Sign in to follow this  
AfterLife2222

We need more discussion on Halo 5 look mechanics being tied to latency

I have never really noticed this problem tbh

Some people don't notice input lag, are okay with 30fps, are okay with 720p, etc. It's okay though, some people just have defects they can't control. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Some people don't notice input lag, are okay with 30fps, are okay with 720p, etc. It's okay though, some people just have defects they can't control.

Lol this isn't as obvious as you are making it to be.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Not played halo 5 for several months now, and I can still remember having nightmares about this issue. I have very low ping 5-15 ms on average in every game I play on console and pc and also have 100down 18up on a connection with literally no jitter/noise. Only on halo 5, doesn't happen in any other game and It may be a feature of 'lag compensation' as every 2-3 games I played I felt like my aim went to s***,  and made me feel that my aim is inconsistent. This demotivated me to stop playing the only game I played for the better part of a decade for several hours per day, yet when I play other games on both console and pc I have a consistently strong/accurate aim. More notably on overwatch on console where I had one of the highest weapon accuracy for hitscan heroes in the world (Mcree etc.) before I stopped playing that as well. All the evidence (at least for me) is there to back up the theory that there is an aiming issue with halo 5.

Anyone who thinks connection has anything to do with aiming or bringing up the menu does anything seriously needs to take their tinfoil hat off.

Halo 5's aiming is just shit. That simple.

As an Australian who regularly cannot even find games on "balanced" searching and is forced to play on pooreigner servers near constantly. The Aiming simply doesn't change. It's just constantly shit.

All you need to do is go from MCC, hell, even Blops 3 and then play H5. H5 just feels like hot garbage.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Anyone who thinks connection has anything to do with aiming or bringing up the menu does anything seriously needs to take their tinfoil hat off.

Halo 5's aiming is just shit. That simple.

As an Australian who regularly cannot even find games on "balanced" searching and is forced to play on pooreigner servers near constantly. The Aiming simply doesn't change. It's just constantly shit.

All you need to do is go from MCC, hell, even Blops 3 and then play H5. H5 just feels like hot garbage.

This makes sense as well.

I've always thought that H5's aiming issues have something to do with 343 messing with acceleration jumps to try to compensate for the assumed increase in game speed.

It's almost as if they wanted people to be able to aim precisely with a slower sensitivity but also be able to turn very quickly. The result are these awkward jumps in aim acceleration. Which is why the aiming issue is most prevalent when trying to keep up with sudden, quick thrusting players because you switch from "aiming" mode to "turning" mode. Then your start windmilling all over because you're trying to aim but the game thinks you're trying to turn.

I've heard that it's related to the dynamic resolution, frame rate, etc.

Do we have solid proof that it's related to connection?

This.

I'm 100% convinced that the "heavy" aim is attached to the dynamic resolution. I believe that another issue plaguing Halo 5 aim is that there is not as much lag compensation compared to previous Halo's. For example in Halo Reach even with latency it was very obvious if a shot should register or not. In Halo 5, the latency compensation is super weird.Some shots I think are 100% misses somehow hit and vice versa.

Dynamic resolution breaks aim (which explains why the beta and PC version, which both run at a stable resolution, run perfect) and the weird latency compensation/magnetism that affect shot registration.

I am convinced they are two separate issues. 

@@Deez @@Sal1ent any insight?

• Upvote (+1) 3

This.

I'm 100% convinced that the "heavy" aim is attached to the dynamic frame rate. I believe that another issue plaguing Halo 5 aim is that there is not as much lag compensation compared to previous Halo's. For example in Halo Reach even with latency it was very obvious if a shot should register or not. In Halo 5, the latency compensation is super weird.Some shots I think are 100% misses somehow hit and vice versa.

Dynamic resolution breaks aim (which explains why the beta and PC version, which both run at a stable frame rate, run perfect) and the weird latency compensation/magnetism that affect shot registration.

I hope that isn't the case, because then we are fucked. The only thing I can think of that would lead me to believe that this isn't the case is that not a single person so far, myself included, has complained about this on LAN.

This.

I'm 100% convinced that the "heavy" aim is attached to the dynamic frame rate. I believe that another issue plaguing Halo 5 aim is that there is not as much lag compensation compared to previous Halo's. For example in Halo Reach even with latency it was very obvious if a shot should register or not. In Halo 5, the latency compensation is super weird.Some shots I think are 100% misses somehow hit and vice versa.

Dynamic resolution breaks aim (which explains why the beta and PC version, which both run at a stable frame rate, run perfect) and the weird latency compensation/magnetism that affect shot registration.

I assume the first was just a typo?

I assume the first was just a typo?

Yessir. Fixed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't see how latency could be tied to aiming.  Dynamic resolutions or framerate yes, if its using pixels or tick rate for the calculation, but latency doesn't make sense to me.  The only thing that would make sense for latency is if every movement you made on screen had to be verified before it would show on yours.  Even with a low ping of say 50, that would be 3 - 4 frames of input lag all the time, plus the one frame you are probably getting from your monitor already.  If this were the case people with pings over 100, of which there are a lot, would be able to literally see the input lag.  There would be a bajillion videos of people showing their screen and their controller at the same time.  The problem doesn't seem to be pure input lag though, its more like a sudden drop in sense/accel that you can't quite fix.  But that's just me knowing how the internet works.

Generally when this happens, i don't notice it for the whole game.  It will start during the game, then be stuck like that for the rest of the match.

I think its tied to the dynamic resolution or framerate.  Does someone know of a forge map with some scripted event that will hammer the framerate and force the resolution to drop then let it come back up again?  I would be interested to see if the heavy aim starts after that but is fine beforehand.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hope that isn't the case, because then we are fucked. The only thing I can think of that would lead me to believe that this isn't the case is that not a single person so far, myself included, has complained about this on LAN.

Unfortunately there are so few "lans" that we don't have a huge sample size.  I could swear I have heard people bitch about it on LAN though.  Or maybe that was Hamy's ghost melee...