CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I don't mind if Pro's are against Radar, but when the immediate follow up is "it doesn't matter radar or not" then why shoot it down or mock it to begin with? Let's be honest, if Grifball was 2.5 million earlier this year you guys would be grinding it either way.

Props to those players like @@LethuL that articulate their thoughts on the issue btw.

I made the mistake of stating something on twitter. Can't articulate anything on there.

Enable with that extremely rare post. I think no radar gameplay is so exciting, especially seeing as there are far more close quarters team battles and collapses, it's so fun to watch.

However I do thing grenade spam is more prevelant when radar is off, maybe fewer grenades should be allowed off spawn/on maps.

As a side note, Huke is a fucking madman when radar is off.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I said this in a tweet we find the brainwashed comments about no radar to be funny. Not it actually being taken out or not. I personally do not care and am all for whatever will put halo in the right direction. When I read someone say radar has not been in halo for 10 years why start now, I can not help but laugh. Even if radar out is the appropriate move really think about making a comment like that for a completely different game that was made to have radar and sprint. I promise you someone like royal 2 or myself who have had success in both radar and no radar really just want the best for halo and appreciate actual well thought out reasoning. Reading I guess it was Septic post about how he was able to lose and have fun with no radar is something I personally just can't help but see the "honeymoon" in. You can have a totally different opinion and that is cool. Hopefully this allows us to test things and make halo the best possible game it can be.

Also before I get asked I personally think a radar that shows things like thrust/groundpound maybe sprininting would be the best but like I said I dont really mind either way. 

In case you are too lazy to read everything(sorry for long block) take the title halo out of the game and make your evaluation on the game play. If you still believe no radar is the best option that is totally cool and everyone sees where you are coming from at least somewhat. 

Fair enough.

I don't think the Top 8 would honestly change that much with no radar, I think at this point in Halo's life cycle fans are getting bored and none of the new DL have brought any life to this game (at least competitively). I feel the no radar is more to do with changing up the game and bringing another level of competitiveness than anything else as a viewer.

I enjoyed tonight's matches for the most part, and think this would be a good step to hopefully prolong the community until H3A/H6 at this point, because we know we are in a rut..again.

• Upvote (+1) 4

completely different game that was made to have radar and sprint.

Every halo game has been "made to have radar".

Two previous ones have had sprint and I don't think radar would have helped those games be less terrible.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I said this in a tweet we find the brainwashed comments about no radar to be funny. Not it actually being taken out or not. I personally do not care and am all for whatever will put halo in the right direction. When I read someone say radar has not been in halo for 10 years why start now, I can not help but laugh. Even if radar out is the appropriate move really think about making a comment like that for a completely different game that was made to have radar and sprint. I promise you someone like royal 2 or myself who have had success in both radar and no radar really just want the best for halo and appreciate actual well thought out reasoning. Reading I guess it was Septic post about how he was able to lose and have fun with no radar is something I personally just can't help but see the "honeymoon" in. You can have a totally different opinion and that is cool. Hopefully this allows us to test things and make halo the best possible game it can be.

Also before I get asked I personally think a radar that shows things like thrust/groundpound maybe sprininting would be the best but like I said I dont really mind either way. 

In case you are too lazy to read everything(sorry for long block) take the title halo out of the game and make your evaluation on the game play. If you still believe no radar is the best option that is totally cool and everyone sees where you are coming from at least somewhat. 

Yeah but then again, all Halo's were DESIGNED to have radar on. We just chose not to because it was(and still is IMO) a dumb idea to give free information to the players.

• Upvote (+1) 2

(sorry for long block)

This is the best place to discuss these things. On twitter, everyone comes across strongly and "brainwashed" as you put it because they can only state their opinion, there's isn't characters to explain why.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I definitely enjoyed the series tonight, and I thought it was an interesting change of pace for the pros. I am of the opinion that whatever the pros decide, we should go with (since they are the ones playing it). I understand the argument that viewership is important and the viewer's opinion should matter, but we aren't the ones directly affected by the outcome of the change. 

It might not be a popular opinion to have, but I think the pro's opinions need to be considered greatly, even if we don't agree with what they have to say. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

evaluation on the game play.

Whats your take on weapons on map, weapon/powerup placement locations, spawn adjustments, spawn timers etc? Does anything need improving (radar or not) in this sense? How much of an improvement do you think it'd be?

What changes (if any) do you think would be different between the two?

Every halo game has been "made to have radar".

Halo 2/3 didn't have flying across the map, stabilizing jumps, clamber etc. I guess im missing your point.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I just don't think radar is fun. It never was. It never will be to me. There are a lot of reasons you can argue one way or another but for me that is the most important aspect. It is a game after all. 

I do think no radar will have to come with at the very least a few tweaks to weapon layouts. The sword might be a little bit ridiculous in this game. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just don't think radar is fun. It never was. It never will be to me. There are a lot of reasons you can argue one way or another but for me that is the most important aspect. It is a game after all. 

I think the summary goes down like this.

Radar creates micro gameplay that is extremely un-fun and gimmicky

No radar (with Halo 5's current movement) creates unpredictable gameplay that can become uncompetitive in certain situations.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Whats your take on weapons on map, weapon/powerup placement locations, spawn adjustments, spawn timers etc? Does anything need improving (radar or not) in this sense? How much of an improvement do you think it'd be?

Everything right now is bad imo. Servers/weapon layouts on maps, spawns etc etc. Which is why i think this has become such a big issue. I get where people are coming from though. 

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think clamber hurts the gameplay more than sprint. You can't "miss" jumps now.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

guys comprehend that when I say made to have radar I mean sprinting incorporated with these maps. The weapon layouts. thrusting, ground pounding, etc etc. I understand old halo games initially had radar enabled. Obviously you can get where I am coming from when I say halo 5 isnt exactly on the same base as old halo games

Maybe we could tweak stuff like weapon layouts. Just an idea, but maybe no storm rifles or smgs for a start?

Everything right now is bad imo. Servers/weapon layouts on maps, spawns etc etc. Which is why i think this has become such a big issue. I get where people are coming from though. 

Bad in current HCS settings or No Radar settings?

• Downvote (-1) 1

I think the summary goes down like this.

Radar creates micro gameplay that is extremely un-fun and gimmicky

No radar (with Halo 5's current movement) creates unpredictable gameplay that can become uncompetitive in certain situations.

So since this is somewhat of a lose-lose situation, what do you feel should happen? Not what will happen, or what is practical, but what are your preferences?

Lets say this was practical and 343 was open to it; would the majority of us support no spartan abilities competitive H5 on forged maps?

It seems to me like most of us are here waiting for H6 and hoping against hope that 343 decides for some drastic changes.

Maybe we could tweak stuff like weapon layouts. Just an idea, but maybe no storm rifles or smgs for a start?

In my opinion, the best changes we could currently hope for are as follows

• Radar turned off
  • AR's removed from starting loadout
  • Replace SMG's with AR's
  • Replace Storm Rifles with SMG's
  • Decrease the longevity of splinter grenades to 3 seconds

No radar isn't what is causing these problems. it's sprint, slide, thrust and spartan charges that are the problem. Radar being on and off should just be a competitive preference, with no detriments to gameplay but an added layer of awareness and skill.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 2/3 didn't have flying across the map, stabilizing jumps, clamber etc. I guess im missing your point.

H4 had sprint, jetpack, ordinance drops, Prometheus vision etc. We decided to remove some of those things and take out radar to make it at least minimally competitive. My idea for no radar settings wouldn't just be to put in no radar and change nothing else; at a minimum, we could take out autos that give a surprised player no chance to turn the fight around in their favor.

We're about to start going in circles. Well circles within circles anyways lol. We're going to turn off radar then decide sprint etc are a problem and turn those off only to realize the maps aren't the right shape to support that gameplay and then we will beg for maps that are designed with normal movement speed in mind. Maybe then we'll play on mostly forge maps and bump movement speed up until it feels like we're sliding around everywhere. It'll still feel bad. The real problem is that we probably can't "fix" the game. Only 343 can do that.