Niku

25m radar pick/powerup? Any thoughts on this idea?

What do you think of the competitive merit of a no radar gametype that features a physical radar pick up on the map you can use similar to armour abilities like the Jetpack in Reach and the Thruster for H4.

Could produce some very interesting dynamics.

Let me know what you guys think. It's not a feature in any Halo but I'd like to know what you guys think of this idea.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

care to elaborate instead of shit posting?

What do you want me to elaborate on?

Re-read your OP and tell me I'm the one shit posting. That was the dumbest thing I've ever read.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 10

What do you want me to elaborate on?

Re-read your OP and tell me I'm the one shit posting. That was the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Dude it's posts like these that causes the halo fan base/community to shrink day by day. Regardless of the content, the question or the post why give him shit if it's a genuine question?

Instead of making him feel like an idiot for asking a question to potentially help better the game we all love, maybe provide something constructive so we can keep as many of us around as possible.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Back when we started using custom powerups in Halo 3, I thought about this too. I don't think it's a bad idea, especially on a really vertical map like Construct or Countdown. I think it's an advantage worth fighting over, and it's not like it's so OP that it dwarfs having 3x shields or being invisible. A powerup that boosts awareness/communication with your team is something different and I think it has merit. OP doesn't deserve the hate.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't like the idea of powers and abilities at all. Whether they are spawned with or picked up. I just don't like it in Halo. I especially don't like this one because it would be hard to counter it in game as someone would just have a power that you can't see.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't like the idea of powers and abilities at all. Whether they are spawned with or picked up. I just don't like it in Halo. I especially don't like this one because it would be hard to counter it in game as someone would just have a power that you can't see.

What? That's like one of the most basic tenants of Arena FPS design.... Powerups are a secondary form of promoting map movement in Halo. You could easily design some sort of visual cue that someone has an awareness powerup, like a pinging sound when you're near or other ideas. Just dismissing something because of personal bias is the last thing you should do when it comes to adding competitive aspects to a game.

• Upvote (+1) 4

What do you think of the competitive merit of a no radar gametype that features a physical radar pick up on the map you can use similar to armour abilities like the Jetpack in Reach and the Thruster for H4.

Could produce some very interesting dynamics.

Let me know what you guys think. It's not a feature in any Halo but I'd like to know what you guys think of this idea.

I appreciate your out of the box approach but I'm not too sure how well radar would work as a power item. I don't think a radar pseudo power-up would generate as much player movement as other power items such as rockets, OS, sniper, and camo.

Personally I rather fix the underlying issues that are plaguing the game than try to shoehorn radar into the game to try to alleviate the fundamental issues of the game. IMO we should prioritize addressing the root issues with the game before advocating for 343 to implement new features into the game.

What? Do you also not like the general idea of having power weapons and power-ups in Halo? Power items are important to Halo because they incentivize player movement, help prevent player stagnation, helps players break map setups, and helps make the flow of combat more predictable. It seems to me that you really like maps such as Midship, Amplified, and Onslaught because they have virtually no power weapons and no power-ups on them.

I think this type of power up would end up just being a bait more than anything. Even with os or camo you still have to actually do something to make use of it.

A radar power up just gives you info. You dont actually have to do anything to make use of it. It devalues comms and heads-up awareness which i am against.

As an aside, lets not bash oeople who are trying to come up with creative solutions to controversial issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its an interesting idea, but its not really something I think would fundamentally help with movement in any Halo game.

Agreed. Invisible OS in CE made the game unplayable. This is also why I'm a big fan of the flagnum. Before, I didn't know if a guy had rockets or not, but now that uncertainty is gone. Oh, and that's also why I'm a big fan of Midship; none of that guessing and predicting power weapon spawns/locations and complex map flow shit, just you and a BR for your Quadshot montage.

As for not knowing if they have it, there's no reason we couldn't make the dude glow green or something. Again I think this would only be fun or useful on a vertical, tiered map.

Its an interesting idea, but its not really something I think would fundamentally help with movement in any Halo game.

Agreed. Invisible OS in CE made the game unplayable. This is also why I'm a big fan of the flagnum. Before, I didn't know if a guy had rockets or not, but now that uncertainty is gone. Oh, and that's also why I'm a big fan of Midship; none of that guessing and predicting power weapon spawns/locations and complex map flow shit, just you and a BR for your Quadshot montage.

First off I don't get how this relates to you liking the flagnum lol. What do power weapons have to do with that? Secondly, are you saying you don't like power weapons or power ups at all? You do understand their necessity in Halo right?

I think it would create great incentive in a game like Halo 5 where map flow seems chaotic and random.

In a classic Halo game though, not so much. The maps and spawns are structured in a way that allows the player to already have a general idea of where his enemies are. On-map radar wouldn't be worth the hassle.

First off I don't get how this relates to you liking the flagnum lol. What do power weapons have to do with that? Secondly, are you saying you don't like power weapons or power ups at all? You do understand their necessity in Halo right?

Noooo he wasn't serious bud!

First off I don't get how this relates to you liking the flagnum lol. What do power weapons have to do with that?

His complaints about powerups seemed to stem from a dislike of chaos and unpredictability, and we have a common appreciation of the "readability" of certain game mechanics. Its not possible to know what power weapons someone has with the flag in older games, so the flagnum was a perfect solution. It still amazes me that everyone says Halo 1 was such a perfect game when the lack of an OS shader clearly breaks the game. Why should it be my responsibility to know when someone has changed a map element?  The game should just tell me so that there's less randomness. Power weapons just add more options and strategies which is randomness which is bad.

Secondly, are you saying you don't like power weapons or power ups at all? You do understand their necessity in Halo right?

A necessity? Maybe in inferior Halo games. Most of Halo 2's competitive maps are so well designed they could work with no power weapons at all, and Halo 2's method of spawning the power weapons that did matter was an excellent system that was only rivaled by launch Halo 4's ordinance system.

And as Hard Way noted, I'm not being serious. I would have put /s, but I thought my comment about CE's overshield would be enough. ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

His complaints about powerups seemed to stem from a dislike of chaos and unpredictability, and we have a common appreciation of the "readability" of certain game mechanics. Its not possible to know what power weapons someone has with the flag in older games, so the flagnum was a perfect solution. It still amazes me that everyone says Halo 1 was such a perfect game when the lack of an OS shader clearly breaks the game. Why should it be my responsibility to know when someone has changed a map element? The game should just tell me so that there's less randomness. Power weapons just add more options and strategies which is randomness which is bad.

A necessity? Maybe in inferior Halo games. Most of Halo 2's competitive maps are so well designed they could work with no power weapons at all, and Halo 2's method of spawning the power weapons that did matter was an excellent system that was only rivaled by launch Halo 4's ordinance system.

And as Hard Way noted, I'm not being serious. I would have put /s, but I thought my comment about CE's overshield would be enough. ;)

The CE overshield thing is actually a big complaint people have lol. One of the most common complaints I've heard actually. Don't scare me like that. It's hard for me to keep track of the people that are trolling and the legitimate dumbasses. It's gotten rough around here recently man.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

It's an interesting idea, but there are a few things we need to consider:

1. There needs to be a clear visual indication so players can tell you have it at a glance.

2. It should be approached like any other power up and have a time limit, and should increase its strength and range to appropriate levels. It would make it more valuable for promoting map movement, and having a time limit would make players use it to seek out players ASAP to get the full benefit.

1. There needs to be a clear visual indication so players can tell you have it at a glance.

2. It should be approached like any other power up and have a time limit, and should increase its strength and range to appropriate levels. It would make it more valuable for promoting map movement, and having a time limit would make players use it to seek out players ASAP to get the full benefit.

1. Players have White luminescence, akin to OS.

2. Range starts from 35 meters and for 60 seconds gradually decreases to 10m at which point it disappears. Enemies always show up on radar with the exception of crouching (it needs to be powerful enough to be worth picking up, but also offer reasonable counter-play).

Half the time I think Halo players would got absolutely crazy if grenades were never in the series and go introduced for Halo 5. I could see the arguments now. "No skill to throw grenades" "ruins map control" "punishes map control" etc.

It's not a bad idea, but I think way more creative power ups and/or items could be introduced.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think either of those downsides need to exist for something that gives such a miniscule benefit relative to other pickups.

It's really not that bad of an idea though we need to be aware that a player has the radar pickup. That was the largest problem with equipment in Halo 3. Players with any powerups need to have a visual for opponents so they have a chance to counter.

As for not knowing if they have it, there's no reason we couldn't make the dude glow green or something. Again I think this would only be fun or useful on a vertical, tiered map.

Ya, but a radar lets you see through walls and floors. Having the guy glow green wouldn't really help.

You'd have to give it a promethean vision like ping and at that point, it's just pointless.

• Upvote (+1) 1