Tobes

General Politics Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, legendaryshotz said:

This is not true. Even if there was a billion people on earth burning fossil fuels is not good. It’s a finite resource that is dirty. Regardless of how many people are on the planet solar, nuclear, so on and so fourth are the way to go.

edit: case and point during the industrial revolution in the late 1700’s world population was 700 million yet that’s when we started the co2 pump.

the guy thinks we can fit 300 million people in Australia. He's an ecological dumbass. 

40 minutes ago, gporter said:

How can anyone say trump manufactured a crisis? That’s not only ignorant, it’s horribly insensitive. 

There is no crisis. Believe me from an outsider's perspective you Americans are fucking hysterical and are willing to wisp away any kind of congressional oversight over feelings rather than facts. It will take you down an authoritarian path that you wish you did not go down.

9 hours ago, L377UC3 said:

no climate change. biggest problem every country faces.

That's not necessarily true.

12 hours ago, L377UC3 said:

ye but why

Illegals deflate wages, work without getting SS benefits, and allow corporations more cheap labor. There's a solid argument to either find a way to legalize them or deport them. 

2 hours ago, RVG E Nomini said:

That's not necessarily true.

Arguing with the left about when the world is gonna end is pointless. It's a good thing to care about the environment and at least we all agree humanity should seek to have the least impact possible. I would like to see more people talk about the ocean and plastic bottles + littering. I surf all the time and it's disgusting how much trash is in the water in a first world country.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, gporter said:

How can anyone say trump manufactured a crisis? That’s not only ignorant, it’s horribly insensitive. 

Removing the second amendment (or at least putting some fucking boundaries on it) would save more lives than building a wall.

It will never happen because the right wing won the culture war in the US 40 years ago.

@RVG E Nomini

Elucidate.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Democrats wanted a wall and voted for it in 2013. Have you heard of operation gatekeeper? It was implemented by Bill Clinton’s presidency in 1994. In my opinion this is about political positioning for 2020.

3 hours ago, gporter said:

Democrats wanted a wall and voted for it in 2013. Have you heard of operation gatekeeper? It was implemented by Bill Clinton’s presidency in 1994. In my opinion this is about political positioning for 2020.

On the other hand repubs had the HOUSE+ SENATE just a few months ago and didn't do anything about a wall. Seems like they are playing politics more than the Democrats.

1 hour ago, gporter said:

The magic were actually decent in 1994, but I have no idea why that would apply to today’s magic squad. Either way Clinton was wrong and I’m pretty sure it was more fencing than a full fledged steel/concrete structure that trump wants.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Brad Pitt said:

It is true. All the renewable energy in the world isn't going to matter if our population continues to grow. The more people, the more wildlife & rainforest destruction, mass production livestock, dwindling of natural resources, oceans being overfished, much high cost of living, lower standard of living, and many other exponential negative effects. 

Humans need to be more effiecent and strenuous as to how they use their resources. We throw away so much food that I’m pretty sure it can feed entire nations. That’s an American problem. Not an overpopulation problem. Same with plastics, same with using wood as a fuel source vs a building material. If you really cared about the specific issues you just listed you’d be cutting back and recycling every last can ASAP, not blaming world population. Because were most certainly one of the most wasteful countries on the planet and it’s not close.

2 hours ago, gporter said:

1.) Not remotely the same fucking sunk cost for a problem that doesn't require it.

2.) Didn't fucking work. Whatever effect illegal border crossings has on this economy wasn't curbed in the goddamn slightest by militarizing the border. Shit increased until the banks crashed everything in 2008, where it leveled off and has been steadily decreasing since.

So - hear me out - maybe, if our goal is to get rid of opportunistic illegals in our own country and curb their arrival, we can invest money, not in a stupid fucking wall that only solves one of those problems anyway, but in Mexico's own economy, helping to make it less of a shitty place to live so there's less impetus to leave and more impetus for state-side illegals to go home. I've never heard this considered once among the right in the conversation. Nationalist dick-stroking to build a giant authoritarian eyesore, sure - very commensurate with Trump's "we win so they lose" bullshit - but nothing about a mutually helpful solution.

You can't tell me it's stupid either. Trump tried to tell me Mexico would pay for it. This was never about problem solving. It was always about cruelty.  And you wonder where the 'racist' image problem came from.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, L377UC3 said:

1.) Not remotely the same fucking sunk cost for a problem that doesn't require it.

2.) Didn't fucking work. Whatever effect illegal border crossings has on this economy wasn't curbed in the goddamn slightest by militarizing the border. Shit increased until the banks crashed everything in 2008, where it leveled off and has been steadily decreasing since.

So - hear me out - maybe, if our goal is to get rid of opportunistic illegals in our own country and curb their arrival, we can invest money, not in a stupid fucking wall that only solves one of those problems anyway, but in Mexico's own economy, helping to make it less of a shitty place to live so there's less impetus to leave and more impetus for state-side illegals to go home. I've never heard this considered once among the right in the conversation. Nationalist dick-stroking to build a giant authoritarian eyesore, sure - very commensurate with Trump's "we win so they lose" bullshit - but nothing about a mutually helpful solution.

You can't tell me it's stupid either. Trump tried to tell me Mexico would pay for it. This was never about problem solving. It was always about cruelty.  And you wonder where the 'racist' image problem came from.

Decriminalize drugs and the cartels wouldn't have anyone to sell to, and then Mexico could sell drugs to the US legally like they did for soldiers during Vietnam. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

6 hours ago, pharmassists said:

Arguing with the left about when the world is gonna end is pointless. It's a good thing to care about the environment and at least we all agree humanity should seek to have the least impact possible. I would like to see more people talk about the ocean and plastic bottles + littering. I surf all the time and it's disgusting how much trash is in the water in a first world country.

I agree we need to care for the environment, but it's not an easy argument to make that CO2 is going to be a big problem. Ocean acidification is a much more confident argument than global avg temp but it's still not easy.

6 hours ago, L377UC3 said:

@RVG E Nomini

Elucidate.

There's no observational evidence suggesting climate sensitivity to CO2 is as high as what the climate models use. Models say 2-5 degrees C per doubling of ppm, recent temps over the last couple decades say ~1 degree C.

42 minutes ago, RVG E Nomini said:

There's no observational evidence suggesting climate sensitivity to CO2 is as high as what the climate models use. Models say 2-5 degrees C per doubling of ppm, recent temps over the last couple decades say ~1 degree C.

I'm not even remotely close to being a climate scientist, but the IPCC uses a sensitivity of 3C per doubling of ppm based on the accuracy of these models from years ago at predicting the current temperature. How bad do they look?

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-how-well-have-climate-models-projected-global-warming

1 hour ago, pharmassists said:

Decriminalize drugs and the cartels wouldn't have anyone to sell to, and then Mexico could sell drugs to the US legally like they did for soldiers during Vietnam. 

That wouldn't just help Mexico either. A whole host of oppressive Central and South American regimes would get shaken.

The cartels would still have people to sell to. They'd just run into a metric fuck ton more competition. They could legitimize and potentially be of use to the economy but they could also fail and then we'd be rid of them. Either way we win.

• Like (+1) 1

Id prob wager that ramirez is by far the most butthurt serious basement dweller in the thread.  Love it.  

• Toxic (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

14 minutes ago, Cypress said:

Id prob wager that ramirez is by far the most butthurt serious basement dweller in the thread.  Love it.  

idk. ramirez doesn't really do butthurt. mild loathing and condescension, yeah, but he doesn't really shy away from shit. if we said something really heinous to piss him off he'd probably chime in but I don't think this is his scene.

Basically what I'm saying is don't talk shit about my homeboy Ramirez. Waypoint Warriors stick the fuck together.

Just now, Cypress said:

No idea what youre talking about. 

Yeah you do.

Nah ram is fuckboi confirmed. I mean who posts in the politics thread these days anyway?

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, L377UC3 said:

Yeah you do.

No, i dont.  Wtf is a waypoint warrior n why are u defending someone online like your a homosexual couple?

I guess we might reach a point where population growth really starts to cause problems but so far the opposite has happened. People are richer, healthier, better fed, and living longer, in every part of the world as the population grows. 

Chances are we level out at 10 billion and everything is fine. In fact most developed countries are about to have population decline which will probably cause more economic and societal problems than population growth. 

(Also, I wish people would stop freaking out about nuclear power, it is  by far the easiest way to decrease carban dioxide output).