CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

At this point we're almost a year into this game and it's just tiresome and almost useless to even bring up anymore, but anyway:

When you think about it it's kind of sad that we're thinking of crowdfunding tournaments just so the the pro's that play this game test out settings. Most of the people here who propose these settings don't even make any sort of money playing the game, they just want a "better" arena experience. So here's my question:

How many of the pro's actually want no radar? How many of them actually want less autos? If the majority of them felt like these were important enough, why have I only seen one instance of No Radar 4s on twitch (lifestyle)?

I think there might be a disconnect between what the community here wants and what the actual pro's want. I'd really be interested in seeing some sort of poll from the pro's, for sure. Even if there was a general consensus though, you have to remember that Stasis has remained in the rotation even though the pro's don't usually play it and it's heavily blue favoured.

I think our efforts are better spent on what 99% of us agree that we need. MLG back in Halo, Better LAN locations, etc etc etc.

Settings just seems like a lost cause to me, and has been ever since saw that twitter thread with Rayne and 343 wherein they mentioned "focus groups" lol.

• Upvote (+1) 7

if only this said halo :(

Everything about this looks great, as long as they don't start too early on Friday. I feel bad for anyone that might have to fly to the event on Thanksgiving.

• Upvote (+1) 8

the 8 halo wars fans out there get hype!

i'm SOOO glad they are wasting money on that  :holmes:

Halo wars is actually pretty popular. One of the most watched E3 trailers iirc.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Everything about this looks great, as long as they don't start too early on Friday. I feel bad for anyone that might have to fly to the event on Thanksgiving.

I'm more interested about how many people will show up, I don't think Gears has that big of a competitive community as ours (yeah I know we are also small compared to other franchises).

wow it actually sold 1 million copies, not bad

still has no shot at ever being an esport title (unless they throw a bunch of money at it)

• Upvote (+1) 2

still has no shot at ever being an esport title (unless they throw a bunch of money at it)

You think it'll do well when is compared to other games such as Starcraft? I don't think money will help a lot, unless it's a 2million world championship haha.

You think it'll do well when is compared to other games such as Starcraft? I don't think money will help a lot, unless it's a 2million world championship haha.

nope never, and even if the game is an amazing competitive RTS it still won't succeed as an esport title because asia DGAF about halo and they run RTS

i don't think the money will help either unless it's something stupid, and that would suck because i'd rather see them invest in ACTUAL competitive halo

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sorry for the OT, but who's hyped for BF1?

Played the beta,  not me.  Takes too long to get into engagements and the games take too long to play.

Loved that game.  Not as hyped for the new one after playing the beta though.... if they took the feedback seriously it could be great.  If they are running tournaments for a RTS game though.... they need to be on PC.

I'm more interested about how many people will show up, I don't think Gears has that big of a competitive community as ours (yeah I know we are also small compared to other franchises).

I think thats true, but this is something i have brought up before.  Its not the number of fans you have, its the quality of fans that you have.  You can flourish with a smaller number of fans as long as those people feel important to the community.  People that feel connected to their franchise will spend more money on it more often.  That's how Smash survives.  Thats how Halo built MLG "back in the day". It's a concept that The Coalition seems to understand and so far they have been rewarded for it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

nope never, and even if the game is an amazing competitive RTS it still won't succeed as an esport title because asia DGAF about halo and they run RTS

i don't think the money will help either unless it's something stupid, and that would suck because i'd rather see them invest in ACTUAL competitive halo

I think a lot of people are "shooting for the moon" with esports.  just like traditional sports, i think there is space in the esports scene for big games like DotA and small games like HW2 to survive, as long as they are supported appropriately.  I  hope that esports can get a sustainable striation of games like that and we can consider all of them successful even if they dont have the biggest payouts or viewership.

• Upvote (+1) 2

i mean TB might be contractually obligated to run tournies that mirror the official settings

also it's unfair that TB has to assume the responsibility, nothing is stoping the community from organizing this themselves

How is it "assuming responsibility"? TB can do whatever they want. Choosing to let HCS dictate the settings of TB tourneys is closer to assuming 343s responsibility,

What's the argument against TV running a tournament with settings that the TB community actually wants?

• Upvote (+1) 2

How is it "assuming responsibility"? TB can do whatever they want. Choosing to let HCS dictate the settings of TB tourneys is closer to assuming 343s responsibility, 

??????

i don't even know what you just said man

What's the argument against TV running a tournament with settings that the TB community actually wants? 

time, money, and effort?

potentially contracts too

• Upvote (+1) 1

the 8 halo wars fans out there get hype!

i'm SOOO glad they are wasting money on that  :holmes:

I do remember calling this so get rekt, Moses. 

Also what's teh biggest esport? MOBA which can be considering along the lines of an RTS. Starcraft is still popular so Halo Wars 2 being an esport isn't bad idea. 

Weren't you the one that always wanted to grow the community? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Why would pros play in a tournament that doesn't mirror pro settings" is the argument I see used on here.

Sorry for the OT, but who's hyped for BF1?

have EA Access so I've got 10 hours of play time to hold me over before the game actually comes out. 

Played for a bit last night and my initial reaction is it is so much fun. The maps look amazing and the gameplay was smooth and dynamic. 

To get back on topic,

a 4v4 beyond no radar tourney would be awesome, but it seriously is sad that TB has to be the catalysts for this. Why will 343 not simply create a no radar test playlist? Especially after 343 employees have come in this thread and said they would be open to testing it. IT HURTS MAN, IT HURTS.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I do remember calling this so get rekt, Moses. 

Also what's teh biggest esport? MOBA which can be considering along the lines of an RTS. Starcraft is still popular so Halo Wars 2 being an esport isn't bad idea. 

Weren't you the one that always wanted to grow the community? 

i'm a big fan of the idea so long as this doesn't take resources away from actual competitive halo

i want to grow the competitive FPS halo community, idgaf about anything halo outside of that

• Upvote (+1) 1

i'm a big fan of the idea so long as this doesn't take resources away from actual competitive halo

i want to grow the competitive FPS halo community, idgaf about anything halo outside of that

That's not very considerate. HW was a good seller for MSFT (which is why they made a second) and comp HW2 could grow the Halo brand as a whole. Sure it's not a FPS but growth for the brand is good. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

At this point we're almost a year into this game and it's just tiresome and almost useless to even bring up anymore, but anyway:

When you think about it it's kind of sad that we're thinking of crowdfunding tournaments just so the the pro's that play this game test out settings. Most of the people here who propose these settings don't even make any sort of money playing the game, they just want a "better" arena experience. So here's my question:

How many of the pro's actually want no radar? How many of them actually want less autos? If the majority of them felt like these were important enough, why have I only seen one instance of No Radar 4s on twitch (lifestyle)?

I think there might be a disconnect between what the community here wants and what the actual pro's want. I'd really be interested in seeing some sort of poll from the pro's, for sure. Even if there was a general consensus though, you have to remember that Stasis has remained in the rotation even though the pro's don't usually play it and it's heavily blue favoured.

I think our efforts are better spent on what 99% of us agree that we need. MLG back in Halo, Better LAN locations, etc etc etc.

Settings just seems like a lost cause to me, and has been ever since saw that twitter thread with Rayne and 343 wherein they mentioned "focus groups" lol.

You made some good points.   If certain pro teams are doing really well, there isnt a huge benefit to push for settings to change, especially if the meta shift knocked them out of a top spot.  

I think the ones who benefit the most from setting being changed would be the AM teams and the larger community.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Stick with no radar only.  If you change too many things and the game plays like shit, that makes it harder to tell what was fucking up what.  It's better to make a small change, play with it for a bit, make another small change, repeat.  Changing too many settings also makes it harder on the people that are running the custom lobbies..

That's fair. I guess that ideally we'd be able to test some settings that people are happy with to ensure it's not just a shitshow come tournament time, but that's a good point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's fair. I guess that ideally we'd be able to test some settings that people are happy with to ensure it's not just a shitshow come tournament time, but that's a good point.

^^^^^^^^  This.  

Test new settings :-)  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why would I commit to a series of no radar tournaments if we dont even know it works well?

because it's the 343 way man. Maybe they would respect our opinions more if you did commit to things without knowing if they even work :lxthul:

Any scrims tonight or can I go to bed now?

nV is scrimming Liquid and I heard Frosty say Optic was scrimming in like 2-3 hours.

"Why would pros play in a tournament that doesn't mirror pro settings" is the argument I see used on here.

Because they might enjoy it. Pro's also play Warzone. Pro's also play games other than halo. They don't need to spend every minute they have playing HCS settings.

And if some pros choose not to play in one tournament... It's not the end of the world.

• Upvote (+1) 8