Tobes

General Politics Discussion Thread

No, he's not supposed to lie. He's supposed to not be a complete piece of shit either. Because if the tables were turned, and lets say Rubin said that he wouldn't attend bens wedding because he was a jew, the blowback would be astronomical and I'm sure ben would be offended and would have every right to be. No excuse could be good enough to wiggle your way out of that reasoning. Same happend with Shapiro. I know for sure you noticed all the stutters and delays in delivering anything to not go to this gay anniversary party. His answer of thinking of being gay is a sin and intermarriage is just bullshit. Any logical person that is a friend and that cares for someone else would go. Hence the struggle, hence the grasping for anything to justify one's own inner struggle of facts vs their own faith based/no evidence/illogical ideal of being gay is a sin. Oh the irony, it is sweet. Fact doesn't care about feelings unless the feelings are in me religion!

Next - Tolerance. I don't think you know what that means. You could tell Rubin was visibly upset that his friend was just disrespecting his identity right in front of him. Tolerance falls on Shapiro in this specific situation, not on Rubin.  It’s not up to Rubin to be tolerant of Shapiros intolerance. Sure, you're not going to get approval from every person in the world, of course. But your good friend? Someone you've invited on your show multiple times? Talk to alot? That's what friends do? Oh you're gay and thats sin in my book of make believe therefore naw man, sorry. Everything I think you do with the love of your life is no bueno. Wow. Some friend. Imagine if Rubin said this to Shapiro's significant other. Just imagine. "Sorry shapiro jewish religion is not good in my book, and everything you do with your wife is bad". Goodness dude. This is what you're letting him get away with? "In 2019"? 

Thirdly, this one is very simple. Dave isn't being mature in this clip. The only reason why he didn't press shapiro to epic loss is because of Koch brother money. That's a fact, look it up. He cannot get too out of line of a certain belief structure or else bye bye ez money. Spineless. He was getting there. But went to a screeching hault once that line presented itself. Koch, line. I am too funny. (jk).

Clarification. Right. Cherrypicking. One could easily argue that Shapiro is supporting the "sinful" behaviors of Dave by coming onto his show. No secret that Shapiro has a big audience, so isn't this supporting gay people indirectly? Is his god ok with this? Do you not see the laughable irony?  Remember, facts over feelings. The feeling of being gay is a sin, with no evidence, vs fact that there's gay people and gay animals proven by biology. My 5 thousand year old book written by Moses supercedes science. Therefore I get to be as ignorant as I want! If moses wrote black people are bad I could also get away with that too! And yes, im sure trying to fool god is just as big of a sin as being gay. Let me clarify god, I went to a bbq. Not a gay anniversary. Absolved of any sin.

Remember guys, the right is totally tolerant of gay people. Trump waived a rainbow flag once and ben shapiro mildly declined a gay anniversary party in the most respectful of manners, by going on his friends own show and pretty much telling him his whole life was a mistake, a sin. But a bottle of sweet baby ray's on the table and he would indeed attend.

Edit: the context as to why im hammering facts over feelings so hard:

• Fire (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, TheDood said:

Watching Legends talk about religion is like watching a boomer complain about esports. 

What? No. This analogy literally makes no sense. Esports in this context is new ideals and the advancement of science and tech, and old people aka boomers who are out of touch are complaining about it. Religion is an old, out of date, pile of fake documents and texts that describes the undescribable due to sheer lack of understanding of nature and the universe. Science is esports. So yes, boomers (religion) complaining about esports (science).

On 4/25/2019 at 12:04 PM, WhyIsPuffyTaken said:

im going off of his current platform. he was more radical in the 80s however

How so? 

A religious alt right nut job claiming to having a monopoly on factz and logic is the most hilarious thing I've seen from modern American discourse. You are all freaks and your future is fucking bleak judging from the quality of this thread.

• Fire (+1) 1

7 hours ago, legendaryshotz said:

What? No. This analogy literally makes no sense. Esports in this context is new ideals and the advancement of science and tech, and old people aka boomers who are out of touch are complaining about it. Religion is an old, out of date, pile of fake documents and texts that describes the undescribable due to sheer lack of understanding of nature and the universe. Science is esports. So yes, boomers (religion) complaining about esports (science).

I'm referring to the dismissive, self-assured, arrogance and complete lack of understanding. "They're just lazy losers who play video games all day anyone can do that" "Sky wizard lol have you watched bill nye? ITS SCIENCE MAn" 

4 hours ago, Niku said:

A religious alt right nut job claiming to having a monopoly on factz and logic is the most hilarious thing I've seen from modern American discourse. You are all freaks and your future is fucking bleak judging from the quality of this thread.

I'm glad that you made it clear that you do not understand what the Alt-right is. 

Thirdly, this one is very simple. Dave isn't being mature in this clip. The only reason why he didn't press shapiro to epic loss is because of Koch brother money. That's a fact, look it up. He cannot get too out of line of a certain belief structure or else bye bye ez money. Spineless. He was getting there. But went to a screeching hault once that line presented itself. Koch, line. I am too funny. (jk).

The pro gay-marriage Koch brothers, are forcing Dave Rubin to be against gay marriage? They are much closer politically to Dave than Ben. You don't know anything. 

Clarification. Right. Cherrypicking. One could easily argue that Shapiro is supporting the "sinful" behaviors of Dave by coming onto his show. No secret that Shapiro has a big audience, so isn't this supporting gay people indirectly? Is his god ok with this? Do you not see the laughable irony?  Remember, facts over feelings. The feeling of being gay is a sin, with no evidence, vs fact that there's gay people and gay animals proven by biology. My 5 thousand year old book written by Moses supercedes science. Therefore I get to be as ignorant as I want! If moses wrote black people are bad I could also get away with that too! And yes, im sure trying to fool god is just as big of a sin as being gay. Let me clarify god, I went to a bbq. Not a gay anniversary. Absolved of any sin.

Except of course it's not. Associating with gay people is not affirming all aspects of their life. That is crazy to say. Being gay isn't a sin, homosexual acts are. Supporting a marriage is different than hanging out with a friend that you disagree with. But I'm glad that you apparently know more about the Jewish religion than all the Jewish scholars throughout time. That is impressive.

Why do you desire that every person in the world is lockstep in line with your ideas? Why are you so concerned with the thought crims of others? 

NOT EVERYONE IN SOCIETY HAS TO APPROVE OF THE BEHAVIOR OF EVERYONE ELSE.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You took a philosophy 101 class (or perhaps just watched Crash Course online), attended church on Christmas once, followed Neil deGrasse Tyson on Twitter and watched some edgy atheist videos from 2008 on Youtube, and now you believe that you are an expert on all manners of religion and philosophy. You know nothing of science, yet make vague appeals to it to disprove "sky wizards" ahem I mean, divine strawmen.  It would be laughable if it wasn't so sad to watch.

Beyond that, your obsession with Ben Shapiro is so bizarre. 

• Salt (-1) 1

Hahahahahahahahaha. I went to church for 16 years. Every Sunday. Polish families are very strict about it. It’s all lunacy. Once I got my drivers license I said fuck this and stopped going. I had my doubts about religion ever since I was about 10. You know why? Because there’s a ton of shit that doesn’t make sense and there’s definitely a lot of very concerning things in the Bible that people either cherrypick to ignore, or if they do believe it they are flat out looney tunes. I always thought Jesus was the greatest magician ever. He fooled billions of people that he turned water into wine, and for thousands of years. Impressive.

The one thing you’re right about is yes, a lot of my information does come from the internet. Back in the day all I had was time. Was an avid RuneScape/Halo player, so during my grind I’d watch YouTube videos and read up on science, especially on the topics of space and universe, because it greatly interested me. That naturally transitioned to finding videos from the likes of the Amazing Atheist, Armoured Skeptic, Thunderf00t, hell even Sargon of Akkad before he opened his mouth about politics and starting shitting the bed. I’ve done years upon years of research on this. Yes, I also went to college. Took a lot of philosophy courses for my electives. Also taken a lot of chem, biology, organic chemistry (fucking sucks and is very hard, I’ll be honest). Funny thing is you’re bashing people for taking philosophy 101 “crash courses”, but the actual class itself at least at my school was amazing and had a variety of good, civil discussions about philosophy. 

Lastly, it’s just so easy to say sky wizard and there’s just nothing you can refute it with. What are you going to do, actually show me evidence of god existing?  No of course not, because it doesn’t exist. Instead, god of gaps argument and point to some old philosopher from thousands of years ago and say ha! He has made a case for ‘potentially’  a god to exist in our universe. But even then those arguments have holes, and pretty big ones.

On a side note: akaWest LOL, please explain how I’m a bigot. Oh this is going to be great. “You’re a bigot because you don’t just unequivocally accept my various forms of bigotry!!!” Sure bud.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, TheDood said:

You took a philosophy 101 class (or perhaps just watched Crash Course online), attended church on Christmas once, followed Neil deGrasse Tyson on Twitter and watched some edgy atheist videos from 2008 on Youtube, and now you believe that you are an expert on all manners of religion and philosophy. You know nothing of science, yet make vague appeals to it to disprove "sky wizards" ahem I mean, divine strawmen.  It would be laughable if it wasn't so sad to watch.

Beyond that, your obsession with Ben Shapiro is so bizarre. 

I haven't debated religion in years because there's no thread on it here with any pulse. It's a shame because it's a fascinating topic.

7 hours ago, Niku said:

Lost all credibility calling Shapiro alt right

1 hour ago, RVG E Nomini said:

I haven't debated religion in years because there's no thread on it here with any pulse. It's a shame because it's a fascinating topic.

It wouldn't be a debate, it would be full of pretentious people belittling anybody that's not a woke atheist.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, pharmassists said:

It wouldn't be a debate, it would be full of pretentious people belittling anybody that's not a woke atheist.

Yeah when you go to court and present all the evidence it’s hard to be like “your honor, I promise you, it happened this way. I have no evidence at all but just trust me man. Have faith.”

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pharmassists said:

Perhaps, but it's still an important conversation.

31 minutes ago, legendaryshotz said:

Yeah when you go to court and present all the evidence it’s hard to be like “your honor, I promise you, it happened this way. I have no evidence at all but just trust me man. Have faith.”

Faith is subjective. It's just as hard for me to believe the universe exploded into existence millions of years ago so 343 could ruin Halo.

• Fire (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, RVG E Nomini said:

Perhaps, but it's still an important conversation.

Legend already proved my point LMAO.

The problem is people already made their minds up and you can't persuade or argue beliefs that are dogmatically the core to their existence.

Nobody could convince me God existed until something happened that I can't explain with reasoning.

6 minutes ago, pharmassists said:

The problem is people already made their minds up and you can't persuade or argue beliefs that are dogmatically the core to their existence.

Precisely why shit posting is the only logical form of communication here.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Cypress said:

Precisely why shit posting is the only logical form of communication here.   

Amen Lord Cypress.

3 hours ago, RVG E Nomini said:

It's a shame because it's a fascinating topic.

Gonna have to hard disagree. 

Religion hasn't been fun ("fun") to debate since 2006. The philosophical and scientific side of it is and always has been a complete waste of time to entertain, while the sociopoiltical aspect of it has no relevance because it's already covered by basic group dynamics and generally more fundamental human psychology. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, pharmassists said:

Faith is subjective. It's just as hard for me to believe the universe exploded into existence millions of years ago so 343 could ruin Halo.

We don't know, therefore god. Good argument.

• Downvote (-1) 1

12 minutes ago, legendaryshotz said:

We don't know, therefore god. Good argument.

The philosophical question is not how it happened , it's why it happened. Because nothing needs to happen. 

I don't believe in God of the gaps

4 hours ago, pharmassists said:

Legend already proved my point LMAO.

Nobody could convince me God existed until something happened that I can't explain with reasoning.

People change their minds all the time so it's worth conversing about. Don't discount the people who read but don't post, I've had many responses and talks with people who don't post but appreciate the dialogue. Probably the main issue you've encountered is that most people suck at talking with and to others instead of at and over others.

4 hours ago, pharmassists said:

I don't believe in God of the gaps

This statement is inconsistent with the last statement in your previous quote above. Not having the reasoning to explain something is the actual result of having a gap in your knowledge.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, RVG E Nomini said:

People change their minds all the time so it's worth conversing about. Don't discount the people who read but don't post, I've had many responses and talks with people who don't post but appreciate the dialogue. Probably the main issue you've encountered is that most people suck at talking with and to others instead of at and over others.

This statement is inconsistent with the last statement in your previous quote above. Not having the reasoning to explain something is the actual result of having a gap in your knowledge.

Which specific part? I'm assuming you mean the "something happening that I cannot explain". 

7 minutes ago, pharmassists said:

Which specific part? I'm assuming you mean the "something happening that I cannot explain". 

Correct.

17 minutes ago, RVG E Nomini said:

Correct.

It's an anecdote and I wouldn't think it appropriate to argue from. 

There are personal experiences that make me believe vs philosophical questions that I think are more relevant. The personal experience lead me to ask the questions I hadn't considered before hand.

Also when I say I don't believe in God of the Gaps I specifically mean I trust science over religious dogma

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1