Tobes

General Politics Discussion Thread

Schumer just fought for Israel to get 38 billion to secure their own border

Schumer to Trump: You will not get your wall, aba…:

How is this even legal. How are dual citizens allowed in our government? 

Senator Schumer says God made him a guardian of I…: https://youtu.be/Qh8rpFTVBuM

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cursed Lemon said:

The Kurds are going to get fucked by Turkey. 

Peshmerga fighter I follow on instagram:

sKU1iPe.jpg

18 hours ago, RVG E Nomini said:

Seems like common sense to me that people would resist having their guns taken.  So many loony conservatives out there just itching at the trigger for an excuse to shoot the country up because "muh tyranny".  Your conclusions are entirely plausible.

My only real stance on gun control is "I'm tired of people rehashing the same flawed rhetoric".  But beyond that I'm glad people already can't own Rocket Launchers / LMG's and I at the very least don't see any logical reason behind allowing people to own high capacity semi-auto rifles.  Not like you're going to be rushed by 30 bears at once or have to fight off a giant gang of home invaders. 

I am against Japanese nationalism as much as I am against any kind of nationalism.  That's all I'm going to say on that topic before I rip my hair out trying to explain the zillions of nuances in play here and how I feel about them. If the entire basis of your nationalism is "only X race is allowed to be a part of our culture, also our culture is superior" then yeah that can at least be construed as racist.

4 hours ago, pharmassists said:

Interesting read. I think the center should always be the target when trying to gain support for the Right/Trump. I also feel there are two ways to gain this support.

1. Be like Shapiro, have a debate and hopefully those who sit on the fence are receptive.

2. Trolling. If you can convince the left to escalate and move even further left then the center moves right on it's own.  

L---------C----R

I came across this conversation a while back and it has some interesting thoughts on the matter https://cultstate.com/2016/08/26/the-planned-destruction-of-the-alt-right/

(Use desktop mode if on mobile)

So the government is shut down because Trump is trying to make taxpayers pay for the wall that he promised he'd make Mexico pay for. 

tRuMP KeEPs HiS ProMiSEs

• Upvote (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

Seems like common sense to me that people would resist having their guns taken.  So many loony conservatives out there just itching at the trigger for an excuse to shoot the country up because "muh tyranny".  Your conclusions are entirely plausible.

My only real stance on gun control is "I'm tired of people rehashing the same flawed rhetoric".  But beyond that I'm glad people already can't own Rocket Launchers / LMG's and I at the very least don't see any logical reason behind allowing people to own high capacity semi-auto rifles.  Not like you're going to be rushed by 30 bears at once or have to fight off a giant gang of home invaders. 

I am against Japanese nationalism as much as I am against any kind of nationalism.  That's all I'm going to say on that topic before I rip my hair out trying to explain the zillions of nuances in play here and how I feel about them. If the entire basis of your nationalism is "only X race is allowed to be a part of our culture, also our culture is superior" then yeah that can at least be construed as racist.

Yeah there are a ton of people ready for shit to hit the fan. Personally I don't think it will but that opinion won't be worth anything if it does, it depends on if things like speech get encroached on as well as the obvious work being done to pull back the second amendment. Catastrophic solar storms could do it too but that's on the fringe of things to be concerned about.

I understand your stance on rhetoric, but it exists on both sides of the argument and can only be wrong on logical grounds, so talking points aren't inherently incorrect. Your stance against high-capacity magazines only makes sense if you've never had to sight-in a rifle before. It takes a lot of shots lol. Legislation would fail to police them anyways because they aren't hard to manufacture on your own. It's one of those elements that I don't think anyone can control.

Nationalism is sort of weird to be against, as long as it isn't taken too far by citizens. It's useful for giving people a collective identity for them to work and fight for. It's also not generally based on race (mostly on country of origin) but when it is, you have to pay attention to how people are going about it, ie what do the people say or think about it. As far as cultural superiority, I don't see anything inherently racist about that. I prefer western culture and find it superior to many others based on what it produces and what it has provided me vs what other cultures would give. My lens to view it through is sort of a natural selection kind of framework where many cultures have bubbled up while others have faded out, and some possess superior traits to others that get copied by other cultures. To me, it has nothing to do with race because western culture is composed of essentially every race there is.

@Cursed Lemon I believe the plan is to have mexico pay for the wall via the restructuring/replacement of NAFTA, so it's not necessarily them cutting us a check with "WALL" on the memo line. Whether or not a wall gets built, I think the optimal first move to fix immigration issues is to end the war on drugs and ensure that only verified US citizens can utilize our social safety nets. How to ensure that is a complexity beyond me, though. It's important to ask what the motivations are for people to come here without following the laws to get in. I just think that if I wanted to go to a country and make a better life for myself, it would be important not to have my opening move be to break the law by entering that country illegally. I happen to live comfortably enough to be able to make that decision patiently (and I'm in a great country already) so sure it's easy for me to sit here and say that.

2 hours ago, RVG E Nomini said:

Whether or not a wall gets built, I think the optimal first move to fix immigration issues is to end the war on drugs

You mean that thing that Trump hasn't ever mentioned once, and would be a hugely beneficial policy for every American *and* Mexican?

Heh. 

13 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

You mean that thing that Trump hasn't ever mentioned once, and would be a hugely beneficial policy for every American *and* Mexican?

Heh. 

How much support for it do you think he'd get in the senate? Lol.

3 minutes ago, RVG E Nomini said:

How much support for it do you think he'd get in the senate? Lol.

Since when has Trump cared about popular opinion? /s /not s

1 hour ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Since when has Trump cared about popular opinion? /s /not s

He wields puppet strings like that tinsel from The Santa Clause.

1 hour ago, akaWest said:

You guys think Portugal's success with decriminalization is legit or no? 

The idiots didn't conduct large-scale studies but there have been some indications of positive results, primarily harm reduction. While I'm not concerned with lowering drug use (I think drugs can be great when used responsibly), my concern is the criminal side of the issue. Forcing people into jail cells because of which organic molecules they decide to ingest in their own bodies is asinine. People lose their minds when I tell them d-methamphetamine is FDA approved (desoxyn, the hydrochloride salt form) to treat the same things as adderall (d-amphetamine in hydrochloride salt form) because they have identical effects on the body. It's hard for the general public to understand things like dose and route of administration, and how the differences in those can cause jailtime or beneficial treatment for a disorder. Fun side fact: l-methamphetamine, the less potent isomeric homie of d-methamphetamine, is in vick's vapo rub.

Decriminalization is a lot different than legalization and regulation, which is important to point out. Having a drug war has caused insane problems in external countries to the US that try to keep up with the demand and decriminalization would reduce a lot of the available cash flow as well as stymie the ridiculous incarceration rates here. However, education on drugs is the most useful although most likely to be ignored part of the puzzle. Knowing exactly what chemicals in what doses and through what routes can do what to the body for how long and how the body alters its homeostasis, are critical. I treat diet almost the same damn way, if you don't do your research and eat junk food, it has maladaptive results on your life. But, nobody can put me in jail for eating cheeseburgers every once in a while.

Finally, addiction rates for pretty much any habit-forming drug are essentially the same in the US (15-20% ish of users, and addiction being defined by physical withdrawals if restricted + inability to fulfill basic social obligations like going to work), so that helps to whittle some of stigma surrounding some drugs. Although, I'd like to see those numbers broken down into percentage based on dose and route. A dude taking desoxyn in 15-30 mg oral doses won't achieve physical dependence on meth nearly as fast as someone inhaling the average recreational dose of 250 mg pure crystal from a pipe, making it easy to imagine that addiction rate would be higher for the outlaw suckin in quarter grams on the reg with his posse.

Edit: The operating logic is that decriminalizing drugs lowers their black market value which lowers the amount of money made in the drug trade which reduces the power of drug cartels in places like mexico which reduces a portion of the impetus for illegal immigration to the US. Something like that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, legendaryshotz said:

Stock market has been taking a very big poo the past few months

Because of Trump's tarrifs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

lol 

The Dow dove 300 extra points immediately after Trump tweeted "I'm a tariff man", don't even attempt to spin this off on the Dems. 

On 12/24/2018 at 11:37 AM, pharmassists said:

Because of Trump's tarrifs.

Good, we need some tarrifs. We should be ripping everyone else off, not the other way around lol.

It's almost new year's, and I don't think it was on whole a bad year. Was a pretty good year for me personally but politically was a terrible year. Trump's still president. The Republicans and Democrats are still idiots. I wonder what ill misfortunes they'll get us into in 2019. 

• Like (+1) 1

Van Jones has realized that the left doesn't stand a chance if they continue to escalate. He's also realized that Trump is approachable and receptive to new legislation that can make a difference in the lives of Americans that are less fortunate. 

• Like (+1) 1