Tobes

General Politics Discussion Thread

I would like to see data on information torture has provided. I am against physical torture, however psychological torture should be fine. That would be a kick ass job.

I would like to see data on information torture has provided. I am against physical torture, however psychological torture should be fine. That would be a kick ass job.

Considering the source:

"Asked recently about the CIA's use of enhanced interrogation in secret prisons, George Tenet, the CIA's director until 2004, replied that the agency's widely condemned rendition programme had saved lives, disrupted plots and provided “invaluable” information in the war against terrorism. Indeed, while denying the use of full-blown torture, he said that the programme on its own was “worth more than the FBI, the CIA and the National Security Agency put together have been able to tell us.”

• Upvote (+1) 2

lol of course the guy in charge of the torture program is going to say it's good

that's the point.. there's prob. very little data to confirm if it works or not.  It's all based on word of mouth.

pretty sure everything is classified.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Torture is worthless lol. All you're doing is causing pointless pain that means nothing when victims will just tell you what you want to hear.

yee, it doesn't matter how much heavy metal you blast or how much water you fill their lungs with, the victims goal is to make you stop, the information given isn't a concern for them at that point.

So far I have no reason to believe it's anything more than /pol/ people doing their usual shit, while the media tries to make it into something.

Remember "who is this 4chan"?  Remember "they have over 9000 penises and they're raping your children"?  Media isn't exactly in the loop a lot of the time.

Watching MSNBC this morning and they were talking about how the "alt right" was trying to blur the lines between anti-jew, anti-black, anti-establishment, etc. in order to push their agenda.  I'm just sitting there thinking "the lines are blurry because it was probably you guys who invented this vague buzzword of a term in the first place".

Case in point:

When Hillary made a campaign against Pepe and the media actually made a story about it.

This image actually made it onto the news.  Memes are real.  Holy fuck what a time to be alive.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Alt right" seems like a buzzword to describe a group that already existed and had a name. Like I'm sure they're real but I don't think we needed to rename them.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The "alt" part is to distinguish them from the traditional right, which are all fucked up on free trade and evangelism. 

The "alt" part is to distinguish them from the traditional right, which are all fucked up on free trade and evangelism.

DAE GLOBALISM WIL GEET US
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You kinda contradict your first paragraph with the second in that you admit conventional fighting techniques are fruitless against an enemy using non-conventional tactics and then go on to say that you're against using non-conventional tactics to battle that same enemy. In a broader sense, I don't know how many times I've heard specific cases of our forces being hand-cuffed by Washington ROE's and not allowing our troops to successfully operate in combat... we'd have alot more success if we would simply let our men do their fkn jobs. I will add that these wars have been mainly unneccessary and I do understand that lowering our fighting standards to our enemy can be a dangerous game. It is what seperates the 'good guys' from the 'bad guys' afterall.

I do agree with you that torture is mostly wrong and obviously there's many cases of unneccessary abuse and neglect, especially at G.B. and CIA black sites as I'm sure you've read about but in extreme cases where we have in our possession important individuals with valuable information that could lead to saving innocent lives, I support it as an option.  I am not talking about hundreds and hundreds of prisoners being tortured at G.B. or black sites through the CIA programs.  

Banning torture / geneva convention rulings etc. or having politicians tell you we do not participate in the practice is bullshit. There's no way to prevent it in dark rooms in distance lands and it will always continue to happne.  There were some 54 countries that supported our rendition programe.

it's a touchy subject to say the least.

Ugh accidental neg my bad fam
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Also whats the deal with Trump pussying out on the whole prosecuting Clinton thing. Like, I was quite looking forward to that

Also whats the deal with Trump pussying out on the whole prosecuting Clinton thing. Like, I was quite looking forward to that

get used to it.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

It's not Trump's place to take action regarding clinton, that's the job of the future attorney general. If Trump actually tried to do anything like that himself you know the media would all label him a dictator trying to eliminate his political opponents.

edit: also if Trump actually did announce any plans regarding this obama would likely pardon her.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Y'all could just say you'll never be optimistic about the guy, we get it.

Edit: I could have told you before the election that he would never pursue action against the hilldawg. Plus would you rather he does that or focus on actually doing the job he was voted in for?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Y'all could just say you'll never be optimistic about the guy, we get it.

Edit: I could have told you before the election that he would never pursue action against the hilldawg. Plus would you rather he does that or focus on actually doing the job he was voted in for?

Haters are gonna hate. Meanwhile, Trump is actually taking care of important things like withdrawing the US from the TPP free trade agreement and banning lobbyists.