CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

That's not how the real world works.

Its kinda how the sports world works. No one remebers the contracts, they remember the championships. It sucks that pros dont feel comfortable askimg sponsors for money since the whole point of sponsorship is to increase brand recognition. By promoting themselves, team sponsors are able to increase sales of gears, merch, etc. And by helping teams get to events and growing halo they sponsors can make more money and pay their players. Not having money to go to events should not be an issue. The whole point of being a pro is to be able to compete for championships.

Every Optic video now is Maniac or Flame playing COD. You never see them making content with COD players playing Halo. I have completely stooped watching Optics videos. 

You have to take into account that they're playing gb's in cod whereas in halo they'd probably just be playing arena which imo is not that fun to watch

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well all that I know being brought up in Ireland is that we play a few amateur sports but people dedicate their whole lives to it and I assure you their passion for the sport is greater than any paid athlete. They are only looking to solidify their place in history. So you cant really sit there and say thats not how the world works, it works both ways.

Sure, but Halo isn't stable enough to worry about anything other than making a living. Smart people always put financial security over creating a legacy for a game that might be irrelevant in a couple years. 

Obviously I don't want that, but 343 has some changing to do. 

Guys, stop posting reddit threads here. They'll get taken down because it constitutes as brigading by their site rules. 

Hence why the protest thread seems to have been taken down. 

edit: seems like the AR mod thread got deleted as well, but for other reasons. Still though, don't post reddit threads here

Its kinda how the sports world works. No one remebers the contracts, they remember the championships. It sucks that pros dont feel comfortable askimg sponsors for money since the whole point of sponsorship is to increase brand recognition. By promoting themselves, team sponsors are able to increase sales of gears, merch, etc. And by helping teams get to events and growing halo they sponsors can make more money and pay their players. Not having money to go to events should not be an issue. The whole point of being a pro is to be able to compete for championships.

Yeah, but this is an event that's not contributing to the overall league. 

I'd rather every pro show up to UGC, but I'm more interested in these guys selling a lot of passes. I think it's pretty cool that lesser known players might have a shot at some $.

I just wish343 was doing more to help make smaller events successful, sanctioned or not. It's their fault this game has no LAN support, and smaller TOs are going out on a limb to help keep this scene alive IN SPITE of 343s poor decision making.

if they'd make an H5 Host app, I'd be tickled to death.

Are Astro, and Comcast literally the only sponsors there are in the HCS? If someone could find and create a list of all of them that'd be awesome!

They also ran a World of Warcraft add during one event

You have to take into account that they're playing gb's in cod whereas in halo they'd probably just be playing arena which imo is not that fun to watch

Make them play in an open cup.  :kappa:

Sure, but Halo isn't stable enough to worry about anything other than making a living. Smart people always put financial security over creating a legacy for a game that might be irrelevant in a couple years.

Obviously I don't want that, but 343 has some changing to do.

Most pros know that this isnt a lifetime gig. Most have other jobs, go to school, etc when preparing for life outside of esports. Walshy, T2, Bravo, Elamite, Strongside are all where they are now because of their legacy in the game. Legacy will open doors that the money won't.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Most pros know that this isnt a lifetime gig. Most have other jobs, go to school, etc when preparing for life outside of esports. Walshy, T2, Bravo, Elamite, Strongside are all where they are now because of their legacy in the game. Legacy will open doors that the money won't.

Optic/CLG already have a legacy. And the big reputation upgrades happen from winning sanctioned tournaments. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If top teams don't want to do this then that's their prerogative but the weighting of success doesn't solely lie on the developer/publisher. 

IMO at this point in time it pretty much does lie on the developer and publisher.  If we are to take a "grassroots" approach and grow things from the bottom up, we need the tools to do so which have not been provided.

Without true LAN support, only TO's that have access to gigabit+ internet can even think about running a tourney.  Even then, they better be pretty close to an Azure cluster and hope that Halo connects them to it properly.

Without Splitscreen TO's will also have to decide between essentially halving the number of teams they will allow to enter the open portion of the event, or spend twice as much on equipment.

If Competitive halo ultimately fails, it wont be the fault of the pro's that decided not to attend one unsanctioned event or the TO's that tried their damnedest to get it to work, it will be solely the fault of 343/Microsoft.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So what teams other then OG are not going?

Our squad figured that it would kind of shed a poor light on the HCS and competitive Halo in general if a team of relative unknowns came and beat OG in their first lan, so we decided not to go this time.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Guys, stop posting reddit threads here. They'll get taken down because it constitutes as brigading by their site rules. 

edit: seems like the AR mod thread got deleted as well, but for other reasons. Still though, don't post reddit threads here

What if you use the share option to tweet it then post the tweet here? Same thing?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I see pros complaining about the prize pool for the open bracket tournament. What's the difference in payout again? And extra $3,000? 

From reading Snakebite's tweets yesterday, it seems the problem that some pros have with this is that $3000 is also how much 3rd place gets. If all of the pro teams were to show up, the AM team that wins the open bracket still makes more than 4 pro teams even if they get first rounded in the next bracket. Now, does that sound right to you?

I understand why it is being done, not a lot of teams have been showing up and this is really good incentive for AM teams. However, this isn't the incentive we need.

• Upvote (+1) 1

IMO at this point in time it pretty much does lie on the developer and publisher.  If we are to take a "grassroots" approach and grow things from the bottom up, we need the tools to do so which have not been provided.

Without true LAN support, only TO's that have access to gigabit+ internet can even think about running a tourney.  Even then, they better be pretty close to an Azure cluster and hope that Halo connects them to it properly.

Without Splitscreen TO's will also have to decide between essentially halving the number of teams they will allow to enter the open portion of the event, or spend twice as much on equipment.

If Competitive halo ultimately fails, it wont be the fault of the pro's that decided not to attend one unsanctioned event or the TO's that tried their damnedest to get it to work, it will be solely the fault of 343/Microsoft.

The UGC event will have a gigabit or higher connection. Hopefully it will help with the lack of LAN support.

Another big issue is offline gamer tags. Each Xbox has to have gold accounts to play. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I still don't get this rule. Is this a reddit thing or an /r/halo thing? 

This is like two kids having a conversation in the lunch room, and when a third joins in the conversation, they stop talking about it and pretend there was nothing being said. It's kind of hilarious.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still don't get this rule. Is this a reddit thing or an /r/halo thing? 

This is like two kids having a conversation in the lunch room, and when a third joins in the conversation, they stop talking about it and pretend there was nothing being said. It's kind of hilarious.

reddit

it's a great community (reddit), totally fair and balanced ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

reddit

it's a great community (reddit), totally fair and balanced ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Don't worry, if you have a different opinion, nothing will happen to you, you will be fine..

said no one ever..

• Upvote (+1) 2

A bit off topic, but despite how much I hated Locke as a character, some of these would make some pretty accurate emotes for some of the emotions I get reading this thread and watching games.

https://cdna2.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/002/000/546/large/brad-shortt-locke-blendshapes.jpg?1455765134

The source image is too big for me to want to post the picture and piss people off, but here's a couple of the uncanny-valley-afflicted/derpy stand outs:

p4hXg1c.png

ON topic: Is UGC avoiding setting changes? It make sense that they'd want to keep things the same as HCS just for continuities sake, but it would have been a cool opportunity to try things out.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The UGC event will have a gigabit or higher connection. Hopefully it will help with the lack of LAN support.

Another big issue is offline gamer tags. Each Xbox has to have gold accounts to play. 

Thats great for them and should make the event decent, but also makes my point.  

If i wanted to have an event at our local LAN center that has half a dozen stations and 15 meg upload, or get a bunch of friends over at my house that has 4 meg up, its probably going to be riddled with issues.  And any thought of streaming anything would be right out.

It feels like 343 doesn't give a shit about the small events and that they think it doesn't matter.  Whether or not that's actually what they are thinking (i hope its not...) doesn't matter, that's what it feels like to me as a halo fan.  This has really been made apparent lately with all the features and effort The Coalition has put into Gears.

I keep thinking, "This next update will surprise us with splitscreen and LAN support" and it keeps not happening.  Its been 1 year with 9 or so updates and this shit still doesn't exists.  It's unacceptable.

I loved Luke Cage as well. +1

So he can act with proper direction?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I keep thinking, "This next update will surprise us with splitscreen and LAN support" and it keeps not happening.  Its been 1 year with 9 or so updates and this shit still doesn't exists.  It's unacceptable.

xb1 is a potato, it just can't handle halo 5 split screen

it's not gonna happen

now h6....