Jump to content
Tobes

General Politics Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Niku said:

You obviously do need the lecture given how personally attacked you feel, along with the rest of the triggered conservatives who are doing Gilette's advertising for them.

I don't feel attacked I just think it's fucking gay. It felt like I was attending one of your dance recitals. 

  • Fire (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, pharmassists said:

Do private bankers or elected government officials sit on the board of the fed?

The 7 members of the board of the fed are nominated by the President and appointed by the senate. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, pharmassists said:

I don't feel attacked I just think it's fucking gay. It felt like I was attending one of your dance recitals. 

The company doesn't care what you think of it. They are there to make money.

Share this post


Link to post

People actually care about that advertisement?

 

It's not the best out there, and I found it interesting how the only "toxic" men in that ad were white, but to get upset over it?  Odd.

 

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Niku said:

The federal reserve isn't borrowing from anyone. It issues the currency which is why it doesn't act as a credit card.

Nobody said the Federal Reserve is borrowing from anyone. Who are you even arguing with? How many milligrams are you on?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, akaWest said:

Nobody said the Federal Reserve is borrowing from anyone. Who are you even arguing with? How many milligrams are you on?

Credit cards are used for borrowing money lol

Share this post


Link to post

Dw_9MS6WkAAuJ-D.jpg:largedestroying your own plumbing to own the libs

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Niku said:

Credit cards are used for borrowing money lol

Yes, correct. Our US Treasury borrows money each time it decides to print more. But this isn't even the analogy I was using.... 

I was going for the old "best way to save money is to pay off loans accruing interest" saying.

Illegals = interest payment

Wall = principle

The interest payment is significantly smaller than the principle but if you pay off the principle then you'll no longer be paying interest on it.

Clearly it went way over your head.

Share this post


Link to post

AD: Don’t be a dickhead

Alot of dickheads getting upset throwing away/smashing razors...

Week later same dickheads realize they need to shave and forget about the AD. Buy Gillette.

 

131k RT’s and 336k likes on twitter. I’d say their marketing team is doing a fantastic job and sales will be up.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, legendaryshotz said:

AD: Don’t be a dickhead

Alot of dickheads getting upset throwing away/smashing razors...

Week later same dickheads realize they need to shave and forget about the AD. Buy Gillette.

 

131k RT’s and 336k likes on twitter. I’d say their marketing team is doing a fantastic job and sales will be up.

What's actually Orwellian about all of this is the way corporations which are the most evil institutions on this earth co opt social justice stuff. It's 1984 level dystopic

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, akaWest said:

Yes, correct. Our US Treasury borrows money each time it decides to print more. But this isn't even the analogy I was using.... 

I was going for the old "best way to save money is to pay off loans accruing interest" saying.

Illegals = interest payment

Wall = principle

The interest payment is significantly smaller than the principle but if you pay off the principle then you'll no longer be paying interest on it.

Clearly it went way over your head.

Who is the US Treasury borrowing from? They ring up the fed and tell them to punch some numbers into their account. They're not borrowing from anyone zzz.

A wall is like adding a bandaid to the flesh wound that is capitalism. Walls don't stop migration. Real economic reform in latin America is the solution.

Share this post


Link to post

Companies are starting to realize that sometimes going political gets people really talking and leads to massive exposure. If they came out with a generic ass commercial it would hit a specific demographic and that’s it. Same spend for a much higher reach.

I get it I don’t like it either, but people should also not really give a fuck about which company supports what unless they’re funding something vicious or that hurts people, otherwise who cares.

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, legendaryshotz said:

Companies are starting to realize that sometimes going political gets people really talking and leads to massive exposure. If they came out with a generic ass commercial it would hit a specific demographic and that’s it. Same spend for a much higher reach.

I get it I don’t like it either, but people should also not really give a fuck about which company supports what unless they’re funding something vicious or that hurts people, otherwise who cares.

far-cry-5-2.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=7

Going for something that touches American feelz instead of using foreigners as props in video games is great for advertising and gets people talking.

There are examples everywhere. I loved seeing the right wing meltdown when this game was released. Like yeah africans, asians islanders can be bad guys but we can't hurt radical Christian feelings LOL.

The game was hardly political btw. The only politics that was in it was research into the way cults work (such as Fox News viewers lol)

Share this post


Link to post

Doom actually satirized corporate faux social justice advertising campaigns as part of their advertising campaign. Of course right wingers saw it as making fun of PC culture or some shit but trust them to be fucking brain damaged and miss the nuance of the humour.

Share this post


Link to post

I liked the joke about demons being an offensive term

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Niku said:

The 7 members of the board of the fed are nominated by the President and appointed by the senate. 

But they are not elected. They work independently of elected officials. They put the interest of big banks first, and are responsible for the bailouts of big banks nationally and overseas during the financial crisis. The stability they provide is overshadowed by the favor they pay to big banks. Also they don't operate in full transparency.  

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Niku said:

Who is the US Treasury borrowing from? They ring up the fed and tell them to punch some numbers into their account. They're not borrowing from anyone zzz.

A wall is like adding a bandaid to the flesh wound that is capitalism. Walls don't stop migration. Real economic reform in latin America is the solution.

You're not wrong that latin American prosperity would help. We can't just throw money at them and assume their government is magically going to stop being shit. China is doing well economically but it's still a shit place to live, for instance.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Niku said:

The company doesn't care what you think of it. They are there to make money.

Obviously. When did I imply the opposite?

Share this post


Link to post

If universal basic income replaced entitlement benefits would it be a good idea? I actually think it might.

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

DACA.

Thanks for playing "I'm right wing and a massive hypocrite" this week.

 

I'm pretty sure Lindsey Graham and a few others said they would be down for that. Also, have the Democrats even offered that yet? The full $5.7 billion for a wall and daca trade is fair. But it would have to be the full $5.7 billion.

 

18 hours ago, legendaryshotz said:

“What’s another 5 billion”

oh the sweet, sweet irony if this was a government program or for education...

The US Department of Education has a budget of 68 Billion Dollars, so no, nobody cares about 5  billion. Beyond that, the federal government doesn't really need to have a role in education, national defense, however, is actually a legitimate role of the feds.

18 hours ago, Cypress said:

Its a great theory, I’ll admit.  Theory.  

No, it isn't. The idea that someone deserves the products of someone elses labor for just existing, and can take that product by force (or government force), is not a good theory. 

 

 

17 hours ago, Niku said:

Real socialism is the extension of democracy to the workplace and to every day life. Currently in America there is no freedom because it's ruled by totalitarian institutions that are corporations.

When does Starbucks take my money at gunpoint? When does Starbucks tell me what I can and can not say? When does Starbucks tell me what Religion I can practice or not? Does it enforce any of its views with guns? 

Corporations are heartless and money hungry, but they are ultimately slaves to their consumers and shareholders.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, pharmassists said:

If universal basic income replaced entitlement benefits would it be a good idea? I actually think it might.

In a way, I think it would be. It's obviously more fair and less redistributionist since everyone will get the same amount of money. 

However it could still hurt incentives to be productive. 

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, TheDood said:

No, it isn't. The idea that someone deserves the products of someone elses labor for just existing, and can take that product by force (or government force), is not a good theory. 

 

Ya... i wouldnt' look into that post too hard lol.

I fucking hate socialism.

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Cypress said:

Ya... i wouldnt' look into that post too hard lol.

I fucking hate socialism.

Yeah I know you're always half trolling but it's a point I see tons of conservatives make.

18 hours ago, Niku said:

Given your entire ideology derives from anti-education and anti-intellectualism, we can only assume which one of those two you are. 

Intelligence has a liberal bias.

Edmund Burke, Adam Smith, or more recently, William F. Buckley are all hicks.

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, TheDood said:

In a way, I think it would be. It's obviously more fair and less redistributionist since everyone will get the same amount of money. 

However it could still hurt incentives to be productive. 

I would wager that you wouldn't get any new non productive members of society. People either have drive or they don't. 36k a year isn't enough for me to live the life I want. If anything people might be motivated to work more because it's like having an extra salary.

The positives of UBI:

1. No disability or workers comp

2. No SS 

3. Decrease in crime and homelessness.

4. Stability during financial crisis.

5. We can pay for about 92% of it with the money we already spend on SS, welfare, etc.

6. Freedom to choose what you do with the money. You blow it on drugs and can't afford your morgage? Tough shit. 

UBI goes against every fiber of my belief system, but I would like to see it tried on a small scale and then judge it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, pharmassists said:

I would wager that you wouldn't get any new non productive members of society. People either have drive or they don't. 36k a year isn't enough for me to live the life I want. If anything people might be motivated to work more because it's like having an extra salary.

The positives of UBI:

1. No disability or workers comp

2. No SS 

3. Decrease in crime and homelessness.

4. Stability during financial crisis.

5. We can pay for about 92% of it with the money we already spend on SS, welfare, etc.

6. Freedom to choose what you do with the money. You blow it on drugs and can't afford your morgage? Tough shit. 

UBI goes against every fiber of my belief system, but I would like to see it tried on a small scale and then judge it.

 

I'm open to it but I guess I'm not as optimistic that people "either have drive or they don't".

This is an interesting article on the subject.

https://www.heritage.org/poverty-and-inequality/commentary/universal-basic-income-has-been-tried-it-didnt-work

Aparently, it has been tried in small areas and failed, granted that was in addition to current entitlements which probably skews the results. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.