CorporalWings0

Should sprint be included in Halo moving forward?

236 members have voted

1. 1. Keep or remove sprint

• Remove sprint
    • Keep sprint

Simple question, should Halo 6 and onwards include sprint? Personally, I want sprint removed, and I want to gauge TB's opinion on this, similar to my radar thread. The thread will be anonymous, so don't worry if you have an unpopular opinion.

@@Deez @@Sal1ent @@Bravo

SPRINT PROS

- Immersion

- Risk vs reward

- You move faster (Waypoint)

SPRINT CONS

- Maps are stretched to accommodate the different speeds

- Forced to put gun down to effectively move around the map

- Death is less penalized, as you are able to return fast to the action

- Movement outside of sprint is sluggish to justify you sprinting

I know this list is pretty weak so far, post your suggestions.

• Upvote (+1) 4

In a vacuum I'd say get rid of it, but a lot of H5's best movement techniques come from transitioning from sprint into another form of movement with a little physics assistance and I've personally grown to enjoy watching and playing with those techniques.

It's no longer just sprint, and that makes it a bit harder to weigh in on for me. I guess I could go either way and not mind just as long as it's not as inherently negative to the game as it was in Reach and H4 and the alternative is a bit quicker and more responsive than in the original trilogy. Execution matters a lot more than the root idea sometimes.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Ooh, a sprint poll. Takes me back to the 11% debacle. Good times.. :holmes:

Off the top of my head, have fast base speed, then have it so if you walk forward without strafing (too much) for long enough (say one second) you see the sort of wind lines we have now and are able to pull off mechanics.

This.  This is what I've been saying.  I feel like it's the solution.

We all know no will win, but they aren't taking sprint out.

its been in every Halo since Reach with the exception of H2A, which doesnt really count

In a vacuum I'd say get rid of it, but a lot of H5's best movement techniques come from transitioning from sprint into another form of movement with a little physics assistance and I've personally grown to enjoy watching and playing with those techniques.

It's no longer just sprint, and that makes it a bit harder to weigh in on for me. I guess I could go either way and not mind just as long as it's not as inherently negative to the game as it was in Reach and H4 and the alternative is a bit quicker and more responsive than in the original trilogy. Execution matters a lot more than the root idea sometimes.

Never has someone else's words summed up my own thoughts so accurately.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know, really. I hated Sprint in Reach and Halo 4. In Halo 5, in MY OPINION , it plays very smoothly. Id rather have sprint be exactly how it is in Halo 5 for the next Halo, OR....or take it out and make the movement speed a bit faster than it was in Halo 2/3. But...keep clamber. I think clamber works beautifully in Halo 5. 

Seeing as I've played more of the Bungie's Halos than 343s, if they remove sprint BUT evolve...pun intended...on the movement mechanics Bungie built for their games, then Id be happy. But that sounds difficult in its own accord.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was worried before I voted, but I should have non Team Beyond knows what's up. Sprint plays well in H5, but if I were designing the next game I wouldn't include it and like many others have said increase the base movement speed and probably the gravity as well. That depends if you want to keep clamber or not. 

I don't think there's any way 343 doesn't include sprint in H6 though. They're too used to designing maps that need sprint. Could you imagine playing Coli without sprint? Would take hours to get around. 

I was worried before I voted, but I should have non Team Beyond knows what's up. Sprint plays well in H5, but if I were designing the next game I wouldn't include it and like many others have said increase the base movement speed and probably the gravity as well. That depends if you want to keep clamber or not.

I don't think there's any way 343 doesn't include sprint in H6 though. They're too used to designing maps that need sprint. Could you imagine playing Coli without sprint? Would take hours to get around.

Their maps take too long to navigate regardless.

If you round the numbers, it's 11 percent in favour of sprint and 89 percent in favour of no sprint (at the moment I am viewing the thread). What do you think of that 343 :kappa:

Option C: Get rid of sprint, add strafe-jumping/rocket jump   :tongue:

Halo gains its popularity back as everyone is blown away with the new skill-based movement, and every shooter is now forced to include the god particle known as SJ.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Custom game browser will force 343 to adjust official settings (both Matchmaking and tournaments) to match the demographics of customs. So while sprint will most likely remain (although it's not as certain as most think), there will gradually be more and more dev support for Evolved settings. They'll also be less likely to remove sprint entirely, but that's only relevant if Matchmaking is relevant, which it may not be to the same extent in a few years.

Also consider that the pro-sprint/no-sprint social divide will also fade over time. People talk about it -> they get bored of talking about it -> they talk about it less -> they feel more comfortable with the opposing idea (which has already happened on Beyond but not Waypoint yet) -> 343's views mirror this and they don't see adding sprintless gametypes as so much of a "statement" as they would have at the start of H4.

But right now, focus should be on bringing as many people into Evolved customs as possible. Watch what happens.