Joseph

[POLL] HCS Pro Player Feedback #2

I never thought of the imbalance of pistol vs BR\DMR, that is a bit silly.  I like how BR\DMR\CARBINE are balanced against eachother, but for a highly competitive game that almost turns those rifles into a type of power weapon against pistol carriers.  In previous halos you have your starting rifle and the next step up is a sniper which is on a slower spawn rotation and has a high skill gap, and isnt good at close range, where as with the pistol vs rifles dont have that skill gap and are pretty comparable at close range.  Pistol primary harkens to H1, but would it really be the end of the world to have a BR instead?   :walshy:  

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

There are other ways to balance the precision weapon meta.

Quantity of rifles on map, weapon timers (Tier 2 Rifles... @Deez), their locations, etc.

AR clearly has an issue when it dominates the other loadout weapon.

But the pistol is just under powered in it's own right as well though. The easiest fix is a a slight buff to the pistol.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I feel like BR starts would solve a lot in the "Autos too good" debate. Halo 5 is extremely well balanced imo. Auto's win up close, like theyre supposed to. Pistol is a great utility weapon that doesnt overpower or underperform.

Adding quicker/more bloom on Autos is the best way to go imo

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 11

I'm not even sure if Gfinity do NA events, but I think Gfinity would be the best organisers for events in Europe. 

Both NA and EU players were polled.

I still feel this game would play so much better if there were no othe precision weapons on the map other than the magnum. Most difficult weapon, and it's completely outclassed by the other rifles. I'm surprised no pro thinks the magnum is too weak. The other rifles absolutely destroy the magnum at range and are much easier to use especially the BR. Maybe put 1 rifle on each map on a tier 2 timer or something.

But thank GOD pros don't like radar and think autos need a nerf. That's wonderful to see.

But isn't that the whole point?

Start off with the most worse precision weapon (not including boltshot*) and the worse auto in AR (not including Supressor*)

*mainly down to tracking bullets.

• Downvote (-1) 2

I really don't understand the pull to MLG other than nostalgia and their lan location history. How do ESL lans compare? I heard Orange County was a rough start but wasn't it Esports Arena that ran it, just in association with ESL's HCS Pro League, so it wasn't necessarily ESL's event?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The pistol doesn't need a buff it's fine the way it is, you are supposed to pick up better weapons that are in the map.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 7

But isn't that the whole point?

Start off with the most worse precision weapon (not including boltshot*) and the worse auto in AR (not including Supressor*)

*mainly down to tracking bullets.

That kind of balance just promoted snowballing and unfair gunfights that are more reliant on your weapon rather than gunskill and positioning. Name one Halo game where you spawn with a weaker precision weapon than those that are on the map (in comp settings). It's never happened because it promotes snowballing.
  • Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I really don't understand the pull to MLG other than nostalgia and their lan location history. How do ESL lans compare? I heard Orange County was a rough start but wasn't it Esports Arena that ran it, just in association with ESL's HCS Pro League, so it wasn't necessarily ESL's event?

Well MLG knows how to promote and put on Halo LANS and we all love MLG Adam. 

ESL is great at closed LANs (they did an amazing job with ESL One at the Barclay Center) and promoting those, but MLG has the grassroots organizational skills. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The pistol doesn't need a buff it's fine the way it is, you are supposed to pick up better weapons that are in the map.

What is the concept of a utility weapon for 100 alex?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Might want to just remove this before someone from 343 or esl nitpicks it and ignores the rest. Maybe write up a summary/analysis of the data like tibs did http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/14543-poll-hcs-pro-player-feedback-2/?do=findComment&comment=852986 (or use his).

Question 7 featured the same options in a few of the answer selections. This was a simple clarification on which TO's the Pro Players would like to see involved overall. I added up ESL's total the exact same I added up MLGs total. The same data is there anyways, I just simplified it in order to present a better picture of what players are actually looking for - which was the entire point of the poll.

Question 7 featured the same options in a few of the answer selections. This was a simple clarification on which TO's the Pro Players would like to see involved overall. I added up ESL's total the exact same I added up MLGs total. The same data is there anyways, I just simplified it in order to present a better picture of what players are actually looking for - which was the entire point of the poll.

I know the intent, I'm just trying to limit anything they can nitpick. Tibs said the same thing in his post, he just added a few more words to it to get the picture across more clearly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That kind of balance just promoted snowballing and unfair gunfights that are more reliant on your weapon rather than gunskill and positioning. Name one Halo game where you spawn with a weaker precision weapon than those that are on the map (in comp settings). It's never happened because it promotes snowballing.

I wouldn't say snowballing but adds to the momentum of the game. Bigger swings, bigger comebacks.

• Downvote (-1) 3

That's literally what snowballing is lol. Your magnum should be the utility weapon. Not the weakest precision weapon on the map. It makes spawners even more weak. It's not good balance.

I would personally hate to had it like it is on Breakout where only one person gets a BR for example.

Wouldn't the still be a problem if the was only 2 brs on the map and the one team had both plus a power weapon. Would end up in the same situation but just harder to break out of it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would personally hate to had it like it is on Breakout where only one person gets a BR for example.

Wouldn't the still be a problem if the was only 2 brs on the map and the one team had both plus a power weapon. Would end up in the same situation but just harder to break out of it.

Yes it would still be a problem, which is why I believe the magnum should be the only precision weapon on the map. But to your point, yea that would be a disadvantage, but as it is now teams can have multiple rifles at once and they respawn quickly too. On Truth for example, if you have a team spawn in their base you can get at least 1 BR and 1 CC and thy can't do anything about it. So now you have map control AND better weapons. Map control is already a good enough advantage you shouldn't get even more. That what snowballing is.

It gets even worse on slow maps like Eden slayer. Almost nobody has a pistol. It's all power weapons, rifles and autos.

Well MLG knows how to promote and put on Halo LANS and we all love MLG Adam. 

ESL is great at closed LANs (they did an amazing job with ESL One at the Barclay Center) and promoting those, but MLG has the grassroots organizational skills. 

I'm not sure grassroots skill really matters much in hosting a Pro League Open Lan but MLG does have nostalgic grassroots appeal and good location history. Location is certainly a big factor that affected the critic and impression of the HCS Orange County lan. 

That's literally what snowballing is lol. Your magnum should be the utility weapon. Not the weakest precision weapon on the map. It makes spawners even more weak. It's not good balance.

Reminds me of people not vetoing ARs on The Pit in H3 TS.

"But it's The Pit!!1!11!!!"

Then the game is decided within the first 30 seconds.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Reminds me of people not vetoing ARs on The Pit in H3 TS.

"But it's The Pit!!1!11!!!"

Then the game is decided within the first 30 seconds.

Man stop you are bringing back my FAVORITE Halo memories! Crouching in my base because I had no BR and I couldn't poke out. Good times.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

I'm not sure grassroots skill really matters much in hosting a Pro League Open Lan but MLG does have nostalgic grassroots appeal and good location history. Location is certainly a big factor that affected the critic and impression of the HCS Orange County lan. 

Don't see a reason they can't have ESL Pro League, season finals, and MLG open events. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

www.halowaypoint.com

I think that's where you meant to post that.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Fuck it, we should have a no radar, CE Magnum start with H2 BR a pick up like shotgun is and a power weapon. No sprint but the improved movement speed you get with the CE magnum. That shit is just fun to play with

• Upvote (+1) 1