

Yeah there's definitely people who know how to make halo comeptitive. I doubt the rpo team were perfectly fine with the settings that halo 5 has seen. I think things have gotten better lately because they've been more involved and quinn hasn't, I believe strongside and ghost made some of the changes leading up to worlds. This is why I said I hope these people come in and make the simple changes that they couldn't before, when the the devs (Quinn) shift most/all their focus on the next title.

I think much of the problems stemmed from the way the multiplayer effecting teams were segmented.

You had sandbox team responsible for mechanics and weapon balance (sp and mp). then you've got the multiplayer team at the mercy of sandbox when it comes to playlists, map design and layout. Then you've got hcs team at the mercy of a mandate for Universal settings.

Then you have pro team who has to try to help tweak the decisions that have already been made.

Really, you need the sandbox team to be comprised of people from all walks of the spectrum. Someone ON THE TEAM needs to be championing for the ideas that work for competitive balance at a basic level.

The most recent reshufflings seem promising

My thoughts exactly infact I posted something similar on waypoint and was completely shot down. Team arena is THE competitive playlist and should be treated as such.

I understand and sympathize with waypointers who would feel threatened by this approach because on the surface it SEEMS drastically different from how things were handled before. If i never came to TB I'd probably agree with them.

See, there was a time when Team Slayer and Team Objective were the "definitive playlists " and Team Hardcore/ MLG were presented as niche.

Now, what we are proposing is a shift in PRESENTATION that highlights the importance of a games competitive balance at its most basic level, wilst still providing the core audience an opportunity still play the way they have for years.

I think there would be an initial push back, but once they realized that Team Slayer, objective, Doubles and FFA still offered the core experience they know and love, i think they would get over it and would actually like it.

after worlds the pros should just refuse to compete anymore untiul they get the changes they want

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

after worlds the pros should just refuse to compete anymore untiul they get the changes they want

That won't happen. Hcs pays their bills. And their orgs expect them to compete.

• Upvote (+1) 1