CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

With how much 343 seems to want radar, what if you just removed the ability to stay off radar by crouching? So the only way you stay off radar is by standing still (which I doubt anyone would "stand still" in a FPS if they wanted to be good).

Simply leave everything as is (perhaps reduce radar radius a bit even) and don't allow crouching to prevent a person from hiding themselves from radar. How is that anything like thermal vision or player outlines? lol I'm not saying that people should show up on radar all the time, regardless of where they are on the map or something. Don't see how eliminating one of the only mechanics that makes radar effective (crouching to hide from radar) is pushing the issue further in the wrong direction. Really confused by your response.

The problem some of us see with radar is how it is abused by giving so much info away regardless of crouching or not. So your fix would be give even more info away, giving the radar more value. I compared it to thermal vision because you want them to be seen at all times unless they stand still. You said it yourself in the first comment that you doubt they'd stand still anyways. My view is radar has gotten to be such a crutch. 

It's the same issue people are having with grenade hit markers. They are being used not just to damage someone, but as a device for finding people. The area of grenade damage is so large. Someone can be hit with just a few hit points(virtually no damage) but what's more damaging is their location is now found out. 

Snakebites statement saying "1)how many of us have actually played and tested no radar in real competitive games."

what does that imply? Does that mean they have tested these a lot of didn't enjoy them or that barely any pros have tested this more than a handful of times?

Snakebites statement saying "1)how many of us have actually played and tested no radar in real competitive games."

what does that imply? Does that mean they have tested these a lot of didn't enjoy them or that barely any pros have tested this more than a handful of times?

The latter. Other than that one no radar 8s (by Lifestyle?), I don't think any player has really played in a no radar setting recently.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The latter. Other than that one no radar 8s (by Lifestyle?), I don't think any player has really played in a no radar setting recently.

commonly streamed no radar 8s with am players. But yea its barely been tested

I'm willing to bet the latter, which makes the poll weird.

Ideally the poll should have been done after No Radar 4v4 was thouroughly tested, or there was a TB funded no radar tournament or something. Like hell, their assumptions are probably right, the game will be better with no radar. Still, test the shit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Honestly I think no radar would be cool to test and hopefully would make the game better, but in my opinion it is just all of the terrible settings/ghost melees/severs being broken that are causing this to be such a huge deal (inb4 I get negged for not saying no radar would save halo and put us past league of legends in viewership xD) 
:Empire on the old world settings was the only map I actually thought autos were overpowered. Now I think they are more now than before
:Fuel rod on truth lets someone camp your base and own your life
:Plasma caster gets a buff and makes it the most OP thing on rig

:And those power weapons have wayyyyyy too much ammo in them that they would need to be removed even with no radar(since I know that was about to be a fix someone suggested xD).

:etc etc

I appreciate and respect a lot of the opinions I see in here and totally get where people are coming from since I even agree it is something that at this point needs to be tested. The only thing that bothers me is seeing no radar being made to be the greatest thing we have ever seen in h5 when 1)how many of us have actually played and tested no radar in real competitive games. and 2) you can put no radar in the game that doesnt stop everyone from hating life after lagging out every other game. 

IDK just my .02 on this whole situation. Keep in mind this is just my opinion I am sure a lot of people will disagree and that is fine

I feel like most people ITT are missing this key bit. No matter what needs to get nerfed or changed, we can't play a fundamentally broken game. Ghost melees can be legitimately game-changing and the amount of lagouts during pro league and the pgl cups are inexcusable. Hopefully the servers being down right now means they are working on something.

Essentially, even with autos and radar, this game won't succeed if the servers can't keep everyone in the game or allow the game to function as intended (ghost melees).

• Upvote (+1) 4

Remove pointless mechanics and replace them with situational but skillful ones instead (looking at you Sprint/Spartan Charge/Ground Pound)

Spartan Charge can eat my ass, but I think that Ground Pounding has been used to create some really cool movement techniques. We've seen it a lot in Pro League/pro play in general.

However, GP obviously needs tweaked. For one, it should absolutely never be a one-hit kill unless the player is absolute. Also (imo) the "stunning" effect should be removed. I've seen Frosty, El Town, Naded, etc do too much cool shit with the mechanic to want it gone completely.

However, GP obviously needs tweaked. For one, it should absolutely never be a one-hit kill unless the player is absolute. Also (imo) the "stunning" effect should be removed. I've seen Frosty, El Town, Naded, etc do too much cool shit with the mechanic to want it gone completely.

GP's existence is necessary with Stabilize in order to enable some of the cool jumps in the game -- Thruster's cooldown lasts just slightly less than the full duration of a stabilize+the pre-charge, cancellable bit of Ground Pound.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Can someone ELI5 why console games almost never do balance changes?

I feel like console developers are just so far behind the ball on this one. Is it a deployment pipeline issue? Changes too hard to make and revert? Or stubbornness?

What's wrong with attempting a balance patch and revert portions of it if it doesn't meet your metrics?

I agree with Snakebite and a few others.

No radar could be a good thing but there are other issues that could creep up and there are other glaring issues that need to be addressed. I think at the point where H5's life-cycle is in things like stable servers and enjoyable settings (excusing radar) are paramount to retaining interest rather than turning radar off in HCS settings.

Would it make it better? Sure! I just hope stability is a priority first and foremost.

You're right, but the fact that 343 have been at the helm for 4 years and still can't make a game that works well online is the problem that has yet to be addressed by 343 or Microsoft.

I just hope stability is a priority first and foremost.

Shouldn't stability and longevity be a priority from launch (pre launch actually) by the developers?

We'd love more enjoyable and balanced settings/maps, and have been trying. It isn't up to us though and we don't have a say in it.

I don't get your post.

there are other glaring issues

Go on. I don't think you've spoken up about these until now.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can someone ELI5 why console games almost never do balance changes?

I feel like console developers are just so far behind the ball on this one. Is it a deployment pipeline issue? Changes too hard to make and revert? Or stubbornness?

What's wrong with attempting a balance patch and revert portions of it if it doesn't meet your metrics?

Lots of games do patches/tweaks on console? Or what sort of balance changes are you talking about?

It costs a decent amount of money to do though. Which is why they're spread out a little more.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think a lot of people are missing something. It's not like no radar is the only thing the competitive community wants. That's just the start, but realistically we had to start somewhere. Ideally servers would work perfectly, ghost melees would be no more, and 343 would completely test every single aspect of Halo Esports. But considering the teeth pulling it was to get breakout removed and the fact that Stasis is still in the rotation, the community had to start somewhere with changes. 

If this prompts 343 to work on things then great, if they only remove radar and other problems arise and that forced 343 to make changes, then great. 

This. I miss the old MLG H3 events where many different games were showcased. Halo was the powerhouse but CoD, GoW, and Smash had their own spaces in the venue, it was a really cool experience to go check out other games while Halo was in between matches etc.

Unfortunately I think those days are over.

It's a lot to hope that it will return to those days. However, the Halo competitive scene is growing, and I do think we're going to continue to make forward progress.

I think a lot of people are missing something. It's not like no radar is the only thing the competitive community wants. That's just the start, but realistically we had to start somewhere. Ideally servers would work perfectly, ghost melees would be no more, and 343 would completely test every single aspect of Halo Esports. But considering the teeth pulling it was to get breakout removed and the fact that Stasis is still in the rotation, the community had to start somewhere with changes. 

If this prompts 343 to work on things then great, if they only remove radar and other problems arise and that forced 343 to make changes, then great. 

I agree, but I don't see any major changes happening with H5, with it already being a year old. At the very least, no large changes would be made until after HWC 2017. I think we're stuck where we're at until H6 unfortunately :/