CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

You'll get tired once we get to the 3rd tournament watching it over and over.

Is this the only competitive gametype? I thought they were just showcasing this mode.

Is this the only competitive gametype? I thought they were just showcasing this mode.

it's just for the open, execution will at the next LAN. it's a comp gears staple.

As of right now, yes. BUT, there are other gametypes that can be included in the competitive competitions as well. There is plenty of room for expansion with this game. 

Goddamnit Moa. The sig amplifies it. 

FIrst pages and pages of the same circlejerk. 

Then pages and pages of Gears. 

Now this. 

Mods are worthless here. 

I can't tell if this was a joke or not considering the first line was talking about that Moa gif. But keep in mind that if the mods removed those posts like they have done in the past, they will be blasted for removing good conversation, especially considering this conversation was brought up partially because of a scrim that Beyond hosted for $500.

I don't know, screwed if you do screwed if you don't I guess in regards to moderating posts more strictly.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Would anyone here even be interested in testing no radar 8s? I feel like the only way we can get this to happen is through testing. I'd be down for doing some, but I'd be pretty useless as I don't have a mic.

We can have a thread with a list of GT's to go with and times to play.

Actually taking initiative and putting our thoughts on how it plays would get even more attention from 343i. IDK if the pros/343i are going to do the testing so we may as well do it ourselves.

Would anyone here even be interested in testing no radar 8s? I feel like the only way we can get this to happen is through testing. I'd be down for doing some, but I'd be pretty useless as I don't have a mic.

Actually taking initiative and putting our thoughts on how it plays would get even more attention from 343i. IDK if the pros/343i are going to do the testing so we may as well do it ourselves.

i'm down

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You'll get tired once we get to the 3rd tournament watching it over and over.

OK? Honest question. Why?

On a certain level, I can understand the desire for variety, but when has this every REALLY been a problem in sports? Does football have different game-types? No, and it all takes place on a green rectangle of exactly the same size every single game, yet people aren't bored of that (full discloser: I find football boring). This is true of pretty much every non-e-sport. MOBAs don't have multiple game modes. Counter Strike doesn't have multiple game modes. Quake is overwhelmingly Duel. Provided the rule set in question has enough depth to it, I don't see it being a problem.

To make this Halo-relevant, the only reason H5's small selection of competitive game modes looks bad is by comparison to previous games and the fact that, generally speaking, I think Halo has thrived on variety and the flexibility of its sandbox (something H5 does horribly at, by the way). And yet, Halo CE is still played pretty much exclusively 2v2 Slayer and CE fans aren't tired of that. Why? Depth.

• Upvote (+1) 7

OK? Honest question. Why?

On a certain level, I can understand the desire for variety, but when has this every REALLY been a problem in sports? Does football have different game-types? No, and it all takes place on a green rectangle of exactly the same size every single game, yet people aren't bored of that (full discloser: I find football boring). This is true of pretty much every non-e-sport. MOBAs don't have multiple game modes. Counter Strike doesn't have multiple game modes. Quake is overwhelmingly Duel. Provided the rule set in question has enough depth to it, I don't see it being a problem.

To make this Halo-relevant, the only reason H5's small selection of competitive game modes looks bad is by comparison to previous games and the fact that, generally speaking, I think Halo has thrived on variety and the flexibility of its sandbox (something H5 does horribly at, by the way). And yet, Halo CE is still played pretty much exclusively 2v2 Slayer and CE fans aren't tired of that. Why? Depth.

CSGO, DoTA, LoL etc.

One gametype allows for greater evolution of meta. It's why we should have stopped at the Halo we like most, and played that till the end of time, the meta would be incredible.

• Upvote (+1) 4

LoL is literally the perfect example of this.

Yeah, the game that changes literally every two weeks and has massive mechanics swaps once a year.

DotA is a better example due to longer patch cycles.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah, the game that changes literally every two weeks and has massive mechanics swaps once a year.

DotA is a better example due to longer patch cycles.

Thanks for the update. You do know the game mode is exactly the same, correct? No one was talking about patches and slight mechanics changes. Sure, the layout of the field is a bit different and some of the characters get re-worked, but the game functions the same exact way for the most part. And obviously, the objective is still the same.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can't tell if this was a joke or not considering the first line was talking about that Moa gif. But keep in mind that if the mods removed those posts like they have done in the past, they will be blasted for removing good conversation, especially considering this conversation was brought up partially because of a scrim that Beyond hosted for $500.

I don't know, screwed if you do screwed if you don't I guess in regards to moderating posts more strictly.

Mostly a joke. The gears stuff was a bit out of hand considering there is a gears thread and it's a little annoying seeing all the unwarranted Gears love. Sure, Gears is doing everything right, but the viewership still isn't there. 

The whole hitmarker thing Is what I was referring to not the radar bit. All of a sudden people started hating on poor grenade hitmarkers. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Mostly a joke. The gears stuff was a bit out of hand considering there is a gears thread and it's a little annoying seeing all the unwarranted Gears love. Sure, Gears is doing everything right, but the viewership still isn't there.

The whole hitmarker thing Is what I was referring to not the radar bit. All of a sudden people started hating on poor grenade hitmarkers.

People have been hating on grenade hitmarkers since they were introduced to the franchise. It just isn't as big an issue as radar and weapon balance.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

We can have a thread with a list of GT's to go with and times to play.

I'd play.

I'm confused about everyone trashing gears' viewership. The point is to g r o w that scene, right? Their first events viewership is higher than we got all of last season (minus finals I think? Moses can chime in if I'm wrong. I only loosely keep up).

Regardless though, I'm pretty sure nobody was expecting 100k for their first event.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm confused about everyone trashing gears' viewership. The point is to g r o w that scene, right? Their first events viewership is higher than we got all of last season (minus finals I think? Moses can chime in if I'm wrong. I only loosely keep up).

Regardless though, I'm pretty sure nobody was expecting 100k for their first event.

Sometimes we need Optic to get to those numbers. Gears is doing great!

This thread the last couple of days has made me want to quit playing halo more than radar and grenade hit-markers combined. Has our Lord and Savior Lethul confirmed or denied he will be attending STL with nV yet?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Grenade hit markers shouldn't even be discussed right now. Its WAY down in the priority list.

i agree but you would imagine removing grenade hit markers would be one of the easier tweaks

i think we should obviously focus on the big issues but we should also focus on the things that would the easiest to fix

-things 343 could change by tomorrow to make the game more competitive-

grenade hit markers

on map nade placements 

(no radar obv but lets start slow)

what else?

• Upvote (+1) 2

:apg:

I said, "Gears is doing everything right, but the viewers still aren't there." 

There is no proof that there is growth. Obviously this is a first event, but if I recall correctly everyone was suggesting we'd see a lot of viewers for the first event and then the numbers go down being that it is MLG and all. That is not the case even with OpTic juice. 

I'm not hating on Gears, but y'all are having a bit of a love affair with it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1