CorporalWings0

Should sprint be included in Halo moving forward?

238 members have voted

1. 1. Keep or remove sprint

• Remove sprint
    • Keep sprint

I bought an OG xbox just to play CE however i never got into mutiplayer till very very late, but i would still say even though i've done most of my multiplayer gaming on Halos with sprint Halo would be a lot better without it imo.

People like to say things like Halo should "evolve" it needs to "move forward" and of course it should but not at the expense of losing its identity or at the expense of losing the core mechanics that made it so succesful to begin with.

Im fine with some abilities to stay, thrust, slide, clamber, all could work well with a BMS thats faster than H2/H3 with a wider FOV, im in different to smart scope it definitely shouldn't reduce spread and effective range on autos, shottys and increase lunge with sword but I like stabilizers, spartan charge needs to go, end of.

I want to see 343 get creative while still retaining the even starts philosophy, maybe have an armour or special ability as a pick up on map like power ups and power weapons, add to the formula not change it or take away. I also want to see them get more creative with the maps both in design and function maybe more dynamic element, for example like we have see a bit of in H5 on Eden and Rig etc but expanded on maybe.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How is it the best in the series now? There are still a shockingly low amount of social playlist. NO SOCIAL SLAYER, WHAT WORLD AM I LIVING IN. Every time they do add a social list that comes remotely close to being a social place to play normal Halo the MM is so tight I may as well be playing on the MLG mainstage. BTB is a throwaway forge playlist. Warzone is a pay to win borefest.

Fair enough. I'd make the caveat of Halo 3 being better, but Halo 2 didn't have the variety, and I PERSONALLY didn't like the Reach social experience, but that could be just because I didn't like Reach as a whole. I play BtB every once and a while, and the forge maps don't bug me too much. We always end up disliking the dev-made maps anyway, and I generally like the BtB maps we've got in matchmaking now. I really don't play Warzone much because it does end up being a pissing match of who's willing to spend the most REQ cards. I stick to Warzone assault if I ever play that side of matchmaking, and honestly you can do just fine in that playlist without spending a single REQ. Either way, I'd definitely argue for a Social Slayer and a Social Arena (if only so that Team Arena can take on the settings that everybody wants).
  • Upvote (+1) 1

If this game had social slayer, I would be so much better at the game. I hardly ever play the arena maps because I can only play them against to4 champs on shitballs connections, and it's never, ever fun.  If I could just play on the 4v4 maps with decent settings in regular pub games, I would have so much more practice and talent in this game.  But I've been relegated to Big Team, and it's probably 95% of what I play when I play Halo 5.  It's a damn shame too because I don't even dislike the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ya, H5 is one of those where if you don't play for a week it feels like you should just give up forever. Theres no real way to ease your way back in because there's no way to play 4v4 arena social.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ya, H5 is one of those where if you don't play for a week it feels like you should just give up forever. Theres no real way to ease your way back in because there's no way to play 4v4 arena social.

I agree and if they did have a proper social slayer and arena they could introduce competetive settings into the ranked playlist like nerfed autos, no radar, no splinters etc everything the competitive community actually wants.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If this game had social slayer, I would be so much better at the game. I hardly ever play the arena maps because I can only play them against to4 champs on shitballs connections, and it's never, ever fun.  If I could just play on the 4v4 maps with decent settings in regular pub games, I would have so much more practice and talent in this game.  But I've been relegated to Big Team, and it's probably 95% of what I play when I play Halo 5.  It's a damn shame too because I don't even dislike the game.

Yeah it sucks.  All that needs to happen is a team hardcore like playlist with no radar etc and a ranked but more casual team objective playlist.  Maybe they could even add in oddball and KoTH into it .

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's not what hit registration is. HR is how well the game picks up and registers your shots, i.e. how long it takes or how well the servers detect when your shots hit someone and apply the damage. Bullet magnetism is mostly client-side and related to aiming mechanics, which is completely different from hit registration, which is completely server-side and pretty much its own thing.

Halo 3 has terrible hit registration because the game's online netcode is trash. Even if the game had H5-tier bullet magnetism, the shot registration would still be terrible. For example, if you stuck the Suppressor in Halo 3, you'd have problems with shots not registering and the game literally deleting bullets from existence.

Sorry, I guess what I should have said is PERCEIVED hit registration. Leading, smaller hitboxes and spread combined with average netcode all lead to the player questioning the game for every missed shot rather than their skill.

In Halo 5 it's hard to miss. It picks up more of your shots even the ones that would have missed in older Halo titles. Thus your perception of the netcode is probably more positive.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

At this point I'm convinced people only want sprint in the game to "feel" like they are moving faster, but if you make the correct animations, a quick base movement speed would solve the issue. There are hardly any justifiable reasons to have sprint in the game. My personal favorite is "Yeah, but it's balanced." First off, no. Second, if you have to attempt to balance it, that by definition means it is mechanically bad...

At this point I'm convinced most pro-sprint people would still support sprint even if the actual speed of sprint would be slightly slower then BMS because the players arms are moving around and they feel fast..

• Upvote (+1) 8

At this point I'm convinced people only want sprint in the game to "feel" like they are moving faster, but if you make the correct animations, a quick base movement speed would solve the issue. There are hardly any justifiable reasons to have sprint in the game. My personal favorite is "Yeah, but it's balanced." First off, no. Second, if you have to attempt to balance it, that by definition means it is mechanically bad...

A wider FOV would also do the trick

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sorry, I guess what I should have said is PERCEIVED hit registration. Leading, smaller hitboxes and spread combined with average netcode all lead to the player questioning the game for every missed shot rather than their skill.

In Halo 5 it's hard to miss. It picks up more of your shots even the ones that would have missed in older Halo titles. Thus your perception of the netcode is probably more positive.

I realize that Halo 5 has overly generous hitboxes to a frustrating degree, but on the other side of things, there was truly a problem with Halo 3's shot registration. It's not just that it was more difficult or that you had to lead shots. This is a pretty good example, but it completely overlooks the fact that Halo 3 BR had bullets that sometimes just disappeared, making a four shot kill suddenly 5 shots. 

It's not just average netcode. I know that bullet spread is a thing, but that's not a considerable distance enough to be talking about noticeable bullet spread. I understand if a game includes leading shots, but this effect slowed down the game (in my opinion), left most BR battles up to chance, and completely screwed over players with a sub optimal connection. IF this were a feature built around skill and that it was just a matter of account for things with leading shots, but it was a technical issue with the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I realize that Halo 5 has overly generous hitboxes to a frustrating degree, but on the other side of things, there was truly a problem with Halo 3's shot registration. It's not just that it was more difficult or that you had to lead shots. This is a pretty good example, but it completely overlooks the fact that Halo 3 BR had bullets that sometimes just disappeared, making a four shot kill suddenly 5 shots. 

It's not just average netcode. I know that bullet spread is a thing, but that's not a considerable distance enough to be talking about noticeable bullet spread. I understand if a game includes leading shots, but this effect slowed down the game (in my opinion), left most BR battles up to chance, and completely screwed over players with a sub optimal connection. IF this were a feature built around skill and that it was just a matter of account for things with leading shots, but it was a technical issue with the game.

That's a blatantly purposefully misleading video though. Look how slowly he fires the H2 BR to make sure no bullets miss due to recoil. While in H3 he fires as fast as possible causing the tiny amounts of recoil to cause bullets to miss. He also readjusts for the headshot with the H2 BR and doesn't for H3.

I don't know why people do things like this. It undermines the experiment and insults the viewer's intelligence.

• Downvote (-1) 1

That's a blatantly purposefully misleading video though. Look how slowly he fires the H2 BR to make sure no bullets miss due to recoil. While in H3 he fires as fast as possible causing the tiny amounts of recoil to cause bullets to miss. He also readjusts for the headshot with the H2 BR and doesn't for H3.

I don't know why people do things like this. It undermines the experiment and insults the viewer's intelligence.

1. Recoil doesn't do anything. The BR is missing because the random spread is fucking him over.

2. It doesn't matter. Even if he readjusted it, it would net the same result, i.e inconsistency.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I hope The Custom Game browser comes out soon so we can flood the servers with Classic/Evolved Gametypes and I can finally tell Matchmaking to go Fuck itself

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Even with it's issues, H3 BR is still more skill defining than anything Halo 5 has to offer. There is more depth to the H3 BR and you actually have to hit the guy for your shots to register.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 4

There is more depth to the H3 BR and you actually have to hit the guy for your shots to register.

The H3 BR can't even shoot straight, let alone register shots.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Even with it's issues, H3 BR is still more skill defining than anything Halo 5 has to offer. There is more depth to the H3 BR and you actually have to hit the guy for your shots to register.

I'm sorry man, but that's like saying that bloom should have stayed on the Reach DMR because it added depth and defined skill. If that BR were in Halo 5, you'd be straight PISSED, and you'd (rightfully) be making comments on how Halo 5 and 343 are fucking dumb because their BR doesn't shoot right. It's totally fine to be mad about things that 343 did in these games, because they sure aren't even close to perfect, but lets not pretend that everything Bungie touched was made of pure gold.

The H3 BR can't even shoot straight, let alone register shots.

It shoots straight enough for me to have 100,000 kills with it. I can see why people who struggled with the H3 BR like Halo 5 so much. I mean, you're going from a game where the primary weapon has depth and requires skill to master, to a game where none of the weapons have any depth to them and are all overpowered and register even when you miss. Halo 5 is Obama's "everybody's a winner" fake Halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm sorry man, but that's like saying that bloom should have stayed on the Reach DMR because it added depth and defined skill. If that BR were in Halo 5, you'd be straight PISSED, and you'd (rightfully) be making comments on how Halo 5 and 343 are fucking dumb because their BR doesn't shoot right. It's totally fine to be mad about things that 343 did in these games, because they sure aren't even close to perfect, but lets not pretend that everything Bungie touched was made of pure gold.

Yeah, well I have not touched Halo 5 since late November 2015 and have deleted it from my hard drive. The game takes zero skill and has zero depth. It's tied with H4 as the worst Halo game of all time.

It shoots straight enough for me to have 100,000 kills with it. I can see why people who struggled with the H3 BR like Halo 5 so much. I mean, you're going from a game where the primary weapon has depth and requires skill to master, to a game where none of the weapons have any depth to them and are all overpowered and register even when you miss. Halo 5 is Obama's "everybody's a winner" fake Halo game.

Dude who cares? I have more kills than you and even I know the H3 BR is inconsistent. I know H3 is your fav game but c'mon.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

H3 is my favorite game, but it DOES have random spread.

The only skill element that the BR had in halo 3 was lead.

And even then some people didn't like lead

• Upvote (+1) 1

1. Recoil doesn't do anything. The BR is missing because the random spread is fucking him over.

2. It doesn't matter. Even if he readjusted it, it would net the same result, i.e inconsistency.

It does matter though. I know the H3 BR had random spread issues because I played H3. However, based on that video alone I would not be able to come to that conclusion because he's clearly trying to doctor the results.