Tobes

General Politics Discussion Thread

Why do we always rush to see which political party a crazy person is aligned with?

This thread ain't fun no mo

member when we all used to be friends?

lol, and now Trump wants to terminate citizenship by birthright - by executive order, no less

It won't happen despite the bootlickers he put on the SCOTUS, but it'll just drum up a new round of highly ironic white supremacist applause and further fuckify this country's political climate. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

People jumping the fence to squart out babies and have them raised at tax payer expense isn't pragmatic. The only counter argument is "feels".

Half of the children born in this country are paid by Medicaid. We don't need more of this. It makes responsible people have to pay tons of money to have children. It cost me 8k for my wife to have a child with insurance.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you think brown anchor babies are the only people who would end up suffering from a lack of birthright citizenship, you're naive. 

If you think brown anchor babies are the only people who would end up suffering from a lack of birthright citizenship, you're naive.

Pls tell me more.

• Downvote (-1) 1

We've already got massive voter suppression campaigns going on in this nation. What do you think is going to happen to poor minority (or even white) demographics with families stretching back generations in this country that now can't even have their citizenship guaranteed? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I bet Cursed Lemon loves it when a Cuban swims to America and gets their toes in the sand before the coast guard can grab them.

Regardless of the cause, interpreting congressional amendments through an EO is a very scary thing.

It would be extremely hypocritical of me to support Trump here given my stance on the 2nd amendment.

This is a congressional issue, not executive. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

He's doing more than that. He's playing right into the GOP handbook of stoking hatred of people of color in poor whites so that said poor whites will vote for policies that fuck themselves over. It's been their platform for the last X-decades. 

It's not about race. That's a leftist talking point to dodge the issue. It's extremely expensive to pay for raising children. Giving somebody all the welfare and education just for being born here regardless of the origin of the parents is stupid policy. It encourages people to sneak in and give birth.

Policy should encourage people to immigrate legally.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's not about race. That's a leftist talking point to dodge the issue. 

The lefties are scrambling in sheer panic mode.  Lemon, case in point.

They are outraged at every tiny scrap of info the MSM regurgitates into their mouths and immediately gravitate to the most extreme reasoning to justify anything, as long as it appeals to their 'moral superiority'.

It's not about race. That's a leftist talking point to dodge the issue.

84% of red states take more out of welfare than they give. 

You wanna give me a good explanation as to why the demonization of welfare programs is a Republican talking point? 

Answer: it's about race, and so is this. 

"Hi, I'm Cypress, and I'm pretending to have a nuanced opinion on this topic when really I'm just like any other right wing idiot who pretends to be a Constitutionalist but views everything through the singular lens of the 2nd Amendment!" 

You wanna give me a good explanation as to why the demonization of welfare programs is a Republican talking point?

Nice strawman. You keep taking the conversation back to "Republicans are racist".

Welfare for your own citizens is very different than welfare for somebody breaking into the country having babies. Why is it good policy to encourage people to jump the fence and have babies?

Nice strawman. You keep taking the conversation back to "Republicans are racist".

Well that would be because they are.

Welfare for your own citizens is very different than welfare for somebody breaking into the country having babies. Why is it good policy to encourage people to jump the fence and have babies?

Now who's dodging the argument? This is about the GOP's rhetoric and the idiots who fall for it. They think their biggest concern is brown people, when in reality it's getting raped by big business and going bankrupt from health issues. 

"Everyone's a nazi that disagrees with me."

"the republicans are ruining our political climate."

• Upvote (+1) 1

He's doing more than that. He's playing right into the GOP handbook of stoking hatred of people of color in poor whites so that said poor whites will vote for policies that fuck themselves over. It's been their platform for the last X-decades. 

What Republican policies screw poor white people or poor any color people over? 

Personal tax cuts?

Corporate tax cuts that simply bring us in line with the liberal paradises in Europe?

Trying to avoid the murder of  (mostly black) babies?

Allowing religious freedom to extend into business? 

Protecting their right to self-preservation? 

Defending our borders as every country since the Treaty of Westphalia has done? 

Those are the current Republican policies, but yeah I can't see a reason any sane person except a racist would support any of those.

Poor, mostly landlocked, agricultural states remain mostly poor and agricultural - News at 6.

Unironically, I would like to know who takes more welfare, the whites in West Virginia, Kentucky etc. or the poor black people who live in inner cities that have been controlled by Democrats for decades. White privilege vs. the amazing, godlike- all knowing, democrats  :kappa:  

It would be much better if those states were run by Democrats, that way they could be like California which has the highest rate of poverty after adjusted for cost of living.

"Hi, I'm Cypress, and I'm pretending to have a nuanced opinion on this topic when really I'm just like any other right wing idiot who pretends to be a Constitutionalist but views everything through the singular lens of the 2nd Amendment!" 

"Hi, my name is Cursed Lemon, I think every Republican who wants a resemblance of border security is a racist or just stupid - or both. I have never talked to an actual conservative in my life, and Vox gives me all my talking points. I'm an intellectual." 

Well that would be because they are.

Owned by facts and logic epic style. 

Teach me your ways.

They think their biggest concern is brown people, when in reality it's getting raped by big business and going bankrupt from health issues. 

Southerners eat themselves to death, you're right. I shouldn't have to pay for their bad decisions.

Everyone who is a transparent bigoted asshole is a transparent bigoted asshole. 

Cool the three racists in the modern Republican party can be called Nazis when they act like Nazis. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The first amendment is to section one, declaring that "all persons born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the States wherein they reside." I do not propose to say anything on that subject except that the question of citizenship has been so fully discussed in this body as not to need any further elucidation, in my opinion. This amendment which I have offered is simply declaratory of what I regard as the law of the land already, that every person born within the limits of the United States, and subject to their jurisdiction, is by virtue of natural law and national law a citizen of the United States. This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons. It settles the great question of citizenship and removes all doubt as to what persons are or are not citizens of the United States. This has long been a great desideratum in the jurisprudence and legislation of this country.

Citation:

United States. Congress. The Congressional Globe: Containing the Debates and Proceedings of the First Session of the Thirty-Ninth Congress. Washington D.C.. UNT Digital Library. http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc30867/. Accessed September 20, 2015.

Source: https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc30867/m1/12/

Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20181030141718/https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc30867/m1/12/

Image: https://i.imgur.com/2wRKGXR.png

• Upvote (+1) 1