Sign in to follow this  
logan

Reddit Thread From 343i Asking For Top MM Complaint.

Most of the responses there are good.  Most....

Veto

Party restrictions/solo queue option

Better servers

better social

dev built btb maps with Magnum starts

REAL classic playlist with no abilities

Reworking/reprioritizing of the entire collection of playlists.

There are some turd ideas that i wont even draw attention to, but many more good ones total.  I think @@ske7ch is fully capable of wading through the garbage lol

300+ responses with all of the top posts having to do with solo queue or party restrictions, and we still won't get any.

Not many people remember this but next to armor lock back in reach the next biggest complaint was lack of party restrictions in some form. And that was coming from the casuals too.

5 years and 3 games and still many complaints about it later, nothing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not many people remember this but next to armor lock back in reach the next biggest complaint was lack of party restrictions in some form. And that was coming from the casuals too.

5 years and 3 games and still many complaints about it later, nothing.

CoD4 had mercenary TDM back in 2007 and we can't getting a solo queue in what's supposed to be Xbox's biggest esport lmao
  • Upvote (+1) 3

300+ responses with all of the top posts having to do with solo queue or party restrictions, and we still won't get any.

That's because 343 knows what the online population is.

C'mon guys, I expect people on this forum to be smarter than the average Halo player.

The reason match making can't match you with other solo queue players is because the online population sucks. There's a reason there's no online population count in the UI. Pro tip: It's because 343 is embarrassed about how poor it is.

If they flicked a switch to make it so teams of 4 could only get matched against teams of 4 there would be a trillion threads all over the internet the next day complaining that it takes 15 minutes average to find a game. (Players from my region haven't been able to find games outside of peak hours for like 6 months now)

Show me a game that has this feature.

Oh, CS:GO? Yeah, has like 10X's as many active players?

LoL? Yeah, has 100X's as many active players.

Now show me a game with the same population as Halo. I'll wait.

• Upvote (+1) 3

C'mon guys, I expect people on this forum to be smarter than the average Halo player.

The reason match making can't match you with other solo queue players is because the online population sucks. There's a reason there's no online population count in the UI. Pro tip: It's because 343 is embarrassed about how poor it is.

If they flicked a switch to make it so teams of 4 could only get matched against teams of 4 there would be a trillion threads all over the internet the next day complaining that it takes 15 minutes average to find a game. (Players from my region haven't been able to find games outside of peak hours for like 6 months now)

You're not wrong but they could at least do a catch-all "mercenary" style playlist. Could have all standard gametypes in it

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're not wrong but they could at least do a catch-all "mercenary" style playlist. Could have all standard gametypes in it

Holy shit, is that the old school programmable "FPS controller" in your avatar?

I can't believe I bought one of those. It was fucking horrible, lol. Luckily I managed to sell it to someone else so I only lost $5 or something.

Back on topic...

Yes, that's more realistic! I wish all Halo fans had half your intelligence.

If they wanted to do a "SoloQ" playlist that had a whole bunch of maps and gametypes in it that's more feasible. The problem is, people aren't asking for that. They're asking for "Team Arena" or "Warzone" or "BTB" to only match you with the same size parties. Yeah, you know... The same BTB playlist that has like 100 active players in North America during peak hours...

The funniest thing is, they fucking KNOW the population sucks because in the previous fucking sentence they note that they keep getting matched against the same team of 4 or the same Warzone squad over and over. It's not hard to understand people. Do you know why you're getting matched with the same people over and over again? Because they're the only people around for the game to match you with!

Halo 3 MLG playlist had party matching and you could still find games the last time I played in 2014, and the population couldn't have been more than a few hundred people
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Halo 3 MLG playlist had party matching and you could still find games the last time I played in 2014, and the population couldn't have been more than a few hundred people

I'm not even sure that's 100% accurate. I'm pretty sure you could also be matched against different sized parties, it was just more likely to add more weight to parties. Halo 5 also attempts to do this, obviously with less weighting on party sizes.

Halo 3 also matched you with people on the other side of the world playing on 200+ms latency unless you set your match making settings to "good connection only" (Let me guess... Half the people on this forum aren't even aware this setting existed) which resulted in not finding games for many people around the world.

Hmmmm, let me think... Play against 4 people my skill level that are in a party together... Or play against 4 people my skill level that aren't in a party but have a 200ms ping advantage... Wow, that's a hard decision... I wonder...

See, 343 can't ONLY cater to NA players, as much as you guys think you're the only continent on the planet, there are in fact, other continents which also buy Xbox's and also buy Halo.

EDIT:

Here's more examples for you:

Over time, it’s possible for players to get skill values that make it difficult for them to find matches. This was an issue that lead some players to create alternate accounts or party up with people of much lower rank to find matches. We’ve implemented changes in our algorithm to get players at all skill levels even faster matches. This should improve matchmaking times and increase the number of people eligible to match for players at all skill levels as well as players in international regions.

That was shortly after Halo 5 launched FFS.

You guys are delusional if you think putting more weight on party sizes in match making would improve match making. The whole point of match making is to get players into a game as fast as possible - within reason of course.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Holy shit, is that the old school programmable "FPS controller" in your avatar?

I can't believe I bought one of those. It was fucking horrible, lol. Luckily I managed to sell it to someone else so I only lost $5 or something.

Back on topic...

Yes, that's more realistic! I wish all Halo fans had half your intelligence.

If they wanted to do a "SoloQ" playlist that had a whole bunch of maps and gametypes in it that's more feasible. The problem is, people aren't asking for that. They're asking for "Team Arena" or "Warzone" or "BTB" to only match you with the same size parties. Yeah, you know... The same BTB playlist that has like 100 active players in North America during peak hours...

The funniest thing is, they fucking KNOW the population sucks because in the previous fucking sentence they note that they keep getting matched against the same team of 4 or the same Warzone squad over and over. It's not hard to understand people. Do you know why you're getting matched with the same people over and over again? Because they're the only people around for the game to match you with!

LOL yeah, I never actually had that controller but shortly after i joined TB I had a discussion with someone else here about this dual-pistol grip controller we used to see advertised that looked like 2 floppy wangs attached to a couple joysticks.  Thank you google images!!

But yeah, I think a solo-only playlist like the old Team Arena list before they switched it to HCS maps would be good.  Give solo-ers a place to grind some games if none of their buddies are on.  It would have all standard gametypes in it with vanilla settings.  I would make it a social list too.  One problem with social lists is that the current SR progression system is not good.... I must have mentioned this a million times during Halo 4 and the H5 beta but a little circle that goes around repeatedly with a number that goes up is not good.  Its not motivating.  Halo 3 had the best system for this with the military ranks that you got one point for whenever you won a game (and double xp weekends!!!).  I remember playing H3 and thinking "only 3 more wins to get [insert random rank here]".  It was like a mile marker that you were waiting for and felt good to achieve.  You knew exactly what you needed to do to achieve it, and for some reason a visual representation of rank is more meaningful than just a number.  

I wish that the population was good enough to implement hard, full party restrictions on all playlists but we need to be pragmatic here and advocate for the logical best choice given the current state of things, not what would be perfect in an ideal world.

Interesting to interpret it as "top MM complaint" when the context outside of here was really "request." I was personally surprised to see "solo queue" related topics as the predominant answer on Reddit. On Waypoint it looked a little different.

For perspective it's absolutely not my role or responsibility to be able to enact changes to matchmaking. Instead it's part of my job to make sure that the needs of the community - both at large and honestly even niches within - are being heard and socialized internally towards some kind of outcome. Ideally that outcome is what the audience wants though maybe it's not. In that case it's my job to try and flesh that out and foster a dialog so there's an understanding behind decisions and that fans don't feel simply ignored. We'll never please everyone all the time and as I've said elsewhere, the massive amounts of subtle variations and customizations Halo allows is a huge strength for the game just as it's a big challenge because it's harder and harder to define what the 'majority' of people really enjoy.

I half expected 'classic settings' playlist to be #1 on the list of requests because I know it's something at least a very vocal group wants. Should we have it? As a relatively new person here my gut is that yeah, we should. I don't yet know why we don't but I truly hope we will add it and as long as core fans keep demanding it I will keep championing that discussion internally. It's easy for me to say that, weeks into this role, but I understand many have been asking for this for a year now to no avail.

I see a lot of great, valid feedback here which is sweet. Of course I also see a ton of the same vitriol and negativity that this community has, for better or worse, become known for. I only want Halo to be as awesome and successful as possible which I think is what most here want as well or why bother expending the time and energy to continue fighting these battles. It's important for us (343) to not lose sight of the overall player base that Team Beyond represents even when it's a continued assault of negativity (though I think the personal attacks are out of line).

Anyways, apologies for the semi on-topic / semi-off topic wall of text. I've been lurking around Team Beyond, and I feel like I have a really good grasp of what players here stand for and want, but I don't always seen avenues to personally engage.

Appreciate your time responding here Sketch.  I too want the best for Halo and only see your outreach, to various forums on Halo, as a positive. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

..it's part of my job to make sure that the needs of the community - both at large and honestly even niches within - are being heard and socialized internally towards some kind of outcome. ...

Have you not heard us complaining about sprint for the last few years? We are attempting to make dank memes so you can hear us. Please hear our woes of sprint agony. Let them be carried into the innards of the 343 dev heart and resonate with fire and passion.

• Upvote (+1) 7

We are attempting to make dank memes so you can hear us. Please hear our woes of sprint agony. Let them be carried into the innards of the 343 dev heart and resonate with fire and passion.

That made me have a vision of ske7ch being Luke firing the sprint complaint torpedoes into the thermal exhaust ports of 343's Deathstar. :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Snip

Team Beyond can be a negative place. We get that.

Halo has made drastic changes since the original trilogy with every iteration and 343 is not solely to blame. Many of the players here grew up playing CE and H2. I'm sure you can understand the frustration of older competitive players with the direction of the franchise. It can also be said that 343 has failed to deliver a halo title with the content level of H3 or Reach at launch, even though they've had multiple chances. We are disgruntled.

Our frustration can lead to what some may describe as vitriol and make what appears to be an uncomfortable environment for developers. Please continue to post and respond here. There are of course bad apples here as there are everywhere, but many here find their opinions, not just their attitudes unwelcome in other circles of the halo community. This compounds frustration--especially when devs fail to communicate here.

Perhaps we are seen as a niche to 343, but I believe it would be a mistake to discount us. Many of the posters here have a much deeper understanding of halo--even the titles they find less than satisfactory, and we want to make halo better. We can be a resource.

Even if we are a niche, look at other niches like forgers. Forge has expanded greatly in this title and a rising tide carries all ships. The game is better off for supporting a niche. It can be the same for competitive halo.

Here's my two cents:

Team Arena was an attempt to meet two groups half way. Both competitive and casual 4v4 halo players.

I think the game would be better off for everyone if both groups were more pleased with the experience. Give us (team beyond) an HCS playlist and highly consider removing radar. Then make Team Arena unranked and make those asking for social grab bag and objective happy with more gamemode variety and some community maps. This in turn also pleases core forgers who have barely got to include anything in regular 4v4 h5 multiplayer. Raise the tide.

Thank you. Hope to see you here more often. Ignore the hate. Respect the feedback.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I think most posters have covered a lot of how the community feels. The community can be negative here for sure, but you have to also understand this community has been highly ignored by 343i since MCC launched / Halo 5 Beta. Tons of posters (and myself) have given tons of great feedback throughout the years (from H5 to HCS) and nothing ever really came from it. I'm not going to pretend our feedback is the gospel, but when issues are still popping up 3 games later it makes you wonder what's the point. With that, while we had awesome relationships with people like Bsangel (first 343i CM) and Josh Holmes, not everyone felt the same way and still don't.

Hope this is the beginning of something new, I won't lie the love I used to have for this series has been fading and I hope you can steer the franchise back on course in the coming years.

Thanks for posting @@ske7ch

• Upvote (+1) 5

mate before mcc dropped from 2010-2014, halo 3 was in a totally workable state with it's party restriction and that had social playlists. Now I may be wrong, but I feel like halo 5 has a bigger population. Now sure, team swat was dead but i felt like it was just because of swat. Teams of 3/4s got paired against teams of 3/4s, and there were plenty and plenty of solo/duo parties. I bet even now team slayer on h3 works fine.

now i know the pop numbers are low af, but i mean if you have 100 people in each rank, that's way more than enough.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Now the population is trash, but release day should have been there.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 3 did it with pittens for a population.

I agree that there are plenty of negative posts. I can understand why people feel negative here though and we have had plenty of great posts/threads for feedback. Unfortunately you have stepped into your role at a low point in terms of this communities outlook.

It's been very hard to an answer regarding various feedback, and we often see it in other places. In my opinion, Bravo should have been responsible for doing any sort of Community Management but he stopped coming here all together, not just to post but even to lurk. Maybe he wasn't signed in but regardless there's just complete silence on numerous concerns for long periods of time. Even if these issues seem like small fires, they will spread over time into bigger fires.

Also, coincidentally, there have been bad server problems and ghost melees that have effected everyone, but these issues do stand out more to the competitive players which this site kind of caters towards. As I'm sure some people from 343 know, this has gone beyond the forums here and it seems as if many pro players share this sentiment which is shocking. So yes, there has been lots of negativity, I also believe there were plenty of good posts too recently.

I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping that you continue to post here often. It can only make things better compared to silence.

• Upvote (+1) 4