Tobes

General Politics Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, pharmassists said:

Is it just me or is this bullshit?

Law is pretty clear.  Not allowed to be in possession of a firearm if you are a convicted felon.  All these types do is inspire gang culture in youth that listen to their 'music'.  Fuck them.

Maybe the tax dollars could be used for better things but that's not what your post is about.

21 minutes ago, Cypress said:

Law is pretty clear.  Not allowed to be in possession of a firearm if you are a convicted felon.  All these types do is inspire gang culture in youth that listen to their 'music'.  Fuck them.

Maybe the tax dollars could be used for better things but that's not what your post is about.

I don't disagree that the culture is bad. I have a problem with people being arrested over an image and not an action. What if the felony was non-violent? 

Even if the fucked up in the past, the thought that acting in a rap video can be a crime is shitty. It's thought crime.

32 minutes ago, pharmassists said:

I don't disagree that the culture is bad. I have a problem with people being arrested over an image and not an action. What if the felony was non-violent? 

Even if the fucked up in the past, the thought that acting in a rap video can be a crime is shitty. It's thought crime.

In the comment section, the JSO mentions that all the suspects are documented gang members.  Doesn't look like they are just randomly targeting anyone holding a gun in a picture or video.  

Just now, Cypress said:

In the comment section, the JSO mentions that all the suspects are documented gang members.  Doesn't look like they are just randomly targeting anyone holding a gun in a picture or video.  

But how you separate the culture from the intent? Rap videos have guns and people with pants that don't fit talking about doing dumb shit. It doesn't mean they still do it or intend to do it. Getting arrested over a rap video just seems silly to me, even if they are in a gang. 

However my city has the highest murder rate in Florida. If there is a reasonable decline in gun violence then I'll be on board.

48 minutes ago, pharmassists said:

But how you separate the culture from the intent? Rap videos have guns and people with pants that don't fit talking about doing dumb shit. It doesn't mean they still do it or intend to do it. Getting arrested over a rap video just seems silly to me, even if they are in a gang. 

However my city has the highest murder rate in Florida. If there is a reasonable decline in gun violence then I'll be on board.

I feel like you're trying to look into it too hard.  There's no intent to prove here.  Once you are in possession of a gun as a convicted felon, you are guilty.  These gang bangers were dumb enough to video tape it and upload to social media.  LOL

1 hour ago, pharmassists said:

Shitty rap culture about guns and money and cars n shit is the rootless lumpenproletarian brain washing of a systematically oppressed racial underclass.

Arresting them is just the icing on the police brutality cake.

21 minutes ago, Cypress said:

I feel like you're trying to look into it too hard.  There's no intent to prove here.  Once you are in possession of a gun as a convicted felon, you are guilty.  These gang bangers were dumb enough to video tape it and upload to social media.  LOL

Dt8lA_zWsAAh2ay.jpg:large

1 hour ago, Cypress said:

Probably lol. But how am I gonna watch rap videos on Facebook if they all get arrested?

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

lol is that "school vouchers" I'm implicitly hearing 

Yes, that money will follow the student right out the door as their school gets bulldozed into a parking lot. 

Is that a bad thing? Where I live it's open enrollment, you have kids from bad areas being shipped across the city to go to better schools with better after school programs. No parent wants their kid to have to go to a piece of shit school, at least this way the parents have a choice.

If kids are looked at as value then schools will be built in a way that reflects that. Of course this doesn't happen over night but I think in the long run this will yield far better results than the current system.

9 minutes ago, akaWest said:

If kids are looked at as value then schools will be built in a way that reflects that.

Do you really not see what's wrong with this sentence? 

1 hour ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Do you really not see what's wrong with this sentence? 

No I don't. You don't think a kid would receive a better education if their enrollment meant $15-20k a year to the school? How are private schools even in business then?

Edit - D.C. has the highest concentration of charter schools https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=30 it's almost as if they know something we don't. Independent schools that get paid based on enrollment is the future. There's too much wasteful spending in the current system.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The homeless are being frozen to death. There are 6 empty houses for every homeless person, fuck me America is a lovely society.

43 minutes ago, Niku said:

The homeless are being frozen to death. There are 6 empty houses for every homeless person, fuck me America is a lovely society.

Wish we could send them and our 25 million illegals to Australia. You guys won't mind, right? Since you're such a lovely society and all.

Should a homeless person be able to move into my 2nd home?  A place that I paid for, fixed up, maintain and pay taxes on?

9 hours ago, Rick said:

Should a homeless person be able to move into my 2nd home?  A place that I paid for, fixed up, maintain and pay taxes on?

In Jacksonville there are roughly 10 different homeless shelters. I'm sure most cities are like that. Most the homeless people I see not in shelters are mentally deranged or on drugs. Not a good idea to give them some bodies house.

• Like (+1) 1

First of all.

"IF kids are looked at as valuable" vs. "SINCE kids are looked at as valuable". Whether children should be getting education is not a question, unless someone is attempting to ask the stupidest question in the history of the universe. 

13 hours ago, akaWest said:

No I don't. You don't think a kid would receive a better education if their enrollment meant $15-20k a year to the school?

Secondly, lmfao 

1) And who decides how much money a child gets? You think someone in the dregs of LA is going to get the same stipend as a kid from OC? It's almost like the money situation will balance out exactly like it is now in terms of total funding - meaning that the schools most in jeopardy right now are going to fall right over the brink and millions of kids will not have access to education because they live too far away from one of the schools that are still standing. 

2) You're looking at capitalism through the rosiest glasses of all time. It doesn't necessarily mean they'll receive a better education. It absolutely means the schools will now be primarily focused on...wait for it...cost-cutting. Because way, way more than capitalism encourages progress, it encourages corner-cutting. 

13 hours ago, akaWest said:

How are private schools even in business then?

Gee, I wonder. Maybe something to do with private schools primarily being a rich kid thing to get them out of environments with the proletariat. 

26 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

First of all.

"IF kids are looked at as valuable" vs. "SINCE kids are looked at as valuable". Whether children should be getting education is not a question, unless someone is attempting to ask the stupidest question in the history of the universe. 

Secondly, lmfao 

1) And who decides how much money a child gets? You think someone in the dregs of LA is going to get the same stipend as a kid from OC? It's almost like the money situation will balance out exactly like it is now in terms of total funding - meaning that the schools most in jeopardy right now are going to fall right over the brink and millions of kids will not have access to education because they live too far away from one of the schools that are still standing. 

2) You're looking at capitalism through the rosiest glasses of all time. It doesn't necessarily mean they'll receive a better education. It absolutely means the schools will now be primarily focused on...wait for it...cost-cutting. Because way, way more than capitalism encourages progress, it encourages corner-cutting. 

Gee, I wonder. Maybe something to do with private schools primarily being a rich kid thing to get them out of environments with the proletariat. 

In the current system kids aren't looked at as valuable. They're looked at as a burden. 

1) Each kid would get the same amount of federal funding. As it stands federal funding is given to states and they choose to allocate it however they see fit.

2) They have every right to change schools. In which case funding that is attached to their name would switch schools with them. 

This isn't a perfect solution but I feel it would be better than the current system.