CorporalWings0

Should sprint be included in Halo moving forward?

236 members have voted

1. 1. Keep or remove sprint

• Remove sprint
    • Keep sprint

Well, not for arena. But i honestly like the idea of armor abilities. Or at least equipment.

I would like sprint to stay a function in things like warzone, campaign, firefight, possibly btb. But competitive Halo with no sprint just feels so damn good.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I'd love for Halo 6 to have no abilities mm standard, but make them available in custom games just so the casuals can feel like us for a change.

• Upvote (+1) 7

They were fun in social settings

I disagree. Though I don't really look for goofy and wacky in my halo social. I still like good, deep, fair gameplay. Just with a more laid back atmosphere.

I disagree. Though I don't really look for goofy and wacky in my halo social. I still like good, deep, fair gameplay. Just with a more laid back atmosphere.

They are good for fuck-around games. The more player abilities you have, the more variety you'll get in wacky gametypes, and (while it's not my thing) there's a huge segment of the Halo population that loves that stuff. I'd say it'd be cool to have that stuff in, but only have it there for customs and action sack gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's not what hit registration is. HR is how well the game picks up and registers your shots, i.e. how long it takes or how well the servers detect when your shots hit someone and apply the damage. Bullet magnetism is mostly client-side and related to aiming mechanics, which is completely different from hit registration, which is completely server-side and pretty much its own thing.

Halo 3 has terrible hit registration because the game's online netcode is trash. Even if the game had H5-tier bullet magnetism, the shot registration would still be terrible. For example, if you stuck the Suppressor in Halo 3, you'd have problems with shots not registering and the game literally deleting bullets from existence.

The only reason H5 has better reg than any other Halo is because of the absurd amount of latency compensation in the netcode. That's why people constantly trade, and SWAT and Grifball are now a complete waste of time.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

It shoots straight enough for me to have 100,000 kills with it. I can see why people who struggled with the H3 BR like Halo 5 so much. I mean, you're going from a game where the primary weapon has depth and requires skill to master, to a game where none of the weapons have any depth to them and are all overpowered and register even when you miss. Halo 5 is Obama's "everybody's a winner" fake Halo game.

lmao you even managed to string in Obama what a champ
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Things like the Trip Mine, Grav Lift, Power Drain and occasionally the bubble shield in btb were tons of fun when I played socially, I would love stuff like that as well as some fresh ideas to be implemented in future Halo's.

Things like the Trip Mine, Grav Lift, Power Drain and occasionally the bubble shield in btb were tons of fun when I played socially, I would love stuff like that as well as some fresh ideas to be implemented in future Halo's.

I think equipment would be fantastic for future Halo games. Honestly, if they were all in the form of grenades that you could throw anywhere, I'd love it. Equipment was probably the least broken addition to the original Halo sandbox.

Obama's "everybody's a winner" fake Halo game.

"No Child Left Behind" -George W. Bush (Rep)

I can play this game too.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Even with it's issues, H3 BR is still more skill defining than anything Halo 5 has to offer. There is more depth to the H3 BR and you actually have to hit the guy for your shots to register.

lmao

Nevermind the fact that when you DO hit the guy, it still didn't register, right?  Man I miss routinely 10 shotting people. Wasn't Halo 3 great?

H5 pistol fights are more skill-demanding than H3 BR fights, hands down. It's cool if you don't like the spartan abilities and can't stand the OP autos. I know where you're coming from there. But to deny that H5 pistol fights are difficult just makes you look ignorant, which you probably are because it sounds like you played the game for like an hour.  I'd be willing to bet you've been in less than 50 pistol vs pistol battles in this game, so maybe you aren't qualified to speak on the matter.

And besides, it's not even like H3 BR fights were hard either. It wasn't tough to lead the thing, especially with default movement speed where neither your strafe nor your crouch did fuck all.  The only hard part was hoping your packet loss was low enough that the guy would actually agree to die in less than 10 shots.

• Upvote (+1) 5

lmao

Nevermind the fact that when you DO hit the guy, it still didn't register, right?  Man I miss routinely 10 shotting people. Wasn't Halo 3 great?

H5 pistol fights are more skill-demanding than H3 BR fights, hands down. It's cool if you don't like the spartan abilities and can't stand the OP autos. I know where you're coming from there. But to deny that H5 pistol fights are difficult just makes you look ignorant, which you probably are because it sounds like you played the game for like an hour.  I'd be willing to bet you've been in less than 50 pistol vs pistol battles in this game, so maybe you aren't qualified to speak on the matter.

And besides, it's not even like H3 BR fights were hard either. It wasn't tough to lead the thing, especially with default movement speed where neither your strafe nor your crouch did fuck all.  The only hard part was hoping your packet loss was low enough that the guy would actually agree to die in less than 10 shots.

The percentage of pistol vs. pistol encounters in H5 is very small in comparison to the percentage of BR vs. BR encounters that you get in Halo 3. This will be an unpopular opinion, but I still consider the H3 BR more skill defining than the H5 pistol in that it has more depth with leading your shot and spread. After using the H3 BR for so long, there is a feeling of becoming one with the weapon. I doubt anyone gets that feeling with the depthless H5 pistol. And who cares anyways, because any logical player in H5(ironic, I know) will be looking to swap it out for a rifle, first thing after they spawn. Halo 5 is like paper, rock, scissors. Whoever has the more powerful weapon in an encounter, depending on the range of the battle, is going to win. There is no structure or rule to Halo 5. Just a clusterfuck of a weapon sandbox compounded by game breaking Spartan abilities.

As much as people bitch about H3 movement speed, I will take it over players being able to zip around like Spiderman. I mean, the base movement in H3 could be upped a bit, but at the same time, I had no problem with it. Apparently, millions of others who played the game consistently didn't either. I enjoy being able to see my enemy and fight it out with him, rather than shooting him a couple of times and having him flee like a bitch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Modern AAA gaming(and specifically FPS) at large is just a sad state of affairs honestly. and i dont believe its bias or nostalgia. The last thing i want in my games are pseudo-realism(REAL realistic FPS games actually dont do well contrary to popular belief) and brown, black, gray colors. Again,that is not to be confused with great REALISTIC FPS like Rainbow Six 1-3 and modern day Arma like I said, those games brought great innovation, gameplay, and their own style of play. I respect RS just as much as I do Quake for example.If you are a new gamer, try going back and looking at how vibrant the FPS genre used to be with creative game IP's before everything became boring pseudo-realistic modern military shooters and clones. Just to name a few of those i remember that really stands out.

Shadow Warrior

Blood 1 and 2

Duke Nukem 3D.

Quake 1,2,3

Unreal/Unreal Tournament 99/UT 2004

Serious Sam first and second encounter "really enjoyed these" they were different and the first fps to put hundreds of enemies on the screen,

Halflife 1 and 2

Wolfenstein 3d & Spear of destiny.

Doom 1 and 2.

System Shock 2

Rise of the triad.

Deus Ex 1 and 3

PowerSlave "it had another name also" exsumed or something

Corridor 7

BlakeStone 1 and 2.

TImesplitters

Tribes 1+2

Modern AAA devs are freakin lazy or hand-cuffed(by publishers assuming) and are far too quick to just settle for psedo-realism or "immersion" 343 devs would say as the basis for all of their decisions over actual innovative and challenging gameplay mechanics and gameplay.

The ONLY reason why sprint, clamber, spartan charge, and ADS are in Halo, make no mistake about it, is because the modern military shooters use the same(or similar) mechanics and 343 thinks attracting that type of player to Halo is more important than making a quality and innovative Halo game for their fan-base, and that has been their MO since they took over the franchise. I honestly cant even stomach AAA FPS games anymore, the genre needs a revival or a jolt of new life now more than it ever has if its to regain its former greatness.

There is even more i cant even remember, but the amount of variety the fps genre had back then was actually kind of amazing. You never knew what to expect from a new FPS game.

In the recent years i can name very few fps games i actually enjoyed. Duke Nukem Forever shows how badly it goes when you try and "modernize" a good design with spawning waves of monsters in one place. on rails levels. weapon carry limit because of realism. Had that game had levels like Duke 3D it would have been amazing.

Bioshock infinite had amazing story, but mediocre gameplay, goes from arena to arena, and not in a good way like the Serious Sam games. Then they put some artificial weapon limit on and for what? they say its for players to make interesting choices, yet everyone i know and i played Bioshock infinite myself, was to find the 2 best weapons and use them through the entire game. 

To be honest health regen has not really done much for me either. Not only does it add challenge to not have it, but you actually have to go out there and search the level and find secrets, obviously in a on rails shooter, they dont allow to do that, so health regen was born. Why is it in ALL modern AAA games now?

For me the thing i miss most about shooters from my childhood is, finding secrets, open levels with multiple paths to go around. colors in my games. ability to carry all the weapons i want. simple but skillful and in depth movement based on player autonomy, not handholding the player through every level like were stupid, playing different shooters for different experiences,ect.. i guess that is why the build engine games and serious sam is some of my favorite of all time, serious sam games has insane amount of secrets and variety much like DOOM.

It just makes me sad that FPS has become such a shallow shell of it self. If this continues the FPS genre will die out, mark my words, at some point even the hardcore CoD and MMS players will say stop and what then, what can they do? When they conditioned an entire generation of players to only like call of duty type/MMS fps gameplay and 90 percent of the player-base has no concept of dodging, no concept of exploration, no concept of clans, no concept of community past a year at best before moving on, no concept of 3D map design, no concept of weapon variety, no concept of the FPS genre before annual releases and F2P money-sucking tactics which is just as bad, and new IP's being truly "ground-breaking" because of true innovation and creativity they exhibit compared to other games. Its just troubling to think about the present state and future of the genre, its truly soul-crushing to me and I know im not the only one.

• Upvote (+1) 7

There may have been a time where I would have said 'yes' or would otherwise be completely indifferent. 

But the game literally doesn't play correctly when finding fights is faster than being in them. Half the time you get into an engagement in Halo 4 or 5 you have to worry about getting 2v1'ed before it's over because traffic is literally moving faster around you and that overpowers teamshot immensely.

Apparently it also encourages really awful spawn systems, because the majority of maps in Halo 5 just spawn the other team behind you if you push them back to spawn. There's no map control. I'm at wit's end with what it does to Halo.

Yea map control is now 100% about rotating around spawns and collapsing on them for pretty much every gametype now. It's annoying because I feel like strategy is ultimately the same for every gametype. Doesn't help that you can usually get into any "power position" from more than 3 ways. The "3 ways into an area rule" was the best design for keeping map flow consistent. Now that you can soar in from 10 new spots plus the normal 3 ways in, it just waters down the game into a rotate/collapse fest since there's too many ways into an area with sprint/thrust. The unique strats are forever gone unless we get faster kill times, sprint gets removed OR the routes of the maps just get more strict into areas to make for cleaner encounters. (Example: Truth shouldn't have a hole from bottom to top mid. You shouldn't be able to jump from the base to top mid either. That power position is so weak because of a way in from EVERY PLACE on the map).

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lot of discussion with Halo 3's BR.

I'm just gonna give my input.

If halo 3's BR had good netcode, and no random spread.......

I'd think it would take much more skill to use than most other halo's

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lot of discussion with Halo 3's BR.

I'm just gonna give my input.

If halo 3's BR had good netcode, and no random spread.......

I'd think it would take much more skill to use than most other halo's

It just takes a level of skill to lead your shot that made Halo so interesting. It really helped to turn on kids.

The percentage of pistol vs. pistol encounters in H5 is very small in comparison to the percentage of BR vs. BR encounters that you get in Halo 3. This will be an unpopular opinion, but I still consider the H3 BR more skill defining than the H5 pistol in that it has more depth with leading your shot and spread. After using the H3 BR for so long, there is a feeling of becoming one with the weapon. I doubt anyone gets that feeling with the depthless H5 pistol. And who cares anyways, because any logical player in H5(ironic, I know) will be looking to swap it out for a rifle, first thing after they spawn. Halo 5 is like paper, rock, scissors. Whoever has the more powerful weapon in an encounter, depending on the range of the battle, is going to win. There is no structure or rule to Halo 5. Just a clusterfuck of a weapon sandbox compounded by game breaking Spartan abilities.

As much as people bitch about H3 movement speed, I will take it over players being able to zip around like Spiderman. I mean, the base movement in H3 could be upped a bit, but at the same time, I had no problem with it. Apparently, millions of others who played the game consistently didn't either. I enjoy being able to see my enemy and fight it out with him, rather than shooting him a couple of times and having him flee like a bitch.

Everything you said has merit, except that H5 pistol battles have no depth and that they are uncommon. Starting around high plat through diamond, pistol fights are extremely common, and the magnum is usually people's ToD.  And while it's true that you don't need to lead or mitigate spread, you do have to account for a faster strafe, an effective crouch, single shot (no partial credit), midfight thrust (which by itself has a ton of depth), and learning to shoot out of thrust to keep your rate of fire up. H5 pistol fights are fun, intense, and very skillful. I suggest you have a few more of them before writing them off, because in that specific topic, you just sound flat out inaccurate.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Everything you said has merit, except that H5 pistol battles have no depth and that they are uncommon. Starting around high plat through diamond, pistol fights are extremely common, and the magnum is usually people's ToD.  And while it's true that you don't need to lead or mitigate spread, you do have to account for a faster strafe, an effective crouch, single shot (no partial credit), midfight thrust (which by itself has a ton of depth), and learning to shoot out of thrust to keep your rate of fire up. H5 pistol fights are fun, intense, and very skillful. I suggest you have a few more of them before writing them off, because in that specific topic, you just sound flat out inaccurate.

Don't do it. Brad Pitt doesn't do well with reason, as evidence has shown. Just keep your distance, it's like dealing with a Melvin Prime®.

• Upvote (+1) 1

All this is definitely true. The aiming knocks it down a few notches though.

To me H5's aiming is just as much a hindered to fun and skill as H3's hit detection was.

• Upvote (+1) 1