Sign in to follow this  
CorporalWings0

Do you feel the autos are balanced correctly in H5?

Autos  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the autos are fine?

• Yes
    • No

Remove the ability to zoom in with automatics

Remove the crouching bonus accuracy buff

Remove the headshot bonus buff

That is just a start. I understand the automatics are overpowered (except maybe the brute plasma rifle) but removing the bonuses associated with autos will help tremendously. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That is just a start. I understand the automatics are overpowered (except maybe the brute plasma rifle) but removing the bonuses associated with autos will help tremendously. 

Seems strange that people give the BPR a free pass when it's one of the best guns in the game. It's a more-accurate Storm Rifle that shreds through OS with no effort, and has a crazy-fast swap speed that pairs well with a BR. 2 shots+melee will kill, 2 shots+BR headshot kills, and 3 shots breaks shields.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's honestly insane that anyone could possibly think the autos aren't too powerful. Smart scope, HEADSHOT BONUSES (this is laughably bad) and crouch ready make them too strong. And then on top of that their perfect (and I guarantee average) kill times are faster than the magnum. You really are gonna sit here and tell me that's "fine" in a competitive game? Damn, I guess without your precious autos you know you are average so you're gonna defend their insane damage to the grave. Whatever. Enjoy the spray and pray meta and "tap fire hurr durr" defenses. Obviously you must have hated past Halo games since NONE of them are balanced like this at all.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

My 2 major issues with the autos in H5 are:

too many on map pick ups (tbh this goes beyond just the autos)

AR has too little spread, especially at range.

A 4sk pistol would be fine although i kind of like the pistol as it is.  Increase AR spread and reduce on map pick ups and ill be happy (well as happy as its possible to be with server issues, radar in competitive playlists, sprint, spartan charge and spectator mode) 

I have no fun using them or having them used against me, so I vote no.

When I get shot at with an AR/SMG/Storm I almost instantly feel like i have no hope of surviving unless there's a clear and effective escape route. The enemy doesn't need skill, they just point and shoot putting me on an outrageously short life clock, and unless I have a oHK weapon I'm doomed.

There's no counterplay. I can't strafe or thrust to put off my opponents aim because they don't need to aim. They don't have shots to pace, they can just brainlessly hose me down no matter how good my pistol shot is because it's so damn easy and efficient.

That's not fun, or balanced, and why bungie never made them powerful. They still made them useful (especially in CE) and have a place in the sandbox, but they very correctly never made the anti-fun weapons powerful.

Something that is often never mentioned in regards to weapon balancing or the general sandbox is the fun factor. If you perfect someone with a pistol (hell, any precision weapon) it is likely going to feel pretty damn good, you kill someone with an auto and it just feels like meh. So I think one could argue that it is best to highlight the fun stuff (precision weapons) over the not so fun areas (like autos) so nerfing the autos might be the best call overall. 

The saddest thing about all of this is that there really isn't a good solution to this problem. The AR (love or hate it) is an iconic weapon in Halo, just as the magnum or the needler and so on are. Of course autos are always going to be in Halo games, but they are never going to be as good I feel as the precision weapons are. Making AR a pickup is the most simple and effective solution that I see, the largest benefit of autos is that they are sort of a crutch for players who don't have amazing aim, and so they fill a certain niche in that regard, so just relegating them to pickups would essentially make them less of a factor overall (which as I said, they aren't as fun anyways) which would improve the game somewhat. 

Crouching removes recoil, doesn't increase accuracy. Scoping reduces bloom and increases your red reticule range, which does improve accuracy.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Yeah, and therein lies the problem: it's still too broad. For instance, this is my opinion:

- AR needs a nerf. Remove its headshot and accuracy bonuses.

- Storm Rifle is fine, but it needs to be a T2 weapon. It has the strength of a power weapon, so it should be treated as one.

- SMG is fine with 1 reload, but the 20 second timer isn't. Its timer should be 60 or 90.

- SAW is fine. It's a power weapon, not a normal pickup, and it's one of the more unique ones, believe it or not.

For the most part, my problem is with the prevalence of automatics, not their power. But this is still very much a sandbox issue, and a binary yes-no poll herds in-between voters like myself toward picking 'no' just because they have specific issues. Balance is a very subjective matter, after all. It's not something that's black and white.

OK, I see what you guys mean by the poll being broad. I was more so meaning by their power/usefulness when I said balance, but I understand that it funnels people into "no" if they have a problem with them.

What @@Devaneaux said. Title is far too broad to cover all our bases here.

To start, I find it an absolute travesty that scopes and headshot bonuses were even considered, and moreso now that they are added. It exhibits a fundamental error in thinking that pervades most games today - everyone must be equal. That somehow having the same outcome despite difference in arsenal or skill is "balanced". I think @@Cursed Lemon's put it best when talking about calculated imbalance being what truly creates a good game and sandbox. To violate that actively harms the game and is destroying actual purpose or niche for the majority of Halo 5's weapons.

Specifics:

Assault Rifle - my issue comes more from a principled standpoint rather than a practical one, though I still find the AR to be too far reaching and damaging for its intended role. The main problem is it can actively compete with its counterpart starting weapon at any range the other is supposed to excel at. It basically eliminates the magnum as any sort of "utility weapon" Quinn Delhoyo laughably claims it to be. With it being an objectively easier to use weapon due to having spread and requiring just a squeeze of the trigger, the focus turns to the AR instead of the pistol. Adding headshot bonuses and accuracy buffs is nearly the same damn problem as bloom where a lucky few shots determine the outcome of a battle rather than consistent solid performance. Perhaps if the starting auto had a predictable spread pattern, this would be fine, but I find that to be a personally extraneous solution to a problem that need not exist in the first place.

In short - nerf the AR's range, up the spread, and keep the damage, or make it a predictable gun with spread that's consistsnt.

SMG - while redundant, it could benefit massively from removing its scope and upping the spread. Might actually have a role. Don't mind the damage if those two were taken care of.

Storm rifle - bad. We have the BPR; storm rifle exists only to be a major tilt machine who can shit on anything in its path. While Tier 2'ing it and reduced ammo may suffice, I personally dont think it has room in the game.

BPR - pretty good, but i recommend 5-6 shots for a shield break rather than 3. Makes it actually a choice to use rather than something equivalent to the H2 plasma pistol where you basically have a guaranteed kill.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Nerf the UNSC Autos and turn the Storm and Brute plasma rifles into second tier power weapons with increased respawn timers on them. Halo used to be about precision weapons and awareness. Now it is about Autos and radar camping.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When I get shot at with an AR/SMG/Storm I almost instantly feel like i have no hope of surviving unless there's a clear and effective escape route. The enemy doesn't need skill, they just point and shoot putting me on an outrageously short life clock, and unless I have a oHK weapon I'm doomed.

There's no counterplay. I can't strafe or thrust to put off my opponents aim because they don't need to aim. They don't have shots to pace, they can just brainlessly hose me down no matter how good my pistol shot is because it's so damn easy and efficient.

That's not fun, or balanced, and why bungie never made them powerful. They still made them useful (especially in CE) and have a place in the sandbox, but they very correctly never made the anti-fun weapons powerful.

I can't upvote this enough.

No, they auto-aim is too high, the bloom is too low, the rage is too far and they are far too powerful.

Has anyone tested the H2 BR primary? for 4v4 's

Unnecessary. The weapon has too much magnetism. It's even easier than the regular BR. If it were the starting weapon it would be the easiest starting weapon in series history. No thank you.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Unnecessary. The weapon has too much magnetism. It's even easier than the regular BR. If it were the starting weapon it would be the easiest starting weapon in series history. No thank you.

Remember when it was the starting weapon for the 2v2 valentine's playlist? *shudder*

• Upvote (+1) 2

Remember when it was the starting weapon for the 2v2 valentine's playlist? *shudder*

Well now I do, ya jerk.

Repressed memories get repressed for a reason.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think they're balanced fine. I would rather not have them in competitive settings because they take away potential exciting plays. You can't make people miss with an auto, it's like guaranteed damage. Someone could miss 3 pistol shots, which allows the guy to have enough shields to make an incredible play on the next guy. But with autos, the guy who missed 3 pistol shots can just spray him down to no shields making it guaranteed his teammate will clean the guy up.

I think having radar makes auto play come up way more often. Get rid of radar, and we would see a lot less auto use. they're only good if you know someone is in close quarters.

Radar is the main problem.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I think they're balanced fine. I would rather not have them in competitive settings because they take away potential exciting plays. You can't make people miss with an auto, it's like guaranteed damage. Someone could miss 3 pistol shots, which allows the guy to have enough shields to make an incredible play on the next guy. But with autos, the guy who missed 3 pistol shots can just spray him down to no shields making it guaranteed his teammate will clean the guy up.

I think having radar makes auto play come up way more often. Get rid of radar, and we would see a lot less auto use. they're only good if you know someone is in close quarters.

Radar is the main problem.

I agree with everything here except that they're balanced fine. The way you describe autos is true, and that would be perfectly fine if they were balanced by having a longer TTK.  The problem is that the AR and the pistol have similar TTK's and shine in similar ranges.  And the SMG and Storm Rifle just kill too quickly and are redundant as all hell.  The ease of use is not balanced at all in relation to the reward.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The power of the autos is fine. Halo needs more powerful weapons again.

They just need to copy the CE pistol properties to the H5 one in every way to fix the problem. Makes duels more exciting and skillful and the blame can only fall at the feet of an unskilled player if they get ARed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Seems strange that people give the BPR a free pass when it's one of the best guns in the game. It's a more-accurate Storm Rifle that shreds through OS with no effort, and has a crazy-fast swap speed that pairs well with a BR. 2 shots+melee will kill, 2 shots+BR headshot kills, and 3 shots breaks shields.

It seems to do it's job well enough compared to the storm rifle, it primarily drains shields but takes longer to drain health. It is clearly better than it should be, but it would be irrelevant in H5 if it wasn't still too powerful. Yes, it is far too accurate though. And when you combine it with the magnetic melee system this game has (I swear you don't have to look at people to melee them) you get an OP weapon. I don't even use a magnum on Molten, why would I when I can crouch camp with BPR and watch radar.

Has anyone tested the H2 BR primary? for 4v4 's

The H2BR feels better than the H5 one, but has insane amounts of bullet mag and fires so quickly, it may as well be an automatic.

It doesn't matter. It didn't register.

Legendary.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Someone hasn't played H2A.

Someone hasn't played H2A.

Yeah, he has. H2A BR isn't nearly as easy as the 'H2' BR, which melts at every range, has a disgusting magnetism radius, and zero spread.