Tobes

General Politics Discussion Thread

lol racism against white guys isnt a real thing you piss baby

This comment summarizes perfectly on why people have a problem with liberals. It feels good to be sensible.

Small? Based on last years number it is a 60 billion dollar tax for a bad and bloated solution. 

A wall doesn't stop people from doing something illegal. 

Neither does gun control, but your people seem to want to push that.

Border walls are proven to be effective.

Are you being stupid on purpose, or are you trying to say something?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Neither does gun control, but your people seem to want to push that.

Border walls are proven to be effective.

Because there is a $$ side to things as well. Mental health research, closed loopholes, and extended background checks doesn't put a 20 billion $$$ price tag at the foot of the american people. 

Also, I'd love to see some of that border walls are proven to be effective research. A quick google search seems to prove they are inefficient and costly monsters unless someone is pulling the trigger on the other side of it. Not to mention the stuff that has been effective in other places hasn't worked in the US because of the scale. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because there is a $$ side to things as well. Mental health research, closed loopholes, and extended background checks doesn't put a 20 billion $$$ price tag at the foot of the american people. 

Also, I'd love to see some of that border walls are proven to be effective research. A quick google search seems to prove they are inefficient and costly monsters unless someone is pulling the trigger on the other side of it. 

Smooth edit.

Mental health is essentially a non issue regarding firearm sales.  There are no loopholes and an "extended background check" has and will do absolutely nothing.

Since when does a Democrat care about the allocation of tax payer dollars?

The West Bank Barrier is proof that border walls work.  I'd rather let the non Americans pull a trigger on their side of the beautiful Trump Wall than on our side.

What was your primary reason for voting for him out of curiosity?

He's not Hillary Clinton.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Smooth edit.

Mental health is essentially a non issue regarding firearm sales.  There are no loopholes and an "extended background check" has and will do absolutely nothing.

Since when does a Democrat care about the allocation of tax payer dollars?

The West Bank Barrier is proof that border walls work.  I'd rather let the non Americans pull a trigger on their side of the beautiful Trump Wall than on our side.

Except 3/4 of the most recent mass shooting were carried out by people with a history of mental illness. I'll grab the article if you want to read it. That's a pattern to me. 

Oregon has an absolute loophole. You can private sell a gun and avoid all the normal checks. A couple of the guns I own are from that type of sale down at the albany gun show. 

Except I've gone over the statistics there, so whatever. 

And it works fairly well in a heavily populated area, but even the people who made the damn thing are saying a wall is inefficient a long the entire border. That they would implement things we have been doing since 2004 to try and fix the problem. 

Plus, walls aren't one and done endeavours. Consistent repairs need to be made, needs to be constantly watched. You're going to be sinking money into it for decades to come.

He's not Hillary Clinton.

why do you think this is a good thing, might I ask?

Except 3/4 of the most recent mass shooting were carried out by people with a history of mental illness. I'll grab the article if you want to read it. That's a pattern to me. 

Oregon has an absolute loophole. You can private sell a gun and avoid all the normal checks. A couple of the guns I own are from that type of sale down at the albany gun show. 

Except I've gone over the statistics there, so whatever. 

And it works fairly well in a heavily populated area, but even the people who made the damn thing are saying a wall is inefficient a long the entire border. That they would implement things we have been doing since 2004 to try and fix the problem. 

Wow, where to begin. 

Less than 1% of all gun related murders are classified as mass shootings, and (incorrectly) claiming that 75% of recent mass shootings are by people with obvious and diagnosed mental illness is incorrect.  Eliminating that 1%, while it would be a good thing will not make a noticeable difference in the amount of people murdered.

FBI statistics claim that there were 133 mass murders between 2009-2015, and only 1 involved an assailant that was legally not allowed to own a firearm due to mental illness.

Oregon does not and never had a loophole.  You are required to perform a background check on all firearm sales, private or not.  Also, back when it was legal to sell privately it was not a loophole, because it was perfectly legal.  You really need to brush up on this topic if you are going to talk about it.

Obviously a wall is not going to solve all of the immigration problems we have in this country, but actually enforcing existing laws and creating harsher punishments for criminals would help.  We need to end birthright citizenship, but that will be a different battle all together.

The West Bank Barrier is proof that border walls work.*

Sorry, just thought I'd insert that asterisk for you. The construction of the wall coincided with the Hamas ceasefire, which makes the wall's coincidence with decreasing suicide attacks a correlation, not a causation. 

Then there's the fact that the wall is 1/4 the size of what the U.S. would build...the fact that 85% of it is just fencing...and the fact that it's not the physical wall that is the main strategy of the Israelis, but rather the intercept protocol they run. That means the entire wall has to be fully staffed by a military or para-military presence 24/7/365. 

This is all getting away from the fact that we're talking about economic migrants vs. people with bombs strapped to their chests. 

Wow, where to begin. 

Less than 1% of all gun related murders are classified as mass shootings, and (incorrectly) claiming that 75% of recent mass shootings are by people with obvious and diagnosed mental illness is incorrect.  Eliminating that 1%, while it would be a good thing will not make a noticeable difference in the amount of people murdered.

FBI statistics claim that there were 133 mass murders between 2009-2015, and only 1 involved an assailant that was legally not allowed to own a firearm due to mental illness.

Oregon does not and never had a loophole.  You are required to perform a background check on all firearm sales, private or not.  Also, back when it was legal to sell privately it was not a loophole, because it was perfectly legal.  You really need to brush up on this topic if you are going to talk about it.

Obviously a wall is not going to solve all of the immigration problems we have in this country, but actually enforcing existing laws and creating harsher punishments for criminals would help.  We need to end birthright citizenship, but that will be a different battle all together.

Definitely accidentally went with a slash instead of 3-4. so that my mistake. I'll take that one. The issue with that FBI statistic is this. These people are being treated properly, so they aren't getting the proper diagnosis. That's why it is called mental health research and why we end up digging deeper into their mental health issues after the fact. People always talk about all the signs, but these people aren't being diagnosed properly. 

We shouldn't be finding out after the fact that they had a history of mental health episodes and were still able to buy a gun. That's the mental health problem when it comes to guns in the US among all the other issues it causes with joblessness and homelessness. 

It absolutely was a loophole and still is in many places, but thank you for pointing toward me doing so. Definitely didn't realize that one had been closed and that they've been working on the Charleston loophole as well. It is still a way that gun sales are occurring without background checks in many places. That's a problem in my opinion. 

The idea that we aren't enforcing these things always bugs me. Homeland security has a large budget (42B) and is actively working on the issue. I just don't get how people latch onto a wall as the way to fix the problem. Maybe if you were putting it between to smaller sized states, but the pure scale or such a wall especially with the water ways so close just makes no sense. And the you start thinking about cost and it gets worse. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

lmao, going back to back 

same punch but a different angle. the 'white lives matter too much' sign was in the first punch video. but don't worry, as soon as there is a new punch i'll be the first to post

and I admire chomsky and agree with him up until we start dealing with nazis. i don't think nazis should have the freedom of expression again

Are you being stupid on purpose, or are you trying to say something?

I say this to myself everytime I see you post

Sorry, just thought I'd insert that asterisk for you. The construction of the wall coincided with the Hamas ceasefire, which makes the wall's coincidence with decreasing suicide attacks a correlation, not a causation. 

Then there's the fact that the wall is 1/4 the size of what the U.S. would build...the fact that 85% of it is just fencing...and the fact that it's not the physical wall that is the main strategy of the Israelis, but rather the intercept protocol they run. That means the entire wall has to be fully staffed by a military or para-military presence 24/7/365. 

This is all getting away from the fact that we're talking about economic migrants vs. people with bombs strapped to their chests. 

More importantly, if I hired a crew of mexicans, we could get much more work done than if i hired a crew of jews, nam sayin? 

Mexicans are the hardest working people I know, they are the american dream in the 21st century. After donald made his comments about them I decided to see if he was right or not, and lol per usual he is way off. I now shop at mexican grocery stores and try to support my local immigrant communities as much as possible. Going to get Carnitas and Barbacoa on saturday! Its going to be 100% more authentic than taco bell or any of my local gringo eateries 

I really cant believe he is building this wall. There is a rich and ancient culture over there, but unfortunately the media mentions mexicans in a negative light 99% of the time - almost exclusively with crime and immigration

• Upvote (+1) 2

More importantly, if I hired a crew of mexicans, we could get much more work done than if i hired a crew of jews, nam sayin? 

Mexicans are the hardest working people I know, they are the american dream in the 21st century. After donald made his comments about them I decided to see if he was right or not, and lol per usual he is way off. I now shop at mexican grocery stores and try to support my local immigrant communities as much as possible. Going to get Carnitas and Barbacoa on saturday! Its going to be 100% more authentic than taco bell or any of my local gringo eateries 

I really cant believe he is building this wall. There is a rich and ancient culture over there, but unfortunately the media mentions mexicans in a negative light 99% of the time - almost exclusively with crime and immigration

Trump just wants to maintain the Mexican culture by building the wall and protecting them for Americanism. He's trying to help and in the midst of eating your Carnitas, you were too distracted to see it

• Upvote (+1) 2

fuck, but i need that authentic mexican food

Look how happy these Mexicans are. That could be you if you would just stop being so close-minded.

hqdefault.jpg