Sign in to follow this  
Bring Halo Back

Halo/Xbox Rant

This is the second rant i uploaded to my channel where i talk about the Xbox One, MCC and Halo 5. this is only part 1 of 4 so i dont cover everything in this video. I made this video becuz i really needed to get some of my thoughts out there becuz i know im not the only one who feels this way.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This is the second rant i uploaded to my channel where i talk about the Xbox One, MCC and Halo 5. this is only part 1 of 4 so i dont cover everything in this video. I made this video becuz i really needed to get some of my thoughts out there becuz i know im not the only one who feels this way.

"If Halo 6 was like Quake with increased movement speed Halo fans ain't gonna like that!" 

Guess you never played CE? 

• Downvote (-1) 3

"If Halo 6 was like Quake with increased movement speed Halo fans ain't gonna like that!" 

I hope your not saying that Halo CE is like quake becuz the 2 games are drastically different from each other. they are not even close to being similar games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hope your not saying that Halo CE is like quake becuz the 2 games are drastically different from each other. they are not even close to being similar games.

Not about similarity, but CE featured fast base movement and arena based gameplay. Obviously not the same game, but CE was drastically different from games like 2 or 3 tbh. H2 felt faster than CE but dual wielding sucked for comp. H3 was a lot slower than CE and had some questionable game design features. Reach was reach and 4 was the low point. H5 went back to some of Halo's roots IMO with balanced gameplay and good launch maps. 

Not about similarity, but CE featured fast base movement and arena based gameplay. Obviously not the same game, but CE was drastically different from games like 2 or 3 tbh. H2 felt faster than CE but dual wielding sucked for comp. H3 was a lot slower than CE and had some questionable game design features. Reach was reach and 4 was the low point. H5 went back to some of Halo's roots IMO with balanced gameplay and good launch maps. 

I get what you are trying to say but Halo 5 made so many drastic changes that were not for the better and actually strayed far far away from halos roots.

I get what you are trying to say but Halo 5 made so many drastic changes that were not for the better and actually strayed far far away from halos roots.

Well Bungie with Halo 3 added abilities like bubble shield which broke the sandbox more than giving the same armor abilities to everyone. Personally I could do without sprint or spartan charge in MP, but those are nothing compared to what Halo 4 was. To me Halo 5 is a solid Halo title and I hope they build on what they started. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Every Halo game has like the same base movement speed in world units/second.

The FOV makes it feel faster.

And the TTK makes the game feel faster.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Debatable.

Everyone has the same base things available. Same loadout, abilities, and chances for kills. All about how well you want to use them. 

Every Halo game has like the same base movement speed in world units/second.

The FOV makes it feel faster.

And the TTK makes the game feel faster.

Point still stands. CE was the pinnacle of comp Halo which you have said before many a time. I still play it on PC from time to time because Blood Gulch CTF and Team Snipers on ratrace are some of my favorite all time map/gamemode combos. 

A Halo game with fast movement, effective crouch strafing, 90 FOV, strict hitboxes, and hitscan weapons weapons followed by tweaked typical "Halo weapons" would be the best Halo ever. 

But it aint happening, so just deal with it.

A Halo game with fast movement, effective crouch strafing, 90 FOV, strict hitboxes, and projectile weapons followed by tweaked typical "Halo weapons" would be the best Halo ever.

Ftfy

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Point still stands. CE was the pinnacle of comp Halo which you have said before many a time. I still play it on PC from time to time because Blood Gulch CTF and Team Snipers on ratrace are some of my favorite all time map/gamemode combos.

The point doesn't stand. Halo would not work well with Quake's movement speed. The pistol is already hard enough to use without even faster speeds. A thumbstick just can't keep up so players need to be slowed down to compensate. It's perfectly balanced.

Ftfy

Hitscan SHITS on projectile games when it's comes to online console FPSs. If a developer could bust out a projectile system where lead was the same regardless of connection, then I would prefer that. But seeing how it's turned out in many games is enough to just say fuck it. The amount of lead difference between on and off host for Halo 1 is far too much even.

I know Halo 5 isn't the best, and I haven't played it more than a few hours before getting bored, but I don't know how anyone could want something different when it comes to the crispy hit detection, especially comparing it to Halo 2 and Halo 3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

A Halo game with fast movement, effective crouch strafing, 90 FOV, strict hitboxes, and hitscan weapons weapons followed by tweaked typical "Halo weapons" would be the best Halo ever. 

Let's assume that 343 hired the necessary consultants to enable them to create such a game.  The game would still need a ranking system that actually worked, and a way for Americans to not have to play against players overseas.  Sure some guy in a 3rd world country might complain that it takes forever for him to find games, but at least when he found them it wouldn't be as laggy.

I've honestly never seen such a group of "yes men" as 343 employees are.  Management says "don't talk about MCC" and they fall in line like sheep with no voice of their own.  How do these people sleep at night?  

Hitscan SHITS on projectile games when it's comes to online console FPSs. If a developer could bust out a projectile system where lead was the same regardless of connection, then I would prefer that. But seeing how it's turned out in many games is enough to just say fuck it. The amount of lead difference between on and off host for Halo 1 is far too much even.

I know Halo 5 isn't the best, and I haven't played it more than a few hours before getting bored, but I don't know how anyone could want something different when it comes to the crispy hit detection, especially comparing it to Halo 2 and Halo 3.

Halo 5 doesn't have good hit detection. It just has a huge margin of error on bullet magnetism.

As for on vs offhost, that's why you play on a dedicated server. NHE plays amazing and the pistol is sufficiently difficult at range because of projectile ballistics. This lets skilled players be aggressive when moving across the open field. Being stuck at red in hang em High would be even worse with hitscan.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The point doesn't stand. Halo would not work well with Quake's movement speed. The pistol is already hard enough to use without even faster speeds. A thumbstick just can't keep up so players need to be slowed down to compensate. It's perfectly balanced.

Never said it had to be Quake speed. I said CE was the fastest Halo. And I'm coming from a PC perspective not console. 

I guess you've never played Quake? I think by "increased movement speed" he probably meant flying around the map at extreme speeds, don't you think? Wouldn't that be the "common sense" interpretation?

H2 felt faster than CE 

I said CE was the fastest Halo

Yeah, but like, no you didn't.

Again, what the hell do you mean by fastest? wu/s for players is almost the exact same for at least the first three Halo's, check the values yourself.  Average TTK? Ugh ttk is pretty fast in Warzone, especially late game when everyone is running around with PWs. 

Part 2 of what I'm saying: I think you already understand what I'm saying, but there are some great videos that emphasize what VinnyMendoza and I are saying that I'd like others to see. FOV has a massive impact on what we perceive as "speed":

• Upvote (+1) 1

> 90 fov

tf is wrong with you? 105 fov masterrace

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think he means at least 90 lol... compared to Halo 3 I will take it.

Even Halo 5 feels so zoomed in. I think part of the reason Halo 5 feels so sluggish and hard to keep up with people is because the FOV is so bad. I was playing Soul Flame's 1-to-1 scale Imminent remake in Halo 5 and every room felt so cramped because I couldn't see anything to the sides.

90 degrees is sort of the sweet spot.  Not too cramped, but not too uncomfortable and unrealistic either.  It's the bare minimum that these kinds of games should be using.

I don't really understand why they make the FoV hover around 60-70 degrees in most of the Halo games.  I don't think a higher FoV would really take that much more resources, and Ce plays fine at 86-108 degrees (singleplayer-splitscreen).  Personally prefer that 108, feels great while not looking too silly.

90 degrees is sort of the sweet spot.  Not too cramped, but not too uncomfortable and unrealistic either.  It's the bare minimum that these kinds of games should be using.

I don't really understand why they make the FoV hover around 60-70 degrees in most of the Halo games.  I don't think a higher FoV would really take that much more resources, and Ce plays fine at 86-108 degrees (singleplayer-splitscreen).  Personally prefer that 108, feels great while not looking too silly.

The theory behind FoV in FPS's is that it should mimic what feels natural while considering distance from the screen and screen resolution/size, so naturally console games have a lower FoV to compensate for the fact that they are "traditionally" played in a living room/couch setup as opposed to a monitor setup, while PC games are usually higher in FoV since you typically play those while sitting near a monitor.. Personally I feel like 80 to 110 covers the whole spectrum without ever veering into binocular or fisheye territory, but that's just my opinion.