Tobes

General Politics Discussion Thread

There was that time Sam Harris debated Shapiro. I forgot how it went but if anyone would be in a position to flatten him you'd think it'd be Harris.

All of the "new atheist" icons were good in isolation but absolutely fucking godawful in debate format, as if they completely forgot every one of their own talking points. 

When Christopher Hitchens debated William Lane Craig on the topic of God, I about had a fucking aneurysm. I could've walked all over that idiot and Hitchens shit the bed harder than I think I've ever seen. 

11 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

All of the "new atheist" icons were good in isolation but absolutely fucking godawful in debate format, as if they completely forgot every one of their own talking points. 

When Christopher Hitchens debated William Lane Craig on the topic of God, I about had a fucking aneurysm. I could've walked all over that idiot and Hitchens shit the bed harder than I think I've ever seen. 

I actually think Harris was/is the best one them in that setting although, most of my digestion of Harris' content is just him solo or interviewing a guest and less of a debate. Back when I was religious he bothered me but ultimately his ideas contributed to swaying me away from it (although it mostly the slavery being a-ok in the Bible thing). 

Hitchens was overall ok i guess but he had shitty arguments for quite a few positions. Like his justification for the Iraq war. That one made me "wat."

1 hour ago, pharmassists said:

But what does that have to do with a political debate? I haven't seen him debate atheist. He even said arguing from the Bible is a logical fallacy.

Focus of a debate is to look the most right, that’s it. So why not focus on the easiest part which is his “facts don’t care about your feelings”. Also he’s talked about atheism plenty of times and has called religion “a pillar of society”, the same value as science which is complete nonsense.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also, there's something very important that you guys are missing here:

The highest round in zombies that you get genuinely is different than the highest round you'd get if you cheesed it. Like I've gotten to round 100 but it was total cheese. Highest I've gotten genuinely is like 27 or 28 alone on Der Reise. I got to 21 in Nocht Der Untoten on split screen genuinely. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

6 hours ago, legendaryshotz said:

Just like the feeling that there’s a higher power with 0 facts, go Ben Shapiro go

Have you actually heard Shapiro discuss God? He seems to have put a little more thought into it than just your "ooo there must be a magical sky dad" straw man. 

Beyond that, writing off all his other views simply because he's a Jew, seems lazy. 

1 hour ago, legendaryshotz said:

Also he’s talked about atheism plenty of times and has called religion “a pillar of society”, the same value as science which is complete nonsense.

And he wouldn't be wrong on that point. Religion, whether there is a God or not, has been and continues to be important to society and people.

Religiosity is a mostly bad thing. The concept of "God" is not necessarily a bad thing since its such a nebulous term. Truth can be your God for example. God as a concept can exist independent of religion.

Religion isn't the problem. People will always find a banner to fly their shittiest facets under, because people themselves are the problem. Religion didn't just pop up out of a vacuum, human beings are tribal nitwits whose true religion is fear. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheDood said:

Have you actually heard Shapiro discuss God? He seems to have put a little more thought into it than just your "ooo there must be a magical sky dad" straw man. 

Beyond that, writing off all his other views simply because he's a Jew, seems lazy. 

And he wouldn't be wrong on that point. Religion, whether there is a God or not, has been and continues to be important to society and people.

It's fucking fake. Time to grow up. It's not important at all, if anything has slowed progress immensely with its fake bullshit.

As for shapiro yes I've heard him discuss religion many times, you can youtube it yourself. His other stuff is hackpicked jargon which again his main goal is to have that immediate zinger that awe's the crowd but in reality with checked sources would be put back in his place. I really don't see the appeal.

Says the most important sentence ever written was in genesis LOL, who said here that shapiro said arguing from the bible is a logical fallacy YET HE DOES IT RIGHT HERE, SAYS ITS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER WRITTEN IN HUMAN HISTORY.

Hey guys, because we don't know what happened before the big bang that means someone had to start it leading to another thing leading to another therefore god! Wow shapiro is an absolute genius lets publish this fact and fuck your feelings goodnight

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Religion isn't the problem. People will always find a banner to fly their shittiest facets under, because people themselves are the problem. Religion didn't just pop up out of a vacuum, human beings are tribal nitwits whose true religion is fear. 

Do you consider nihilism a religion?

5 hours ago, legendaryshotz said:

Focus of a debate is to look the most right, that’s it. So why not focus on the easiest part which is his “facts don’t care about your feelings”. Also he’s talked about atheism plenty of times and has called religion “a pillar of society”, the same value as science which is complete nonsense.

Ben "Facts dont care about your feelings" Shapiro is a bible basher that thinks the fairy tales told in the bible are real.

He has no claim to objective reality with his head that far up his ass. He's also an Islamophobic goblin.

• Upvote (+1) 1

6 hours ago, legendaryshotz said:

Hey guys, because we don't know what happened before the big bang that means someone had to start it leading to another thing leading to another therefore god! Wow shapiro is an absolute genius lets publish this fact and fuck your feelings goodnight

There's no proof for the big bang.

3 hours ago, RVG E Nomini said:

I don't know how you prove something that happened billions of years ago, but it's a good explanation for the expansion of the universe.

Astronomy is mind blowing. When we look at the stars we are looking at the past. 

13 hours ago, legendaryshotz said:

So when we have debate topics it's so people can chase red herrings and look correct?

13 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

I actually think Harris was/is the best one them in that setting although, most of my digestion of Harris' content is just him solo or interviewing a guest and less of a debate. Back when I was religious he bothered me but ultimately his ideas contributed to swaying me away from it (although it mostly the slavery being a-ok in the Bible thing). 

Hitchens was overall ok i guess but he had shitty arguments for quite a few positions. Like his justification for the Iraq war. That one made me "wat."

The two Hitchens brothers debating Iraq was a like being in another dimension.

4 hours ago, RVG E Nomini said:

I know you’re trying to be the next Galileo and all, but you can fuck right off with this. You’re seriously starting to get worse than flat earthers. Saying there’s no proof is an absolutely mind boggling take considering there’s background radiation in space still from it, how particles behave in space, and quick maths...you just like ignoring astrophysicists and other scientists findings lol?

sam harris is the worst btw

• Salt (-1) 1

1 hour ago, legendaryshotz said:

I know you’re trying to be the next Galileo and all, but you can fuck right off with this. You’re seriously starting to get worse than flat earthers. Saying there’s no proof is an absolutely mind boggling take considering there’s background radiation in space still from it, how particles behave in space, and quick maths...you just like ignoring astrophysicists and other scientists findings lol?

I absolutely love reading your screeching ‘im a scientist gais’ posts.   Might be the highlight of the thread for me actually.  

Induction's relationship with causality ensures that there's literally no proof of anything, ever, at all. 

So, I mean. 

Wow, I ignored this thread for a few days and I missed a bunch.

Why was Niku posting old pictures of Democrats?  That was weird.

23 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Induction's relationship with causality ensures that there's literally no proof of anything, ever, at all. 

So, I mean. 

I see why Krauss doesn't want philosophy near science.

If someone could prove their beliefs could change demonstrated reality I might buy into sensationalism. But R.Kelly still can't fly so :/.

Science takes the induction and throws away the causality. It only cares about patterns, and it really only needs to.