Sign in to follow this  
Bring Halo Back

Really 343...? I had to make a video about this

The new community manager at 343 already called the CE pistol something akin to the "most overpowered gun in fps history" so good luck with that.

Yet the CE pistol was intentional as John Howard and the CE MP team noted. Too much of Halo CE's focus may be on pistol duels, but barring a few competitive shooters the Sandbox at high skill levels has always shrinked and favored optimization over mechanical variety just as an RPG does with the amount of "viable builds" becoming smaller and smaller as the difficulty level does up in a game unless you want to play gimped. Obviously there is some decent balance in the Sandbox that translates to all skill levels, even if the overall depth leaves much to be desired.

I'm going to be honest, the video was pretty unimpressive. I felt it was more of a vent than an articulate deconstruction of how 343 has handled the franchise. But if that's what you intended the video to be, a venting of frustration, then I feel you on that front. I find that your comparison of halo 4 and 5 to be pretty intellectually dishonest. Yes they share some mechanics such as sprint but it's hardly the same game. It's not even the same vision. A fundamental aspect of H4 was load outs, that has been taken out in H5. H4 had no de-scope where as Halo 5 doesn't and it has a new aiming feature called "smart-scope." Ordinance drops have also been removed, yet another big change. The mechanic of sprint has been altered an tied to your shields. You're just wrong on that point, I could go more into that but I want this to be as short as I can make it.

I also find your dislike of warzone to be completely irrelevant to the core argument you're putting forth. It has nothing to do with Arena, it's a different game mode. Akin to playlists like grifball, infection, ect. If it's not your cup of tea, fine, but c'mon man you're bitching to bitch. This is probably me just being nit picky but I feel like it's an inconsistency and it bugs me.

Now for the juicy bit. Quinn's tweet. Holy shit if I have ever seen a disingenuous response to a question this has to be it. How is "classic" a loaded term in this context? I mean Jesus fucking Christ if I ask someone if they like classic Star Wars are they going to say, "well what do you mean by classic?" They should know they are talking about the original trilogy. I mean how much nuance is there to unpack? What the fuck. Halo had nearly the same formula for a decade, this to me causes worry. You need to be able to have an honest discussion without having to do intellectual jui jitsu to keep them on point. Fuck me.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Still hoping one day there will be an updated halo 1 that doesn't SUCK FUCKING DICK.

I hopped on MCC after months of not playing. First game against some randoms named platyapuss and k1lroy.  Level 30's.  Went 27-4.  Broke game is broke.  Shoulda gone 40-4.

There's halo CE on xbox.

There's halo 2 on xbox which is good for 4v4 but really halo 2 should have been halo 1 with better 4v4 maps.

Then there's everything else which is trash not worth playing.

343 is a business. They need to make money. Money is made by catering to the lowest common denominator.

Making a game without sprint, gimmicks and classic Halo gameplay doesn't do that. We are just another fraction of people they are trying to appeal to.

Ya, because what they're doing now is working so well.

*looks at BF1 destroying COD IW*

It's almost like people prefer gameplay and controls that doesn't require 8.4 million button presses per second.

Making a game with 100 different abilities and gameplay mechanics is not catering to the lowest common denominator.

Lets be honest it is all 343 doing. Remember when they said majority of pros and players want sprint in the game by showing us some fake percentage. I agree that Quinn wants the game to be played how he wants to. Look at Gow they r doing so much better in the multiplayer and the competitive department ever since he left. Why can't 343 follow GOW and what they are doing. Gow is working with mlg while on the other hand 343 gave the game ESL who never had any experience with halo while mlg is right there. Adam has said so many he is happy to work with 343 and cares but 343 doesn't listen. (Sorry for grammar mistakes English is my 2nd language. I have always lurked through the forms and today I finally decide to create a account and speak up)

Welcome, and have some rep for a good first post  :simms:

I'm going to be honest, the video was pretty unimpressive. I felt it was more of a vent than an articulate deconstruction of how 343 has handled the franchise. But if that's what you intended the video to be, a venting of frustration, then I feel you on that front. I find that your comparison of halo 4 and 5 to be pretty intellectually dishonest. Yes they share some mechanics such as sprint but it's hardly the same game. It's not even the same vision. A fundamental aspect of H4 was load outs, that has been taken out in H5. H4 had no de-scope where as Halo 5 doesn't and it has a new aiming feature called "smart-scope." Ordinance drops have also been removed, yet another big change. The mechanic of sprint has been altered an tied to your shields. You're just wrong on that point, I could go more into that but I want this to be as short as I can make it.

I also find your dislike of warzone to be completely irrelevant to the core argument you're putting forth. It has nothing to do with Arena, it's a different game mode. Akin to playlists like grifball, infection, ect. If it's not your cup of tea, fine, but c'mon man you're bitching to bitch. This is probably me just being nit picky but I feel like it's an inconsistency and it bugs me.

Now for the juicy bit. Quinn's tweet. Holy shit if I have ever seen a disingenuous response to a question this has to be it. How is "classic" a loaded term in this context? I mean Jesus fucking Christ if I ask someone if they like classic Star Wars are they going to say, "well what do you mean by classic?" They should know they are talking about the original trilogy. I mean how much nuance is there to unpack? What the fuck. Halo had nearly the same formula for a decade, this to me causes worry. You need to be able to have an honest discussion without having to do intellectual jui jitsu to keep them on point. Fuck me.

I like this guy.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I was going to write something longer, but I don't feel like it. Most of the bad ideas from H4 are still in H5 in some form or another, if modified (ordinances and loadouts are alive and well in the REQ system). They learned very little and fucked up a bunch of new shit in their ham-fisted attempt to compromise slightly with the competitive side of Halo. They nerfed sprint because they know it fucks up the formula, but insist on cramming it in there anyway because immersion (and Warzone). I would hardly call that a significant improvement.

And, frankly, the impacts of their core mode and main cash cow, Warzone, on the Arena sideshow are stunningly obvious, the foremost of which being the obvious fact that the sandbox was balanced for Warzone and not Arena. Case in point: the ONLY major weapon balance patch they have released to date was primarily for Warzone and included negative changes for Arena (making Hydra and Caster spam more effective).

• Upvote (+1) 4

I also find your dislike of warzone to be completely irrelevant to the core argument you're putting forth. It has nothing to do with Arena, it's a different game mode.

343 has all been ignoring almost every large request to change arena all while Warzone is nearly getting all the attention from 343. For the first time, the focus of Halo multiplayer and the large bulk of the playerbase are playing a non 4v4 mode. This is all by design from 343. Warzone does relate to Arena because the effort that should be going toward arena is being diverted into Warzone. The players that played Halo 5 for 4v4 modes have been leaving and not coming back since a month after launch with none of the most requested changes taking place. Almost everyone I know that plays Halo 5 spends the majority of their time in Warzone with their monthly REQ packs while Arena is only getting remixes of maps that no one asked for.

• Upvote (+1) 6

???

Revan was pointing out how Quinn's quote made no sense.  You're literally arguing against the exact opposite of what he was saying right now.  He actually agrees with you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

???

Revan was pointing out how Quinn's quote made no sense.  You're literally arguing against the exact opposite of what he was saying right now.  He actually agrees with you.

After reading his first two paragraphs, I figured he meant the OP when he said "they" and so on and not 343. Apologies.

The shittiest Halo game ever.....  ha nothing else really needs to be said.  Great video btw please upload more content.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There is absolutely zero evidence to suggest that Halo needed all that bullshit. None.

But when Halo added all the bullshit player rentention dropped like a fucking boulder down a cliffside...

You forgot the part where gamers flocked to Call of Duty...

Don't get me wrong, the sequels got worse and worse ever since the original Halo, but what other games were people going to play on the original Xbox?

Mech Assault? lol

What other games did the 360 have before CoD?

Rainbow Six?

People don't seem to understand that people will simply go where the numbers are. Your average gamer doesn't care about TTK's and map design and competitive settings. They just want to play the game their friends are playing. Not only does CoD do this well being so popular (which is now dropping thanks to saturating the market yearly), but it also makes you FEEL like you're the best player in the world by flashing shit all over the screen every time you shoot someone in the leg with an M16 which the human brain has a very positive response to.

Implying that Halo lost players due to the changes in the game honestly isn't accurate. If that was the case then why was Halo 2 more popular than Halo 1?

Halo has become less popular because the gaming industry has changed DRAMATICALLY over 15 years.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Implying that Halo lost players due to the changes in the game honestly isn't accurate. If that was the case then why was Halo 2 more popular than Halo 1?

Halo has become less popular because the gaming industry has changed DRAMATICALLY over 15 years.

Halo 2 didn't have game breaking gimmicks. Halo 2 was balanced, competitive, and addictive. I've played tons of H2, H3, and way too much Reach. I still enjoy playing Halo, however I am forever stuck on Halo Reach BTB to get my Halo fix in because none of 343's Halo's haven't been enjoyable to me. My reasoning for not playing Halo 4, MCC, or Halo 5 have nothing to do with any changes with the gaming industry and everything to do with 343's lack of competency to make a decent Halo game. I just wonder how many others would love to play Halo again or even for the first time, if we could just get a half-way decent Halo title.

You forgot the part where gamers flocked to Call of Duty...

It took 2 years for CoD to finally cement the #1 spot on XBL after Halo 3 released. Cod 4 and WaW were both beaten by H3 easily. it took MW2 and newly released game to beat the 2 year old Halo 3. Halo Reach launch was bigger then Halo 3, so people were obviously ready for more Halo but it was shit(cough sprint, cough bloom, cough jetpack, cough awful maps) and there were better games out there to play so people played them. Halo becoming shit and trying to add casual shit to the game is what brought Halo down.

• Upvote (+1) 2

At this point I honestly dont see H5 changing. As long as they continue to put out content, it will be warzone focused. I personally have come to terms with that and have accepted that 343 is going to do whatever they want. I just really really REALLY want spartan charge removed. I fucking hate that shit more than anything i have ever hated. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is why I started playing Overwatch, and come back to here to see how the competitive side of Halo is doing. 

It's just so depressing to see all the complaints...and it's all freaking warranted. 

I played a few games of the throwback CE and it was great (aside from all the sprinting/spartan abilites BS), makes me miss the classic mechanics. 

It blows my mind really.

The same people who call the Magnum OP and who complain about fast killtimes are typically the same ones who play shooters like CoD when they aren't playing Halo.

How can the Ce Mag be the most overpowered gun in FPS history when it has so many inferior qualities compared to any of the rifles from a game like CoD?

-Those guns fire way faster.

-Those guns are hitscan and perfectly accurate, having far more effective range.

-Those guns kill in 3-4 shots to the body.

-Typically easier to use as well.

Maybe it's overpowered relative to other weapons in the sandbox (I'd chalk that up to the other weapons being too weak).

But in terms of every FPS ever made?  Such a ridiculous statement to make.

CE pistol took a lot of skill to use, I can't stand the fact ske7ch said it was the most over powered gun.

If I was an employee at 343, I would ask him to 1v1 me on CE (on the OG xbox, not the crappy gametype on h5)and tally every single consistent 3-shot kill he gets on me. 

And if we play to 25 kills, chances are that he would probably get 0 consistent 3-shot kills.

Why?

CE's movement is very effective, you can out-strafe very effectively.

CE's sandbox had plenty more to it than just the CE pistol, it had nade tricks, spawn trapping, double melee, quick camo, back pack reload, jumps, rocket OS jumps etc.

I bet 343 knows only 1% of what I have just listed.

343 just thinks halo ce was a mess and the CE pistol is just over powered. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

CE pistol took a lot of skill to use, I can't stand the fact ske7ch said it was the most over powered gun.

If I was an employee at 343, I would ask him to 1v1 me on CE (on the OG xbox, not the crappy gametype on h5)and tally every single consistent 3-shot kill he gets on me.

And if we play to 25 kills, chances are that he would probably get 0 consistent 3-shot kills.

Why?

CE's movement is very effective, you can out-strafe very effectively.

CE's sandbox had plenty more to it than just the CE pistol, it had nade tricks, spawn trapping, double melee, quick camo, back pack reload, jumps, rocket OS jumps etc.

I bet 343 knows only 1% of what I have just listed.

343 just thinks halo ce was a mess and the CE pistol is just over powered.

The kids in power are noobs. That's all there is to it, we'll never get the game we want with these mindsets at the helm.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The kids in power are noobs. That's all there is to it, we'll never get the game we want with these mindsets at the helm.

And even if we do, 343 are still gonna find a way to fuck it up.

If they don't, they will release an update that fucks it up.

• Upvote (+1) 2