Tobes

General Politics Discussion Thread

Boy, you just totally forgot about that terrorist casualty list according to country THAT quick, huh? 

That still has nothing to do with what I was talking about. 

Obama himself made that list in accordance to threats to the Untied States, not the whole world. If you disagree with that list, you should write Obama a strongly written letter. I agree with Obama's list!

He instituted a slowing of refugee processing for one country on that list, because of a miscommunication error within the government (one that didn't even originate within his term). 

So are you going to let us all in on where you're going with this? 

He instituted a slowing of refugee processing for one country on that list, because of a miscommunication error within the government (one that didn't even originate within his term). 

So are you going to let us all in on where you're going with this? 

he's referring to this:

"In December 2015, President Obama signed into law a measure placing limited restrictions on certain travelers who had visited Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria on or after March 1, 2011. Two months later, the Obama administration added Libya, Somalia, and Yemen to the list, in what it called an effort to address "the growing threat from foreign terrorist fighters."
The restrictions specifically limited what is known as visa-waiver travel by those who had visited one of the seven countries within the specified time period. People who previously could have entered the United States without a visa were instead required to apply for one if they had traveled to one of the seven countries.
Under the law, dual citizens of visa-waiver countries and Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria could no longer travel to the U.S. without a visa. Dual citizens of Libya, Somalia, and Yemen could, however, still use the visa-waiver program if they hadn't traveled to any of the seven countries after March 2011."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/29/politics/how-the-trump-administration-chose-the-7-countries/

Fake news is crazy... the word use, the hyperbole... already here in Houston they're predicting how fast will the protests come for the supreme court nominee... and it's funny because you know tgeae protests are all fabricated paid for and bought by outside influencers.

he's referring to this:

"In December 2015, President Obama signed into law a measure placing limited restrictions on certain travelers who had visited Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria on or after March 1, 2011. Two months later, the Obama administration added Libya, Somalia, and Yemen to the list, in what it called an effort to address "the growing threat from foreign terrorist fighters."
The restrictions specifically limited what is known as visa-waiver travel by those who had visited one of the seven countries within the specified time period. People who previously could have entered the United States without a visa were instead required to apply for one if they had traveled to one of the seven countries.
Under the law, dual citizens of visa-waiver countries and Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria could no longer travel to the U.S. without a visa. Dual citizens of Libya, Somalia, and Yemen could, however, still use the visa-waiver program if they hadn't traveled to any of the seven countries after March 2011."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/29/politics/how-the-trump-administration-chose-the-7-countries/

I was talking about actual substantial travel restrictions he made for all of those countries he selected (of which there is only one sort-of-half-kinda); the point of this exchange is that people are trying to pin some false equivalency on Obama, when no such equivalency exists. 

And even beside that, when the fuck did Trump start listening to what Obama said? 

I thought the point was to explain how stopping immigration from xyz will in anyway improve the vetting of immigrants but honestly its hard to keep track of things in here

Why not talk about the jobs Trump is bringing back to our country, or talk about the regulations and taxes he is cutting. Talk about something positive for once, instead of pretending you work for CNN. Just a thought? lol 

As someone with a degree in economics, its always cute when trumpists act like mr.pumpkin face has any idea of economic policy.

But keep telling yourself that Mexico is going to pay for that wall when American consumers are going to be footing the bill of any tariffs.

Keep telling yourself that Trump is going to be bringing back "millions of manufacturing jobs" because lower middle class americans have somehow just been dying to sew t-shirts in a warehouse.

The sad thing is, any kind of rational argument will just land on deaf ears if it's not what you want to hear.

But what can you expect when you confuse ignorance with expertise?

As someone with a degree in economics, its always cute when trumpists act like mr.pumpkin face has any idea of economic policy.

But keep telling yourself that Mexico is going to pay for that wall when American consumers are going to be footing the bill of any tariffs.

Keep telling yourself that Trump is going to be bringing back "millions of manufacturing jobs" because lower middle class americans have somehow just been dying to sew t-shirts in a warehouse.

The sad thing is, any kind of rational argument will just land on deaf ears if it's not what you want to hear.

well we already know Mexico isn't paying for it. Or I would hope some of us know that...

Also have a degree in economics (not sure how that is relevant)

Why is everyone so convinced that a 20% tariff will cause economic collapse? I already pay extra for guac at chipotle.

What percentage did these same people want to raise the minimum wage by?

you're not sure how relevant an economics background is in a discussion about economics?
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Imagine starting a conversation with "as someone with a degree in economics" like damn bro we get it. Applebees ain't paying off those student loans as fast as you thought it would, nobody here is surprised that you don't like Trump. Most people who go to college thinking a career will just be handed to them afterwards tend to vote for presidents only because of their skin color and/or gender but like to use the term "uneducated racists" when describing people who voted for a business man that "says mean things" and actually does things he said he would do in his campaign.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

you're not sure how relevant an economics background is in a discussion about economics?

I guess I can provide a more serious answer for you.

2 top economists can have completely opposing sides to an argument. Neither is wrong until it is executed and results are seen. Also, I had classes with people that didn't know a thing about economics. I'm not saying they held different views than me, they really didn't know anything and somehow graduated. I also had people in my risk management program that are completely unable to setup a personal auto insurance policy for themselves,and still have that degree as well.

College certainly isn't easy, but it's not exactly difficult to get a degree. It doesn't give you some superiority in an argument because you have it. Especially when your argument is a bunch of insults and nothing demonstrating any knowledge of economics. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

It isn't relevant, it's just him trying to be a cocky ass hat under minding the rest of us by bringing up an expensive piece of paper he has hanging on his wall at his parents house. 

DeVos gets confirmed by Senate committee.

mm ya alright

As someone with a degree in our education system, I'm not so sure that was a good pick.

Yea, because the public education system was doing a great job before the Trump administration took over... 

Yea, because the public education system was doing a great job before the Trump administration took over... 

Looks like trump is going to keep that hot streak going.

Why is everyone so convinced that a 20% tariff will cause economic collapse? I already pay extra for guac at chipotle.

What percentage did these same people want to raise the minimum wage by?

Nice hyperbole. I think you know the point of the argument is that Trump says Mexico is going to be the one paying for the wall, not the US, which simply won't be true once all is said & done. One way or another, it's going to be the US that foots the bill. Saying Mexico is going to pay is either just a tactic to get all the idiots onboard w/ the idea who don't realize that that is false, or Trump is really just that fucking stupid. I'm going w/ the former, because even though I don't like Trump, I do not think he could possibly be that naive & misinformed.

Nice hyperbole. I think you know the point of the argument is that Trump says Mexico is going to be the one paying for the wall, not the US, which simply won't be true once all is said & done. One way or another, it's going to be the US that foots the bill. Saying Mexico is going to pay is either just a tactic to get all the idiots onboard w/ the idea who don't realize that that is false, or Trump is really just that fucking stupid. I'm going w/ the former, because even though I don't like Trump, I do not think he could possibly be that naive & misinformed.

I think the point of the argument was to  throw out a degree as a means of demonstrating expertise in a certain field, and then making an argument based on old and worn out insults. 

I could give 2 shits who pays for the wall. It's a small expense when coupled with the reduction in benefits given to people here illegally from legal citizen taxes. Send me my portion of the bill. Shit send me girlfriendhavers bill as well. I'll proudly pay his portion for him. 

Opinion invalid. You have no economics degree. Go to school first then comment.

Looks like trump is going to keep that hot streak going.

Jesus loves you