Sign in to follow this  
Niku

For the sake of argument: Halo: 4 better than Halo: 5

Vanilla Reach will forever be the worst iteration of Halo ever, followed closely by H4 at launch and pre-patch H2.

• Upvote (+1) 6

To be fair Halo 4 had much larger social playlist variety than Halo 5 has (though the entire game was social playlists and assorted garbage) and I'll admit, Halo 4 in the MCC leaves a much better impression when the entirety of Halo 4's gameplay problems are suddenly limited to 'Halo 2 with Sprint'.

Compared to Halo 5, nothing else is/was better. On the Multiplayer side at least. I guess aiming was a little tighter but technically ...you weren't. The auto aim and magnetism put even Halo 2 to shame if memory serves.

Singleplayer is another thing. In Halo 4 you leveled up and could unlock/purchase armors just from replaying the Campaign; none of which Halo 5 even attempts to do. On the story side of things as well Halo 4 is in a better spot. Solely because it did the bare minimum to continue the Halo story.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think Reach was better.

Ehh

For me the first 3 games are all pretty much equal. All have pros and cons but they're all exceptional games. After that there's a huge drop off. H4 and H5 are close and Reach is a slight notch below.

If I had to number score them

CE/2/3- 9.5

H4/H5- 6

Reach-5

Ehh

For me the first 3 games are all pretty much equal. All have pros and cons but they're all exceptional games. After that there's a huge drop off. H4 and H5 are close and Reach is a slight notch below.

If I had to number score them

CE/2/3- 9.5

H4/H5- 6

Reach-5

I just feel like Reach was a more whole game than H4 or H5 were.

• Upvote (+1) 2

don't forget split screen

Damn right son, forgot about that.

Jeeez H5 is looking worse by the minute. Lel

I didn't like either game but what I do know is that despite Halo 4's flaws, I still played a shit ton of it. The powerful autos and ADS was the last straw for me. I like Halo because it was Halo, not because it looked like Halo. Without the aesthetics, Halo 5 has almost no resemblance to what Bungie made.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I didn't like either game but what I do know is that despite Halo 4's flaws, I still played a shit ton of it. The powerful autos and ADS was the last straw for me. I like Halo because it was Halo, not because it looked like Halo. Without the aesthetics, Halo 5 has almost no resemblance to what Bungie made.

Halo 5 barely even looks like Bungie's Halo.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Aiming in H4 at least doesn't have that sluggish H5 feel

Yup. The core gameplay of H5 is miles better (weapons on map, equal starts, etc) but because of the shitty aiming, I can't enjoy those improvements.

Shitty game with great aiming vs. Less shitty game with shit aiming

Fuck it I'll just play R6 Siege.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Absolutely no contest here. H5 is literally better in every single way. Mechanics, gunplay, balancing, maps, etc.

H5 has it's problems, but at least its a respectable game

Being better than halo 4 (by splitting hairs) is an extremely low bar, and does not automatically grant the title of "respectable game."

H5 is not a respectable game, not even close.

H2 had it's problems, but at least it was a respectable game. H3 and on? Pure. Trash.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I would rather play Halo 5 over Halo 4 any day of the week. Say what you want about armor abilities, but Halo 5 at least made them feel fluid within it's game rather than some afterthought squeezed in. I thought Halo 4 had shitty maps too. I don't think any of the negatives in H5 make it a worse experience than Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Being better than halo 4 (by splitting hairs) is an extremely low bar, and does not automatically grant the title of "respectable game."

H5 is not a respectable game, not even close.

H2 had it's problems, but at least it was a respectable game. H3 and on? Pure. Trash.

K. Agree to disagree.

Edit: What part of this thread title enticed you to even click on it, then?

Absolutely no contest here. H5 is literally better in every single way. Mechanics, gunplay, balancing, maps, etc.

worse in aiming, customization, campaign, split-screen and theatre

• Upvote (+1) 3

For as much animosity as Halo 5 gets map wise, Halo 4 maps were by far better (at being trash). They made a BTB map into a 4v4 map (even did 5v5 for a while for some stupid reason) so its really hard to prefer Halo 4 over Halo 5 outside of Single Player.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I understand that Halo 4 is a pretty bad Halo game, but I can legitimately have fun on that game because I don't take it seriously, and based on it's vanilla settings it shouldn't be taken seriously.

Halo 5 on the other hand, I get really frustrated because it's very much a game that wants to be taken seriously(competitively speaking), but it has so many things holding it back that it just frustrates me. Plus the aiming. I can adjust to it very well, but I can't consistently play Halo 5, and any other shooter while having a good shot in both.

Halo 5 is still a bit better objectively IMO(I'm a Halo 4 kid BTW).

H1 2v2 is in a different realm.

H2 patched > H1 4v4 >>>>>>>>> H5 = ZBNS Reach >>> H3 >>>>>>>> H2 prepatch > H4 > Vanilla Reach

So no, not even fucking close.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

>Halo 4

>Mediocre campaign

Pissed-off.gif

I have no idea why everyone praises its story.

And beyond that it has several gameplay flaws.  Prometheans are boring enemies to fight and they have no personality.  The level design was so-so.  The sandbox was lacking.

Halo 4 story was generic and very unHalo like. Super boring scifi BS. The gameplay itself was horrendously linear and the enemies were sponges. I'm gonna go ahead and say no redeeming factors, probably on the same level as H5.

I have no idea why everyone praises its story.

And beyond that it has several gameplay flaws.  Prometheans are boring enemies to fight and they have no personality.  The level design was so-so.  The sandbox was lacking.

Want to know why Halo 4 has the best story in the series? Start here—https://haruspis.wordpress.com/2014/02/11/halo-4-level-by-level-analysis-prologue/—and don't stop.

Halo 4's campaign has more beauties, sorrows, emotional depth, and clever subtleties than every other campaign put together, times ten.