Tobes

General Politics Discussion Thread

In 2019, the federal government will spend $4.407 trillion. Yet Congress and the president are shutting down the government in a dispute between the $1.3 billion the Democrats have approved for border security and the $5.7 billion the president is demanding — the difference being precisely 0.0998 percent of the total federal budget.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Trump attempting to subvert congress with a fake national emergency is the closest thing he can ever get to realizing his pathetic authoritarian wishes.

He wishes he could be dictator.

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Trying to prevent illegals and drugs from entering country = dictatorship

you are literally a leftist communist meme lmao 😂 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

6 minutes ago, Cypress said:

yeah creating a fake crisis to subvert democracy is trying to be a dictator.

Just like the fake crisis of a 'communist takeover' in Weimar Germany prompting the enabling act.

Same bullshit different day.

If you think you can have your fucking wall emergency.

Then we can have a gun violence emergency

climate emergency

healthcare emergency

voting rights emergency

be careful with the precedent you're creating.

Justify a bogus emergency that subverts congress and the left can do the same thing with ACTUAL emergencies.

• Like (+1) 1

Frankly, I’m surprised I wasn’t labeled a Nazi.  

You’re slipping dude

• Downvote (-1) 2

Build the wall. Deport all illegal aliens. Investigate and deport those with fake SSN. End birthright citizenship. 

10 minutes ago, Brad Pitt said:

Build the wall. Deport all illegal aliens. Investigate and deport those with fake SSN. End birthright citizenship. 

ye but why

Just now, Brad Pitt said:

because of common sense and logic?

common sense says we need to solve other problems more

Just now, L377UC3 said:

It would be a non issue but democrats are scared Trump will gain momentum in 2020 if the ‘wall’ gets built.  

Its a very political issue.  Honestly, it’s hurting the dems by being stingy with the funding.  If I was them, Id let him build it and wait for it to fail.   Common power tools have already been proven to penetrate the design.   

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

5 minutes ago, Cypress said:

It would be a non issue but democrats are scared Trump will gain momentum in 2020 if the ‘wall’ gets built.  

Its a very political issue.  Honestly, it’s hurting the dems by being stingy with the funding.  If I was them, Id let him build it and wait for it to fail.   Common power tools have already been proven to penetrate the design.   

Eh. Alright, fair enough. The problem is that no matter what the fuck actually happens on the border Trump will most certainly make something up to give the impression that it's working, and an entire population is going to eat it up as fucking gospel.

I'm not going to lie, as a lefty myself, watching the Dems play politics is absolutely fucking maddening. I don't know what other options they have in this situation, though. This is their first legitimate chance to affect policy since 2016.

14 minutes ago, L377UC3 said:

Illegal immigration is the biggest problem this country faces.

• Toxic (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brad Pitt said:

Illegal immigration is the biggest problem this country faces.

no climate change. biggest problem every country faces. not either or, you could solve both if you needed to I guess.

If the problem is general loss of life, we need to do something about guns as well.

2 hours ago, Cypress said:

Probably should start where, you know, cars go through because that’s where 95% of the drugs come from. So if you genuinely cared about stopping drugs you’d start at checkpoints, not at building billions of dollars of wall in the desert.

1 hour ago, L377UC3 said:

no climate change. biggest problem every country faces. not either or, you could solve both if you needed to I guess.

If the problem is general loss of life, we need to do something about guns as well.

Well, if you want to go there, then the biggest problem is human overpopulation, because ultimately, that is the root cause of climate change and the destruction of wildlife. 

14 minutes ago, Brad Pitt said:

Well, if you want to go there, then the biggest problem is human overpopulation, because ultimately, that is the root cause of climate change and the destruction of wildlife. 

ye alright. But that will eventually level itself out if we can just not eradicate ourselves till developing nations catch up and their birthrate declines. Hence needing legislation fucking yesterday to stop us from living in a hot hellscape later in the century.

8 minutes ago, Brad Pitt said:

This is not true. Even if there was a billion people on earth burning fossil fuels is not good. It’s a finite resource that is dirty. Regardless of how many people are on the planet solar, nuclear, so on and so fourth are the way to go.

edit: case and point during the industrial revolution in the late 1700’s world population was 700 million yet that’s when we started the co2 pump.

6 minutes ago, legendaryshotz said:

This is not true. Even if there was a billion people on earth burning fossil fuels is not good. It’s a finite resource that is dirty. Regardless of how many people are on the planet solar, nuclear, so on and so fourth are the way to go.

Yeah, but some of the biggest (not only, obviously, but still dramatic) offenders in that respect are China and India - and their fossil fuel burning seems to be directly proportional to their ballooning population and insane energy needs. (Or at least I guess. I haven't actually looked at the history.)

Still, Saudi, Russia, and Exxon can go suck shit - you're absolutely right. I've never found the arguments against Nuclear very compelling when I've done any amount of research on it. The hazards aren't actually that significant in the modern era. Fukushima's ecological impact was severely overblown, for example. Also my dad's degree was in nuclear engineering so I just grew up thinking it was normal.

17 minutes ago, legendaryshotz said:

Probably should start where, you know, cars go through because that’s where 95% of the drugs come from. So if you genuinely cared about stopping drugs you’d start at checkpoints, not at building billions of dollars of wall in the desert.

Ya dont say!!!!

where in my post did i say a wall would stop it?  

You’re a ‘cyyintist’ right?

25 minutes ago, Cypress said:

Ya dont say!!!!

where in my post did i say a wall would stop it?  

You’re a ‘cyyintist’ right?

Are you just the elmur fudd of Colorado? Even talking like him now

4 hours ago, L377UC3 said:

Yeah, but some of the biggest (not only, obviously, but still dramatic) offenders in that respect are China and India - and their fossil fuel burning seems to be directly proportional to their ballooning population and insane energy needs. (Or at least I guess. I haven't actually looked at the history.)

Still, Saudi, Russia, and Exxon can go suck shit - you're absolutely right. I've never found the arguments against Nuclear very compelling when I've done any amount of research on it. The hazards aren't actually that significant in the modern era. Fukushima's ecological impact was severely overblown, for example. Also my dad's degree was in nuclear engineering so I just grew up thinking it was normal.

Nuclear is entirely feasible. The problem is that you have emotional fuckwits trying to stall it. It's the same thing with anything that's somewhat scary yet arguably inconsequential in how much harm it actually causes. Guns, drugs, you name it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

How can anyone say trump manufactured a crisis? That’s not only ignorant, it’s horribly insensitive. 

5 hours ago, legendaryshotz said:

edit: case and point during the industrial revolution in the late 1700’s world population was 700 million yet that’s when we started the co2 pump.

It is true. All the renewable energy in the world isn't going to matter if our population continues to grow. The more people, the more wildlife & rainforest destruction, mass production livestock, dwindling of natural resources, oceans being overfished, much high cost of living, lower standard of living, and many other exponential negative effects. 

6 hours ago, Cypress said:

Unless he can activate latent authoritarian tendencies beyond 'immigrints bad, many much death, many death' of democrat voters, his support is capped.