Tobes

General Politics Discussion Thread

Some of the best news all year. Hopefully, it gets challenged all the way to the supreme court so we can get rid of Roe V Wade. (Luckily, there are other abortion laws much closer to the SC, so we won't even have to wait that long).

Nothing sums up the current American left like a male feminist (also an elected Democrat), assaulting an elderly lady who is just quietly praying, in front of an abortion clinic, and then calling her the bully. Disgusting. What a complete loser. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Ben Shapiro quitting an interview on bbc oh my goodness :laughing::laughing::laughing: not so easy debating people who aren’t college students :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Facts over feelings, but feelings just keeps winning :laughing:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, TheDood said:

Do you think what those parents are doing to their child is ok or good for society?

I don't think what happens on a minuscule basis should be precedent for tearing an entire system down. Obviously a sentiment that you guys don't share, given your viewpoints on welfare, abortion, etc. 

Also, the judiciary is way too powerful currently, so this is a good thing

Really, really rich coming from someone who hasn't uttered a peep about McConnell's abuse of the legislature.

16 minutes ago, TheDood said:
Some of the best news all year. Hopefully, it gets challenged all the way to the supreme court so we can get rid of Roe V Wade. (Luckily, there are other abortion laws much closer to the SC, so we won't even have to wait that long).

lmfao weren't you one of the losers who was like, "Kavanaugh already toooootally promised he won't challenge Roe v. Wade, pro-choice is safe for realsies"

7 minutes ago, legendaryshotz said:

Ben Shapiro quitting an interview on bbc oh my goodness :laughing::laughing::laughing: not so easy debating people who aren’t college students :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Facts over feelings, but feelings just keeps winning :laughing:

I saw that. It was kinda sad not gonna lie

6 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

I don't think what happens on a minuscule basis should be precedent for tearing an entire system down. Obviously a sentiment that you guys don't share, given your viewpoints on welfare, abortion, etc. 

Really, really rich coming from someone who hasn't uttered a peep about McConnell's abuse of the legislature.

Lots of things start at a minuscule basis. His parents should be in jail.

What abuses has McConnell done? Honest question

Just now, Cursed Lemon said:

lmfao weren't you one of the losers who was like, "Kavanaugh already toooootally promised he won't challenge Roe v. Wade, pro-choice is safe for realsies"

He probably won't. Which is why we replace the horrible RBG with Amy Barret. 

Also, if RvW is overturned, which it should be because it is one of the least constitutional rulings of all time, it would not ban abortions. It would merely return the issue to the states.

• Upvote (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheDood said:

What abuses has McConnell done? Honest question

He probably won't. Which is why we replace the horrible RBG with Amy Barret. 

Also, if RvW is overturned, which it should be because it is one of the least constitutional rulings of all time, it would not ban abortions. It would merely return the issue to the states.

Asks what oversteps McConnell has done.

Yaks on about the Supreme Court without mentioning Gorsuch. 

Is it freeing to not possess a conscience? 

22 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Asks what oversteps McConnell has done.

Yaks on about the Supreme Court without mentioning Gorsuch. 

Is it freeing to not possess a conscience? 

Oh so I assume that you are complaining about the Senate *checks notes* doing its job...?

Turns out, the Senate does not have to appoint people if it does not want to. 

I thought I was actually going to learn something there, but it was just you being a sore loser, and not understanding how government works. FeelsBadMan

• Fire (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheDood said:

Nothing sums up the current American left like a male feminist (also an elected Democrat), assaulting an elderly lady who is just quietly praying, in front of an abortion clinic, and then calling her the bully. Disgusting. What a complete loser. 

Why is an abortion at 6 weeks bad?

Is it a moral or religious issue for you? maybe both?

13 minutes ago, Cypress said:

Why is an abortion at 6 weeks bad?

Is it a moral or religious issue for you? maybe both?

Yes. 

But also, where would you draw the line on abortion? Brain activity? Heartbeat? Is it a certain size? I feel like to be logically consistent you either have to believe that abortion should be legal until birth (although you would have to explain what magical properties the birth canal has that can bestow personhood), or it has to be bad after conception. I could be wrong, and would be open to seeing where other people draw the line on personhood and why.

For everyone, if you do not think that abortion is wrong after conception, but do not want it legal all the way until birth, what line do you draw and why? I am interested to see if you is just gut feelings or if there is a logic behind why a fetus is a person after 21 weeks but not before 20 weeks, for example.

20 minutes ago, TheDood said:

Yes. 

But also, where would you draw the line on abortion? Brain activity? Heartbeat? Is it a certain size? I feel like to be logically consistent you either have to believe that abortion should be legal until birth (although you would have to explain what magical properties the birth canal has that can bestow personhood), or it has to be bad after conception. I could be wrong, and would be open to seeing where other people draw the line on personhood and why.

I think viability is a good determination but it's definitely a complex issue as our technology in the medical field advances.

I believe in a woman's right to control her own body and future and generally disagree with anything related to religion interfering in politics.

There's also two issues I have with abortion from a partisan perspective.  1.  abortion generally reduces the voting numbers of liberal citizens by obvious reasoning.  2.  anti-abortion stances push away women voters.    :simms:

• Thonking (+0) 1

7 minutes ago, Cypress said:

I think viability is a good determination but it's definitely a complex issue as our technology in the medical field advances.

Do you mean viable as in, it can survive with medical help (around 20 weeks, and getting sooner all the time), or do you mean viable as in can survive without help outside the womb? 

I believe in a woman's right to control her own body and future and generally disagree with anything related to religion interfering in politics.

Slogans aren't policy proposals. Of course, a woman should control her own body, the question is whether the fetus inside is her body or not? As for controlling her future,  this is also obviously true, but it has its limits. If I wanted to control my future, but to do so I have to kill someone, perhaps I should not control that aspect of my future. Most abortions are not from rape, and therefore they are being used as birth control, for what is the natural result of consensual sex. Therefore, if she was not raped, the woman had the choice earlier, and yet choose to gamble. That gamble should not result in the death of the fetus, if avoidable. 

Of course, if the mother's life is at serious risk, then the fetus could be aborted, unfortunately. The mother certainly has more moral value than the fetus, however, the question is whether the fetus has any moral value at all. If it does, then it should be left to its natural processes and be allowed to live when possible.

Religion is just organized and standardized morality. All laws are legislated morality. Therefore, Religion will always be involved with laws, the question is, whether Religion happens to be right or not.

Thanks for the honest response!

26 minutes ago, TheDood said:

Do you mean viable as in, it can survive with medical help (around 20 weeks, and getting sooner all the time), or do you mean viable as in can survive without help outside the womb? 

Viable as in, it can survive outside the womb with aid.  That is how it's described in Roe V. Wade.  

26 minutes ago, TheDood said:

Slogans aren't policy proposals. Of course, a woman should control her own body, the question is whether the fetus inside is her body or not? As for controlling her future,  this is also obviously true, but it has its limits. If I wanted to control my future, but to do so I have to kill someone, perhaps I should not control that aspect of my future. Most abortions are not from rape, and therefore they are being used as birth control, for what is the natural result of consensual sex. Therefore, if she was not raped, the woman had the choice earlier, and yet choose to gamble. That gamble should not result in the death of the fetus, if avoidable. 

A fetus inside a females body is most definitely part of 'her' body until the baby is viable, which means it can be extracted and survive.   

About controlling your own future... do you believe in protecting yourself with deadly force?

On the topic of birth control... yes, abortion is most definitely a form of birth control.  Today's birth controls like pills / condoms etc. are very effective but not 100% and guess what, humans beings aren't going to stop fucking because 'abstinence' or religion.   We are advanced monkeys my guy.

Also by outlawing abortion, you are not stopping abortion, you are only forcing women to find unsafe alternatives.  Sounds similar to gun control.  :thinking:

On 5/10/2019 at 2:21 PM, Cypress said:

On 5/10/2019 at 2:21 PM, Cypress said:

[A]nd guess what, humans beings aren't going to stop fucking because 'abstinence' or religion.   We are advanced monkeys my guy.

Oh really? :kappa:

• Fire (+1) 1

7 hours ago, akaWest said:

One of the greatest self owns of the news cycle

"Practice abstinence to own the cons" - twitter liberals

Democrats and the poor are the people who get the most abortions.

Democrats and the poor raise children that often turn out just as worthless and stupid as they are.

Abortions should not only be legal, they should be encouraged.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rick said:

Democrats and the poor raise children that often turn out just as worthless and stupid as they are.

do u ever just stop projecting

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rick said:

Margaret Sanger would agree with you. 

I'm bored - Quick someone challenge one of my beliefs 

Abortion is just a way to get future criminals off of the streets.

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

Abortion is just a way to get future criminals off of the streets.

Not all poor kids become criminals.

Not all black kids become criminals.

Also, in civilized countries, we don't normally execute people BEFORE they commit crimes.

Are kids raised by adopted parents significantly more likely to be criminals?