Hard Way

Guilty Pleasures Thread

If I were ever in charge of a game I would hire you in a heartbeat as a mp game lead. I've heard a lot of interesting ideas come from your mouth.

Thanks man. I'd love to do something like that.

Thanks man. I'd love to do something like that.

Apply to id studio, they're hiring a whole mp team and level designers for the next Doom game instead of outsourcing to certain affinity ;)

• Upvote (+1) 2

My guiltiest pleasure in all of halo was searching the reach action sack playlist and taking the hockey gametype way too seriously.  

I can relate to this.

It wasn't Action Sack, but I went for and got my HaloTracker 50 in MultiTeam. It required a pretty high win percentage and a ton of wins. I had 2 other guys I played it with all the time, and I took RocketHog Race seriously. I'm still a badass driver to this day.  We tried like hell to get Slayers and especially 3 Ball whenever we could, but its just a fact of life that you'll be playing some goofy shit from time to time in that playlist.  

Haha the worst was playing for the win in KotH, because there was no controlling the hill. You just had to be willing to die a lot to win.  I remember for some bottom mid hills, since you didn't need an AA to get there quickly, we would all pack Hologram. Say what you will about the redheaded stepchild of AA's, but Hologram is a fucking riot when you get a bunch of people to use them.

I've always wanted to get a full to8 in big team to sit in their base in CTF, cast a Hologram that is standing still, and then also have all 8 people stand perfectly still, and just wait for the enemy to come in. They see 16 motionless spartans staring at them, and then as soon as they attack anything all 8 people start moving. It'd be the best shit-your-pants moment for the enemy ever.

Apply to id studio, they're hiring a whole mp team and level designers for the next Doom game instead of outsourcing to certain affinity ;)

I hear a certain forger may end up there too.... ;)
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I really enjoy a nice golden shower on backwash.

Haha I really enjoy Backwash, period. KotH and CTF were so fun on that map.

The Sentinel Beam on Warlord was my favourite weapon in Halo to date and I want it back for every future Halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I really like Taylor Swift.

Oh you mean Halo? 

Halo 3 was fucking fun to play and watch. 

Also, hemorrhage BTB on Reach was the TITS with an almost full party while downing brews. CTF on that shit was SOOOOO FUN!

Forgot to mention, I vote for H3 BTB.

Sorry.

Halo 3 does have the best btb by a mile. But yeah diversity I get it

Personally for me it goes Halo 1 > Halo 3 > Halo Reach > Halo 4 > Halo 2 > Halo 5 for the BTB playlists. Halo 3 had shitty BR but the maps were actually really good I think, and at most ranges you could slap the AR chargers with the BR. Sniper was also rewarding and not bullshit OP like Halo Reach onwards. Halo Reach and 4 had weapons that actually shot in the direction you were firing which was nice.

Halo 5's BTB has the strangest hitreg on vehicle occupants, awful maps and is just boring now. Halo 1 is my favourite because if you've ever played a BTB LAN you will understand.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Personally for me it goes Halo 1 > Halo 3 > Halo Reach > Halo 4 > Halo 2 > Halo 5 for the BTB playlists. Halo 3 had shitty BR but the maps were actually really good I think, and at most ranges you could slap the AR chargers with the BR. Sniper was also rewarding and not bullshit OP like Halo Reach onwards. Halo Reach and 4 had weapons that actually shot in the direction you were firing which was nice.

Halo 5's BTB has the strangest hitreg on vehicle occupants, awful maps and is just boring now. Halo 1 is my favourite because if you've ever played a BTB LAN you will understand.

H5's BTB is just annoying to me. I'm not sure why, but Reach BTB with all of it's forge map goodness kept me more entertained then H5 BTB.

Oh, I know. Armor locking ghosts  :kappa: 

I also REALLY loved Hemorrhage and Spire.

H5's BTB is just annoying to me. I'm not sure why, but Reach BTB with all of it's forge map goodness kept me more entertained then H5 BTB.

Oh, I know. Armor locking ghosts  :kappa:

I also REALLY loved Hemorrhage and Spire.

Spire was amazing. I think I liked Halo 3 BTB because almost all the maps had areas where you could hide/avoid ghosts and banshees. Later Halo's lacked those.

i liked going in to multi-team to get stylish ninjas, or getting easy nade multi-kills in multi-team koth.

randomly choosing a guy before game and devoting all your energy in shutting him out of the game and demoralizing him

barrelling into the other team at the start of the game just to get first strike

trolling teammates with the laser pre-fire beam

voting for vertical maps in reach (like spire or swordbase) to get falling assassinations

debris kills

scaring players by jumping out from semi-concealed places

throwing blind cross-map nades and getting kills

signing in to two controllers and getting high sprees as both the warthog driver and gunner

searching full 8s in BTB and not get a death to the other team

finding unorthodox ways to spawntrap people

winning the game with the least map and weapon control possible (without camping)

I enjoy posting about my displeasure of Halo 4 & 5 more than actually playing.

I thought this was guilty pleasures? :p

Mine:

I will go out of my way to get an assassination or melee kill in general. In h3 I would always get the "superman" lunges.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now that BC is fixed I would play Reach Multiteam all day erry day If I had others to play it with.

I also never go for the ball in grifball

In Halo 3 I would go into forge on Sandbox and delete everything off the map, then go into the skybox and try to hit golf balls with a gravity hammer into the hole that leads to the crypt.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In Halo 3 I would go into forge on Sandbox and delete everything off the map, then go into the skybox and try to hit golf balls with a gravity hammer into the hole that leads to the crypt.

Did you ever land it?

I don't mind the Halo 3 BR spread and I haven't noticed the randomness in close/mid range fights nearly as much as people complain about it. I like the way it limits the effectiveness of the BR at range.

However, Halo 3 would have been better without it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't mind the Halo 3 BR spread and I haven't noticed the randomness in close/mid range fights nearly as much as people complain about it. I like the way it limits the effectiveness of the BR at range.

However, Halo 3 would have been better without it.

It really didn't show itself that often until you got past mid range, especially in MLG settings. The real slot machine was whether or not your bullets would register.

Random spread was a poor design decision. If they wanted to limit the BR's range, they should have done it in a way that can be controlled. Straight vertical recoil in a perfect "I" shape would have been fine. They could have also used perfect accuracy, but have the burst itself come out a little slower, so that at longer ranges there would be more space between bullets if shooting at a moving target, making leading much more difficult but still perfectly fair.  

It's just dumb that it routinely takes 8 or more shots to kill someone that is standing still if you're too far away. Thats a bad utility weapon that unnecessarily gimps you as an individual, and also severely limits possible map designs. And I don't see the problem with a BR that has good range. It would only be stepping on the sniper rifle's toes, and certainly not enough to make the sniper unviable and not sought after.  And even if it did, a slight rate of fire buff would fix it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

On top of being out of the ordinary for having played more H4 than 99% of the community, myself and the group of guys I rolled with in 4 and these days took ricochet very seriously.  I keep quite a few of these documents going at any one time, but this guy had a decent amount of work in him:

Hr6KF5P.png

We had general strats, strats specific to maps, strats specific to score situations (0-0 is very different than 150-150, or better yet 150-190, when a throw will win it), strats specific to other team's offenses and defenses.  Did you play hundreds of games of Ricochet in H4?  Then you probably didn't play the same teams of 4 over and over, with small adjustments to their play.  Ever played Haven Ricochet against an entire team that jetpacks, and are actually smart players?  Holy shit was that an eye opener. 

I'm old as fuck relatively, and I've done it all from local CE tournies in the early 2000's, high school h2 LANs, college H3 tournies, and to this day I play a lot of H5.  I love oddball, I love flag, hell I even like assault, but no other objective playlist/gamestyle has grabbed me in Halo like ricochet did, I miss it so much.

I even liked it in H2A, it just requires such a different kind of setup and play style than the other objective games.

EDIT:  It's funny to reread this document now, as so much of it is general TO4/5 gameplay strat, but prior to this I had only ever taken CE dubs super seriously competitively.  H4 laid the groundwork for me in terms of higher level strat and communication in a way I didn't appreciate, as prior I had gotten by purely on playing on teams with heavy slaying ability.

• Upvote (+1) 2

On top of being out of the ordinary for having played more H4 than 99% of the community, myself and the group of guys I rolled with in 4 and these days took ricochet very seriously.  I keep quite a few of these documents going at any one time, but this guy had a decent amount of work in him:

Hr6KF5P.png

We had general strats, strats specific to maps, strats specific to score situations (0-0 is very different than 150-150, or better yet 150-190, when a throw will win it), strats specific to other team's offenses and defenses.  Did you play hundreds of games of Ricochet in H4?  Then you probably didn't play the same teams of 4 over and over, with small adjustments to their play.  Ever played Haven Ricochet against an entire team that jetpacks, and are actually smart players?  Holy shit was that an eye opener. 

I'm old as fuck relatively, and I've done it all from local CE tournies in the early 2000's, high school h2 LANs, college H3 tournies, and to this day I play a lot of H5.  I love oddball, I love flag, hell I even like assault, but no other objective playlist/gamestyle has grabbed me in Halo like ricochet did, I miss it so much.

I even liked it in H2A, it just requires such a different kind of setup and play style than the other objective games.

EDIT:  It's funny to reread this document now, as so much of it is general TO4/5 gameplay strat, but prior to this I had only ever taken CE dubs super seriously competitively.  H4 laid the groundwork for me in terms of higher level strat and communication in a way I didn't appreciate, as prior I had gotten by purely on playing on teams with heavy slaying ability.

I enjoyed this post so much. Very cool to see a CE guy have a lot of fun with H4, as there was fun to be had in that game.  Ricochet was a riot, too. I miss it a lot. It didn't get even close to the love it deserved in competitive play.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the gametype.  I always wanted longer respawn times when I played it. I also wanted the goal to be raised up off the ground so the ball couldn't roll in for points, and flat, like a pancake on its side. That way throwing it in required a bit more skill and effort.  Im curious to see your perspective as someone that main'd that playlist and played with a team.

Can you elaborate on playing against that jetpack team, and how that changed the game for you guys?  I'm sorry, but high level Ricochet is something I've been interested in for Halo since I played Bombing Run all the way back in Unreal Championship.

• Upvote (+1) 1

... Ricochet was a riot, too. I miss it a lot. It didn't get even close to the love it deserved in competitive play.

This is the worst part about it, as H2A's competitive Ricochet was as joke.  Didn't they only play on Warlord?  Being able to hit an easy shot from anywhere in the map is lame, good ricochet maps promote passing.  H2A shrine played a lot like dispatch, you want someone ring 3, they're like a mid point anchor.  Get the enemy team on the right spawn rotation, and someone on your team creeping into their base, you can make a pass to top mid, and have them pass to goal within a few seconds.

I tend to not care for longer respawn times in Halo across the board.  H5, especially strongholds combined with it's wacky spawns sometimes gives this feeling of respawn times that are too quick, but ricochet for me felt more like rugby or hockey, so a death was almost like a quick penalty, you're man down for a second or two, so the game falls back onto pure gun skill for a moment, but only until your guy moves back into position.  I suppose longer respawns wouldn't hurt, but I like the chaos of quick respawns :).

It sounds like the goal your describing is a Harry Potter quidditch goal lol.  I liked the existing goal.  Haven really was a key ricochet map, it did so much so well, and this ties into the jetpack players.  You couldn't jetpack while you had the ball, however what you could do is grab the ball while jetpacking, and you'd still carry a bit of forward momentum.  One of the first big ah-has we had in ricochet was the concept of the bank shot.  Blue and Red ramp on Haven have a few interesting ceiling pieces above them that make bank shots from multiple areas of the map possible, like hitting the backboard in basketball.  However, having at least one player jetpacking took that further.  If you're bottom gap, beneath blue or red bridge on Haven, you can throw the ball straight up at the right place, bank shot, jetpack up, and be jetpacking above the goal as the ball connects with you and you both land in the bridge.  You know what's generally pretty dumb in a normal H4 slayer on Haven?  Jetpacking from top mid corners, towards open ramp, and going towards the wings.  However, in ricochet you could make that jetpack, and even if it meant falling to your death, catch a ball thrown from top mid, and make the assist into the goal.  We used my jetpacking as a target.  My goal was just to set my trajectory to make it into the goal from high up, someone else on my team just had to hit me.  So, as you can imagine, multiple people jetpacking into your goal from the flanks really made for difficult play.

More generally, and this gets into ricochet as a Halo 5 gametype, I don't think the goal had to be harder to hit.  The fun came not only from hitting crazy shots, but from forcing teams to not be properly playing defense, or getting past that defense.  We wrestled a lot with what the best "formations" where in ricochet.  Do you keep someone on defense, do you go full offense.  Obviously it became much more organic than those rigid rules, and it imitates traditional flag play more than I realized at the time, but it's such a faster game.  It adds more verticality to maps, in the sense of how in tune your game sense has to be.  Flag is fairly two dimensional, and there aren't too many ways to sneak a flag around that someone isn't going to expect.  Managing enemy position, spawns, on top of the fact that they could throw the ball across basically any grenade-arc line of sight really opens maps up.

That said, you know what another huge eye opener was for us?  Adrift, another one of H4's quality contributions to Halo (serious), had these wide cat walks from attic that led to flag, or to the ricochet goal underneath their cat walks.  We played a team that rugby scrum style ran 3 wide straight from attic, with ball guy out front.  As ball guy died, whoever picked up ball was now front man, and the remaining two behind him.  This continued as our team attempted to take them down.  A good grenade could take them down, sure.  But it's not a simple task to put the grenade perfectly on that cat, and honestly consisting hitting one guy as he's in a pack of 3 or 4 can be tough, I'm sure you've experienced reticle magnetism/auto aim pulling your shots towards the wrong person.  Now instead of two people causing that its 4, and they don't care if you kill them, they just need one guy to live long enough to walk that ball in, or worst case get a toss in for 20 points.

Riochet really promoted unique Halo play in a way that I haven't felt since CE.  I've played my fair share of sweaty H2-H5, but it very often starts to feel robotic, like I'm playing the same scenario over and over.  CE remains special to me to this day because everytime I play doubles on Chilly/Pris/Dammy, the overall flow of the Camo/Ovie/Rocket spawns dictates how that match plays at a high level, but I find myself discovering new nades to throw, new timings for pinches, etc., where as in all the rest it's basically "setup the team shot from these three standard positions and aim for the head".  H4 Ricochet had a bit of that old CE per-match-uniqueness spark.

I could go on for hours, but I'll leave this comment with this.  I never got into grifball, it always seemed to strip away too much of what was Halo for me to really get my attention.  Ricochet in a broad sense plays similar to grifball, but it keeps in everything else that's good about Halo.

EDIT:  Also, here's proof I've been at this fight for a while now:  https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveHalo/comments/1u1599/competitive_ricochet/

EDIT EDIT:  More proof, I really did care about ricochet:  http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/2782-official-ricochet-thread/page-3?do=findComment&comment=70079

• Upvote (+1) 1