CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2016 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I hope, being an unsanctioned event, that players on teams that aren't going to UGC can put together some makeshift team. I actually find that really fun to watch. The idea of some of the 343 pro team guys coming out or making teams (Mason and Ogre2, yes please) to play sounds neat as well. Heck it would be cool for teams to mix it up and swap players for an event even. Sort of like moneymatches but in person at an event filled with trash talk, like the old days. I don't necessarily need the best HCS teams to come out to enjoy the event. I just want to see Halo players come out, enjoy spending time with their peers, and play some high quality Halo.

This no LAN support/need 343i "server" shit is so annoying. All this "online" shit is annoying. I want to see stuff like the LAN Network again.  :tear:

• Upvote (+1) 3

This is really such a good idea. Teaching others how to do things is also a good way to hone your skills and figure out the questions that you don't actually have a good answer for. Before CLG moved to Optic, the optic halo team would go to CoD events. Why isn't the CoD team doing the same thing for Halo events?

A shame to think the likes of Crimsix and Formal dont represent their home game of what actually got them into competitive gaming and where they are today, Scump and Karma at least make a bit of sense for not joining in.

Its times like this where I kinda remember that Optic work more as a business rather than a competitive organisation.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

First time poster long time lurker, be gentle guys

The bigggest org in halo Esports with the now the best team, I think their presence at any event would generate a lot of pull and hype. My question to everyone on here especially the pros, after all the shit thats gone down this past weekend and all the talk about how to grow the scene and wanting to see halo esports succeed, although myself and anyone here would respect anyones decision pro or fan for that matter not to attend especially for personal reasons, but do you feel obligated and should you be obligated to attend if its for the benefit of the halo esports right now ?

No, but I think a formal, visible way to show our support would be good.  Not just visible to outsiders, but the the orgs, TO's and devs too.

I was watching a panel with the Rooster Teeth guys and they were explaining the differences between fanbases.  They were basically explaining that they built their business not by having the most fans, but by having the most passionate and loyal fans.  You can make something more economically viable with less people, by making sure the people that are involved are really engaged and feel important to the product.

That's really the driving force behind what makes esports work.  The viewership numbers are not as important as how engaged and loyal those viewers are.  For example, this is how Smash survives despite the age of the game and low relative player count.  I look at games like CoD and realize that the viewership and money for those events is driven by the fact that its multiplatform and has a lot more players and sales overall than Halo.  

We dont need to reach that number of viewers to be successful, we just need to make sure that the fan base feels important so they stay loyal and engaged.  Listen to the community, engage with us, and react thoughtfully but quickly.  Thank you @@Phade you have been a great example of this this past week through the good and bad and its obvious that you and the community has learned a lot and improved quickly.

343/ESL take note...

• Upvote (+1) 4

Everything you posted sounds reasonable to me.

Er, I mean,

YOU'RE LITERALLY KILLING HALO, SNAKEBITE, DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND PEOPLE ONLY WATCH HALO BECAUSE OPTIC GREENWALL BRISK MATE NO RADAR OP AUTOS PUCKETT HALO 3 SNIPER ARKGJAKLRGA

I think some people don't see that ALL CAPS and shitty punctuation from Tiberius "Correct grammar" Audley = sarcasm??

• Upvote (+1) 1

A shame to think the likes of Crimsix and Formal dont represent their home game of what actually got them into competitive gaming and where they are today, Scump and Karma at least make a bit of sense for not joining in.

Its times like this where I kinda remember that Optic work more as a business rather than a competitive organisation.

Crimsix played in CoD tourneys before he competed in Reach.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I hope, being an unsanctioned event, that players on teams that aren't going to UGC can put together some makeshift team. I actually find that really fun to watch. The idea of some of the 343 pro team guys coming out or making teams (Mason and Ogre2, yes please) to play sounds neat as well. Heck it would be cool for teams to mix it up and swap players for an event even. Sort of like moneymatches but in person at an event filled with trash talk, like the old days. I don't necessarily need the best HCS teams to come out to enjoy the event. I just want to see Halo players come out, enjoy spending time with their peers, and play some high quality Halo.

This no LAN support/need 343i "server" shit is so annoying. All this "online" shit is annoying. I want to see stuff like the LAN Network again. :tear:

They should do this. It's not a HCS event so if snakebite can't go, optic could just grab a random 4th and play anyway. Drag formal there by his hair and make him fill in for him. Thatd bring a while bunch of hype to the event that even the standard optic lineup wouldn't bring.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Notable memory from my life for those in the thread to chew on. I remember when I was younger and played Halo 3 a lot. I had me a little team and we played tournaments local in North Alabama, did gamebattles etc etc. We were decent enough but in the scheme of things not great. I remember in 2007 or 2008 or whenever we all loaded up in my little beater and drove to some insignificant tournament in Louisville KY (where we were ultimately put out first round of course). But in attendance were Elamitewarrior and strongside. I don't even remember if they played or not, what I remember is they were there, talking with people, interacting and giving kids like me memories they kept for a really long time. Ultimately because those two guys took 30 minutes out of their time to talk to me and my little buddies I ended up supporting (read: spending $$$$$) on things they were involved with for a very long time.

Hopefully I made my point to those reading.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I think some people don't see that ALL CAPS and shitty punctuation from Tiberius "Correct grammar" Audley = sarcasm??

Or they thought it was trying too hard.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Anakin was the god of settings

Killa KC community testing stuff was pretty awesome too :prayers:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Probably. A lot of people back from early Waypoint days(when I posted the most) had a lot of mixed emotions, more so than now, on that whole topic. SWAT ARs is just what has stuck with me when I see that name.

I really want to post a retort to that thread on reddit but I'm honestly not sure I'm knowledgeable enough to do so. If you titled it well enough it would grab attention and maybe some people would get the misunderstandings cleared up. 

On that note, one thing I noticed about competitive threads on reddit is that they often lack a good title.

For instance I knew I wanted to bring attention to Ryanoob's videos he does, so instead of simply saying "this guy will review your gameplay!" I titled it:

"Ryanoob, a pro Halo player has recently started accepting user submitted videos to critique. He does a fantastic job breaking down every action and explaining his thoughts, yet he barely gets any views which I think is a shame considering the effort put into them"

It was a plea which people like, and it also explained why his videos would be valuable (he's a pro player), and that they they had good production value.

A lot of comp threads there just have the exact title. For articles that's generally okay but for videos and discussions, like the beyond breakdown videos/the gauntlet not having a good title means you are much more likely to be ignored as they aren't as interesting.

Reddit could be a great place to gather more support for Halo but simply put there are some factors like uninteresting titles and obvious little mistakes like spoilers for matches (Something subs like Smite, lol, etc would never do) that get in the way. I also think that clearing up misunderstandings as they arise is worth the five or so minutes it would take to drum up a response.

I often mock the sub but they are a part of our community even if I stare at disbelief at someone getting over a thousand upvotes for a thread titled "outplayed" in which they killed some bronze level player in fiesta who missed every shot with a fuel rod with a suppressor, a gun that literally aims for you.

• Upvote (+1) 3

There is only one man who can save Halo, and America, at this point. 

161010004816-ken-bone-debate-exlarge-169

Totally OT but my father and I were hysterical laughing when this guy stood up and asked his question. 

"This is the biggest night of this guys life"

"Put that outfit on, looked in the mirror for 5 minutes, put two thumbs up and says "nailed it!""

Best part of that debate by far.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Totally OT but my father and I were hysterical laughing when this guy stood up and asked his question. 

"This is the biggest night of this guys life"

"Put that outfit on, looked in the mirror for 5 minutes, put two thumbs up and says "nailed it!""

Best part of that debate by far.

OT: but the look on their faces when one guy in the audience asked them to say one nice thing about one another, was priceless. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I personally find it to be unfair that pro players and community are being forced to carry this massive weight on their shoulders to "save Halo" ths season. We were played such an odd card this season of the HCS, is it really their fault if they can't show up to every single event? We have what? 3 events going on in the span of 2-3 months, 2 of them sanctioned and on the west coast, and one non sanctioned in the Midwest with a bigger prizepool than either of them? 

The blame shouldn't fall to the pros or to the community. The notion of "okay the bad decisions are already made and set in stone, how will you make the best of it" is 100% completely unacceptable, and such an irritating backwards way of approaching this situation. It all starts with the HCS decision making, we are just reacting to these decisions.

I personally found the pandering done this weekend by casters who don't want to read anything negative, who had a microphone and a stream, to be an unfrountnate display. While I think people such as T2 have good intentions at heart, the emotions they are feeling towards pros and the community are misguided.

Imagine if the HCS staff who was present at the event in person, received 1% of real feedback face to face so we can get something accomplished? instead the pros and community are insulted for being "negative" in response to being forced to partake in a program this season that were below community and pro player expectations.

The whole thing is completely backwards. Instead of attacking pros and the community, we should as a collective be questioning why 343 was only half in tune with what the pros+community actually needed for Halo eSports to grow.

I feel like I'm losing hair over thinking about this nonsense sometimes.

I've been saying that for a while. It is not our job to "save Halo." I am not on the HCS payroll. I want to see 343 and its partners trying hard - not delegating tasks to the community.

Halo is a billion dollar franchise. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I need to give the biggest of big thank you's to Tashi, Ellen, and the rest of the 343 crew for their help in setting up dev kits.

While this is nice, wouldn't it be nicer if we didn't have to run dev kits...? Not your fault of course, but 343/MS needs to take note.

I did my best to listen to you guys, despite what I honestly think was extremely poor 'constructive criticism' as a collective. Not necessarily from everyone, but a lot of people who are generally respected here. This is the paraphrasing part, but I remember reading "Fuck esports arena. I hope they never touch halo again, fuck this." I also remember reading "Phade is a fucking pancake". I think that's an insult. My point is that while yes I was receptive and made a lot of changes you guys asked for, as a community we need to be a little bit more supportive start to finish with TOs.

I agree. "Feedback" was a bit "extreme" at the start. Sometimes I come on the forums and it's hard not to join in, sort of a mob mentality. I think ESA/you got it a bit worse because people were just coming off the banter of MLG vs 343 postings. People were on edge and this place is already a bit "sarcastic" at times. Beyond the delays in the beginning of the tournament, as a viewer I didn't have any major issues.

It took a few days for me and my team to really iron out a lot of our kinks, and even then there are things I wish we could have done differently, and would have been able to with more prep time (not and excuse because it's our fault).

That was the feeling I was getting. I think that is what ultimately drove Mikwen and crew to speak out. They felt like things were just unorganized and not planned well. Unfortunate because it seems like when the ESA crew is in full effect it does a very good job.

Finally I want to talk about expectations. As a halo fan myself I share a lot of the same expectations as the rest of you. I want big open LANs with awesome production and a hype audience. I too want MLG involved in Halo, because they put on a great show in the past, and still have some good stuff going with CoD. I will say that current CoD Open's do not resemble what I remember of the 'Good old days' of 2009/2010. This is where the expectations come in. Companies like Esports Arena, P5 Studios, PGL, and UGC can put on some kick ass shows, but they aren't going to match those glory days, or what you see from ESL at World Champs or Season Finals. These open events are being held on a MUCH smaller budget.

Great point. Personally, I don't think anyone or any game is doing it like it was back then. I just don't get the same feeling from events like those days. Those days grew from a HUGELY popular game with very little competition. It was like the DOTCOM era of gaming IMO.

Sponsors just aren't super interested. This means that Esports Arena took a HEAVY hit on this event, but we still shot to provide a good product where we could, without sinking ourselves even further.

THIS. This right here is THE MOST important point. This is something 343/MS needs to be worried about and needs to address. When you see this change you will know Halo has growth in the future. This isn't the TO's, players, fans fault. This is a result of the game not being popular enough, Halo and Halo eSports not being appropriately marketed, and poor management of a franchise that used to be the epitome of console shooters.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Every Optic video now is Maniac or Flame playing COD. You never see them making content with COD players playing Halo. I have completely stooped watching Optics videos. 

Optic made their name on COD success, a lot of their content creators are COD players so it makes sense that they have that as priority number one. I think they can use that popularity to cross over into other e-sports.

I'm no COD fan but it is kinda fun to see Scump ROFL stomp casuals in random lobbies. He gets 80+ kills regularly.

Joke's on you bud. It's a Sheriff's Badge  :simms:

yo9NLxr.jpg

Photoshop is fun! Le Original:

49VBtPa.jpg

This deserves 100 upvotes, guys. S-tier meme

• Upvote (+1) 5

da hell? Why is @@Neighbor blocking me on twitter, I don't even remember interacting with him once

Probably didn't want ice

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm really excited for competing in Vegas (my first event) and I'll be pretty sad if most of the pro teams aren't there.

• Upvote (+1) 1