CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I just read the r/Halo post that @Infinity posted about the pro poll, and I have to give him huge props for the way he's carrying himself (and the competitive community, de facto) with the utmost respect. He's explaining the view of competitive community, breaking things down, and just generally being an awfully good ambassador. Lots of good discourse about weapon balance as it relates to the HCS going on in that thread.

Good on you, dood.

This post brought to you by: the word good.

Good. It's really, very good.

He handles himself well, but I disagree with much of what he's saying.

1) Universal settings is not good for Halo

2) Taking Radar out of all standard Arena modes is not a good idea either.

I REALLY disagree with this:

"At the end of the day, one group of people is going to be pissed off, or Halo will be suffering. 343 needs to decide which they want to pull the trigger on."

It really sounds like he thinks it would be better if 343 pissed on the masses in favor of a niche. That's would be a terrible business decision.

Really, 343 doesn't need to choose ONE side. And they shouldn't. they can very easily please all sides by simply having a standard objective playlist with radar, and an HCS playlist without it.

• Upvote (+1) 6

am i the only person who doesn't think being drunk gives someone a free pass?

You can say some dumb stuff that even your sober self might not agree with but be prepared to accept the consequences.

Spartan does this every few months. Gets drunk, says some sad stupid stuff, deletes half of it by morning. When I'm drunk and depressed I try to stay off Twitter and evidently so should he.

• Upvote (+1) 2

He handles himself well, but I disagree with much of what he's saying.

1) Universal settings is not good for Halo

2) Taking Radar out of all standard Arena modes is not a good idea either.

I REALLY disagree with this:

"At the end of the day, one group of people is going to be pissed off, or Halo will be suffering. 343 needs to decide which they want to pull the trigger on."

It really sounds like he thinks it would be better if 343 pissed on the masses in favor of a niche. That's would be a terrible business decision.

Really, 343 doesn't need to choose ONE side. And they shouldn't. they can very easily please all sides by simply having a standard objective playlist with radar, and an HCS playlist without it.

I totally get the argument for seperately settings, it makes sense to a lot of people especially considering the legacy we have in terms of how we approached eSports in the past (H3/Reach)

In my opinion, universal settings are an absolute NECESSITY for a competitive game or eSport. As Shekkles pointed out earlier in this thread, the three giants (CS, LoL, Dota) are all universally competitive titles.

I don't see how people can tell me that we have a small population/game (albeit growing), unpolished tournament organizers/leagues, etc., and then we want to make a convoluted gameplay split on top of all that? It's completely unconducive for creating a relatable competitive identity for the Halo franchise.

And if I'm being brutally, brutally honest? It makes no sense to me that 343 bothered supporting us, dumped millions of dollars into eSports, and designed the game around competitive play when at the end of the day they were going to half ass certain aspects of the gameplay. (Halo 5 is my favorite Halo title, and I think majority of the gameplay is pretty baller. I'm referring to the small quirky things that frustrate almost all of us)

As I said, this is just my opinion, but I will stand by it firmly.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm just now glancing over the Spartan comments. I think he feels ganged up on or attacked because he doesn't mind/care about radar. So from his perception (not necessarily reality) he doesn't feel in the wrong for what he is saying. If that is true or not isn't something I can speak on. I don't think people wanting radar gone is why he is saying those things. If so, then Spartan you need to take a step back. People are going to want different things and have different opinions...there like butt-holes as the saying goes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Cyren, you're the best. Thank you.

I'm not expecting it to be removed the next day, but at least Josh or someone from 343 acknowledging the Poll and say 'Soon', or something like that.

For goodness grape, not the dreaded "soon" thing again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm going to offer an idea up (please don't neg me like crazy)

With how much 343 seems to want radar, what if you just removed the ability to stay off radar by crouching? So the only way you stay off radar is by standing still (which I doubt anyone would "stand still" in a FPS if they wanted to be good).

The argument against radar, from what I've gathered, is that it promotes people crouching to stay off radar and therefore slowing down the game. A small area for radar that showed anyone moving, regardless of speed, would make the idea of crouching to stay off radar pointless.

Just a thought.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I made this post almost a month ago and I still think this is the best solution for all groups involved.

We need to be pushing for a radar that only detects sprinting, spartan abilities and gun fire. I think this is a fair compromise.

Edit: If this version of the radar were to happen, the radar radius should be expanded, similar to what it was in Halo 3. Why? The radar radius in its current form in Halo 5 would make it almost pointless to look at your radar if people could only be detected by using spartan abilities, sprinting, or shooting. Players will now start to walk around corners and then start to sprint before engaging an enemy giving them an extremely small window to react.

If I had it my way, I would want radar to be removed, but only if spartan charges were also nerfed. Radar being gone will make the AR less effective imo (especially on closed servers when pistols become more effective) so I don't think ARs need a nerf. I'm also open toward pistol starts only.

• Upvote (+1) 2

With how much 343 seems to want radar, what if you just removed the ability to stay off radar by crouching? So the only way you stay off radar is by standing still (which I doubt anyone would "stand still" in a FPS if they wanted to be good).

The argument against radar, from what I've gathered, is that it promotes people crouching to stay off radar and therefore slowing down the game. A small area for radar that showed anyone moving, regardless of speed, would make the idea of crouching to stay off radar pointless.

Just a thought.

So the only guy not on the radar is the one hiding in the cubby on Fathom with a Splinter or the guy on the little awning in Flowers in Plaza?

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

We would love your input on our $28,000 ($500 to FFA) prize pool break down.  We want to maintain transparency as we try to serve the community, AMs, and Pros.  Please comment in the forums and cast your vote on twitter!

Hey for all I know, this event could 100% flop. But I would like to say it's fucking refreshing to see you here asking for so much feedback and offering so much transparency, especially leading up to the event and not during/after.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I totally get the argument for seperately settings, it makes sense to a lot of people especially considering the legacy we have in terms of how we approached eSports in the past (H3/Reach)

In my opinion, universal settings are an absolute NECESSITY for a competitive game or eSport. As Shekkles pointed out earlier in this thread, the three giants (CS, LoL, Dota) are all universally competitive titles.

I don't see how people can tell me that we have a small population/game (albeit growing), unpolished tournament organizers/leagues, etc., and then we want to make a convoluted gameplay split on top of all that? It's completely unconducive for creating a relatable competitive identity for the Halo franchise.

And if I'm being brutally, brutally honest? It makes no sense to me that 343 bothered supporting us, dumped millions of dollars into eSports, and designed the game around competitive play when at the end of the day they were going to half ass certain aspects of the gameplay. (Halo 5 is my favorite Halo title, and I think majority of the gameplay is pretty baller. I'm referring to the small quirky things that frustrate almost all of us)

As I said, this is just my opinion, but I will stand by it firmly.

You and shekkles are both confusing correlation with causation. There are a number of factors that contributed to the growth of those games universal settings is just one of them.

If the majority of halo's population where interested in Esports, they would naturally venture into the playlist that housed the Esports settings. 15years of Halo has already demonstrated that the interest isn't there.

There is a reason Team Hardcore/ MLG were among the least played playlists in H2/3. Do you seriously think that if team objective was removed from those games that those games would have grown in popularity?

There's no logical reason why 343 has to 'pull the trigger' on one community. The biggest opportunity for growth is in giving players in both ends of the spectrum a place to feel at home. It's already a proven recipe for this franchises success.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Well if that was the solution how about you just enable Thermal vision or enable it so players see player outlines like a spectator would? You are pushing the issue further in the wrong direction. A big issue we have is in fights players will fix their eyes on radar watching a red dot. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just a thought.

The sole reason that 343i decided to put radar into the comptetitive playlist is to make the experience more consistent or universal across the board, which is something that many have argued they should do. 

The reality is that radar sucks as far as competitive Halo is concerned, however because it is something that has been in Halo since day 1, it is doubtful they would be willing to remove it. Frankly, I wish they would've taken the chance a gotten rid of it (perhaps replacing it with something else like a tagging system) instead of all the other junk they changed, but that's just me.

I wonder is there any correlation between these stats (sorted by possession time) and the remove radar stats

LbBQeBa.png

• Upvote (+1) 9

This isn't true at all.

• Upvote (+1) 7

How about this idea.

In matchmaking 343 for 1 week tests out no-radar in a separate playlist (probably called HCS)

If 343 finds out, there is a good population in Team Arena and in the HCS playlist, 343 should make it permanent

How does that sound?

Just a thought

But first 343 have to take out radar in HCS.....

Yeah, bit of a sticky situation here.

Or could just call it something else, like Team Hardcore, and let the community decide.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the fact you literally had to write No Disrespect in your post at one point explains anything I need to about it. Thanks for asking though.

Because I said that 343i made the settings this way to get lower levels player's attentions. Knowing Waypoint, they're going to flame me for it.

I was wrong.

Now I'm being flamed for 343i catering to us.

I don't see anything wrong with making the base game work on both a casual and competitive level. The reason it's been different in the past is because the base game didn't work well at all for competitive and developers didn't do anything. At least now the game plays somewhat well in both aspects. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think he gets an awful amount of passes. The thing is, most of the stupid shit Spartan tweets out when he's feeling vulnerable gets deleted by him pretty quickly after posting, which is somehow even weaker. Seriously, over the last few months he's had multiple moments when he's been a complete shithead- he then deletes his jackassery and pretends like it didn't happen or provides some poor excuse.

Most of the time (I know, sometimes you become more brash and ridiculous when drinking), drinking makes someone speak their mind in ways they normally have the control to avoid when sober. Guess what? I believe he said exactly what he meant to say. Drinking really isn't an excuse. It's doesn't provide grounds to say or do dumb shit, even though it makes you more likely to say or do dumb shit. 

If you cheat on your significant other while drinking, did you cheat? If you drive drunk and run over someone's mailbox, did it happen? If you lose your inhibitions while drinking and say some irrational, stupid shit, did you say that irrational and stupid shit?

Drinking may be the catalyst of a multitude of mistakes, but the mistakes were still made. If his "excuse" is "I was drunk," he should own that (which he hasn't yet), even though it's a pretty shitty excuse. 

If he has that much issue keeping himself in check while drinking, he should think about not drinking.

Edit: The same goes for issues with depression/anxiety. I won't go into detail and have no obligation to even share this, but I've been in some extremely harrowing life situations due to my mental state at various points during my so-far 25 year stay on this earth. It's something I battle every day. However, I've never taken it upon myself to shit on others around me due to my feelings, whether they're in my control or not.

yup. using being drunk as an excuse for saying or doing something is such a cop out. We're all adults here..if you dont know how you're going to react when you drink or you cant handle your liquor then stop drinking or go vape like all the other edgel0rds do.

• Upvote (+1) 5

LOL. thanks.  I know he is a troll, but it gives me joy in a strange way.  

When he said that you can't change anything in the game without affecting something, I was so close to flaming him.

I don't know how you do it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

csgo matchmaking settings aren't the same as competitive settings, why do people keep saying that....

CSGO "casual" MM isn't even close to competitive settings.

• Upvote (+1) 5