Teapot

Esports Arena: Halo CE, Shadowrun, TF2 Tournament 1/21-1/22

Ah alrighty. It's probably because I haven't played on it much. The H1 community in Corpus is very small and xLink Kai games are hard to come by.

Its all good man; cant fault you for having a different opinion :P

Assuming some of these maps are well suited for competitive play.... ecouraging an evolving meta is a good thing for a competitive game, a 'knowledge arms race' is a good way to look at it. And so the 'but I have more fun on maps I know' argument would work if we weren't a competitive community. But we are. And it's one of the basic axioms of a place like this that the level of fun is directly related to the level of competitiveness. Wanting to limit competitiveness for the sake of 'fun' is what Halo developers have been doing for years and what the casual community thinks they want. It's not what we want. Sure it pushes folk outside their comfort zone and when you're playing for real money 'winning' normally takes precedent over pure competitiveness (see h5 pros), but I'd of thought the H1 community, out of all of us, would be most willing to push themselves out of their comfort zones for the sake of an evolving meta and thus a more competitive experience. 

I mean... I spend like 6 or 700 bucks per beach LAN. I'm sure the 49 others are somewhere in that ballpark depending on airfare and whether they purchased a room. Unless there's some kind of immense financial incentive to become an amazing Imminent player you're just not going to see the community jumping at the idea. I use the "fun" argument while also being an active competitive member of the h1 community.

If I beat Patch and Legend on the moon man map, I really don't give a shit. I know they don't know what they're doing, and I know I don't know what I'm doing. The competitive thrill comes from testing the same set of skills that I know my opponent has been honing. Do you think Daigo would be super stoked to beat the dog shit out of me at Street Fighter? Probably not.

ON THE OTHER HAND. If some outside tournament organizer said there's $5K up for grabs in a Halo 1 tournament and there WILL be new maps involved, I'm sure people would start practicing them. The problem there is... that hasn't really existed in the last decade. What's left of the active (and posting content online) OG h1 LAN community is like 100 people spread across a few Facebook chat groups. Any tournaments or money matches have been set up by us for us.

As long as that's the case, you're going to see the same relative stagnation in map selection. You're talking about breaking 15 years of inertia by just... saying we should.

All in all, I'm not saying I refuse to try something new... I'm offering insight into why things have stayed the same for 4 years.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Bonesaw, we should play a series on the new maps in December. It might help alleviate the ass beating I'd receive on og maps, and you might see why I like them so much.

@@Bonesaw, we should play a series on the new maps in December. It might help alleviate the ass beating I'd receive on og maps, and you might see why I like them so much.

kay

Anyone from here confirmed going yet?

A lot of people tell me they're definitely going, but I don't think many of them have booked tickets just yet. I know people are waiting to see if the prize pool goes up through this matcherino program they have to still set up, as well as they waiting to find out more about hotel/housing. EsportsArena says they should have some discounted hotel rooms at some point so I know people are also interested in figuring that out.

The shadowrun players were tossing around the idea of getting a big Air BnB house and splitting it but that's not something I personally want to risk putting the money out for when I haven't met the majority of these guys in real life. Prob not worth the trouble although it would be damn cheap.

I'm definitely going, and I know Doughboy and Prime have booked their tickets. Maybe @@Freecube could answer that better. He's in a super secret facebook chat that discusses this but since I'm not in Ohio or some dumb shit I'm not allowed to join and get their opinions on stuff.

I'm definitely going, and I know Doughboy and Prime have booked their tickets. Maybe @@Freecube could answer that better. He's in a super secret facebook chat that discusses this but since I'm not in Ohio or some dumb shit I'm not allowed to join and get their opinions on stuff.

Filthy non-Ohio swine.

Filthy non-Ohio swine.

Haha it's ridiculous though. The facebook chat groups are completely counter productive for anyone looking to help expand the Halo CE scene.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I mean... I spend like 6 or 700 bucks per beach LAN. I'm sure the 49 others are somewhere in that ballpark depending on airfare and whether they purchased a room. Unless there's some kind of immense financial incentive to become an amazing Imminent player you're just not going to see the community jumping at the idea. I use the "fun" argument while also being an active competitive member of the h1 community.

If I beat Patch and Legend on the moon man map, I really don't give a shit. I know they don't know what they're doing, and I know I don't know what I'm doing. The competitive thrill comes from testing the same set of skills that I know my opponent has been honing. Do you think Daigo would be super stoked to beat the dog shit out of me at Street Fighter? Probably not.

ON THE OTHER HAND. If some outside tournament organizer said there's $5K up for grabs in a Halo 1 tournament and there WILL be new maps involved, I'm sure people would start practicing them. The problem there is... that hasn't really existed in the last decade. What's left of the active (and posting content online) OG h1 LAN community is like 100 people spread across a few Facebook chat groups. Any tournaments or money matches have been set up by us for us.

As long as that's the case, you're going to see the same relative stagnation in map selection. You're talking about breaking 15 years of inertia by just... saying we should.

All in all, I'm not saying I refuse to try something new... I'm offering insight into why things have stayed the same for 4 years.

You couldn't beat a drum lil *****

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Are you and Legend going?

We're discussing it. It being so close our next LAN, deemed 5.5, complicates things. As does it being on the west coast where we don't really know anyone so we would have to pay for lodging and stuff. We will decide soon enough

We're discussing it. It being so close our next LAN, deemed 5.5, complicates things. As does it being on the west coast where we don't really know anyone so we would have to pay for lodging and stuff. We will decide soon enough

doughboy and anyone else who could earn money is sitting here waiting for you guys to confirm like:

Sweat.gif

• Upvote (+1) 5

Theres like a 6 month statute of limitations on stuff like that though. How many YEARS does it take to try some maps?

MLG didn't seem to have a problem with it when they included Sanctuary, Warlock, Heretic, etc.

MLG used 2005 tourney's basically as a testing ground for all gametypes, not just the DLC. 

OT: very excited to watch this tournament for CE and Shadowrun. You aren't by any chance casting are you? 

MLG used 2005 tourney's basically as a testing ground for all gametypes, not just the DLC. 

OT: very excited to watch this tournament for CE and Shadowrun. You aren't by any chance casting are you? 

unfortunately not. I just got to my new duty station. not even with my real unit yet, but still in replacement. Can't get the leave.

And yeah, I remember that method and thought quite highly of it.

unfortunately not. I just got to my new duty station. not even with my real unit yet, but still in replacement. Can't get the leave.

And yeah, I remember that method and thought quite highly of it.

Damn that's a shame you did a great job at beachlan this year.

Damn that's a shame you did a great job at beachlan this year.

Thank you! I had a ton of fun doing it. I've never done anything like that before. The whole experience was a total thrill.

Weedmaps has offered to fly me out to future LANs. Just gotta swing the leave. I'm gonna try to make it work.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Where do we confirm that we're in?

I can update a tentative list here, but really there should be some sort of check in or area to purchase passes on their site.

@@Phade

edit: to clarify, there have been a good number of people who have expressed interest but are still unsure because theres nowhere to purchase passes, check in, or post on their site. People seem to be holding off for that before purchasing their plane tickets/hotels.

I understand where you're coming from, but 4 years to learn a map when you don't have a local LAN scene is absolutely nothing. I've maybe played halo 20-25 times in that span.  Back when xbc was jumping and I lived with other halo players, I was able to put thousands of hours into the original maps. I've reached the point in my halo "career" that playing a less evolved meta feels like a watered down experience. I've had fun on Downrush, don't get me wrong... but up to this point it's mostly felt like everyone is cruising around and trying to out shoot one another. It's checkers vs chess, and I'd just rather be playing chess.

That's no fault of the maps or anyone in particular, it's just circumstance. My opportunity to play halo in 2016 is just vastly different than it was in 2005. The opportunity cost of really focusing on perfecting my DECIDIA game is that I could be having more fun playing what I already know at a much higher level. I think the other guys spending hundreds on plane tickets and taking time off of work might feel the same way. That's why the new maps are getting "ignored".

I see what you mean about time constraints. A tournament setting is not ideal for introducing a bunch of new maps. A slow introduction (like adding Downrush as a veto map) is the best it'll get.

However, what if it didn't take years for a map's meta to evolve? What if research and extensive testing were done prior to release, and they were released with all their spawns documented, nade tricks on video, etc.? I always hear people talking about how it's not worth their time to learn a new map, but what if it didn't take a long time?

Obviously the map has to be good too, and some of the new ones are better than others, but I think people wouldn't be such strangers if there were a way for them to acquire knowledge of a map quickly, as opposed to letting meta evolve naturally and learning its tricks over a long period of time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

halospawns.com already has the new maps on there. You can see where all the randoms are at a glance. Not sure if anyone has made nade trick videos though.

halospawns.com already has the new maps on there. You can see where all the randoms are at a glance. Not sure if anyone has made nade trick videos though.

paging doctor @@Missingno

• Upvote (+1) 2