Sign in to follow this  
CyReN

Nintendo Switch Discussion

Then I noticed when they talked about online...they kept saying your smart device...which leads me to believe...you'll need a separate device from the Switch to do the online functionality like inviting friends, sending messages, etc?

I'm sure our phones will do this, but it's weird to see them say a smart device outside of the Switch will do majority of the online functionality.

Yeah, you need a smartphone or tablet to use voice chat. That decision is so horribly out of touch with what gamers want (the kind of gamers that play online) and what currently exists, it's hard to wrap my head around it.

I have one pre-ordered and Zelda BotW Special Edition (missed out on the Master).

I don't have high hopes for the system though. Its an amazing concept for sure, playing on the go with console like games. However the Vita fell almost instantly because of no interest. Nintendo fares a bit better seeing that this is their main console and it will have first party support for a lot longer than the Vita.

Accessories are far too expensive, the dock is just a cable management system and its a whopping $90 bucks. Its first year of gaming is extremely sparse. Zelda, Mario, some re-releases/ports. Does anything else really look that tantalizing? I mean the Xbox One and PS4 didn't have any system selling games on launch (that I can remember), but the Switch is far behind with a lot to catch up. I just don't see it happening.

They're charging for a paid online service that won't even have voice chat? Holy shit they're incompentency knows no bounds. And what's with this bullshit comment from Reggie?

"instead of having some sort of bulky gamer headset, you’ll be able to do it right off your smartphone, put in your earbuds that you use for your standard mobile device. We think that’s a pretty sweet solution. That’s part of the overall opportunity that we see in a subscription service."

A "bulky gamer headset" has nothing to do with whether or not you're using a smartphone or your console as an input source. You're free to choose whichever headset you want in either case! They're just trying to marketspeak their way out of not having one of the most basic features for any online service in 2017. And let me remind everyone that they're charging their fans for this.

I feel bad for everyone who has already preorderd and I advise them to cancel it because you can bet that Nintendo is going to have to rush for another console release just like the WiiU if this thing can't even do voice chat.

They're charging for a paid online service that won't even have voice chat? Holy shit they're incompentency knows no bounds. And what's with this bullshit comment from Reggie?

"instead of having some sort of bulky gamer headset, you’ll be able to do it right off your smartphone, put in your earbuds that you use for your standard mobile device. We think that’s a pretty sweet solution. That’s part of the overall opportunity that we see in a subscription service."

A "bulky gamer headset" has nothing to do with whether or not you're using a smartphone or your console as an input source. You're free to choose whichever headset you want in either case! They're just trying to marketspeak their way out of not having one of the most basic features for any online service in 2017. And let me remind everyone that they're charging their fans for this.

I feel bad for everyone who has already preorderd and I advise them to cancel it because you can bet that Nintendo is going to have to rush for another console release just like the WiiU if this thing can't even do voice chat.

their reasons for using a separate smart device makes zero sense. no gamer today is going to sit on their phone using skype or what not to simply voice chat with their gamer friends while playing a game.

Ever since the wii... Nintendo has gone so far away from classic console gaming that they have truly abandoned their core customers.

Sadly... i dont think people realize what they're getting with the switch... unless you dont game online, then i could see where it's worth it.

Im hoping they change their messaging like xbox did with the always online crap.

I hope some of the Switch exclusives are also releasing for Wii U, specifically Breath of the Wild. 

edit: nvm, I just found Wii U version on Amazon.  Really seems like no incentive to upgrade at this point.  Especially since I have so many old emulator games on the Wii U.  

Does anyone know if past purchases of emulator games like Super Metroid would be available no charge on the Switch?

https://twitter.com/9_volt88/status/820380133978685443/photo/1

I hope some of the Switch exclusives are also releasing for Wii U, specifically Breath of the Wild.

edit: nvm, I just found Wii U version on Amazon. Really seems like no incentive to upgrade at this point. Especially since I have so many old emulator games on the Wii U.

Does anyone know if past purchases of emulator games like Super Metroid would be available no charge on the Switch?

This is Nintendo. You can expert upgrade fee from them

I agree with jim sterling's take on Switch

I like the comment in the comment section calling it out for what it is.  A glorified tablet with a docking station. Pretty sad.  

I agree with what you guys are saying about the voice chat. It should be there no matter what but I just wanted to make the point that I more often than not use Discord on my phone with a pair of headphones to talk to people while playing on Xbox. Voice sounds a lot clearer and theres less latency using it. I couldn't imagine that being my only option though.

I agree with what you guys are saying about the voice chat. It should be there no matter what but I just wanted to make the point that I more often than not use Discord on my phone with a pair of headphones to talk to people while playing on Xbox. Voice sounds a lot clearer and theres less latency using it. I couldn't imagine that being my only option though.

makes more sense for pc gaming to use discord. you're not at the mercy of using a battery powered device.... or even a separate device for that matter.

I older preordered 5 just because they will be sold out every where for months. 

Will turn around and sell them until I have to eventually play Mario. 

I mean I don't disagree with anything you are saying here, but do people really buy Nintendo products to play online? I mean as far as I remember you can only do voice chat in Mario Kart inside of the lobby and thats it, once the game starts you can't hear/say anything.

The subscription service will probably fail pretty early on and they will either have to reevaluate the situation or Nintendo being Nintendo will just ignore it. Either way I'm buying this to play games on the go, not really to play with people online. I play Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, MK8, among other things just walking around the house (well as far as it will let me go) and being able to do that, but on the go is a very tantalizing prospect.