Tobes

General Politics Discussion Thread

Faith shows the reality of what we hope for, and is the evidence of things we cannot see.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

9 hours ago, pharmassists said:

On the topic of astronomy, what do you think about the taurid media stream? I watched some guy on Rogan who thinks it's a threat and is responsible for destroying old world civilizations 

Maybe it's plausible but I know next to nothing about both topics.

20 hours ago, Cypress said:

@RVG E Nomini

I’d love to learn more about these multiverse theories and specifically how they are found through mathematical models.   What i’d also like to know even more about is:

1.  Do liberals occupy any planets within these theoretical multiverses?

2. If Q1 answer is a no, how do we access said multiverses?

thanks in advance.  

They used to but their scientists determined that their star was fascist and they built a giant rocket so they could go hit it with bike locks. You can imagine how well that plan worked in 5 million kelvin conditions.

4 hours ago, pharmassists said:

Okay now I'm worried lol.

1 hour ago, RVG E Nomini said:

They used to but their scientists determined that their star was fascist and they built a giant rocket so they could go hit it with bike locks. You can imagine how well that plan worked in 5 million kelvin conditions.

Okay now I'm worried lol.

It's something never mentioned, but a possibility that humans aren't currently prepared to deal with. 

"No more thoughts and prayers", should be the Democrat motto. It is clear that they no longer pray, and I am not sure that they do a whole lot of thinking either. 

Pray instead of seeing a doctor next time you’re sick and see how effective it is at healing you.

Think that’s the point they’re trying to get across. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also this isn’t related but I wanted to say thank you and congrats to you Pete for the weight loss, it’s inspired me to cut back on sweets and soda as well and I already feel amazing! You’re an inspiration brother!

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, legendaryshotz said:

Pray instead of seeing a doctor next time you’re sick and see how effective it is at healing you.

That's bullshit.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-human-beast/201103/faith-healing-shouldnt-work-it-does

I can tell you that your mindset does affect outcomes. This isn't limited to Christianity. 

SSRIs perform similar to placebo in clinical trials. This is because people believe they work. Belief is powerful even if it isn't true.

I interned at Mayo clinic and oncologist would encourage people to pray. 

Now if you're saying pray without going to a doctor. Yeah that's ******** lol

1 hour ago, pharmassists said:

That's bullshit.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-human-beast/201103/faith-healing-shouldnt-work-it-does

I can tell you that your mindset does affect outcomes. This isn't limited to Christianity. 

SSRIs perform similar to placebo in clinical trials. This is because people believe they work. Belief is powerful even if it isn't true.

I interned at Mayo clinic and oncologist would encourage people to pray. 

Now if you're saying pray without going to a doctor. Yeah that's ******** lol

It all stems of positivity, not the prayer itself. Humans while having a positive attitude are more likely to do the correct things to stay alive while sick. In religious people their way of expressing this positivity is saying a prayer, with this false misnomer that god is going to watch them and protect them, giving them a positive feeling therefore doing the correct things like going to a doctor and taking the correct medications so on and so fourth.

They’re essentially tricking themself into a positive mindset.  Now I don’t really care about that, whatever works I guess. However giving prayer actual credit that doctors and science worked on for potentially decades for a cure/treatment is criminally offensive, also can be severely dangerous to the people who just give prayer all the credit and think it’s the cure all. That’s what eventually leads people to not seeing a doctor, or taking medication, positive or not, then eventually leading to severe complications or even death.

You can do all this without prayer with the exact same results, because it’s no secret that people that feel happier or positive will survive or overcome illness quicker than someone who is pessimistic and sad about the potential bad outcome. Because they are just more likely to go to doctor appointments, go get treatments, go get medication, so on and so fourth.

Circling back to the “thoughts and prayers” argument this is why people get so pissed of at it. The prayer does nothing. Yet somehow gets all the credit and that god will take care of it, which lullabies people into a false sense of security and not changing shit. Passing laws or doing research to finding the cure is leaps and bounds more effective and will lead to obvious beneficial results. 

8 hours ago, pharmassists said:

It's something never mentioned, but a possibility that humans aren't currently prepared to deal with. 

Never say never as long as Bruce Willis is still alive.

• Upvote (+1) 1

8 hours ago, legendaryshotz said:

You really OWNED me there. 

If by owned you mean, completely missed my point. 

1 hour ago, TheDood said:

688x292.jpeg.02a93b5142dc45819e8236c80d926fa6.large

Modern Liberalism explained. 

This is conservatives actually.

Radical reactionaries wishing to usurp the social order.

Ben Shapiro is alt=right but for Israel.

6 hours ago, TheDood said:

You really OWNED me there. 

If by owned you mean, completely missed my point. 

Because your point was so, so very salient to begin with. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Niku said:

This is conservatives actually.

Radical reactionaries wishing to usurp the social order.

Are conservatives the ones who want to redefine gender, sex, and marriage? 

Are conservatives the ones who want to radically change the racial, ethnic, cultural, and linguistic makeup of our country overnight? 

Are conservatives the ones who actively try and overhaul our entire economic system?

Are conservatives the ones who are openly against the founding religion of our civilization?  

Are conservatives the ones who think some regulation can magically change the planet's climate?

Since the French Revolution, leftists have always been the ones who want to drastically change society with no regard to anything outside of their own utopianist ideas. 

7 hours ago, Niku said:

Ben Shapiro is alt=right but for Israel.

What does this even mean? 

If it was up to conservatives we'd still be scratching our asses in caves because we all know how deathly afraid they are of change. Also why they can never let go of religion thousands of years later. Dinosaur mentality.

Do you ever realize when anything tries to change, no matter how big, small, important, etc. It's always a laundry list of just the absolute worst case scenarios. No we want the status quo, we want white people to forever be the majority, etc. Astromically stupid considering a. We're in the internet age, change is happening like crazy and b. With technological advancements change happens at an exponential rate, not linear.  I can agree yes all change is not coheriently good but in the grand scheme of things its a net positive for our society and as a species.

I don't have a problem with technological advancement. Like, at all. 

I question how we are supposed to continue to advance while destroying and undermining everything that allowed us to get as far as we have. We are neither smarter nor wiser than everyone person who came before us, simply because we have the internet. Human nature is the same as it has been, and things like institutions are the way that they are, for a reason. 

57 minutes ago, TheDood said:

I don't have a problem with technological advancement. Like, at all. 

I question how we are supposed to continue to advance while destroying and undermining everything that allowed us to get as far as we have. We are neither smarter nor wiser than everyone person who came before us, simply because we have the internet. Human nature is the same as it has been, and things like institutions are the way that they are, for a reason. 

Many of those institutions are either inherently based on fear and/or social pressure, or are enforced that way. Are you really all that surprised that a lot of people want to buck those trends? 

3 hours ago, pharmassists said:

This is a debate that should be nuanced, but all I see are broad brushes.

Of course. I'm speaking generally because this whole conversation started over a meme. Obviously, some things are worth preserving, and many things are not. 

21 minutes ago, TheDood said:

Of course. I'm speaking generally because this whole conversation started over a meme. Obviously, some things are worth preserving, and many things are not. 

For sure. Just would like to discuss those things rather than "you want to change everything" vs "you would never change to the point that you would be living in caves".

• Upvote (+1) 1