Simplicityyy

15 years of Halo and Xbox, share your memories!

I posted this on Waypoint as well.

Halo and Xbox are 15 YEARS old! ZOMG! 

lol

Okay, childish thoughts out of the way, I want to express my gratitude to Bungie and 343i for developing Halo. Bungie started this beautiful universe, 343 has continued it, but they have both brought stuff to the table. I've talked about this before, so I won't spend a lot of time on it: I believe I began playing Halo with the PC release Gearbox Entertainment ported from Xbox in 2003. I still own that copy and I believe it still works. However I haven't tried playing it in years. It was either 2003 or possibly the next year. Point being that I've played Halo for a while. I LOVE, LOVE, LOOOVE it. Its my childhood. I played Halo CE and Halo 2 during my middle school years at church, Halo 3 and Reach during my high school years, and the newer games all through college. I think its crazy, but amazing Halo has been around this long. Of course, you cannot compare it to series like Tomb Raider, one that turned 20 in October, but both have been around long enough to have influenced many, many games. Halo changed shooters, more on console, forever. So lets give thanks to our lords and saviors at Bungie for birthing this experience, and 343 for continuing it, whether or not you like them.

If it weren't for Halo, Xbox wouldn't be where it is. And I've played Xbox for around the same time I've played Halo.

So I ask: how long have you guys played Halo and Xbox?

Fun fact: my brother was born eight months before Halo CE launched.

HAPPY FIFTEENTH BIRTHDAY HALO AND XBOX!  :intensifies:

PS: Does anyone know if 343 is archiving the stream tomorrow? I'm working during it. Once I am home I will want to watch it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why is the text black? I never understand why when I copy and paste off other forums I write this stuff on.

Click the button in the upper left hand corner of the edit form to switch to code. Look for the color tags and remove them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why is the text black? I never understand why when I copy and paste off other forums I write this stuff on.

When you copy and paste from another forum, it will copy over the default font and color from that forum.  Either remove the formatting manually, like FarSight said, or use:  Ctrl+Shift-->Paste

That will remove formatting automatically.

It does seem crazy that its been 15 years. I've played since the day CE launched and I've been playing on and off for well over half my life now. 

Been playing since CE came out, but it was mainly at work for several months with coworkers until that got shut down when the higher ups caught the day shift people playing it and then it was at home from then on out.

Yeah, they'll probably have the stream rebroadcast available.

I first played Halo and the Xbox in 2002. Incredible experience. The visuals, the scale, the AI, the clear sounds, the attention to detail, the physics, the atmosphere, all still impressive. A massive leap in technology. The Xbox was basically a PC, and it clearly showed. Dual layer DVDs and hard drive caching allowed for huge open worlds. I loved the super simple system menus and easy to set up online as well. I even loved the "Duke" controller. It rested in my hands rather than having to grip it tightly, and the buttons were raised, bright, and angled for super easy usage.

The only drawbacks of the Xbox had were generally crappy DVD drives (I eventually swapped mine out for the good Samsung drive) and having to buy an adapter for DVD movie playback - blatant cash grab. All of that was thrown right out the window with the 360's optional hard drive and infamous build quality. The controllers didn't seem as durable either.

It wasn't all Halo and hardware, though. Great game lineup. Project Gotham Racing 1 & 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions, MechAssault, Rainbow Six 3, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow & Chaos Theory, Unreal Championship, RalliSport Challenge 1 & 2, and superior ports of Tony Hawk and Burnout thanks to sharper visuals and custom soundtracks. The enhanced Conker port had pretty good multiplayer as well, even if the original was better.

Unfortunately, as the 360 era wore on, games became less focused on fun and innovation and more on being mature and cinematic. It's even worse now with the Xbone, with games being super flashy but lacking content and quality control.

Microsoft got it right in 2001, and not once since, in either hardware or software. And thanks to MCC, I will never buy another Microsoft console unless I need to in order to play Elder Scrolls (I prefer it on console - deal with it, PC worshippers), buy another Halo game unless it's a perfect online port of Halo 1, or pre-order a Microsoft first-party title.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Unfortunately, as the 360 era wore on, games became less focused on fun and innovation and more on being mature and cinematic. It's even worse now with the Xbone, with games being super flashy but lacking content and quality control.

I don't get Microsoft. They did everything perfectly with the Xbox original (loved all those games btw. Jet set radiooooooo!!). Then halfway through the 360s life cycle they shit the bed and stop investing in first party exclusives and literally handed Sony the victory in the "console war". Sony even used that as their marketing campaign for PS4 "for the players" is a jab at Microsoft's sudden full on casual approach to their console.

I don't know if the heads have changed but I'm presuming they must have, they've really lost their way-hence 343. I remember on the back of the halo 3 box there was a review saying something along the lines of "the greatest game of the decade". I feel like that applies to the original trilogy. There was nothing else like it and there probably won't ever again. Been playing since the original. Multiplayer since 2, unbelievable online. The only thing I wish is that I played the games more when I had the chance. It's actually crazy how much I loved these games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't get Microsoft. They did everything perfectly with the Xbox original (loved all those games btw. Jet set radiooooooo!!). Then halfway through the 360s life cycle they shit the bed and stop investing in first party exclusives and literally handed Sony the victory in the "console war". Sony even used that as their marketing campaign for PS4 "for the players" is a jab at Microsoft's sudden full on casual approach to their console.

I don't know if the heads have changed but I'm presuming they must have, they've really lost their way-hence 343. I remember on the back of the halo 3 box there was a review saying something along the lines of "the greatest game of the decade". I feel like that applies to the original trilogy. There was nothing else like it and there probably won't ever again. Been playing since the original. Multiplayer since 2, unbelievable online. The only thing I wish is that I played the games more when I had the chance. It's actually crazy how much I loved these games.

That's exactly what happened. Don Mattrick became the new head when the shift of the 360 happened (avatars, NXE, Kinect, etc.) and the Xbox One launch. The shift you see a year of so after the Xbox One is due to Mattrick getting fired for literally almost destroying Xbox and Phil "Based" Spencer replacing him.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Happy birthday Halo 1!

I never would have imagined I would still be playing this game 15 years later and for more than half of my life. I picked Halo up the day the Xbox launched and haven't put it down since. Throughout the years Halo has opened so many doors and given me so many opportunities. It has allowed me to travel, make new friends and a lifetime of memories and experience what I never would have thought possible from just a video game. Here is to another 15 years!

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's exactly what happened. Don Mattrick became the new head when the shift of the 360 happened (avatars, NXE, etc.) and the Xbox One launch. The shift you see a year of so after the Xbox One is due to Mattrick getting fired for literally almost destroying Xbox and Phil "Based" Spencer replacing him.

This needs to be stressed more.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can't believe it has been 15 years O_O

Started playing on day 1 and started playing online during the times of Gamespy tunneling. Amazing to not only still be playing the same franchise now but also to see how far online gaming has come since then. Really when you think about it 15 years is not all that long to go from using software to trick Xbox's into thinking they were LANing to what we have now where we are able to have skill based matchmaking, friends lists, ranking systems etc.

Halo was a big player in creating the landscape for online console gaming and I will be forever grateful to Bungie for creating such a masterpiece.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is anyone watching the Xbox stream on Beam or w/e? I can't watch at work but I'm interested in what they talk about specifically.

I remember my friends talking about this Halo game back in 2002-2003 at school, I only had a PS2 at the time but was intrigued. Randomly was at Family Video (kinda like a Blockbuster) shortly after and saw you could rent an Xbox system for a few days and thought what the hell let's give it a try with Halo.

I rushed home and hooked it up, I was immediately hooked on this game. I was looking for that next leap from playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the N64 and this was it. After renting I sold my PS2 and games and luckily the Xbox had a price drop around this time. My mom took me to Best Buy and I got my first Xbox console with Halo and Crimson Skies.

Crazy to think of all the fond memories I've had within the last 13-14 years thanks to a little piece of technology.

• Upvote (+1) 5

For some reason I have never forgotten what some guy said to me in matchmaking while playing Halo 2. It was team slayer on ivory tower, I was on the over shield ramp going up, he was at the top by the plasma pistol. I grabbed the overhield and thought, "This guy is toast." Right after the overshield invulnerability wore off he shot me with the plasma pistol and says, "Take that off!" He promptly finished me off and after ten years I still remember it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Hope this video link works lol

I used to run a Halo Club in Highschool we would System Link + split screen Halo every Lunch and afterschool on fridays.

Best Halo memories ever!

Hope this video link works lol

I used to run a Halo Club in Highschool we would System Link + split screen Halo every Lunch and afterschool on fridays.

Best Halo memories ever!

Video is private.

When you copy and paste from another forum, it will copy over the default font and color from that forum.  Either remove the formatting manually, like FarSight said, or use:  Ctrl+Shift-->Paste

That will remove formatting automatically.

I checked back this morning and it doesnt appear to be black anymore. Don't know what everyone else sees, but If I need to fix it/someone else does that would be nice.

I remember my friends talking about this Halo game back in 2002-2003 at school, I only had a PS2 at the time but was intrigued. Randomly was at Family Video (kinda like a Blockbuster) shortly after and saw you could rent an Xbox system for a few days and thought what the hell let's give it a try with Halo.

I rushed home and hooked it up, I was immediately hooked on this game. I was looking for that next leap from playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the N64 and this was it. After renting I sold my PS2 and games and luckily the Xbox had a price drop around this time. My mom took me to Best Buy and I got my first Xbox console with Halo and Crimson Skies.

Crazy to think of all the fond memories I've had within the last 13-14 years thanks to a little piece of technology.

I would do very bad things for a Crimsons Skies remastered or a Crimson Skies 2.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Can't believe it has been 15 years O_O

Started playing on day 1 and started playing online during the times of Gamespy tunneling. Amazing to not only still be playing the same franchise now but also to see how far online gaming has come since then. Really when you think about it 15 years is not all that long to go from using software to trick Xbox's into thinking they were LANing to what we have now where we are able to have skill based matchmaking, friends lists, ranking systems etc.

Halo was a big player in creating the landscape for online console gaming and I will be forever grateful to Bungie for creating such a masterpiece.

Give me Gamespy all day over this garbage MCC matchmaking. I would play so much more if there was a custom games list. 

Hce, H2 and H3 were so good they were life altering.

Then it just went to such a dark place. Reach, H4, the MCC, H5.

It was like watching a dear friend become a drug addict.(Reach/4) Then he hits rock bottom and steals your money.(MCC) Goes to rehab, comes back claiming hes changed for the better but he's still fucked.(H5)

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1