CorporalWings0

Should sprint be included in Halo moving forward?

238 members have voted

1. 1. Keep or remove sprint

• Remove sprint
    • Keep sprint

There's a lot more votes to keep sprint than I thought there would be.

I thought this was the competitive Halo forum?

how can you be a competitive, knowledgeable Halo player and not be againts sprint?

• Upvote (+1) 6

how can you be a competitive, knowledgeable Halo player and not be againts sprint?

Because we're a competitive community and competitive communities tend to have diverse opinions? It's sort of a given considering how the Halo series basically has seven generations of players who each came from completely different games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not that surprising. It would have been surprising if such a poll was seen around here in around Reach, or Halo 4 era. Even on Halowaypoint around the Halo 4 era you never saw a poll in favor of sprint, and the statistics were often crushing 9 to 1. 

Now you have had Reach, Halo 4 and Halo 5 which has had sprint. A lot of the old ones in favor of no sprint have settled or left. The newer installments draws in a continues stream of members which are in favor of sprint, while there is a steady decline in members of favor no sprint because they leave. If things continues as is, In five years from now this community is probably mostly going to consist of a majority of pro sprinters. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've been around and playing since H:CE, and started watching MLG in Halo 2. I voted to keep sprint. Times are changing, and as much as us OG people would love to have sprint removed, the way the younger generation is these days would result in the game becoming even less popular IMO. It would feel "clunky" and "slow" to the younger generation that is used to more fast paced, quick moving games. 

So I voted to keep sprint not because I like it more, but because I think it's necessary for Halo to get larger AT THIS TIME IN IT'S LIFE.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 17

I suggest visiting the HCS thread if you're confused by the results. Very enlightening.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Because we're a competitive community and competitive communities tend to have diverse opinions?

From what i've noticed when it comes to things like sprint, that isn't true.

I've been around and playing since H:CE, and started watching MLG in Halo 2. I voted to keep sprint. Times are changing, and as much as us OG people would love to have sprint removed, the way the younger generation is these days would result in the game becoming even less popular IMO. It would feel "clunky" and "slow" to the younger generation that is used to more fast paced, quick moving games. 

So I voted to keep sprint not because I like it more, but because I think it's necessary for Halo to get larger AT THIS TIME IN IT'S LIFE.

But sprint is what makes the game feel clunky and slow. Play the new Doom and then play H5. H5 movement feels awful in comparison. You're constantly stopping and starting, slowing down to shoot, and just generally feeling janky as fuck. Doom is just fast.

Sprint in essence puts a cap on how fast base movement speed can be. Due to Halo having long kill times, you spend a lot of time in this slower movement speed. Add to that the fact that sprint often forces the upscaling of maps and this issue because even more intense.

Sprint works in games like COD because you only have to stop sprinting for fractions of seconds to shoot. It still flows. Once you start getting in to kill times above 1 full second sprint starts to work in a counter productive manner. It actually makes the game much slower and less fluid than a simple upping of movement speed would. This is why old school arena shooters and newer games like Doom(which are all much faster and more fluid than H5) don't use sprint. And why Halo never should have introduced it.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It would feel "clunky" and "slow" to the younger generation that is used to more fast paced, quick moving games.

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sprint works better in cod because the vast majority of the time you ADS out of sprint. Getting out of sprint in Halo without scoping feels clunky but most engagements will be within a range that doesn't require scoping. It's clear they are trying to get people to ads more and replicate the cod feel.

Keep sprint out of the core game. Design maps around the base movement speed. Add sprint option in custom games.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yeah Overwatch, CS:GO and Doom are really unpopular and every Halo game that has featured sprint has been super popular.

Lmao

I wouldn't say Doom 2016 is popular, the multiplayer was fast but it wasn't popular.

The younger generation is also keeping Overwatch and CSGO alive. The only people who wouldn't play the game are the COD kiddies who must have sprint.

The younger generation is also keeping Overwatch and CSGO alive. The only people who wouldn't play the game are the COD kiddies who must have sprint.

Those are PC games. Not a direct correlation to console gamers. 

overwatch is also on console.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Right, but cross compatible and has multiplayer on PC as well.

And it's still very popular on console.

Besides that, halo 6 is 99% likely to be on PC with Microsoft putting every Xbox game on PC lately. It's their new strategy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Apparently console gamers are all total idiots. and PC gamers aren't. Anyone's mindset is 20x more adaptive than they think, assuming quality is there. A tougher experience is the novelty that 343 craves to put in their games. They tried to make Halo 5 look tough ("this game has some faaangs" -Quinn) and failed. What's the last "tough" option they have?

And by the way, Halo's trying to appeal to the PC crowd right now, a group which is going to be much more influential in the future.

I wouldn't say Doom 2016 is popular, the multiplayer was fast but it wasn't popular.

1. I was talking about campaign and

2. The multiplayer is not very popular because of reasons unrelated to sprint. Very few people are avoiding doom because there's no sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm going to make a video sometime in the future showing exactly how much Sprint affects level design. I don't even think people realize how much you have to design around this bullshit in Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Why cant there be just a slight and automatic movement acceleration when walking/moving for a longer period of time without doing anything else?

If I run around a huge map for instance without shooting, using any items/skills, throwing grenades, meleeing or other, there could be movement acceleration. One that isnt exponential or limitless (kind of from 20 mph then accelerate to 30 mph but it would stop there).

That might eliminate the nuisance of having to press an additional button all the time and take care of sprint on smaller maps. Those usually involve constant fighting, which would prevent movement acceleration from being triggered.

From what i've noticed when it comes to things like sprint, that isn't true.

It's very much true. The only reason why it's not obvious is because this particular poll is binary.

85% of the voters may want sprint removed, but that 85% can be broken up into segments of people who OG movement speed, people who want sprint-movement speed, people who want movement speed that ramps up over time and fulfills the same purpose, people who want a speed boost as an ability, etc.

They may agree on one aspect, but they still want very different things.

I'm just going to answer no, and want you guys to acknowledge and praise me for the fact that I used restraint, and didn't call people who want sprint stupid, or worse. 

/trump

• Upvote (+1) 2

b-but u are forgettings that teh game haz the soldier 76. 

"Let's have sprinting, but allow shooting while doing it."

"Let's have gradual movement acceleration."

"Let's keep sprint, but allow sprinting in all directions."

Like, why though?  I don't see why any substitute for sprint is needed.

About "shooting while sprinting" though:

-You have a reduced cone of aim, as if you aim too much to one side too fast you exit sprint.

-You can't strafe while sprinting, so shots will be harder to line up and you'll be easier to hit as well.

-Essentially what I'm saying is even if you could shoot while sprinting it wouldn't be very practical.

-Amusingly some people suggest nerfs to accuracy while sprinting on top of this, as if you aren't disadvantaged enough already.

-Sprint and its impacts on the game still exist obviously, just in a slightly reduced state.

• Upvote (+1) 4

b-but u are forgettings that teh game haz the soldier 76. 

"Let's have sprinting, but allow shooting while doing it."

"Let's have gradual movement acceleration."

"Let's keep sprint, but allow sprinting in all directions."

Like, why though?  I don't see why any substitute for sprint is needed.

About "shooting while sprinting" though:

-You have a reduced cone of aim, as if you aim too much to one side too fast you exit sprint.

-You can't strafe while sprinting, so shots will be harder to line up and you'll be easier to hit as well.

-Essentially what I'm saying is even if you could shoot while sprinting it wouldn't be very practical.

-Amusingly some people suggest nerfs to accuracy while sprinting on top of this, as if you aren't disadvantaged enough already.

-Sprint and its impacts on the game still exist obviously, just in a slightly reduced state.

Ramirez....

We are in Team Beyond, where people have a brain.

Not like *cough* Waypoint *cough*

It feels good to see you here

But yeah, I agree with EVERYTHING you said.

Including the punctuation

Yeah, italicized was just joking about some of the actual shit I've seen on Waypoint.

Interesting thing about Overwatch:

Lucio has a speed boost mechanic and is one of the most played heroes in competitive play.

Soldier 76 has more generic sprinting and is one of the least played heroes in competitive play (also in quickplay in my experience)

Obviously not just for those reasons alone, but an interesting fact regardless.