Sign in to follow this  
Bring Halo Back

Really 343...? I had to make a video about this

Great video, man. I agree with a lot of your points. I've watched some of your other videos and am currently watching your rant video. You gained a sub today.

Listening to this and as I watch the gameplay...bout to tear up man even Reach is just so much more fast, clean and enjoyable to watch compared to Halo 5. (imo) 

Unfortunately, the maps are crap. It's why I stopped playing Reach.

Unfortunately, the maps are crap. It's why I stopped playing Reach.

I had fun playing on a lot of the maps with friends, and I didn't mind Zealot/Countdown tho it got old playing mostly just those 2 maps. The amount of Forge in that game hurt it bad tho, it's gotta be used sparingly if at all. 

343 is a business. They need to make money. Money is made by catering to the lowest common denominator.

Making a game without sprint, gimmicks and classic Halo gameplay doesn't do that. We are just another fraction of people they are trying to appeal to.

You won't see anything like the Anniversary's Throwback (which was freaking awesome BTW) as a main stay in the MM playlists... 

It's awesome that 343 is pushing the E-Sports aspect, which Bungie never did, but unfortunately I feel the game just isn't enjoyable enough on a core level like the classic trilogy.  I'm also quite sure people don't like 343's art direction, music (all hail Marty), narrative direction and some technical aspects of the game (shipping without forge, not having certain theater functions). Sad that Halo isn't even close to being in the top 10 on XBL. In my heart I know it would be if Halo 4 and 5 would be closer to one of the three Classic Trilogy styles of gameplay and game features. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 10

I don't think they should be expected to make an Anniversary edition of every game.  I don't think there even should be one.  First because as you said they'd probably fuck it up (I'm already displeased with aspects of H2A as is).  Second because you can't just remake old games all the time.  After awhile it just comes across as cringeworthy on the developer's part, like they're incapable of creating their own content and just relying on rehashing old content for sales.  Like where does it stop?  Why not a Reach Anniversary, or a Halo 4 Anniversary, or so on?  So for that I can't fault them too much.

I do agree entirely that it's just completely baffling how they turned Reach from an awful to decent game, then went straight to Halo 4 right after that.  One thing you didn't mention was also how long it took them just to support the game post-launch.  Same with Halo 5.  Classic Playlist should've been there a few months after launch at most, not at the very end of the games' lifespan.

"Halo 5 was another Halo 4."  Eh....Yes....No....Kind of...Halo 5 is again baffling to me.  They cut back in certain areas to appease the fans, but then they completely doubled down in other areas which makes the initial thing I just said pretty meaningless.

"They didn't bother giving us classic settings or fixing Halo 5, they're pushing their vision onto us."  Yes, definitely agreed.  I don't get their aversion to making a classic playlist.  Most games have classic settings available.  If people play it, no harm done.  If people don't play it, you still haven't lost anything.

"1..2..3...which means classic to you?"  If it was coming out of anyone else's mouth I could probably agree with it.  Halo 2 and Halo 3 are very similar, but both are quite different from Ce.  Quinn knows what people mean with that statement though.  People aren't asking for a Ce Playlist or a H2 Playlist.  They're asking for one that has the common elements from all those games.  They'd settle for anything that simply isn't Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 6

There is absolutely zero evidence to suggest that Halo needed all that bullshit. None.

But when Halo added all the bullshit player rentention dropped like a fucking boulder down a cliffside...

This is exactly the thing.

After Halo 1, nobody asked for dual wielding, sword lunging, or destructible vehicles.

After Halo 2, nobody asked for equipment or slower movement.

After Halo 3, nobody asked for armour abilities.

After Reach, nobody asked for Halo to be turned into COD.

After Halo 4, nobody asked for a flashier Halo 4 with more gimmicks.

All fans of a game ever want from a sequel is the same thing but with more levels, better graphics, and tweaks around the edges. Look no further than Perfect Dark. It's the same game as GoldenEye, but with more of everything.

• Upvote (+1) 9

This is exactly the thing.

After Halo 1, nobody asked for dual wielding, sword lunging, or destructible vehicles.

After Halo 2, nobody asked for equipment or slower movement.

After Halo 3, nobody asked for armour abilities.

After Reach, nobody asked for Halo to be turned into COD.

After Halo 4, nobody asked for a flashier Halo 4 with more gimmicks.

All fans of a game ever want from a sequel is the same thing but with more levels, better graphics, and tweaks around the edges. Look no further than Perfect Dark. It's the same game as GoldenEye, but with more of everything.

Exactly. Developers act like gamers don't know what they want. That might be true the more casual the player is. Sometimes we're all surprised with the new hit. Goldeneye for example. It was awesome and we didn't expect that or really know to ask for it on N64. The problem though? If I want a new experience I will buy a new game. I didn't buy Halo 2 thinking "Wow this is so different from Halo:CE I'm going to buy it!" I bought Halo 2 because I liked Halo: CE and wanted more. That's why just about every fan of the series buys the newest version. They think back to the Halo they really enjoyed and think "I want more of that." So why has retention been dropping? Sales just a little bit slower these days? Its probably because bungie and now 343 run a fucking train on your expectations and desires in the hope that you'll just somehow be blown away by all of the shit you never wanted or asked for. Predictably they fail more often than not. What are the chances most people like your new game when buying it with expectations set by the older game? Pretty fucking low if I had to take a guess.

• Upvote (+1) 8

This video summed up all my frustrations with Halo, 343 and even Quinn over the past few years. Honestly most of the additional crap that has been added to the Halo series since Halo CE has been due to "Higher Ups" listening to focus groups wanting to change Halo into something its not. Microsoft's Playtest and Focus Groups have taken away a lot of the creative vision from the developers. Because often a what may end up being a great game in early development, gets watered down by people who don't know how to play games (or just want Halo to be another CoD clone).

So I guess if we all want to shape the future of Halo, we all need to sign up for https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/playtest/default.aspx (And move to Seattle)

Still hoping one day there will be an updated halo 1 that doesn't SUCK FUCKING DICK.

The new community manager at 343 already called the CE pistol something akin to the "most overpowered gun in fps history" so good luck with that.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The new community manager at 343 already called the CE pistol something akin to the "most overpowered gun in fps history" so good luck with that.

That's funny considering it's not even the most overpowered gun in the halo series.

It blows my mind really.

The same people who call the Magnum OP and who complain about fast killtimes are typically the same ones who play shooters like CoD when they aren't playing Halo.

How can the Ce Mag be the most overpowered gun in FPS history when it has so many inferior qualities compared to any of the rifles from a game like CoD?

-Those guns fire way faster.

-Those guns are hitscan and perfectly accurate, having far more effective range.

-Those guns kill in 3-4 shots to the body.

-Typically easier to use as well.

Maybe it's overpowered relative to other weapons in the sandbox (I'd chalk that up to the other weapons being too weak).

But in terms of every FPS ever made?  Such a ridiculous statement to make.

• Upvote (+1) 2