Tobes

General Politics Discussion Thread

There is always politics involved with science, but to dismiss the most important science in human history as 'politicized' is absurd.

America is the most climate science skeptic country on earth. It's also home to the richest people on earth. Not a coincidence. They've been warping your brains for decades.

You're completely wrong if you think politics and the politicization of climate science is why I disagree with climate change, I disagree on purely scientific grounds.

Rich people don't warp my brain, I analyze the world and form my own opinions. This conversation will not go very far if you plan to continue speaking in platitudes for your position. I'd rather get into gritty detail about the science itself because that's the most important thing. I realize it's hypocritical of me to say that after my whole climate change religion thing, but that was just for fun. Let's get to some complex socratic questioning. I'll start:

1) Yes or no, there is scientific proof that climate change is real?

2) Which climate model properly describes Earth's climate system?

3) If the scientific consensus on climate change was at 50%, how would that alter your confidence in its predictions?

You're completely wrong if you think politics and the politicization of climate science is why I disagree with climate change, I disagree on purely scientific grounds.

Rich people don't warp my brain, I analyze the world and form my own opinions. This conversation will not go very far if you plan to continue speaking in platitudes for your position. I'd rather get into gritty detail about the science itself because that's the most important thing. I realize it's hypocritical of me to say that after my whole climate change religion thing, but that was just for fun. Let's get to some complex socratic questioning. I'll start:

1) Yes or no, there is scientific proof that climate change is real?

2) Which climate model properly describes Earth's climate system?

3) If the scientific consensus on climate change was at 50%, how would that alter your confidence in its predictions?

Yeah climate change is real.

Not sure if any model can describe it. We know a lot, but not enough. I'm not an expert so idk.

50/50 is not a consensus. I wouldn't be confident. I would require to aspire to be a scientist to find out myself. 

I'm sick of arguing with American right wingers on this topic (I can safely assume you're a right winger, they are the only people brainwashed on this topic). The arctic was on fire this year. Islands are sinking. The Great Barrier Reef is dead. Hurricane cat 5s picking up speed thanks to acidic warm coastal waters My point is given the nature of climate change, no proof will ever show right wing skeptics. Literally nothing. Otherwise all the scientists would have done so already.

I'm not a scientist, there are people 10000x more qualified than me and if they haven't convinced you, then why am debating with you?

We're completely fucked. Charles Koch will get his billions, the fascists will eventually march again, genocide. The works. Bolsonaro thinks climate change is a marxist plot and wants to upend the amazon rainforest. Just send us all to death already.

You're a product of your environment (a corporate astroturfed one).

Even if you're partially convinced all it takes is the other side to post bogus science and fuck policy making. Humanity honestly deserves all this. 

Humans have only been around for a little while, so while RVG may not agree with you, he’s well within his own reason to believe what he wants. Maybe this is just cyclical, maybe the earth is just simply warming based on the cycle that it’s in. You know the earth has been here many many millions of years before we got here, and no matter what we do it’ll be here when we are gone. believe what you want to believe though I’m not saying you are right or wrong.

You only think the climate is fucked because you've been brainwashed into thinking abnormal temperatures over a few hundred year period actually mean anything. They don't.

715b336501e74fcd8fbd21489d775d95.png

Correlation-vostok-temp-vs-co2-400x225.g

Hmm, seems like there's a bit of correlation between Carbon in the atmosphere and temperatures. Oh shit where's that blue line going? Oh fuck what do you think will happen to the red line relatively soon?

You'd think someone who denies climate change would do 5 minutes of research to see how truly r*tarded they are.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Correlation-vostok-temp-vs-co2-400x225.g

Hmm, seems like there's a bit of correlation between Carbon in the atmosphere and temperatures. Oh shit where's that blue line going? Oh fuck what do you think will happen to the red line relatively soon?

You'd think someone who denies climate change would do 5 minutes of research to see how truly r*tarded they are.

It seems you have completely over looked the most important chart during your researching sessions:

oUqrst9.jpg

Coincidence?  I think not...

• Upvote (+1) 4

Science is supposed to be malleable. The certainty of doom in regards to climate change is peculiar. That doesn't make me a skeptic.

What I am an expert in is medicine and what was right even 10 years ago is way wrong now. Even diet and nutrition has changed. I wouldn't be surprised if climate models and predictions continually change, so any drastic change that would kill millions is stupid.

Also nothing the US does is going to offset the shit China and India do so :/.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It seems you have completely over looked the most important chart during your researching sessions:

oUqrst9.jpg

Coincidence? I think not...

God said he would clense the earth with fire. If the earth warms enough who knows. I mean look at California and how sinful they are.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You only think the climate is fucked because you've been brainwashed into thinking abnormal temperatures over a few hundred year period actually mean anything. They don't.

715b336501e74fcd8fbd21489d775d95.png

No, the big temperatures in themselves don't mean anything. It is the rate at which the temperature is increasing that is risking humans of extinction. When CO2 levels rapidly increase, so does temperature and is correlated with mass extinction. The point of human induced climate change is that it human activity is raising carbon and temperature levels, worse than that of the worst extinctions of earth's history.

There is nothing the earth does that creates such a large green house effect so fast. It's associated with extinction. But don't believe me you're a red MAGA hat wearing nihilist that will take everyone down with you out of petty 'shit on the libs' spite.

It's also worth noting, today we should be in a period of temperature cooling as we are in a cool gravitational cycle with the earth/sun/planets (Milankovitch cycle). This gravitational cycle occurs as this graph shows every 100,000 years. Instead we are heating because humans love releasing CO2 into the atmosphere. Not because of the natural laws of gravity.

At least you fuckers make me go out and learn this shit. I'm not a scientist, this is fucking basic. Some of the people in this thread are outright capitalist jihadists so idk why I'm even bothering.

We are meant to be heading for an ICE AGE.

Science is supposed to be malleable. The certainty of doom in regards to climate change is peculiar. That doesn't make me a skeptic.

What I am an expert in is medicine and what was right even 10 years ago is way wrong now. Even diet and nutrition has changed. I wouldn't be surprised if climate models and predictions continually change, so any drastic change that would kill millions is stupid.

Also nothing the US does is going to offset the shit China and India do so :/.

im not a skeptic

im a skeptic

lol. So you saw diets and medicines change in regards to human health that means CO2 isn't a greenhouse gas that will fuck up temps greatly in the near future. Okie dokie.

Like I kind of understand what you're saying, the human body and the earth climate are complex and there are a ton of factors that go into both fields of science. However, it's pretty clear cut that CO2 causes temperatures to rise. As if someone were lacking insulin in their body it would cause their glucose levels to most certainly rise as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Like I kind of understand what you're saying, the human body and the earth climate are complex and there are a ton of factors that go into both fields of science. However, it's pretty clear cut that CO2 causes temperatures to rise. As if someone were lacking insulin in their body it would cause their glucose levels to most certainly rise as well.

Just to be clear, I believe in climate change just like I believe in current therapy. Because that's what we know now. I also wouldn't be surprised if theories and norms change. I'm malleable.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just to be clear, I believe in climate change just like I believe in current therapy. Because that's what we know now. I also wouldn't be surprised if theories and norms change. I'm malleable.

Unless there is data you have that shits on everything else (you don't)

You have no reason to have a 'malleable' attitude toward climate science.

Unless there is data you have that shits on everything else (you don't)

You have no reason to have a 'malleable' attitude toward climate science.

You're actually dumber than GFH.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Niku, I’m sure you are a good guy, but you can’t know for sure that we are going to face extinction from climate change. The earth has faced far worse conditions, there’s an asteroid that hit earth some 66 million years ago just for example. Earth was still able to heal itself from that and life found a way for us to be here today. Don’t you think it’s possible that theories can change or at least be modified to where the effects aren’t as bad as many are projecting them to be right now. Idk I just feel like I’m being sold some real fear propaganda every time someone talks about climate change. I just think life finds a way, human life will evolve and continue until it doesn’t. The likelihood of another asteroid hitting earth is not likely either, only happens once every 100 million years or so. We humans have only existed for a couple hundred thousand years... just saying maybe we give ourselves a bit too much credit.

Niku, I’m sure you are a good guy, but you can’t know for sure that we are going to face extinction from climate change. The earth has faced far worse conditions, there’s an asteroid that hit earth some 66 million years ago just for example. Earth was still able to heal itself from that and life found a way for us to be here today. Don’t you think it’s possible that theories can change or at least be modified to where the effects aren’t as bad as many are making them right now. Idk I just feel like I’m being sold some real fear propaganda every time someone talks about climate change. I personally don’t deny it, but how can I I’m not a scientist. I just think life finds a way, human life will evolve and continue until it doesn’t. The likelihood of another asteroid hitting earth is not likely either, only happens once every 100 million years or so. We humans have only existed for a couple hundred thousand years... just saying maybe we give ourselves a bit too much credit.

The asteroid wasn't close to the damage that can be done through rapid carbon increase in the atmosphere. The earth HAS faced worse conditions, and humans are artificially creating those conditions. Yes earth can heal. Can humans?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I’m sure we can evolve to withstand conditions, sort of like we always have.

I’m sure we can evolve to withstand conditions, sort of like we always have.

The Permian extinction wiped out nearly all large complex life.

Unless you're talking about billionaires. Yeah maybe. I'm sure we can sacrifice nearly all life on earth and 99% of humanity for billionaires. Things can be worse right? Is this really your argument not to be concerned about it?

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Permian extinction wiped out nearly all large complex life.

Unless you're talking about billionaires. Yeah maybe. I'm sure we can sacrifice nearly all life on earth and 99% of humanity for billionaires. Things can be worse right? Is this really your argument not to be concerned about it?

Bro you need to get laid or something. You shouldn't be worried about doomsday shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bro you need to get laid or something. You shouldn't be worried about doomsday shit.

We're on a politics thread where conservatives evoke emotion and fake science to defend the actions of a few at the expense of all life on earth.

I didn't really bring up the topic. We can discuss something lighter if ecological and economic facts frighten you...

• Upvote (+1) 1

We're on a politics thread where conservatives evoke emotion and fake science to defend the actions of a few at the expense of all life on earth.

I didn't really bring up the topic. We can discuss something lighter if ecological and economic facts frighten you...

You think the world is gonna end and I'm the one frightened?

• Upvote (+1) 2

The unemployment rate in 2009 hit 10%? Sheesh I'm glad I was just a little kid and didn't need a job or anything back then.

Yeah, it sucked.  I was working in the lumber industry and when the economy tanked so did my company.

I went from making $21/hour as a 19 year old to making $9/hour a year later.  I even bought my house right before it happened I didn't have any equity.  Thankfully my payment was low so even making that little amount of money I could still manage to may my house payment.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You think the world is gonna end and I'm the one frightened?

I never said that. I am arguing facts. If facts are scary then so be it. And no one is responding with actual arguments.

Whatever man, I can't argue with people who deny reality. Conservatives are as dense as brick walls.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Damn rick, paying off a mortgage with 9 bucks an hour. That’s wild.

That was bushes fault by the way! Lolz

"The danger isn't that a particular class is unfit to govern, EVERY class is unfit to govern." - Lord Acton

The state, by its very nature, is coercive and violent.

To advocate that I be ruled by your political class of choice is no less violent than the actions of your 'rival' party. Both are authoritarian. I don't want to be ruled by anyone, thanks.

I own me, you own you.