CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Snip3down and Mikwen are far too emotional.

Ola and Huke should find another 2 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 5

my love for this NV squad is too strong... so I vote no. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Honestly, I think UGC viewership was so strong because they were handing out codes like candy- which to the untrained eye seems like desperate bribery, but 100 percent logical. Not sure why they'd get away from that, especially since they have finally started securing 3rd party sponsors again (ghost in the shell).

The production and scheduling issues have gone on way too long. I eventually tuned out in Sunday evening because many of the matches I wanted to see weren't on the main stage. They eventually started going to feature stations, so one has to wonder why they couldn't do it all along.

We need a B-stream and Intermissions continue to be brutal. Here's an novel idea for the mainstream intermissions: what if we replaced the HW2 ads with live bracket updates, schedule updates, and cuts to the b-stream?

I mean the real secret is actually sitting down and creating content that the viewers care about. Obviously they're going to hit us with an ad so why not have the match end, hit people with an interview, ad, interactive bracket update maybe as the later half of the analyst desk, ad, discussion about upcoming matches, ad, montage (for the love of God use more than the same one for a weekend), ad, casters lead into the match and maybe a pre recorded interview with players in the upcoming match, start of game 1. Where what we get is ad ad ad match interview ad ad ad ad lead into game 1. I don't even think they're trying to advertise so much as just fill time with them now since they replay the same ones over and over to the point that they become something you actively try to avoid. They just don't actually have anything interesting planned to show us.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I mean the real secret is actually sitting down and creating content that the viewers care about. Obviously they're going to hit us with an ad so why not have the match end, hit people with an interview, ad, interactive bracket update maybe as the later half of the analyst desk, ad, discussion about upcoming matches, ad, montage (for the love of God use more than the same one for a weekend), ad, casters lead into the match and maybe a pre recorded interview with players in the upcoming match, start of game 1. Where what we get is ad ad ad match interview ad ad ad ad lead into game 1. I don't even think they're trying to advertise so much as just fill time with them now since they replay the same ones over and over to the point that they become something you actively try to avoid. They just don't actually have anything interesting planned to show us.

No doubt. these HW2 ads and Warzone aren't selling anyone on anything. It's just a lazy way to fill time. But it really amounts to a missed opportunity to further captivate the audience.

At some point the HCS team needs to realize that any potential viewers are tuning to consume competitive 4v4 halo (and/or codes). That reality needs to inform EVERY decision they make regarding the format of the tourney, the schedule of the tourney, the number of streams, and how they handle downtime.

It's really simple: give people what they want to see.

It just sucks that any potetential improvements hinge on 343 realizing what their audience wants. They struggle with this as a company.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I do agree that they're using ads currently as filler content. However I don't think your scenario would work - some of the ad breaks will definitely give the talent and production teams a chance to get some food, catch a few minutes break.

I do think we should be going to featured steams during some of these breaks though, even if it's just a listen in on one PoV.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Having shorter breaks in between segments is a good idea. The last 2 cs events I watched had 1 or 2 ads and a shot of the stage with crowd. The reason I feel that's fine is because the break is only 3 minutes. HCS can still play HW2 ads, just one after the other is too much. The halo events have had minimum 5 minute breaks and up to 15 minutes. Putting the caster games in the ads does work, but they need to have segments separated by a small amount of ads (3 min)

There is nothing wrong with showing passion for your job. It's what keeps them going. Being robotic shouldn't be a requirement to being great. Not to mention, Ola broke his hand from being too emotional following a loss a couple years ago.

Also, at what point did Penguin become an absolute lord of halo? He has been consistently good throughout H5, but this season he doesn't miss. Definitely the main reason for Liquid placing second back to back events.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well I had a quick scroll through Xbox's twitter account and couldn't see one goddamn tweet about this weekends event in Vegas. Strange to see them plug games like battlefield, Gwent and the Nintendo switch of all things but not mention the qualifyingdanevent to the biggest championship of their top selling and marquee franchise. Weird as fuck.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No doubt. these HW2 ads and Warzone aren't selling anyone on anything. It's just a lazy way to fill time. But it really amounts to a missed opportunity to further captivate the audience.

At some point the HCS team needs to realize that any potential viewers are tuning to consume competitive 4v4 halo (and/or codes). That reality needs to inform EVERY decision they make regarding the format of the tourney, the schedule of the tourney, the number of streams, and how they handle downtime.

It's really simple: give people what they want to see.

It just sucks that any potetential improvements hinge on 343 realizing what their audience wants. They struggle with this as a company.

It might not be people that are familiar with 4v4 though so 343 could help introduce them. MLG used to have map overviews for every map/gametype. What about covering the basics of the weapons, some map tactics, or even jump mechanics. i think it might help new viewers feel more comfortable and possibly more desire to play the game (novel idea that they should try to get people to play h5 instead of hw2).

Also please promote existing talent. Both players and community members/content makers. If other people see that it's possible to make a living from your game it will get more people to buy your game or interact in the community. Use PRO/AM player montages (warzone not allowed), or Ryanoob videos, or towey's YouTube channel, or have audley make (if it doesn't exist) map tactics videos. Heck even tweet some of the good memes.

You don't even have to "make" the content. Just promote and show the good stuff that already exists.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Have they ever thought about putting the flags in the middle of each garage for CTF Fathom? Seems like it would square off the map more and then you could put like a low ammo grenade launcher in each side base or something.

It would make the flag runs a lot more interesting at least.

Have they ever thought about putting the flags in the middle of each garage for CTF Fathom? Seems like it would square off the map more and then you could put like a low ammo grenade launcher in each side base or something.

It would make the flag runs a lot more interesting at least.

The problem is it's easy to OE when you get a silo spawn. Putting flag in garage would make it worse. That's why they moved the flag away from garage

I know most people don't like seeing one team so dominant. But for me, after spending all of H2A watching Snakebite and Royal 2 come up short to EG, I'm absolutely loving this H5 dynasty they have going. Hope they can pull it off at worlds again. Congrats to CLOG for another win.

I love watching dominant teams/athletes. I say keep winning. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I really don't think Mikwen is the problem with nV, he's just not the biggest name on the team. A lot of those losses were on Snipedown and Ola. 

I really think the smart move would be to (as crazy as this sounds) drop snipedown for more of an obj or different style player. I think Huke/Mikwen slay power can carry the team and Ola's style of play is just one you can't get rid of. Eric comes from teams where he was always the main slayer and is use to cleaning up kills always getting power weapons. 

I think if nV was Huke/Mikwen/Ola/Bubu or someone like that they would be much better. 

• Downvote (-1) 3

I love watching dominant teams/athletes. I say keep winning.

Same. Tom Brady, Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, Phil Jackson. Count me in.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Same. Tom Brady, Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, Phil Jackson. Count me in.

Somewhere a Knicks fan is twitching.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Everyone enjoy the LCQ this weekend with EG, because I just have the feeling that this could potentially be it for 3 of the 5 best halo players ever.

Watched a bit after walking dead ended

Was decent to watch I suppose. It helps that it's on Lan so spectator mode actually functions. Optic being so much better than the other teams kind of kills it though.

Not to mention the h5 fatigue is real. Watching coli flag for the 8000th time is kind of old. Why not throw a forge map or two in there? H5 forge is great.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Honestly, I think UGC viewership was so strong because they were handing out codes like candy- which to the untrained eye seems like desperate bribery, but 100 percent logical. Not sure why they'd get away from that, especially since they have finally started securing 3rd party sponsors again (ghost in the shell).

The production and scheduling issues have gone on way too long. I eventually tuned out in Sunday evening because many of the matches I wanted to see weren't on the main stage. They eventually started going to feature stations, so one has to wonder why they couldn't do it all along.

We need a B-stream and Intermissions continue to be brutal. Here's an novel idea for the mainstream intermissions: what if we replaced the HW2 ads with live bracket updates, schedule updates, and cuts to the b-stream?

Also need espn-style ticker to fill folks in while we are at the analysts desk.

Marketing continues to be [email protected] should be tweeting out clips and links to the stream all weekend long.

This was burning me up all weekend. Paramount gives money to sposor the event and maybe half an ad gets played for every 6 hw2 ads. We miss matches on feature stations while the announcers go "wow there is an awesome match going on that we're missing. Oh well cue commercial/analysis." Even info that did get passed along to @@TheSimms was wrong most of the time.

As to viewership between ugc and now, was that drop really unexpected? Would any casual viewer really want to come back after that dumpster fire? Even if they did, the spammed hw2 ads would be a turn off when so many other good events were running this weekend.

The same amazingly simple mistakes keep happening and by the time someone might start figuring out how to fix them, they leave and another under qualified replacement comes in.

Why do some teams have 6+ hr delays between matches? How did EG have to be called back in to continue a series that ended hours ago? Where were any of Sunday's matches outside of grand finals bo7? How do you not go to bo5 and show every team that has now qualified for worlds? We are still relying on periscope while announcers are getting wrong series info from event organizers. And how the hell did no one ever mention the date of the tournament these teams we qualifying for until right before the stream cut? Tickets are still available yet not once was that mentioned.

I could write a thesis on this yet it would never be read by anyone who makes decisions and my time would be much better spent elsewhere.

Edit: props to @ for giving feedback on day one about the infinity shot of the caster desk and providing a method for fixing it. He is helping fix this when he doesnt even work with halo

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This was burning me up all weekend. Paramount gives money to sposor the event and maybe half an ad gets played for every 6 hw2 ads. We miss matches on feature stations while the announcers go "wow there is an awesome match going on that we're missing. Oh well cue commercial/analysis." Even info that did get passed along to @@TheSimms was wrong most of the time.

As to viewership between ugc and now, was that drop really unexpected? Would any casual viewer really want to come back after that dumpster fire? Even if they did, the spammed hw2 ads would be a turn off when so many other good events were running this weekend.

The same amazingly simple mistakes keep happening and by the time someone might start figuring out how to fix them, they leave and another under qualified replacement comes in.

Why do some teams have 6+ hr delays between matches? How did EG have to be called back in to continue a series that ended hours ago? Where were any of Sunday's matches outside of grand finals bo7? How do you not go to bo5 and show every team that has now qualified for worlds? We are still relying on periscope while announcers are getting wrong series info from event organizers. And how the hell did no one ever mention the date of the tournament these teams we qualifying for until right before the stream cut? Tickets are still available yet not once was that mentioned.

I could write a thesis on this yet it would never be read by anyone who makes decisions and my time would be much better spent elsewhere.

Edit: props to @ for giving feedback on day one about the infinity shot of the caster desk and providing a method for fixing it. He is helping fix this when he doesnt even work with halo

Yeah I actually am surprised by the drop off in viewership.

UGC maintained higher viewership, despite being a technical dumpster fire and being a pretty low stakes tournament in comparison. Something kept people tuned in, despite how bad the product was. So yeah, if a casual was able to stomach 3 days of technical glitches a month ago, I think there's more to the story of them not tuning in this time (lack of codes).

Vegas had its share of issues, but the technical annoyances weren't there long, and we also had 6 teams qualifying for Worlds. And some of the best competition yet. It should have been easy to top UGCs viewership.

Forget Optic wining,

That was quite predictable.

The true story of this event was the following:

1/ The lackluster performance of splyce. Not much else to say here, they sucked this weekend, bubu and shotzy in particular had very under whelming performances. They are now in serious danger of missing out as ALG is a very good online team.

2/ Panda making top 4 - Hate them or love them - this team showed the halo community that they are a serious team and have made HUGE improvements in a short space of time. You can argue about their path to the worlds qualification all you want but the fact of the matter is they qualified and then beat a str8 rippen team which was considered a top 4 team prior to this weekend. Congrats to those guys.

3/ LG qualifying - this to me was the biggest upset of the entire weekend. I didn;t see this coming at all, I thought they were destined for the lcq. But they not only qualified they showed they were serious contenders for worlds. So can we now please shut up about ninja's commitment to halo. The guy was crushing it all weekend long. So clearly h1z1 isn't hurting his gameplay.

4/ EG - Boy do I feel Vindicated now. I will leave it at that - as everyone here should know my opinion on this team by now. They are not making worlds nor do they deserve to, in my opinion. 

Bonus piece:

5/ ALG - Showed that they are indeed online warriors. Only suspector preformed equally as good if not better than he usually does online.   I fully expect them to pip splyce to worlds in the lcq as they will be in their natural habitat. But lets face it that place  will come down to whose host is worse for the enemy team. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

There is nothing wrong with showing passion for your job. It's what keeps them going. Being robotic shouldn't be a requirement to being great. Not to mention, Ola broke his hand from being too emotional following a loss a couple years ago.

Also, at what point did Penguin become an absolute lord of halo? He has been consistently good throughout H5, but this season he doesn't miss. Definitely the main reason for Liquid placing second back to back events.

I've been watching Penguin for a while now, especially before Fall season ended and he was still streaming.  Honestly his shot has always been there.  I think the team change to Stellur and Eco has helped a ton.  Rayne does a great job calling out plays for the other 3 and it seems to let them work more as a team to set each other up in power weapon cases.  I'm sure Tibby could give you a better answer and I could be completely wrong, but that's what I've noticed at least

But if you watch him when he streams he makes plays like that all the time

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1