Teapot

Esports Arena: Halo CE, Shadowrun, TF2 Tournament 1/21-1/22

is it bakwards compatible yet? I havent played in so long. i dont even know if my old 360 works

Nope. I doubt it will be backwards compatible anytime soon either.

Who's organizing this, exactly? 

Wade for sure, then I believe Cody Dragon and Elamite Warrior. I just figured it would be best to give as much of a heads up as possible even though the logistics are not set in stone. These are two of my favorite games so I'm willing to put in as much effort as possible to have a good turnout.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wish they could fly you in to cast CE lol. Your Beach LAN casting was pretty great. :holmes:

Thank you! I hope I can too. Although my unit may take issue with me taking leave in both December and January. Hopefully it works out.

If there's an opportunity, I'd love to cast Shadowrun too. I played it a lot back in 06-07, so I'm familiar with the game, although I'm aware the meta has evolved drastically since then. What a rare opportunity that would be! I'd be all over it!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thank you! I hope I can too. Although my unit may take issue with me taking leave in both December and January. Hopefully it works out.

If there's an opportunity, I'd love to cast Shadowrun too. I played it a lot back in 06-07, so I'm familiar with the game, although I'm aware the meta has evolved drastically since then. What a rare opportunity that would be! I'd be all over it!

What are your plans? Are you going to 5.5? Any idea if you could make this? I bet you'd kill it commentating Shadowrun just like you did with CE.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Who's organizing this, exactly? 

Primarily myself and the Esports Arena staff. We'll be working with Teapot and some others in the community as well to incorporate their knowledge and expertise of the games and communities involved.

• Upvote (+1) 6

What are your plans? Are you going to 5.5? Any idea if you could make this? I bet you'd kill it commentating Shadowrun just like you did with CE.

Thanks man.  I definitely plan on going to 5.5, and I really want to go to this too. Time will tell. I'm changing duty stations from Hawaii to Ft Riley, Kansas next Saturday, so I'll still be pretty new to my unit when this stuff is going down. Its all very uncertain at the moment but I'm dying to be there.

Hmm, interesting. It is kinda unfortunate that this is so soon after BL 5.5. I guess we'll see when more details come out.

aww west coast

This just made me think how MLG should hold throwback halo event in Columbus. (maybe CE-3? or just CE/2). They could get a large turnout I am sure. 

Updated the OP with some more information.

Thanks man.  I definitely plan on going to 5.5, and I really want to go to this too. Time will tell. I'm changing duty stations from Hawaii to Ft Riley, Kansas next Saturday, so I'll still be pretty new to my unit when this stuff is going down. Its all very uncertain at the moment but I'm dying to be there.

Did you get leave for 5.5? I originally wanted to go but then heard about this event and still wanted to attend BL5.5 but felt this was going to cost a bit more and take up some time on the planning portion. I'll have to check out tickets and see if they're reasonable for tampa.

Hmm, interesting. It is kinda unfortunate that this is so soon after BL 5.5. I guess we'll see when more details come out.

Agreed, def some unfortunate timing here. Do you think there is a chance you can make this? I hear there's an Ohio LAN and Dman's LAN are sometime mid January. Not sure if they plan on doing anything Halo 1 related in the future but with enough notice I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in attending. It's one thing for our scene to play tournaments at an established LAN, but to attend a legitimate tournament ran by an independent company is a nice step up imo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Updated the OP with some more information.

Did you get leave for 5.5? I originally wanted to go but then heard about this event and still wanted to attend BL5.5 but felt this was going to cost a bit more and take up some time on the planning portion. I'll have to check out tickets and see if they're reasonable for tampa.

Agreed, def some unfortunate timing here. Do you think there is a chance you can make this? I hear there's an Ohio LAN and Dman's LAN are sometime mid January. Not sure if they plan on doing anything Halo 1 related in the future but with enough notice I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in attending. It's one thing for our scene to play tournaments at an established LAN, but to attend a legitimate tournament ran by an independent company is a nice step up imo.

I won't be able to put in a request for leave until I'm at my new unit in November, so no it's not in yet for 5.5

If this is happening I'd probably come. I'd def. try and drag Prime out as well.

It's happening, they should add the info to their own site soon but might not have team passes available to purchase until the end of this month due to them changing up their website structure and a couple other reasons.

What would it take for you to commit to this?

You got my tag wrong in the original post but it happens a lot (2 ps).

I am actually helping put the Halo:CE tournament part on. I think we should have at least 8 stations (32 players at once (2v2)) with all the equipment I have from my house and others. I am sure there is more at the center, too. It should be a lot of fun and I hope we get a lot of good CE players there. It would be nice to see a revival like smash melee got in the last few years for the original halo scene. That is the hope and part of the reason this is being pushed by cody and others. Hope some people here can make it!

I should be able to make it to this. Thanks for putting this on. It sounds awesome.

Can we get a list of maps that will be played for h1? If anything besides Derelict for FFAs and the standard 5 maps for 2v2s are played, those who don't play the new maps will want as much time to practice them as possible.

Also, will all stations have NHE, and what networking equipment will be used for NHE? An old switch, long ethernets, or damaged ethernets can make NHE feel pretty laggy. I can send whoever is coordinating this my recommendation for the switch and ethernets to use.

I should be able to make it to this. Thanks for putting this on. It sounds awesome.

Can we get a list of maps that will be played for h1? If anything besides Derelict for FFAs and the standard 5 maps for 2v2s are played, those who don't play the new maps will want as much time to practice them as possible.

Also, will all stations have NHE, and what networking equipment will be used for NHE? An old switch, long ethernets, or damaged ethernets can make NHE feel pretty laggy. I can send whoever is coordinating this my recommendation for the switch and ethernets to use.

Last time at chumpp's a few weeks ago I think there was 5 stations, all NHE. I believe all 8 stations at this event will be NHE. All the other technical things, I don't know. Came from MCC and don't know shit about lan equipment.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

If anyone has questions, comments, concerns, feel free to post them here and either Wade or Cody should respond.

I hope to get some CE players to try Shadowrun and Shadowrun players to try CE. Shadowrun players will step into an accessible title that has so much hidden depth that they will get worked. Halo players will step into one of the least accessible games but just have to worry about learning all the in game content.

Last time at chumpp's a few weeks ago I think there was 5 stations, all NHE. I believe all 8 stations at this event will be NHE. All the other technical things, I don't know. Came from MCC and don't know shit about lan equipment.

What were the TV's like? I think theres some concern about that, specifically that the CRT's per station feel very similar.

What were the TV's like? I think theres some concern about that, specifically that the CRT's per station feel very similar.

Shit man I couldn't even begin to tell you about the small details and all that, I've played OG xbox 4 times now total, I struggle with even plugging in basic shit haha.

From what I remember all the stations played similar, but once again, I probably wouldn't know the differences. I'll text chumpp and either ask him and get back to you or have him post here because I think a lot of the stations will be his equipment.

Teapot, I just want to make sure I can recoup my cost or make some money if I end up top 2. Just so long you're not dividing that prize pool between 5 teams I'd like to make it out there.

Also as far as maps go I'm good with the top 7 maps (which includes DR), just don't be inserting RR in there. 

Teapot, I just want to make sure I can recoup my cost or make some money if I end up top 2. Just so long you're not dividing that prize pool between 5 teams I'd like to make it out there.

Also as far as maps go I'm good with the top 7 maps (which includes DR), just don't be inserting RR in there. 

I'm curious of your opinion on Missingno's "new" RR with the sniper in top room. I haven't tried it yet and I was wondering if you have.

Hey Teapot and holy shit this sounds super dope.  Add me to the potential Shadowrun list and I'll let you know about CE. Damn I'm gonna have to hit up Majin and Zenn.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm curious of your opinion on Missingno's "new" RR with the sniper in top room. I haven't tried it yet and I was wondering if you have.

I haven't yet. There's been talk about doing that for years. I'd have to try it. Although with the addition of a snipe it may not be as balanced; the rocket may need to be added somewhere. I'll have to try it before I form an opinion though.

Any idea on how the prize money will be disbursed?

Hey Teapot and holy shit this sounds super dope. Add me to the potential Shadowrun list and I'll let you know about CE. Damn I'm gonna have to hit up Majin and Zenn.

Hustler!!!! What up bro? I've been in contact with the Canadians, Zenn says he's pretty much down and Mazhin is a maybe (he just got married so...)

But seriously I'm so excited for this I don't even know what to do with my hands...

• Upvote (+1) 1