Sign in to follow this  
Brad Pitt

Halo Reach Xbox One update out now!

The long awaited update addressing poor frame rate and input lag for Reach on Xbox One finally came today. I've only played one game so far to test it out and it seems to be running smooth, and this was a game on Graveyard Heavies with lots of action going on at once. 

I'll be streaming for the next couple of hours if anyone is curious about the quality of the update:

www.twitch.tv/bradpittgod

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've been trying out rough areas of the campaign since it dropped and it works flawlessly.

Well, it's identical to the 360 performance but that's the goal.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You download the game in the Xbox store, right? I was going to awhile ago, but I heard all the issues and decided against it. Also, are all your stats saved? I'm assuming so, but just checking.

You download the game in the Xbox store, right? I was going to awhile ago, but I heard all the issues and decided against it. Also, are all your stats saved? I'm assuming so, but just checking.

Put your 360 disc in and it'll download it from the store.

And yup, it all carries over.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've been playing the past 2-3 hours. No frame rate issues at all. Plays just like the 360 now. This update was worth the wait. Only thing is the sensitivity on the Xbox One controller is a little tighter, but just something to get used to.

Nice to get a fix for the framerate. Now I can play some classic, decent modes that haven't been completely ruined. *cough* BTB and Infection *cough cough*

• Upvote (+1) 2

The framerate still dips in BTB but I don't remember if it was like that in the original, going back to the game makes me miss the amount of content/features and aesthetic the game had but I definitely still hate the gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The framerate still dips in BTB but I don't remember if it was like that in the original, going back to the game makes me miss the amount of content/features and aesthetic the game had but I definitely still hate the gameplay.

Same, installed it earlier.  Flicking through the menu's was great.. and then I played a TS on reflection and remembered exactly why I hated Reach.  Jet packs, bloom and a lack of feedback, feels like nothing connects at all.  

Then anniversary playlist and settings is such a step up, its almost a different game.

There were 0 players in the MLG playlist however so couldn't test that.

Makes me kind of sad that the only game they didn't "remaster" is the only one that is playable now.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The only thing I don't like is the sensitivity on the Xbox One controller is way too tight. I had to lower it from 3 to 1.

Data for those interested (compares X1 pre- and post-patch, as well as 360 v X1 post-patch):

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't know how anyone could go back to that horrible, horrible game.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Horrible? Blasphemous. Halo Reach has had the best custom Game Sandbox and Gamemode choice of Any single Installment. It essentially Molests any other entry in replayability

I posted this when it first became backwards compatible.. There was a different game on the BC list that in my opinion was at least 10x worse than Halo Reach in terms of frame rate drop. I had given that a shot two days ago and it felt much much better. There were frame issues on the original version on 360 as well so it's expected, but it went from being a literal unplayable game to being playable but requires patience lol.

Any other games suffer from frate rate drops that I can test?

Post bloom was fun as hell bro. 

ZBNS is fucking good yo.

And, from a quality perspective, it's one of the greatest games of all time and easily the best Halo title.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I posted this when it first became backwards compatible.. There was a different game on the BC list that in my opinion was at least 10x worse than Halo Reach in terms of frame rate drop. I had given that a shot two days ago and it felt much much better. There were frame issues on the original version on 360 as well so it's expected, but it went from being a literal unplayable game to being playable but requires patience lol.

Any other games suffer from frate rate drops that I can test?

I can't remember for sure, but didn't you say you know someone who works for the BC team? If you do, can you tell him to fix the sensitivity for the Xbox One controller for Reach? I shouldn't be wind milling on 3 or 2. Other than the super tight sensitivity, the Reach BC version is perfect.

Reach had framerate drops on forge maps in the original version, so no issue there ... happy to be able to play this game again, I've logged more games in Reach than any other entry in the series.  Vanilla Reach is pretty bad but I have no clue how people are attacking the post-TU version

Played my first game of BTB heavies on the forge map Asphalt (I think) and it was against a full party. Even going back to Reach and I still get that, lol. The frames didn't seem to drop more than they normally would on the 360 so that was nice. It felt weird playing it and the motion blur was annoying. I actually started to get motion sickness about halfway through the game which might've been partly due to the all grey forge map and the lag. Don't really know. Second game was a 3v3 slayer and two people on the other team quit after the first 30 seconds. Nice.

Bloom is still terrible and I noticed the Ghost felt floaty and not as responsive compared to the H5 version. It kind of reminded of the H1 Ghost on MCC. I must also say that sprinting felt more responsive in H5 with movement. When sprinting, it felt like a struggle trying to turn while in H5 it seems a little easier to do. The aiming movement felt a little tight, but I don't know if it was just a controller sens issue.

I tried Score Attack and it reminded me of what Fire Fight should be instead of H5's abomination version. The campaign was like I remembered and it was refreshing not having to deal with Prometheans except I forgot about those annoying mini shield jackals. The UI was glorious and I don't know why 343 strayed away from that type of menu system. It was also cool seeing all the armor customization variants again. Finally, I forgot how many commendations I still need to get done.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think it's an issue for just reach, or the backwards compatible games. I think the sensitivity issue comes from the x1 controllers themselves. I've always had problems adjusting my sense on X1. Gears ultimate felt weird, all classic games on MCC felt weird to me, the shooters I play that are BC feel weird too. I wouldn't expect a solid fix for this problem, especially through an emulator update.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think it's an issue for just reach, or the backwards compatible games. I think the sensitivity issue comes from the x1 controllers themselves. I've always had problems adjusting my sense on X1. Gears ultimate felt weird, all classic games on MCC felt weird to me, the shooters I play that are BC feel weird too. I wouldn't expect a solid fix for this problem, especially through an emulator update.

100% agree

• Upvote (+1) 1