Teapot

Esports Arena: Halo CE, Shadowrun, TF2 Tournament 1/21-1/22

Teapot, I just want to make sure I can recoup my cost or make some money if I end up top 2. Just so long you're not dividing that prize pool between 5 teams I'd like to make it out there.

Also as far as maps go I'm good with the top 7 maps (which includes DR), just don't be inserting RR in there. 

That makes sense. I don't know how the prize pool is distributed yet but feel there are pros and cons to dividing towards some of the lower placings. I think with the Beach LAN's prize pool, we could afford to give some money to top 6 but with this tournament here splitting $1,000 won't go very far if we paid top 6.

Both Wade and Cody have to comment on the prize pool and settings. I have less input about these things than I did the Beach LAN. For example, Grant brought up to Cody that he wants new maps to be included and mentioned Downrush and Decidia, Cody responded saying new maps are in. Not sure if that means just those two, more than those two or what. Hopefully they clarify asap.

Would the inclusion of these maps deter you from going even if you found that the prize money was distributed to your liking?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would play Downrush but not Decedia. The jury is still out on that map and I don't believe it should be introduced in a tournament setting. I'm also down for Battle Creek. I think the tournament should be limited to those 7 maps (co, hh, pris, damny, dere, bc, dr).

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you can limit it to those 7 maps at least and limit the amount of teams paid, I'm in and I'll get another nipper to come.

I would play Downrush but not Decedia. The jury is still out on that map and I don't believe it should be introduced in a tournament setting. I'm also down for Battle Creek. I think the tournament should be limited to those 7 maps (co, hh, pris, damny, dere, bc, dr). If you can limit it to those 7 maps at least and limit the amount of teams paid, I'm in and I'll get another nipper to come.

I'll definitely bring it up to them. However it sounds like the best way to make your concerns known is to post here just like you did. If you know anyone else that shares the same opinion, PLEASE have them post here about it. At that point it would look more like a community concern rather than just our opinion. I assume most would prefer to limit it to those 7 maps as well.

Even to some lurkers that might now go, where do you stand on the possibility of the new maps being played? For Beach LAN, I was heavily in favor for DR and love the map. My opinion was swayed when I realized how little various groups played them. Even though I feel they should play them, I didn't think it was exactly fair with little notice. I either think that the new maps need to be announced a long time before the tournament so theres no excuses. Like for Beach LAN 5 we made it known that DR would be in the rotation at BL6.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Doughboy, Decidia is an extremely good map. The jury's still out just because most people don't play it, but including it as a tourney map would get people to start playing it. IMO it has a better meta than BC. I wouldn't suggest it be included in every round or as the tiebreaker map, but in one of the first rounds of the Winner's Bracket and one of the first rounds of the Loser's Bracket I think it'd be good to include it as a noncritical map (i.e., the first or second one of the series).

And I agree that RR shouldn't be anywhere near a tourney. 

Teapot/Wade/Whoever knows: I assume the halo 2v2 tourney will be double elimination, is that correct? Will each series be best of 3, 5, or 7?

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'd also like to suggest that the top 3 teams get paid if the prize pool is $1,000, but the top 5 get paid if the prize pool is $2,000+.

Is all this stuff going to get streamed? 

Regardless, this looks awesome. I'd definitely have to check this out. Dang I miss playing Shadowun. That was such a fun ass game!

If it's $1000 I'd say top 2 get paid imo. If someone has to fly cross country for $300+ a ticket plus all other costs he can't recoup his money even if he gets first if top 3 are splitting that $. Give 3rd place a non-cash prize.

Grant, there's just not enough notice for decidia and arguably DR. You would have a huge advantage over everyone. Or anyone that plays that map on a normal basis. I'd say no this time and potentially yes for other tourneys. Just my 3* cents

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fair enough. I guess most groups couldn't LAN more than a handful of times before the tourney. Let's play it during side games and if you think it's as good as I do, we can push for more of the community to start including it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does 2gre know about this?

Who knows, I've tweeted him about it. tweeted and spammed him about the BL too and couldn't get a response for that either even though his trip would have been paid for. It's rather odd.

Damn, if I only were from the US as well. Looks pretty sweet!

I can't imagine what a plane ticket would be like but it would be cool to have people show up from all over. I know that theres a few South American TF2 teams looking into tickets.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo CE on original equipment and Shadowrun?!?  Sounds like the proper way to run a tourney.  Maybe some Colombians will show up.  The ones that hide behind their host on MCC will get beat 50-5 on an OG box.

If only MLG had the sense to realize that these games should have been played everytime they hosted a tournament.  

Oh well....Sundance turned a blind eye.

Did I mention Halo 5 is trash and 343 is trash?

• Downvote (-1) 3

If it's $1000 I'd say top 2 get paid imo. If someone has to fly cross country for $300+ a ticket plus all other costs he can't recoup his money even if he gets first if top 3 are splitting that $. Give 3rd place a non-cash prize.

I let them know the concern. Again at some point they'll come in and disclose all the details but both have other events on their plate before ours. It was said that our best bet for having our concerns heard would be posting here.

It sounds like it's going to pay out top 3. 1st - 60% 2nd - 30% 3rd - 10%

Regarding maps I don't believe we should be using new ones despite how much I like to play them. At the very most I feel we can include downrush as a veto map just like we did at the BL. If there was more notice for this event then maybe it would be enough time for most to practice. It would be cool to see BL6 use some new maps and that event is definitely far enough away for players to practice them.

Blazer what race do you tend to play! On Saturday players will be able to play in the 1 vs 1 ($125)and the 2 vs 2 tournaments ($180).I'm sure these amounts will grow with donations as we get closer to the event. But this hasn't been finalized.

All this "lack of notice" talk irritates me. The maps have been out for several years, and they're good enough to be played in tournaments.  Imo as soon as a map goes NHE-ready, theres your notice. Start practicing because it should be used in tournaments.

The only reason people are hesitant to include them is because they never play them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

All this "lack of notice" talk irritates me. The maps have been out for several years, and they're good enough to be played in tournaments. Imo as soon as a map goes NHE-ready, theres your notice. Start practicing because it should be used in tournaments.

The only reason people are hesitant to include them is because they never play them.

Advantages because you have more time than someone to learn maps, live in a better Halo 1 area, have more free time/money than other people, etc., don't really belong in a tournament setting, IMO.

If a new map was played in a tournament, don't you think whoever played the map more will have a better chance of winning? That's not a good thing.

Advantages because you have more time than someone to learn maps, live in a better Halo 1 area, have more free time/money than other people, etc., don't really belong in a tournament setting, IMO.

If a new map was played in a tournament, don't you think whoever played the map more will have a better chance of winning? That's not a good thing.

This is correct but lets not forget these maps have been available from the outset of H1.5 for the last 4 years. There isn't any "lack of notice" there, just a refusal to force people to learn them. The most progress that has been made on that is forcing people to play Downrush at BL6 next year.

While I don't get too upset about it, I find it a bit sad some people just outright refuse to play the new maps. They've certainly missed out.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Don't talk like you didn't just refuse to play the new maps 95% of the time when we LANed and I tried to get us to play the new maps. Lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Theres like a 6 month statute of limitations on stuff like that though. How many YEARS does it take to try some maps?

MLG didn't seem to have a problem with it when they included Sanctuary, Warlock, Heretic, etc.