Sign in to follow this  
helenedwards

Can someone explain the Fallout 4 faction quests ?

I want to know if doing a quest for a faction means that i've joined them already. Like if i do the first BOS mission do i loose the minutemen or something. Also if i do the "molecular level" or "institutionalized" or whatever the quest that makes you side with someone is (what is it?) do all the railroad and institute quests go to waste (i didnt even meet them yet). And also what is "follow the freedom trail" for ? Is it about finding the railroad and do you have to do it for "the molecular level " ?

https://freeringtonesdownload.info/ringtone/new-iphone-6-remix-463.html

@@helenedwards

The Minutemen don't care who you side with, will always work with you, and have no impact on your standing with the other factions.  So don't worry about them.

The other three factions won't immediately abandon you if you work with their rivals, but they all have their own specific point of no return.  And once you pass that point they will turn permanently hostile and all of their quests will go to waste. So make sure to do whatever quests you want to before passing those points. Molecular Level and Institutionalized are two of those points, but I don't remember the specifics.

This is what I could find on that (possibly mild spoilers, but the reason I'm spoiler tagging it is just to save page space):

The Molecular Level quest both is and isn't a point of no return, fundamentally it requires you to make a choice - what you do need to consider is that speaking to a faction will provide you the infiltration quest for the Institute but also make the equivalent quest for the other factions unavailable. It is possible to reconnect with the factions you didn't choose after completing Institutionalized though. The actual point of no return varies by faction alignment.

The game is seemingly inconsistent in warning you when you're about to make permanent changes to your faction reputations.

In the case of the Institute quest line, speaking to Allie to start the Mass Fusion quest will pop up a nice warning stating you're about to become permanently hostile to the Brotherhood of Steel. There isn't a subsequent warning when you do the same to the Railroad, you'll just get lots of failed quest spam if you've got quests outstanding but in fairness, the mission is specifically to kill the Railroad so...

For the Railroad, I believe the switch occurs silently at the start of the quest Precipice of War. I definitely didn't receive a message and the conversation to start Precipice of War seemed to flow continually from the conversation that ended Operation Ticonderoga - the Brotherhood of Steel just stormed in and then I got lots of quest failure spam.

For the Brotherhood of Steel, the mission that makes you hostile with the Railroad is Tactical Thinking.

Road to Freedom ("follow the freedom trail") is just the quest that leads you to the Railroad.  Once you talk to the railroad members it should complete itself.  Beyond that it's meaningless.