Tobes

General Politics Discussion Thread

Genuine question but aside from the borderline impossible process of disarming *everyone* in the US, why do any of you want to hold onto your guns?

Is it a principle thing? Is it just because you feel the US is a dangerous place? How would you feel about living somewhere like here in Ireland without any guns?

Own of the year right here: A trans woman (who also sings in a black metal band) ousts a transphobic virginia lawmaker. The same guy who proposed the trans bathroom bill 

Genuine question but aside from the borderline impossible process of disarming *everyone* in the US, why do any of you want to hold onto your guns?

Is it a principle thing? Is it just because you feel the US is a dangerous place? How would you feel about living somewhere like here in Ireland without any guns?

Here’s a reason:

qndhOpk.jpg

qzS6fk9.jpg

XdjFFB8.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

A.) Hunting.

B.) Shooting guns is actually a ton of fun. Especially for people like a friend I have that goes to shooting matches.

C.) Protection.

A.) Hunting.

B.) Shooting guns is actually a ton of fun. Especially for people like a friend I have that goes to shooting matches.

C.) Protection.

And how would you feel about living abroad? Do you really feel like you'd miss them during everyday life?

To me it honestly seems like some people enjoy hunting, shooting etc. and so don't want their guns taken away. I truly don't believe someone like Cypress is honestly weighing up the positives and negatives of guns being legal, and is instead just sticking with his pro-gun "team" essentially

And how would you feel about living abroad? Do you really feel like you'd miss them during everyday life?

For me? Nah. But for like my friend who shoots every night and builds guns then yes he would. And for hundreds of other people they would. I'm sorry but removing all guns from America is both impossible and not needed. Putting a restriction on automatic guns or a complete ban? Yea sure. But for handguns, shotguns, rifles. Nah I'm good.

Seems like a pretty dumb reason tbh

45 lbs of fresh, chemical free meat for $0.00 in the freezer harvested in my backyard.  Super dumb.

Also, guns are like tools outside of major cities.  I use a gun just about every weekend for various reasons.  

To me it honestly seems like some people enjoy hunting, shooting etc. and so don't want their guns taken away. I truly don't believe someone like Cypress is honestly weighing up the positives and negatives of guns being legal, and is instead just sticking with his pro-gun "team" essentially

What is your end goal here? 

Firearms are a part of life in America.  Owning them is important to me for many reasons so yeah, I'm pro gun.  This country is extremely safe outside of a few inner city shit holes and the random fkn mass shootings that get plastered all over the international news.

45 lbs of fresh meat for free in the freezer harvested in my backyard.  Super dumb.

It's not dumb practice, it's just a dumb reason for the argument at hand. Many laws will inconvenience people, but they are generally in place for the greater good and safety of the people (speeding etc.). And the benefit of someone getting free meat doesn't really outweigh the constant mass shootings you have, not to me

It's not dumb practice, it's just a dumb reason for the argument at hand. Many laws will inconvenience people, but they are generally in place for the greater good and safety of the people (speeding etc.). And the benefit of someone getting free meat doesn't really outweigh the constant mass shootings you have, not to me

it's one of many reasons to own a gun.  I was being a smart ass with that post.

Also, we already have tons of gun laws in this country.  If they were properly enforced, the shooting the other day (and others like it) wouldn't have happened.

This is always a difficult conversation with people from other countries that have never had the ability to own firearms and don't understand the basic fundamental rights of citizens in the United States.  

What is your end goal here? 

To understand why people feel guns are so necessary when they are so very not necessary in countless other countries. In a very ideal world I can completely understand how they could be a normal part of life in rural areas, but it just seems like the benefits are no longer worth the trouble. A lot of people blame mental health and then a lot of other people blame guns, but I think any reasonable person can conclude that they both share part of the blame

idk though I'm anything but an expert and I'm not even from the US, it's just an interesting subject

also I knew you were messing with the deer post, I just figured you were trying to set me off or something and wasn't arsed going along with it haha

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is always a difficult conversation with people from other countries that have never had the ability to own firearms and don't understand the basic fundamental rights of citizens in the United States.  

They don't grasp the idea that their government officials could do something malicious towards their populace, it doesn't even cross their mind.

They don't grasp the idea that their government officials could do something malicious towards their populace, it doesn't even cross their mind.

The odds of someone breaking into my house are literally thousands upon thousands of times more likely than a fucking military crackdown and I don't worry about that every time I go to sleep.

If a cop acts maliciously toward you are you going to shoot them? In what scenario would you be firing back at them? That's just some irrational doomsday thinking imo

They could do something right now and your stupid ass gun wouldnt do anything at all.

Also difficult in the US because of how population densities work and how varied and different the areas people live in can be. Something that is REGULARLY forgotten in these conversations. 

People grow up in vastly different ways in just 1 state. Let alone in this country of 50 vastly different states. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

It would take about 1% of our population, armed n organized, to overthrow our government.

I remember reading a study about this. I think the number was slightly higher but still.

Do you know what im talking about? Cant seem to find it at the moment.

Also difficult in the US because of how population densities work and how varied and different the areas people live in can be. Something that is REGULARLY forgotten in these conversations.

People grow up in vastly different ways in just 1 state. Let alone in this country of 50 vastly different states.

That's just how it is in a country as big as hour with the vast amount of different cultures we have.

can you link that ar15 forums thread you started about this?

lol forgot bout that.  Just searched and couldn't find it.  Can't remember the name of the thread.

Anyways, what are you getting at?

@@Cypress I'm planning a trip through the US next year/year after (depends on cashflow) to visit a lot of great nature and see the friends I've made here when they go home. Would you recommend hunting as something to do along the way for somebody who has never experienced that kind of thing before?

Edit: inb4 General Politics, Teams, Seeds, and Hunting Discussion Thread.

@@Cypress I'm planning a trip through the US next year/year after (depends on cashflow) to visit a lot of great nature and see the friends I've made here when they go home. Would you recommend hunting as something to do along the way for somebody who has never experienced that kind of thing before?

Edit: inb4 General Politics, Teams, Seeds, and Hunting Discussion Thread.

Probably not.  I think most states require a firearms safety certificate (which you obviously don't have) to purchase a hunting license. Also, it's tough to just jump into a hunt without spending huge amounts of money on guide fees and such.    Only thing you could possibly do would be a pheasant hunt or something similar at a game farm (boring as fuck).  Besides, if you killed anything you wouldn't be able to take the meat with you.

I would, however, recommended swinging through the rocky mountains of Colorado and letting Cypress take you out for an afternoon with a bunch of guns though ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here’s a reason:

qndhOpk.jpg

qzS6fk9.jpg

XdjFFB8.jpg

Man you need to learn how to trim meat.... or hire a better butcher

Wheres the rest of the animal? 

and is that the backstrap you cooked there? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Probably not.  I think most states require a firearms safety certificate (which you obviously don't have) to purchase a hunting license. Also, it's tough to just jump into a hunt without spending huge amounts of money on guide fees and such.    Only thing you could possibly do would be a pheasant hunt or something similar at a game farm (boring as fuck).  Besides, if you killed anything you wouldn't be able to take the meat with you.

I would, however, recommended swinging through the rocky mountains of Colorado and letting Cypress take you out for an afternoon with a bunch of guns though ;)

Thanks, that all sounds fair enough. I'd rather not do it and be on the right side of the law and common sense than do it and fuck everything up entirely. 

The Rockies are actually on my list so I just might take you up on that one if I make it out there!